low score nbme 7 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-07-2012
sandy282's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 78
Threads: 22
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Thumbs Down low score nbme 7

guys ma exam is about in 3 weeks...i got 490 in nbme 7 which is equal to 219 3digit score on step1...what should i do now...its killing....how can i improve..need ya advice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-07-2012
sandy282's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 78
Threads: 22
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

come on guys.....!!!its too urgent...n i really feel so bad when m not replied most of times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-07-2012
sandy282's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 78
Threads: 22
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

n i did uworld n kaplan n f.aid...so to improve ma score what should i need to go through at this time...it would be so nice to get ya advise...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-07-2012
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 653
Threads: 47
Thanked 409 Times in 249 Posts
Reputation: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy282 View Post
n i did uworld n kaplan n f.aid...so to improve ma score what should i need to go through at this time...it would be so nice to get ya advise...thanks
I know what you mean. I'm going with Doctors in Trainning, and will do revise genetics as it was my weakest link. Plus this time i will dig more deeply in my UW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-07-2012
sandy282's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 78
Threads: 22
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

ok george i got it... u mean i should revise those areas in which m not pretty good...but from where to go through the stuff again?should i revise first aid again??m not very clear on how to proceed with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Rabail (12-16-2012)
  #6  
Old 03-07-2012
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 653
Threads: 47
Thanked 409 Times in 249 Posts
Reputation: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy282 View Post
ok george i got it... u mean i should revise those areas in which m not pretty good...but from where to go through the stuff again?should i revise first aid again??m not very clear on how to proceed with this.
I'm just saying what i'm going to do, because i'm in a similar situation.

Definetly finish to master FA, because i have most of it memorized, but not mastered, i know know i have lots of weak areas in FA.

But what i know i can't improve with FA is genetics, so i will revise Kaplan and try to do more questions.

The other thing is UW i will try to revise it more thoroughly this time.
Sucks to be close from the exam and not being ready as you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-07-2012
sandy282's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 78
Threads: 22
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Cool

hey george lets try to read it this tyme in a much through way...n c where we stand...all da very best dude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-07-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Go through your weak areas again in FA and if thats not enough then go to the other sources you have used (Kaplan). Try to go over the questions (NBME,UWORLD) that you have done and figure your weak areas.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 331 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 351
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

I am facing the same situation guys.I did FORM 12 And it is very demoralizing to score less in online form! I need to improve 15-20 points and I dont know how this will happen!! and my exam in in 21 days!! Any advice?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouman View Post
I am facing the same situation guys.I did FORM 12 And it is very demoralizing to score less in online form! I need to improve 15-20 points and I dont know how this will happen!! and my exam in in 21 days!! Any advice?!
I would say the same thing I said above...
Go through your weak areas again in FA and if thats not enough then go to the other sources you have used (Kaplan). Try to go over the questions (NBME,UWORLD) that you have done and figure your weak areas.
Plus you can go through DIT (I heard it improves your point by 20 or so.. But again I didn't do DIT yet so I am not sure).
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 331 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 351
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka View Post
I would say the same thing I said above...
Go through your weak areas again in FA and if thats not enough then go to the other sources you have used (Kaplan). Try to go over the questions (NBME,UWORLD) that you have done and figure your weak areas.
Plus you can go through DIT (I heard it improves your point by 20 or so.. But again I didn't do DIT yet so I am not sure).
Good luck!
Cant risk new things like DIT now! But I am struggling with THE SO CALLED GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF HEALTH AND DISEASE in the online NBME Form 12. 18 incorrect. How can I cover this Weakness!!!! Is it my molecular which is weak or is it a different subject?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 331 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 351
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

never mind just googled it and found the results on THE GENERAL PRINCIPLES of HEALTH and DISEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 644 Times in 408 Posts
Reputation: 654
Default

if i were you, id do DIT.
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouman View Post
never mind just googled it and found the results on THE GENERAL PRINCIPLES of HEALTH and DISEASE!
waw!
I guess when my time comes I will have to search for it as well...
Can you send me the link...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 331 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 351
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NickRiviera View Post
if i were you, id do DIT.
Hmm...The question I am asking myself, " Is it worth to start DIT now especially when i am left with almost 19-20 days?" I dont even know what the program is!! Can you kindly explain me about the whole DIT thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 331 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 351
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka View Post
waw!
I guess when my time comes I will have to search for it as well...
Can you send me the link...
How to improve in General Principles of health and disease?

What are general principles of health and disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-08-2012)
  #17  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 644 Times in 408 Posts
Reputation: 654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouman View Post
Hmm...The question I am asking myself, " Is it worth to start DIT now especially when i am left with almost 19-20 days?" I dont even know what the program is!! Can you kindly explain me about the whole DIT thing?
its a walkthrough FA program
people say it increases your score by 10pts
one guy said it increased his by 20!

i think rather than reading FA on your own in the same mundane way youve surely done multiple times now, its better to go through it in a new way, that way more will stick and your brain will be stimulated from a different perspective.
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Nouman (03-08-2012)
  #18  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 331 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 351
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NickRiviera View Post
its a walkthrough FA program
people say it increases your score by 10pts
one guy said it increased his by 20!

i think rather than reading FA on your own in the same mundane way youve surely done multiple times now, its better to go through it in a new way, that way more will stick and your brain will be stimulated from a different perspective.
FA is not my Primary Book. Read it just once before and now finishing with my second read. Its good for micro, pharma and bio but deficient in other subjects! But still I admit that I have problem memorizing almost everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 03-08-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 889 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 906
Default

@Nouman:

This thread may help you decide: http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-st...-1st-time.html

DIT (Doctors in Training) is a 2-week course designed to help us master FA. It uses FA as a textbook and goes over it during the course. It was once described as, like reading the book with someone. Since it uses FA, it basically aims to strengthen high yield knowledge.

For IMGs like me, after laying down the foundation with Kaplan, we use this as a "refresher" or quick review course 3 - 4 weeks before their exam.

Basically, the guy just reads from FA and tells you which parts are high-yield. He has a five-star system. 5-stars for super high-yield, so on and so forth. He gets the info from his survey of previous test-takers. This is then coupled with quizzes per day. Hence, DIT is FA via active learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Nouman (03-08-2012)
  #20  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 331 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 351
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
@Nouman:

This thread may help you decide: http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-st...-1st-time.html

DIT (Doctors in Training) is a 2-week course designed to help us master FA. It uses FA as a textbook and goes over it during the course. It was once described as, like reading the book with someone. Since it uses FA, it basically aims to strengthen high yield knowledge.

For IMGs like me, after laying down the foundation with Kaplan, we use this as a "refresher" or quick review course 3 - 4 weeks before their exam.

Basically, the guy just reads from FA and tells you which parts are high-yield. He has a five-star system. 5-stars for super high-yield, so on and so forth. He gets the info from his survey of previous test-takers. This is then coupled with quizzes per day. Hence, DIT is FA via active learning.
Thanks a lot...I will look into it and decide about it But I dont know whether it will help me or not as I haven't done FA multiple times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 03-08-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 889 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouman View Post
Thanks a lot...I will look into it and decide about it But I dont know whether it will help me or not as I haven't done FA multiple times.
Yep, that can be a problem. DIT is pretty fast-paced. In this thread, http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-st...ple-times.html, drbedi said it might take you longer than 2 weeks. DIT is most effective if you've already read through your notes and FA thoroughly before. It's like a last brush up on FA.

Don't change your study plan as late as this if you're not comfortable. Stick with your plan. Revise FA + UW and just throw in mcqs/day. =)

An option other than DIT is to read FA and then answer usmlerx questions (per topic) in a fast manner after. Just to reinforce the material. Also, I'd suggest to just keep doing nbmes at least once a week. I think it's the best resource of random questions (if you're done with UW), near the end of the prep. (I saw your threads on nbme dicussion, I think you're doing just that already.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Nouman (03-09-2012)
  #22  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Thanks! I will start looking into it...

And Like d_wiqed said don't change ur plan if ur not comfortable using other sources (DIT) now. If you want you can do a video (1.30 hr) and see if that works for you. If you think it wont then stick to whatever you are doing now.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 03-09-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 331 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 351
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Yep, that can be a problem. DIT is pretty fast-paced. In this thread, http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-st...ple-times.html, drbedi said it might take you longer than 2 weeks. DIT is most effective if you've already read through your notes and FA thoroughly before. It's like a last brush up on FA.

Don't change your study plan as late as this if you're not comfortable. Stick with your plan. Revise FA + UW and just throw in mcqs/day. =)

An option other than DIT is to read FA and then answer usmlerx questions (per topic) in a fast manner after. Just to reinforce the material. Also, I'd suggest to just keep doing nbmes at least once a week. I think it's the best resource of random questions (if you're done with UW), near the end of the prep. (I saw your threads on nbme dicussion, I think you're doing just that already.)
I have done UsmleRX for few subjects. Around 200 questions in my 2nd read. I do recommend that to everyone..Its a must if you are doing FA. And yes I am doing NBMES religiously even if i score less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-09-2012)



Reply

Tags
NBME-, USMLE-Scores

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Score dropped from NBME 6 to NBME 7 maria_d USMLE Step 1 Forum 13 06-14-2012 09:41 PM
Cant's translate good UW score into good NBME score! warriodoc USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 06-05-2012 08:05 PM
NBME 5 score vs. Real score noone_123i USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 7 05-11-2012 04:12 AM
NBME 5 score vs. Real score noone_123i USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 02-06-2011 05:13 PM
NBME 7 ...score 600/ 244 usmleguy USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 09-28-2010 06:42 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)