IMG with step 1 failure - chances of fellowship? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default IMG with step 1 failure - chances of fellowship?

I'm a medical graduate from Ireland. I graduated in the top third of my class with honours in all subjects and am set to get onto the basic training scheme (residency -5-8 years) of my choice in Ireland. Many Irish doctors undertake a 2-3 year fellowship in the states and come back to Ireland as specialist consultants in their field. I always liked the sound of this option, but I sat Step 1 when I was young and put very little work into it resulting in me completely bombing it with a score of 175. I know if I put in the work and re-sat it a few years down the line I would get 230ish. Is there a point in me going through this effort and resitting the exam or is it a lost cause? Bear in mind that at my time of applying for fellowship I'll have at least 5 years working in the field on a recognised training scheme in Ireland. Be honest, if this is a waste of time I will drop this dream and pursue my fellowship training elsewhere - not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 12-01-2015
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 301
Threads: 5
Thanked 234 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle91 View Post
I'm a medical graduate from Ireland. I graduated in the top third of my class with honours in all subjects and am set to get onto the basic training scheme (residency -5-8 years) of my choice in Ireland. Many Irish doctors undertake a 2-3 year fellowship in the states and come back to Ireland as specialist consultants in their field. I always liked the sound of this option, but I sat Step 1 when I was young and put very little work into it resulting in me completely bombing it with a score of 175. I know if I put in the work and re-sat it a few years down the line I would get 230ish. Is there a point in me going through this effort and resitting the exam or is it a lost cause? Bear in mind that at my time of applying for fellowship I'll have at least 5 years working in the field on a recognised training scheme in Ireland. Be honest, if this is a waste of time I will drop this dream and pursue my fellowship training elsewhere - not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things!
step 1 score is certainly one of the important things residency programs use as filters to select candidates for interviews and a 2nd attempt on step 1 could be a setback during this. But if you score very well on the 2nd attempt, complete the remaining steps with decent scores, do usce/research with good lors, then you certainly have a shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
danielle91 (12-01-2015)
  #3  
Old 12-01-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Thank you for your help! Just to clarify I wouldn't be applying for residency as I would have completed it already in Ireland, just for a fellowship. Does this make any difference to my chances? Is a fellowship programme harder to get into than a residency programme or visa versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 12-01-2015
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 301
Threads: 5
Thanked 234 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle91 View Post
Thank you for your help! Just to clarify I wouldn't be applying for residency as I would have completed it already in Ireland, just for a fellowship. Does this make any difference to my chances? Is a fellowship programme harder to get into than a residency programme or visa versa?
Sorry to disappoint you but you have to complete residency in US to be eligible to apply for fellowship match. this is from the nrmp fellowship match for international graduates, "To qualify for positions in fellowship programs, applicants must have completed a core residency training program."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-01-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 161
Threads: 18
Thanked 92 Times in 51 Posts
Reputation: 102
Default

No dude you can do fellowship in the US after residency in another country. You have to answer the USMLE first. But the catch is you can't practice in the states after that. If you want to do that you have to repeat your residency in the states after fellowship.
I guess if you have good scores, good LORs and research publications, it can make up for the extra attempt. At least thats how it works for residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
danielle91 (12-02-2015)
  #6  
Old 12-01-2015
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 301
Threads: 5
Thanked 234 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by datson View Post
No dude you can do fellowship in the US after residency in another country. You have to answer the USMLE first. But the catch is you can't practice in the states after that. If you want to do that you have to repeat your residency in the states after fellowship.
I guess if you have good scores, good LORs and research publications, it can make up for the extra attempt. At least thats how it works for residency.
Oh. I know people who have had to do residency in US again after completing residency in home country. Did not know that you could apply for the fellowship match directly.

Last edited by dsrp; 12-01-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-02-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Hundreds of Irish Doctors do it every year. It's a common career path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-02-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 29
Threads: 12
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

HI, I know of several IMGs that came for just the fellowship, most of them on research programs. USMLE score requirement is actually more lenient, and many of them had taken it at least once, furthermore; I personally know several residents that are IMG and have taken the step more than once. The quavat is that for the fellowships you can't practice in the US and if you change ur mind ur fellowship is not alid, you would have to start from zero. And there are few programs offered for IMG fellowships. I would start there. Find where the people you know went and se how they got there then start calling and emailing for information. The ones I know had friends and family contacts to help them land a position.
As to those that got a residency with several failed step 1 under their belts; it can totally happen, you just wont be eligible for a top tier program, but a program is a proram and if you excell during the residency you are either eligible to tansfer to a stronger program later on or have a pick of the fellowship. All that's important is the foot in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Step 2 CS Failure and Matching Chances mindblown26 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 13 1 Week Ago 05:18 PM
Community hospitals and Fellowship chances doctor_ind IMG Residency Match Forum 2 07-01-2014 05:07 AM
IMG FAILED EACH STEP >2 TIMES;what are my chances demam87 IMG Residency Match Forum 3 05-14-2014 08:11 PM
Failed Step 1, IMG, what are my chances now? drdr03 USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 07-18-2013 06:39 AM
Img friendly fellowship alanine40 IMG Residency Match Forum 0 08-06-2012 12:08 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)