March USMLE Test Takers Safe Space to Support Each Other :) - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 26
Threads: 11
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Noir
Listening March USMLE Test Takers Safe Space to Support Each Other :)

My exam is March 22nd and I am freaking out!!! I know people say to study 14 hours a day or something around this time, but I don't think I have the stamina... I'm trying to keep it up, but I don't know, ahhhh, I'm freaking myself out... Anyway, I want to do well and everything, and I'm hoping there are others in the same situation that feel alone and don't have a place to get support (My roommate doesn't go to med school and has no idea the constant amount of stress i'm under). I hope we can all help boost each other's spirits...

For example, what do you guys do when you're not studying to decompress?

I sometimes stare at my wall, it's white and I try to clear my head. It might sound a little crazy, but it's relaxing.

This is how I feel right now + +

Hope everyone is staying strong, and if you have any tips about relaxing during these last couple weeks please share
__________________
"You're in medicine, you gotta accept the fact that everything we do here -- everything -- is a stall. We're just trying to keep the game going; that's it." - Dr. Cox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012), usmle_taker (03-04-2012)



  #2  
Old 03-04-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Its great that you started this thread ........ may be all march step takers should join in so we can discuss our progress ....

freaking out too , my exam is on 30 march .......

read another post in another forum and am just depressed at what i will score , here it is for other to read .......

"" Took mine on Friday and feel as if I was academically raped. I went through FA 4+ times, did all of kaplan qbank (78%), all of uworld qbank (80%), both uworld practice tests (265+ on both), and all the nbme practice tests (245 on 3, 254 on 5, 247 on 6, 250 on 7, 252 on 11, and 261 on 12). The real deal blew them all out of the water in terms of difficulty. On uworld qbank questions for example they might be 2 or 3 steps that require you to think critically but if you know your stuff you can usually figure them out. On my real test though I was bombarded with1-step questions but over topics I was totally unfamiliar with and were NOT covere at all in FA. I felt like every other question was some obscure minutae of anatomy. I also got plenty ridiculous molecular bio questions that totally threw me through a complete loop. The only saving grace was the microbio, of which there was a lot of. Since the exam I have been looking up questions that I remembered causing me anguish and the incorrect counter is already up to 15. And that's just the ones I remembered and could prove for a fact I got wrong. Going into the exam I was expecting mid 250s, but realistically I might be down into the 220s after that massacre. Hello family med! If you take anything from this rant it is this: at least in my experience FA is NOT adequate. At all. Also, all practice exams are deceptively easy. Beware. """


i just dont know what to do , which book to read , USMLE had to screw this exam just right before i could give it ......

Everyone just writes how bad it was but no one can tell us Yes the answers are there in kaplan so read it or some other damn book ...... everyones like FA is not enough , but please go ahead and say what should be done ........ I am not half the scores the above guy and if he cannot i might wont even pass ....... , usmle no longer appears to be a standarderised ....... god know how we are to adapt to this .... just waiting for a few scores to come so we may know what's the logic behind this .........

sorry not to demoralise anyone , but its smart to know your problem and find a way to it ..... i you guys know anyone close who had just taken the exam please try to find out what the Qs where like ?? and where are the ans from ?? kaplan ?? some other book ?? .... and please do share it would be worth gold to all .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012)
  #3  
Old 03-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 26
Threads: 11
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Noir
Default

I don't take much advice from these types of responses because they haven't gotten their score back yet.... I know when I do questions, (like I just did), I am not sure how many I got right. Out of every 10, I'd say there are 2 or 3 that I would say I'm 100% confident on the answers... which means, it's possible I would get a 30% on the test. You have to remember that these fears are amplified by the weight of the test...

I think it's best to only trust reviews coming from people who:

a) have already gotten their scores back
b) enough time has passed that they are not all worked up about their exam and can think objectively about what it was like

Just my opinion. And, I have read a few posts like those recently and it does worry me a little, but I am going to stick to my FA + UW.... if those sources aren't the best one's to look at I'll take my chances, till someone gives me a better option.

I know you're worried, I am too, but I do want this thread to try to be more uplifting rather than fear mongering.. like, cool inspiring youtube videos to watch, or different ways we can build each other up. I say stick with what you are doing and try not to let a single thread of fear break you down. The test is scary enough by itself without people telling us we are doing the wrong thing (using FA + UW, etc.).

I hope this makes sense and try not to let it get to you too much. You can only study so much to prepare for this exam (It's a mantra I have to repeat to myself quite often^^)

Edit: I should've mentioned I got an 80% on the quiz/test, which I'm pretty happy about. Just so you don't think I'm going around getting 30% on quizzes and being like, "Sweet!" And also, to let you know, I've been getting my share of below average scores on practice questions too which leave me not so content. I think the key to the last couple weeks, in addition to solidifying info and realizing where you're weakest in, is building your confidence, whatever your scores. If you are going to take the test, you need to walk into that test believing that you will do as well as you can. The more you focus on threads like the one above that make you doubt yourself, the more unsure of yourself/your prep you are going to be. Which is why I try to ignore it, unless it has some real value.
__________________
"You're in medicine, you gotta accept the fact that everything we do here -- everything -- is a stall. We're just trying to keep the game going; that's it." - Dr. Cox

Last edited by Noir; 03-04-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 03-04-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

well i guess we dont have the time to wait for their results

i guess , i rather take this seriously and ask for more help , may be some one could provide some valuable guidance ...... rather than sticking to what i think is right and then after the exam feeling like " Ya that guy seemed right should have known more about what should be done about this and feel sorry "
there's no doubt we are going to stick to what we do , but to just neglect someones experience specially some one with the above scores and just blindly keep faith in what we do , would not be great ..... its better to prepare for the worst rather than keeping our own track , these days are crucial to us may make or break our score ..... so just wanted to know if we could find a way to it ....

goodluck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012)
  #5  
Old 03-04-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 101
Threads: 21
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

Thanks for his thread! I feel same as you

good luck to everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-04-2012
patho2012's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 213
Threads: 13
Thanked 119 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
well i guess we dont have the time to wait for their results

i guess , i rather take this seriously and ask for more help , may be some one could provide some valuable guidance ...... rather than sticking to what i think is right and then after the exam feeling like " Ya that guy seemed right should have known more about what should be done about this and feel sorry "
there's no doubt we are going to stick to what we do , but to just neglect someones experience specially some one with the above scores and just blindly keep faith in what we do , would not be great ..... its better to prepare for the worst rather than keeping our own track , these days are crucial to us may make or break our score ..... so just wanted to know if we could find a way to it ....

goodluck
My exam is several days after March, so may I join you guys?
Hit man, calm down. This guy knows he would score at least 220 something, which means there are a bunch of Qs he is sure about...There are experimental Qs and IMGs have problem get them right because we are not used to the PBL style of Qs. This guy surely expected to score 270+ and when he could not reach his goal, he panicked esp after the exam. Of course the exam is not easy and you should be alert and prepared but don't let the exam fever take over you. Stick to your plan! If I were you, I would PM him 3 weeks later or take his opinion with a grain of salt.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012), Noir (03-04-2012)
  #7  
Old 03-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 15
Threads: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Yes...this has definitely freaked the living daylights out of me...i saw that post yesterday

Any recent test takers have any input? I have a feeling the dude will do just fine considering his scores going into the exam. However for people with mediocre scores 200- 220- that sort of an experience might be detrimental for us.

But then again, after focusing on FA this whole time, theres really nothing we can do, even if the exam has changed or has gotten more difficult- who wants to spend another 6 months or whatever.. reading a whole new resource??? Whatever happens happens. Theres only so much you can do/prepare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012), patho2012 (03-04-2012)
  #8  
Old 03-04-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

Just to give a little comfort:

We have to proceed with caution regarding this emerging trend in step 1.

After exams, we always tend to think about the questions we are not sure about and agonize about them. There is a tendency of "recall bias". For example, if I took the exam and found biochem questions hard, after the exam, it would seem to me that there were tons of biochem questions in it. Even if the exam in reality contains only a handful or decent amount of biochem -- it's just that my perception of it is distorted.

Of course, I am not saying that the recent exam-takers have it all wrong. Even if the recent exam-takers were correct in their perception of the test, it's not the end of the world for us. I have a friend who said the EXACT same thing -- that the MAJORITY of his questions were from molecular biology and genetics and that they were EXTREMELY difficult...

But he still got a 240+.

The truth is, the exam generates random and different questions for everyone. There is a big chance that we'll get a different set of questions that these really hard ones. We also have to take in consideration experimental questions which could have been these out-of-this-world questions.

Let's just then prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by d_wiqed; 03-04-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
avash.nrs (03-05-2012), bluefiya (03-04-2012), Noir (03-04-2012), patho2012 (03-04-2012), terminator (03-05-2012)
  #9  
Old 03-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 26
Threads: 11
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Noir
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Just to give a little comfort:

We have to proceed with caution regarding this emerging trend in step 1.

After exams, we always tend to think about the questions we are not sure about and agonize about them. There is a tendency of "recall bias". For example, if I took the exam and found biochem questions hard, after the exam, it would seem to me that there were tons of biochem questions in it. Even if the exam in reality contains only a handful or decent amount of biochem -- it's just that my perception of it is distorted.

Of course, I am not saying that the recent exam-takers have it all wrong. Even if the recent exam-takers were correct in their perception of the test, it's not the end of the world for us. I have a friend who said the EXACT same thing -- that the MAJORITY of his questions were from molecular biology and genetics and that they were EXTREMELY difficult...

But he still got a 240+.

The truth is, the exam generates random and different questions for everyone. There is a big chance that we'll get a different set of questions that these really hard ones. We also have to take in consideration experimental questions which could have been these out-of-this-world questions.

Let's just then prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Good luck to everyone!

Well put. I forgot to post this before, it's kinda cheesy but i like to watch it from time to time... http://youtu.be/yqFCxaJXNUs

Okay time for bed... also, guys/gals, don't underestimate the importance of SLEEP schedule in these last few weeks. At least, I think it's important. Good night. I will be back to this thread tomorrow.

god speed.
__________________
"You're in medicine, you gotta accept the fact that everything we do here -- everything -- is a stall. We're just trying to keep the game going; that's it." - Dr. Cox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-06-2012), patho2012 (03-04-2012)
  #10  
Old 03-05-2012
avash.nrs's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 441
Threads: 53
Thanked 258 Times in 153 Posts
Reputation: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Its great that you started this thread ........ may be all march step takers should join in so we can discuss our progress ....

freaking out too , my exam is on 30 march .......

read another post in another forum and am just depressed at what i will score , here it is for other to read .......

"" Took mine on Friday and feel as if I was academically raped. I went through FA 4+ times, did all of kaplan qbank (78%), all of uworld qbank (80%), both uworld practice tests (265+ on both), and all the nbme practice tests (245 on 3, 254 on 5, 247 on 6, 250 on 7, 252 on 11, and 261 on 12). The real deal blew them all out of the water in terms of difficulty. On uworld qbank questions for example they might be 2 or 3 steps that require you to think critically but if you know your stuff you can usually figure them out. On my real test though I was bombarded with1-step questions but over topics I was totally unfamiliar with and were NOT covere at all in FA. I felt like every other question was some obscure minutae of anatomy. I also got plenty ridiculous molecular bio questions that totally threw me through a complete loop. The only saving grace was the microbio, of which there was a lot of. Since the exam I have been looking up questions that I remembered causing me anguish and the incorrect counter is already up to 15. And that's just the ones I remembered and could prove for a fact I got wrong. Going into the exam I was expecting mid 250s, but realistically I might be down into the 220s after that massacre. Hello family med! If you take anything from this rant it is this: at least in my experience FA is NOT adequate. At all. Also, all practice exams are deceptively easy. Beware. """


i just dont know what to do , which book to read , USMLE had to screw this exam just right before i could give it ......

Everyone just writes how bad it was but no one can tell us Yes the answers are there in kaplan so read it or some other damn book ...... everyones like FA is not enough , but please go ahead and say what should be done ........ I am not half the scores the above guy and if he cannot i might wont even pass ....... , usmle no longer appears to be a standarderised ....... god know how we are to adapt to this .... just waiting for a few scores to come so we may know what's the logic behind this .........

sorry not to demoralise anyone , but its smart to know your problem and find a way to it ..... i you guys know anyone close who had just taken the exam please try to find out what the Qs where like ?? and where are the ans from ?? kaplan ?? some other book ?? .... and please do share it would be worth gold to all .......
The fact is that the score this guy got in his practise is almost double than me..but still n need to panick..u see a new nbme form 13 coming out..i mean exaam pattern maybe changing a bit..but u know we are studying the same books..one month before the exam(my exam on 2nd april) one cannot turn back to KLN and expect things to go right..i mean be realistic will be my mantra..will go with only FA+UWORLD..u know the risk ratio is high but atleast its less than when one is trying to go through whole new things in the last month of prep...these posts also used to get me anxious before..but sooner i understood..the more i panic,the more extension of date will happen and i seem to stuck with step 1 only and never become a doctor again...USMLE is not about only scores..i mean yeah gud scores is important but they value ur usces,lors too..so just chill man..its tough exam no doubt..the 7th toughest exam in the world in pearson study but men do pass it and get good marks and in US they need doctors and mostly they are not biased...they do accept imgs and so people will get in like us..backing one's own strength seems to be my mantra now because these last days u can brush up what u didnot cover(weird topics)...and neglect the others(the most generally tested ones)..and at the exam day u see these known qs and u have to take a wild guess just bcoz u swayed due to some words from another guy...believe me thats more painful ....just chill..its the heat..just dont let these take over u and get the better out of u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-06-2012)



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Step 1 takers... march-april-may 2012 moske USMLE Step 1 Forum 303 03-20-2012 04:17 AM
Am i safe to take the test? DrElix USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 08-08-2011 01:45 PM
Question for RECENT test takers! noone_123i USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 10-17-2010 09:33 PM
collapsed lung + air in pleural space Seetal USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 04-24-2010 07:44 PM
Advice from recent test takers? Cubioh USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 09-19-2009 07:26 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)