XPaeZX Exam experience - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-15-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Arrow XPaeZX Exam experience

Hellow guys just got back from the exam and im gonna share my thoughts about the exam
first a little about me: Im an IMG that graduates this fall.
Been studying for 8 months (since july 16th to be precise).

My resources.
Qbanks
  1. Uworld first time random untimed unused blocks of 46 always:first time 71% second time 88%
  2. Kaplan Qbank random untimed unused blocks of 46 always: first time 76% (only did it once).
  3. NBME 7 242 /610
  4. UWSA 1 252
As some of you already know i went through a lot of hardships and had to sacrifice a lot just for this exam, i lost almost all of my friends and a girlfriend who though was better to cheat on me that to support me but w/e.

However if one has a dream this dream has to be pursued and sacrifices MUST be made don't be afraid of this and whenever you guys think that you aren't learning or its taking to long just remember your goals

Now to the exam; i had a 6 hour sleep, didn't felt stressed in the morning, ate a sandwich and drank a cup of coffee, my dad drove me to the test center and they were extremely nice, i brought with me 3 energy bars, 1 diet coke, 1 bottle of water and 3 apples, along with a sweater just in case the environment started to get cold.

The first 3 blocks went extremely fine i would say (short stem questions, heavily loaded with pathology and microbiology)
4 and 5 blocks were ok, **** started to get crazy with WTF questions but overall I think I did good.
6 and 7 blocks i was getting drowsy and was starting to feel awkward, however i always remembered my goals and the hardships it took me to get to this point and continued to answer and give my best, last 10 questions were like WTF after WTF but somehow just gave my best guess and move on.

I rested after EVERY block, seriously do this guys, if you have been practicing you'll see that you'll have plenty of time to rest, even in the blocks in which you think you are doing bad, so rest and chill out AFTER every block, your brain as to chill and recharge

I feel overall relaxed and cool, just hoping for a good score, I know I did my best and hope for the best :sorry:
I'll be answering questions if you guys have some and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Angela (04-06-2012), aquaxi (04-04-2012), avash.nrs (03-15-2012), billy (02-21-2013), bunny (03-15-2012), CHAKRAM (04-07-2012), cheesewarrior (04-06-2012), d_wiqed (03-15-2012), DefeatTheBeast (03-15-2012), DocSikorski (03-15-2012), Dr. Mexito (03-16-2012), Dr.NickRiviera (03-15-2012), drj10 (04-05-2012), Hitman (03-15-2012), Hope2Pass (04-04-2012), Joanna (03-15-2012), justfree (03-15-2012), K06100 (03-16-2012), LatinGeorge (03-15-2012), madeha shahid (03-17-2012), moske (03-15-2012), mulchandani161 (03-15-2012), MzLizMD (03-16-2012), patho2012 (03-15-2012), pradeeprox (03-16-2012), samba (03-17-2012), sargousmle (03-15-2012), stepdoc1 (03-15-2012), steps_8186 (03-15-2012), terminator (03-15-2012), tulipa (03-15-2012), ubiquinone (03-15-2012), whatsupdoc7 (03-15-2012)



  #2  
Old 03-15-2012
avash.nrs's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 441
Threads: 53
Thanked 258 Times in 153 Posts
Reputation: 268
Default

Just have fun now bro..i am sure u have taken the bull by the horn and slayed the beast..its party time nowU will score high no doubt
btw bro..can u please tell me whether the qs were more like UWORLD ,NBME,Webpath!!did u find webpath helpful???
And audios..how many were there..in the last 18 days is uworld notes+FA enough..thanxies buddy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DocSikorski (03-15-2012), XpaezX (03-15-2012)
  #3  
Old 03-15-2012
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 653
Threads: 47
Thanked 409 Times in 249 Posts
Reputation: 419
Default

Thats a long and very hard prep, i'm sure you'll score very high... now you can relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (03-15-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 03-15-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Embarrassed

Quote:
Originally Posted by avash.nrs View Post
Just have fun now bro..i am sure u have taken the bull by the horn and slayed the beast..its party time nowU will score high no doubt
btw bro..can u please tell me whether the qs were more like UWORLD ,NBME,Webpath!!did u find webpath helpful???
And audios..how many were there..in the last 18 days is uworld notes+FA enough..thanxies buddy
More like Uworld, in fact I had like 4 questions that came straight from Uworld :s, a lot easier than Kaplan Qbank, and more like Uworld in stem length and difficulty.

webpath is a MUST seriously my exam was heavily loaded with pathology and in almost all questions I had slides (eventho rarely needed, thank god I really mastered pathology)

Sorry didnt answer your question: I had only 2 audio questions, they were cardiac sounds, pretty smooth if you review them and didnt have any sequential question whatsoever
I can safely said that 95% of the exam comes straight from UWOrld and First aid, so a final hardcore review from these 2 sources iS enough.

For some strange reason I didnt have that many physio questions, I had a shitload of Micro, pharm and Pathology, in fact my first question was pharm experimental question .

  • Anatomy: First aid and Uworld.
  • Physio: Uworld.
  • Micro: First aid is enough.
  • Pharm: Both kaplan and First aid are enough.
  • Histo had like 2 questions that I just cliked and moved so dont waste time.
  • For pathology: Uworld is enough, along with first aid, webpath quizes and slied DO HELP A LOT.
  • Neuronatomy: HY is a must, like 3 questions were straight from there
  • Molecular Biology from uworld and First aid i think is enough, didnt have any weird crazy question.
  • Behavioral/Biostatistics: I think kaplan is enough
Better wait for my score so that my opinion actually matters

Last edited by XpaezX; 03-15-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
avash.nrs (03-15-2012), beka-CTS (03-15-2012), CHAKRAM (04-07-2012), d_wiqed (03-16-2012), DocSikorski (03-15-2012), Dr. Mexito (03-16-2012), DrSK (04-04-2012), MzLizMD (03-16-2012), pradeeprox (03-16-2012), whatsupdoc7 (03-15-2012)
  #5  
Old 03-15-2012
avash.nrs's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 441
Threads: 53
Thanked 258 Times in 153 Posts
Reputation: 268
Default

Never mind..u will ace it..time to find a new girlfriend now bro..what say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-16-2012), Hitman (03-15-2012), madeha shahid (03-17-2012), XpaezX (03-15-2012)
  #6  
Old 03-15-2012
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 653
Threads: 47
Thanked 409 Times in 249 Posts
Reputation: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
More like Uworld, in fact I had like 4 questions that came straight from Uworld :s, a lot easier than Kaplan Qbank, and more like Uworld in stem length and difficulty.

webpath is a MUST seriously my exam was heavily loaded with pathology and in almost all questions I had slides (eventho rarely needed, thank god I really mastered pathology)

Sorry didnt answer your question: I had only 2 audio questions, they were cardiac sounds, pretty smooth if you review them and didnt have any sequential question whatsoever
I can safely said that 95% of the exam comes straight from UWOrld and First aid, so a final hardcore review from these 2 sources iS enough.

For some strange reason I didnt had that many physio questions, I had a shitload of Micro, pharm and Pathology, in fact my first question was pharm experimental question .

  • Anatomy: First aid and Uworld.
  • Physio: Uworld.
  • Micro: First aid is enough.
  • Pharm: Both kaplan and First aid are enough.
  • Histo had like 2 questions that I just cliked and moved so dont waste time.
  • For pathology: Uworld is enough, along with first aid, webpath quizes and sliked DO HELP A LOT.
  • Neuronatomy: HY is a must, like 3 questions were straight from there
  • Molecular Biology from uworld and First aid i think is enough, didnt have any weird crazy question.
Better wait for my score so that my opinion actually matters

Thanks for advice. One question though, for example NBME 12 has a lot of bio, cell and molecular, lot of crazy questions, how close was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-15-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinGeorge View Post
Thanks for advice. One question though, for example NBME 12 has a lot of bio, cell and molecular, lot of crazy questions, how close was it?
Didnt do NBME 12 so I couldnt comment on that, i didnt have that many Bio cell and molecular questions :S, the crazy questions in my exam came at the end lie 15 WTF question in which i didnt know what was going on because the stem wasnt that clear :S so i hope they where experimental haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
LatinGeorge (03-15-2012)
  #8  
Old 03-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 18
Threads: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default Thank you

I am happy for you and hope soon will be in your shoes

Did you do other NBMEs?

How was molecular genetics and biology? lately I have been reading some posts saying that these subjects were crazy.

Thanks in advance and enjoy now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-15-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Nice to hear that your exam went well and that you were chill. I am glad to hear you good experience. We were all waiting for you to write the exam and come back and tell us abt the Good experience (well i assumed u will do great). Thanks for sharing
You mentioned that blocks 1 and 2 were mostly path and micro.. How abt the rest?
Even with the lots of micro/path questions that you had.. u feel FA micro and path uworld+FA are enough? I am doing golgian RR for path (after reading some kaplan I realized its js a waste of my time) with FA. And I am going to start micro now.. Should I do Golgian audios for path? And Kaplan for micro? Or Should I js stick to what you said?
How was immuno?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-15-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka View Post
Nice to hear that your exam went well and that you were chill. I am glad to hear you good experience. We were all waiting for you to write the exam and come back and tell us abt the Good experience (well i assumed u will do great). Thanks for sharing
You mentioned that blocks 1 and 2 were mostly path and micro.. How abt the rest?
Even with the lots of micro/path questions that you had.. u feel FA micro and path uworld+FA are enough? I am doing golgian RR for path (after reading some kaplan I realized its js a waste of my time) with FA. And I am going to start micro now.. Should I do Golgian audios for path? And Kaplan for micro? Or Should I js stick to what you said?
How was immuno?
Yeah, my exam was heavily tested on 3 subjects
Path, Pharm and Micro; almost didnt have molecular biology and the rests of the blocks were balanced, anatomy was either neuroanatomy, or anatomy with pathology with chest xrays and stuff.

I told you Kaplan pathology sucked balls, Goljan is extremely good just remember what I told you, you only need for goljan chapters 1-8 and the rest can be read on first aid and/or BRS path, goljan does help but as i said is to much.

Immuno was ok, you can answer almost all with first aid, with a little bit of kaplan and uworld and you cover pretty much all, i didnt have any wtf immuno question whatsoever.
Yes i Do feel that FA+kaplan +Uworld for micro and pharm is more than enough, the micro qustions where straightforward in fact the shortest vignettes I had where Micro questions, just straight to the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Atieno (03-16-2012), d_wiqed (03-16-2012), DocSikorski (03-15-2012), Dr. Mexito (03-28-2012), Neutrino (01-22-2014), patho2012 (03-15-2012)
  #11  
Old 03-15-2012
DocSikorski's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,353
Threads: 94
Thanked 877 Times in 507 Posts
Reputation: 890
Default

Man I appreciate your experience!
Good luck to you!
Time to drink Patron!
__________________
Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. EP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (03-15-2012)
  #12  
Old 03-15-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
Yeah, my exam was heavily tested on 3 subjects
Path, Pharm and Micro; almost didnt have molecular biology and the rests of the blocks were balanced, anatomy was either neuroanatomy, or anatomy with pathology with chest xrays and stuff.

I told you Kaplan pathology sucked balls, Goljan is extremely good just remember what I told you, you only need for goljan chapters 1-8 and the rest can be read on first aid and/or BRS path, goljan does help but as i said is to much.

Immuno was ok, you can answer almost all with first aid, with a little bit of kaplan and uworld and you cover pretty much all, i didnt have any wtf immuno question whatsoever.
Yes i Do feel that FA+kaplan +Uworld for micro and pharm is more than enough, the micro qustions where straightforward in fact the shortest vignettes I had where Micro questions, just straight to the point.
Alright!
Thank you
And u should be partying now! Not infront of u computer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (03-15-2012)
  #13  
Old 03-15-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Hey Buddy thanks for sharing your experience ......

Made me happy and pretty relieved .........

you are definitely going to do well ...... as avash said time to find a Girl and show her to the previous Bitch ...... .

goodluck for the score and the girl ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (03-26-2012)
  #14  
Old 03-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 18
Threads: 8
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

thanks alot for sharing , and sure ur score will be high

but I dont know if u did NBMEs other than 12 , did u find the same ideas as those in nbme ??? as in nbme there are many new ideas not in uworld or FA ???
is doing offline NBME helpful??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 03-15-2012
patho2012's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 213
Threads: 13
Thanked 119 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 129
Default

The best post exam thread I have ever seen....
Thanks or sharing your tips...
All the best for your score...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-16-2012)



  #16  
Old 03-15-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 452
Threads: 11
Thanked 354 Times in 197 Posts
Reputation: 364
Default

Thanks for posting this...best of luck on your result...im sure you did great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 03-16-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

Thank you for posting your prep and exam experience!
This is really helpful!!
Thank God you didn't get a lot of molecular questions! That's a relief!

Hey, can I ask you something? I made extensive notes of uworld. I did it as my first qbank (subject-wise, timed), from Jan-March. Do you think it will serve me well if I still do a 2nd pass (random, timed) again near my exam (May)? Or should I review my uworld notes instead and focus on nbmes/weak areas? I still have kaplan qbank (random, timed) to do in April - May. I'm concerned about the time...

Good luck in the result! I wish you the BEST score!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 03-16-2012
tyagee's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1,365
Threads: 648
Thanked 591 Times in 355 Posts
Reputation: 601
Default

can u give 1-10 rating to these resources...least-most useful in the exam.....

plus was there anything u wished u had done...if u had time...probably not ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 03-16-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Thank you for posting your prep and exam experience!
This is really helpful!!
Thank God you didn't get a lot of molecular questions! That's a relief!

Hey, can I ask you something? I made extensive notes of uworld. I did it as my first qbank (subject-wise, timed), from Jan-March. Do you think it will serve me well if I still do a 2nd pass (random, timed) again near my exam (May)? Or should I review my uworld notes instead and focus on nbmes/weak areas? I still have kaplan qbank (random, timed) to do in April - May. I'm concerned about the time...

Good luck in the result! I wish you the BEST score!!
Just review your notes and work on subject based weak areas, and leave the last month for hardcore first aid and uworld notes review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-16-2012)
  #20  
Old 03-16-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyagee View Post
can u give 1-10 rating to these resources...least-most useful in the exam.....

plus was there anything u wished u had done...if u had time...probably not ;-)
all of them are amazing if you have time and study with quaility, the ones that are a must I already put them subject wise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 04-04-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Star 240!

Guys my score just came out, got a 240 thankfully to god and my family and my little dogs

I want to thank all of you who supported me in this hard journey and thankfully it paid over, ill tell you one thing though.. doing the exam is easy.. waiting for the results isnt hahaha

thanks again D_wiged, Avash, Sukar and Drsikorski (hard name to spell) and even latingeorge (I enjoyed our debate regarding lymphomas)!

Got a star in a lot of systems and also in micro and path! (thank you webpath)

Now My opinion matters so any questions you guys have ill be glad to answer and never give up! never ever allow others.. including your friends or family to move you away from your dream have faith.. if i could do it so can you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (04-04-2012), DocSikorski (04-04-2012), Dr. Mexito (04-05-2012), drj10 (04-05-2012), Hope2Pass (04-04-2012), Joanna (04-04-2012), LatinGeorge (04-05-2012), numbndumb (04-04-2012), swwal (08-27-2013)
  #22  
Old 04-04-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

Congrats, bud!! I knew it!

Thanks for helping us out! Don't worry, I WILL ask you about my prep! Hahaha!!

I'm so happy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (04-04-2012)
  #23  
Old 04-04-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Congrats, bud!! I knew it!

Thanks for helping us out! Don't worry, I WILL ask you about my prep! Hahaha!!

I'm so happy!!
feel free to ask my friend im here to help! god i cried like a little baby after knowing my score... i felt just like Will Smith in Pursuit of Happiness movie! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (04-04-2012), LatinGeorge (04-05-2012), swwal (08-27-2013)
  #24  
Old 04-04-2012
DocSikorski's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,353
Threads: 94
Thanked 877 Times in 507 Posts
Reputation: 890
Default

You are a rockstar man!!!!

Wooooooottt!!!!
__________________
Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. EP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (04-04-2012)
  #25  
Old 04-04-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSikorski View Post
You are a rockstar man!!!!

Wooooooottt!!!!
thanks youll also kill it im sure! have faith and study hard like a champ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DocSikorski (04-04-2012)



  #26  
Old 04-04-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Congrats buddy , Great score .......

goodluck with step 2 ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (04-04-2012)
  #27  
Old 04-04-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 34
Thanked 81 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 91
Default congratulations

hey congrats !!!
did you do any nbmes?
my exm is in few days
any last days advice please?
how many breas can we take ...5 min after each block or more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 04-04-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibb View Post
hey congrats !!!
did you do any nbmes?
my exm is in few days
any last days advice please?
how many breas can we take ...5 min after each block or more?
I only did NBME 7 and UWSA1 both were extremely close to my actual score

Last advice is cram the **** out of FA and Uworld notes if you have them but in the last day YOU DONT OPEN A BOOK, YOU either get laid, workout or sleep all day long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
CHAKRAM (04-07-2012), sibb (04-04-2012)
  #29  
Old 04-04-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Congrats buddy , Great score .......

goodluck with step 2 ......

Thanks buddy, forgot to mention you as well but you were also very supportive, if i can help please ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 04-04-2012
numbndumb's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 529
Threads: 57
Thanked 284 Times in 152 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default great score!

  • Anatomy: First aid and Uworld.
  • Physio: Uworld.
  • Micro: First aid is enough.
  • Pharm: Both kaplan and First aid are enough.
  • Histo had like 2 questions that I just cliked and moved so dont waste time.
  • For pathology: Uworld is enough, along with first aid, webpath quizes and slied DO HELP A LOT.
  • Neuronatomy: HY is a must, like 3 questions were straight from there
  • Molecular Biology from uworld and First aid i think is enough, didnt have any weird crazy question.
  • Behavioral/Biostatistics: I think kaplan is enough
Better wait for my score so that my opinion actually matters [/QUOTE]

hey, congrats on ur awesome score. very happy for u.

now i hv a question. the stuff u mentioned above, do u think its enough to focus on fot the last couple months? i didnt undrstand the physio part.. u really think UW is enough.. i dnt think thr r too many physio questions in UW r they( and yes i found them very very tough ) thanks in advacne and good luck for ur further steps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 04-04-2012
numbndumb's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 529
Threads: 57
Thanked 284 Times in 152 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default PS

did u read conrad's fischer's 100 cases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 04-04-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbndumb View Post
did u read conrad's fischer's 100 cases?
no i didnt haha ill use them on the step 2 I had a star in behavioral because the cases werent as though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33  
Old 04-04-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 191
Threads: 8
Thanked 121 Times in 76 Posts
Reputation: 131
Default

Congratulations buddy!!You did great wish u lot of success for future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (04-06-2012)
  #34  
Old 04-04-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
Guys my score just came out, got a 240 thankfully to god and my family and my little dogs

I want to thank all of you who supported me in this hard journey and thankfully it paid over, ill tell you one thing though.. doing the exam is easy.. waiting for the results isnt hahaha

thanks again D_wiged, Avash, Sukar and Drsikorski (hard name to spell) and even latingeorge (I enjoyed our debate regarding lymphomas)!

Got a star in a lot of systems and also in micro and path! (thank you webpath)

Now My opinion matters so any questions you guys have ill be glad to answer and never give up! never ever allow others.. including your friends or family to move you away from your dream have faith.. if i could do it so can you!

Congrats!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (04-05-2012)
  #35  
Old 04-04-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 20
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Congrats on your score. I'm scoring 61% average in Kaplan Qbank. How can I improve my score? Any advice. I used uworld as a study guide so finished that Qbank and went thru it.I have notes from it I should read. Which other Qbank can I use? I have Kaplan qbook;is it useful. Haven't used it.should I take an nbme first? I really want to do well. Been studying seriously for now 4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 04-05-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atieno View Post
Congrats on your score. I'm scoring 61% average in Kaplan Qbank. How can I improve my score? Any advice. I used uworld as a study guide so finished that Qbank and went thru it.I have notes from it I should read. Which other Qbank can I use? I have Kaplan qbook;is it useful. Haven't used it.should I take an nbme first? I really want to do well. Been studying seriously for now 4 months.
First you are tackling qbanks the wrong way, they must be used for learning not assessments, secondly, kaplan qbank its awesome because it has both medessentials and first aid pges , thats why i bought it
Physio most of it is endocrino with lots of up and down arrows, so both kaplan and uworld rock for that.

And i agree for the final months use both FA and uworld so cram that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37  
Old 04-05-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 183
Threads: 79
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

congrats
how about graphs and charts?
are they similar to UW and Kaplan?
are they hard to interpret?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38  
Old 04-05-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 129
Threads: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 40
Default

Congratulations! Your hard work paid off..big time...now enjoy. Good luck on future feats like joining and finishing residency of your choice.
For now ..1 question..how many hours did you study and sleep...b`coz my sleep-wake cycle is all messed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39  
Old 04-05-2012
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 653
Threads: 47
Thanked 409 Times in 249 Posts
Reputation: 419
Default

Paez!! Felicitaciones!!! well done man, amazing score man!!! wow, such a great score man. Your hard work payed! I hope i get to cry of happiness soon hehe. Take care man, now you can give me pointers for CK next moth, because i'm taking CS this month. So did you get a lymphoma question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (04-06-2012)
  #40  
Old 04-05-2012
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 370 Times in 204 Posts
Reputation: 380
Default

Super!!! Congrats man.... See you in CK...
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (04-06-2012)
  #41  
Old 04-06-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinGeorge View Post
Paez!! Felicitaciones!!! well done man, amazing score man!!! wow, such a great score man. Your hard work payed! I hope i get to cry of happiness soon hehe. Take care man, now you can give me pointers for CK next moth, because i'm taking CS this month. So did you get a lymphoma question?
Yes sir i had 2 lymphomas questions both which where large b cell lymphomas
And yeah the feeling of getting a good score makes you cry like a little baby, ill help you in CK and you in CS all right? Good luck and hope for more debates in the near future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
LatinGeorge (04-06-2012)
  #42  
Old 04-06-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj10 View Post
Congratulations! Your hard work paid off..big time...now enjoy. Good luck on future feats like joining and finishing residency of your choice.
For now ..1 question..how many hours did you study and sleep...b`coz my sleep-wake cycle is all messed up.
I slept average of 5 and 6 hours a day , but also remember sir you have to do exercise and relax EVERYDAY, what helped me a lot was the fact i workedout and relaxed everyday at least 1 hour MINIMUM so for all of you guys dont overstudy, listen to your body from time to time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43  
Old 04-06-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlee View Post
congrats
how about graphs and charts?
are they similar to UW and Kaplan?
are they hard to interpret?
Most of my graphs where pharm questions, and chart where related to both biostatistics and endocrino physio, they werent that hard , you must understand the concept and youll be all right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44  
Old 04-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 96
Threads: 15
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 29
Default

congrats amazing score !!!!!!!!!

5-6hours everyday or like when you came closer to the exam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45  
Old 04-06-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathophysio1 View Post
congrats amazing score !!!!!!!!!

5-6hours everyday or like when you came closer to the exam
Everyday sir when exam came closer i didnt change anything keeped my routine and just learnt relaxation techniques haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #46  
Old 04-06-2012
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 653
Threads: 47
Thanked 409 Times in 249 Posts
Reputation: 419
Default

Hey Paez, what's your plan for Step 2 CK, and how long do you plan to study. I was thinking in taking the Intense prep course, it's expensive like 1200 dollars, but considering they give you the latest lecture notes, 1200-500= 700 dollars is not that bad. What do you think. My other option was going for the lecture notes, videos and MTBCK + UW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #47  
Old 04-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 79
Threads: 26
Thanked 320 Times in 56 Posts
Reputation: 330
Default Webpath

Excellent Score! Your hard work certainly has paid off! Congratulations!

You mention Web Path...which sections you recommend more.

I've just gone through it randomly...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #48  
Old 04-07-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

amazing score! wow am so happy for u & hope to do as well as u did.
really well done!


I need to ask u for your advice as i am having really hard time these days.
am a 3rd-year student & currently doing path, micro & biostatistics courses at my med school. i decided to prepare this year , so i started studying path from Goljan (with my course at med school) so i am now studying what i am taught directly from goljan. but i feel down because of several reason but mostly the lack of time to do path & micro (even course-wise with my class). when i reach home from school exhausted & find so little time to study what i need to study to achieve my goal of this month (which is studying cardio & GIT- pathology, anatomy & physiology).
plus i am planning to sit for step 1 on december max. & haven't studied anything yet but what we're doing at school from path & mico.
i really think my plan is good but sometimes i feel so tired because of my med school schedule. But i also blame myself in wasting time but i am trying hard to reach this months' goal.

your story definitely gave me a huge push & will try to stay focused on my goal score. I want to accomplish by doing step 1 before graduation although it seems to be hard with this ****** med school schedule.

sorry for the novel i wrote but i really need advice from u ( i know u r a graduate) but any thoughts will be helpful. I am not getting much of support from my family but not because they don't think i can't do it but because of the financial problems & the fact that they think i am too young to do & that i should be like everybody else in my country ( almost everybody here does it after graduation). & i didn't tell my friends that i am planning to do it so this forum is like my only support system.
thnx in advance
__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #49  
Old 04-07-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default Have faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by in-a-hurry View Post
amazing score! wow am so happy for u & hope to do as well as u did.
really well done!


I need to ask u for your advice as i am having really hard time these days.
am a 3rd-year student & currently doing path, micro & biostatistics courses at my med school. i decided to prepare this year , so i started studying path from Goljan (with my course at med school) so i am now studying what i am taught directly from goljan. but i feel down because of several reason but mostly the lack of time to do path & micro (even course-wise with my class). when i reach home from school exhausted & find so little time to study what i need to study to achieve my goal of this month (which is studying cardio & GIT- pathology, anatomy & physiology).
plus i am planning to sit for step 1 on december max. & haven't studied anything yet but what we're doing at school from path & mico.
i really think my plan is good but sometimes i feel so tired because of my med school schedule. But i also blame myself in wasting time but i am trying hard to reach this months' goal.

your story definitely gave me a huge push & will try to stay focused on my goal score. I want to accomplish by doing step 1 before graduation although it seems to be hard with this ****** med school schedule.

sorry for the novel i wrote but i really need advice from u ( i know u r a graduate) but any thoughts will be helpful. I am not getting much of support from my family but not because they don't think i can't do it but because of the financial problems & the fact that they think i am too young to do & that i should be like everybody else in my country ( almost everybody here does it after graduation). & i didn't tell my friends that i am planning to do it so this forum is like my only support system.
thnx in advance
Hi, first of all i am not a graduate, im still in my social service which requires lots of hours; at least 7 so yeah...
First of all dont worry, there areplenty of time from here up to december, i dont knowyour school schedule but what i would recommend is to focus on those areas you are doing in your school ... But really master them,and on holidays or during the weekends study other subjects, you gotta put some sacrifice somewhere in your schedule, remember trhe step score is a huge milestone, so maybe paying less attention to school can be an idea

About your family support wow thats bad i had the advNtage of having my family support all the time , you gottatalk to them and trully involve them into this, thats what i did and it helped
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #50  
Old 04-07-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsalg2502 View Post
Excellent Score! Your hard work certainly has paid off! Congratulations!

You mention Web Path...which sections you recommend more.

I've just gone through it randomly...

Thanks!
I did all of them, even anatomy and histology and neuroanatomy, all the quizzes with and without pictures... Do it all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
monsalg2502 (04-07-2012)
  #51  
Old 04-07-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinGeorge View Post
Hey Paez, what's your plan for Step 2 CK, and how long do you plan to study. I was thinking in taking the Intense prep course, it's expensive like 1200 dollars, but considering they give you the latest lecture notes, 1200-500= 700 dollars is not that bad. What do you think. My other option was going for the lecture notes, videos and MTBCK + UW.
Hi sir i have a similar plan but also adding toronto notes , Kaplanqbank and firstaid
Im doing it inSeptember!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #52  
Old 04-07-2012
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 370 Times in 204 Posts
Reputation: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
I did all of them, even anatomy and histology and neuroanatomy, all the quizzes with and without pictures... Do it all
Did you write notes?... or you just read the explanations??
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #53  
Old 04-07-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mexito View Post
Did you write notes?... or you just read the explanations??
Nope just read, when i did webpath i was done with everything and the exam was 2 weeks away so it served an extremely good review purpose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr. Mexito (04-07-2012)
  #54  
Old 04-07-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

thnx for replying & i guess u r write it is worth sacrifices , i guess since i am already studying path & micro, the only sacrifice would be dedicating my weekend time to study the parallel topics of physio or anatomy rather than having the normal amount of fun. No problem at all.
regarding support it is not that important now, i know i should prove i can do it to my family as people say (people who disagree don't always do that because they disagree but to know how much u believe in what u r doing) so i am a believer & am positive & can't wait to make my family proud.

one more question: i've got BRS physiology because some people recommended it , what do u think of it? & do u think i should study system-wise from each material (physio, anatomy, path) or just do random studying taking into consideration that this is my first time studying?

thanx
__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #55  
Old 04-07-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 34
Thanked 81 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 91
Default hey thanks

and how do you rate a real exam .is it harder than nbme or u world or easier ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #56  
Old 04-07-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by in-a-hurry View Post
thnx for replying & i guess u r write it is worth sacrifices , i guess since i am already studying path & micro, the only sacrifice would be dedicating my weekend time to study the parallel topics of physio or anatomy rather than having the normal amount of fun. No problem at all.
regarding support it is not that important now, i know i should prove i can do it to my family as people say (people who disagree don't always do that because they disagree but to know how much u believe in what u r doing) so i am a believer & am positive & can't wait to make my family proud.

one more question: i've got BRS physiology because some people recommended it , what do u think of it? & do u think i should study system-wise from each material (physio, anatomy, path) or just do random studying taking into consideration that this is my first time studying?

thanx
Depends on how you like to prepare, i studied by subject rather than system based, BRS physio rocks so use it
Youll make your family proud of that im sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #57  
Old 04-08-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

thnx
I wish u all the possible success in your life .& career
And i will feel free to consult u any time i feel the need to. hhhhhhh thnx alot
__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (04-08-2012)
  #58  
Old 04-08-2012
avash.nrs's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 441
Threads: 53
Thanked 258 Times in 153 Posts
Reputation: 268
Default

wow..my bro..i always knew u will score 240..so so happy for u..sorry came in late..but really so happy for u my bro..congrats all hearty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
XpaezX (04-08-2012)



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exam Experience Hanadi USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 06-20-2013 11:07 AM
My experience for May 3rd exam.. warriodoc USMLE Step 1 Forum 24 09-09-2012 04:33 AM
aisakya Exam Day Experience aisakya USMLE Step 1 Forum 19 11-10-2011 05:24 AM
My Exam Experience 224/96 sanakalim82 USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 08-19-2011 09:12 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)