Is biostatistics high yield? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2012
fat1iscool's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 399
Threads: 45
Thanked 147 Times in 94 Posts
Reputation: 157
Stats Is biostatistics high yield?

I just finished the biostatistics from a tiny book called Appleton and Lange epidemiology and biostatistics for the USMLE and I finally understood everything.
But I'm still unable to solve many of the questions from qbank. I can't do this section from the kaplan lecture notes coz its too long and boring in there. Is this topic very high yield? Coz i somehow don't care that i got so many questions wrong, and I'm wondering if i should be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-08-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

If you notice in the step experiences, there are different mixes of questions for everyone. Sometimes biostat/beh. sci is barely there; sometimes people see 4 - 5 mcqs/block and they get really shocked.

Someone said that he was getting 240s in the nbmes before the exam. Unfortunately, he was so surprised to see so many beh sci/biostst mcqs (his weak subject) in his step that he got only 220s. That's just anecdotal though.

It's better to understand things now early in your prep, than get haunted by that subject in the nbmes. By then, you won't have time to go back and dwell.

Have you tried the videos? Steven Daugherty is one of my favorite lecturers. He is highly recommended too. If you find him ok, then it's easier to watch. He explains how questions in biostat should be answered. I find his lectures long, but very helpful.

Another option is the usmleworld biostat subject review for $25. Although, this one has mixed reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
If you notice in the step experiences, there are different mixes of questions for everyone. Sometimes biostat/beh. sci is barely there; sometimes people see 4 - 5 mcqs/block and they get really shocked.

Someone said that he was getting 240s in the nbmes before the exam. Unfortunately, he was so surprised to see so many beh sci/biostst mcqs (his weak subject) in his step that he got only 220s. That's just anecdotal though.

It's better to understand things now early in your prep, than get haunted by that subject in the nbmes. By then, you won't have time to go back and dwell.

Have you tried the videos? Steven Daugherty is one of my favorite lecturers. He is highly recommended too. If you find him ok, then it's easier to watch. He explains how questions in biostat should be answered. I find his lectures long, but very helpful.

Another option is the usmleworld biostat subject review for $25. Although, this one has mixed reviews.
I agree!! That's what I have been seeing in the other threads as well..

d_wiqed- who is "Steven Daugherty"? Is that the Kaplan Behavioural dude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-08-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka View Post
I agree!! That's what I have been seeing in the other threads as well..

d_wiqed- who is "Steven Daugherty"? Is that the Kaplan Behavioural dude?
Yep!! He's great in behavioral. Now, I'm watching his biostat videos. Why? Did you watch him already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-08-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Yep!! He's great in behavioral. Now, I'm watching his biostat videos. Why? Did you watch him already?
Nop! I did Kaplan LN for behavioural in the beginning of my prep and I didn't watch any videos at that time since I kept falling asleep everytime I turned a video on.. LoL! But I have been hearing alot about the Kaplan Beh videos for Biostats and Now I am thinking abt watching it when I review Behav (end of this month).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-08-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka View Post
Nop! I did Kaplan LN for behavioural in the beginning of my prep and I didn't watch any videos at that time since I kept falling asleep everytime I turned a video on.. LoL! But I have been hearing alot about the Kaplan Beh videos for Biostats and Now I am thinking abt watching it when I review Behav (end of this month).
Of all the reviews about KLN videos that I've read (since I'm not a video-person either), behavioral science is infallibly the must-see.

Behavioral science is the only subject whose videos I've watched in my first read and I feel they're worth the time. He gives lots of examples on how the topic/contents will be tested on the exam and how you should approach those questions. I feel that I remember beh. science more bec. of him.

Lastly and most importantly, he's not boring...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-09-2012
fat1iscool's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 399
Threads: 45
Thanked 147 Times in 94 Posts
Reputation: 157
Default

i guess this is one more thing which will cause me to bang my head against walls, or tear my hair out (i hope i have a normal shaped head and hair on it after my step 1)

its weird, i found steven daugherty extremely boring and strange...
is anybody able to do da bistatistics questions in qbank or is it just me that cant do them??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-09-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Of all the reviews about KLN videos that I've read (since I'm not a video-person either), behavioral science is infallibly the must-see.

Behavioral science is the only subject whose videos I've watched in my first read and I feel they're worth the time. He gives lots of examples on how the topic/contents will be tested on the exam and how you should approach those questions. I feel that I remember beh. science more bec. of him.

Lastly and most importantly, he's not boring...
Alright! I will definitely try to watch it

Fat1iscool - alot of people have problems with the biostat questions.. But keep working hard on that area and try to understand it.. The more questions you do the better you will get at it.. GOod luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-09-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 452
Threads: 11
Thanked 354 Times in 197 Posts
Reputation: 364
Default

I actually like biostat questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-09-2012)
  #10  
Old 03-09-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

Yeah...I recommend that you try to do better on the questions by watching at least the kaplan videos. So that book is good huh? I'll check it out.

The reason I tell you to practice a little more is because, as a dr_wiqued said, many might only encounter a few questions but my friend who took step 1 a month ago, said that she was hit really hard with biostat questions and that luckily the only thing that saved her was that she had done a block of those like a day or two before the exam.

It's really relative, but it's certainly a risk you shouldn't take. I know you will come home and bang your head both ways after the exam- if you got many questions and didn't study, and also if you got few questions and over-studied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Biostatistics-Epidemiology

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Yield Question #1 aktorque USMLE Step 1 Forum 17 04-08-2016 07:42 AM
high yield doc sam01 USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 08-15-2012 03:35 AM
High Yield Question #10 aktorque USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 04-07-2011 10:53 AM
Genetic information missing in FA, High yield or Low yield? Dr_Kal_El USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 01-06-2011 05:38 AM
Another High Yield Book Sabio USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 11-04-2010 12:01 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)