Tips for Reading Immunology! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Cool Tips for Reading Immunology!

Pls I need help reading immunology? Who has some tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-22-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

if yur basis r good , study directly from your high yield book.
If they r weak watch videos in the topics u think u r weak on except if they r low yield , don't waste yur time on them. If u feel like u really need to study a low yield topic to understand a high yield one go for it but again don't study it as if it is a high yield just pass through it.
If u needed help beyond this i guess members of this forum can help u.
Good luck!
__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Keisha (03-23-2012)
  #3  
Old 03-22-2012
beka-CTS's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 763
Threads: 77
Thanked 1,338 Times in 347 Posts
Reputation: 1348
Default

I read HY immunology and found it not very good...
i think you have to read levinsons immunology. it's great one !
__________________
Step 1 - 244 [✔] Step 2 CK - 246 [✔] Step 2 CS [✔] Step 3 - 228 [✔] Match [EMORY SOM] YOG: 2013, 4 Months of USCE University Hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Doctor Ali (02-02-2013), Janakpriya (02-02-2013)
  #4  
Old 03-23-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beka-CTS View Post
I read HY immunology and found it not very good...
i think you have to read levinsons immunology. it's great one !
I have the Levinson book. I bought it bec. I've always seen stellar reviews on it in step 1 prep experiences. I wish I have time to go over it... It was my back-up book in case kaplan didn't work for me. How is it compared to Kaplan immuno?

I read KLN immuno without videos for my first read, then, read it together with the videos for my second read. I finished uworld immuno in the 80's. However, I get this feeling that the immuno in KLN and uworld seems pretty basic... Would you still recommend Levinson for me?

Can you enumerate the advantages/good points of the Levinson book? Does it give a better perspective? Is it an easy read? How long did it take you?

LOL! I have so many questions... Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
riya rai (04-02-2012)
  #5  
Old 03-23-2012
beka-CTS's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 763
Threads: 77
Thanked 1,338 Times in 347 Posts
Reputation: 1348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
I have the Levinson book. I bought it bec. I've always seen stellar reviews on it in step 1 prep experiences. I wish I have time to go over it... It was my back-up book in case kaplan didn't work for me. How is it compared to Kaplan immuno?

I read KLN immuno without videos for my first read, then, read it together with the videos for my second read. I finished uworld immuno in the 80's. However, I get this feeling that the immuno in KLN and uworld seems pretty basic... Would you still recommend Levinson for me?

Can you enumerate the advantages/good points of the Levinson book? Does it give a better perspective? Is it an easy read? How long did it take you?

LOL! I have so many questions... Thanks!!
So I have not done kaplan (vids/ln) for imunology.
For my first read ( about 5 months ago) i used HY immunology and i didn't liked it ... i have done it in 2 days
so about levinson - the first good point is that it's a text and it is quite understandable. it's about 100 pages. i started it in 20.03 and today is 23. i ended it in 2 days. it provides sufficeint information about immuno. (haven't tried micro section i find CMRRS very useful book).
today i've done FA immuno section - there was nothing additional compared to levinson imunodeficencies - pathways of imune response - autoimmune diseases these all are very good presented in levinson.

now i did uw immunology about 80 question and got: 70/80 i.e. 87,5%
so i'm trying to say that levinson worked for me.
if you want i can send you the book. it isn't the latest eddition but it's quite normal.

P.S. additionally i've done goljan RRP chapter 3 immunopathology - which helped a lot esp. in autoimmune diseases and specific antibodies.

__________________
Step 1 - 244 [✔] Step 2 CK - 246 [✔] Step 2 CS [✔] Step 3 - 228 [✔] Match [EMORY SOM] YOG: 2013, 4 Months of USCE University Hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-23-2012), Doctor Ali (02-02-2013), dr.anumk (12-07-2016), Nijhum (07-14-2013)
  #6  
Old 03-23-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 76
Threads: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Hey can you send it to me also!!??
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-23-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

@beka-CTS:

Thank you very much!! Your review of Levinson is very helpful! It's good to know it discusses concepts (i.e. autoimmune pathways) well and that it only takes around 2 days. That makes me very happy.

The tip of incorporating it with Goljan RRP is a great idea! I'll do just that in my revision!

I bought the hard-copy of the book... One thing I noticed is that the soft-copy/online Levinson pdf does not contain the 600 usmle questions in micro and immuno that are found in the hard-copy/actual book. Since you're a big fan of the Levinson text, you might find their questions useful too. I'm not sure maybe your version of the pdf has them or you might also have a hard-copy. I just thought maybe you'd like to know that info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
beka-CTS (03-23-2012)
  #8  
Old 03-23-2012
beka-CTS's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 763
Threads: 77
Thanked 1,338 Times in 347 Posts
Reputation: 1348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
@beka-CTS:

Thank you very much!! Your review of Levinson is very helpful! It's good to know it discusses concepts (i.e. autoimmune pathways) well and that it only takes around 2 days. That makes me very happy.

The tip of incorporating it with Goljan RRP is a great idea! I'll do just that in my revision!

I bought the hard-copy of the book... One thing I noticed is that the soft-copy/online Levinson pdf does not contain the 600 usmle questions in micro and immuno that are found in the hard-copy/actual book. Since you're a big fan of the Levinson text, you might find their questions useful too. I'm not sure maybe your version of the pdf has them or you might also have a hard-copy. I just thought maybe you'd like to know that info.
Always ready to help

you mean those 654 Questions write ? at the end last 100 are incorporated with Cases...
yes my book contains them thanks
__________________
Step 1 - 244 [✔] Step 2 CK - 246 [✔] Step 2 CS [✔] Step 3 - 228 [✔] Match [EMORY SOM] YOG: 2013, 4 Months of USCE University Hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-23-2012), Doctor Ali (02-02-2013)
  #9  
Old 03-23-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 642 Times in 407 Posts
Reputation: 652
Default

i think kaplan immuno is brilliantly written
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-23-2012), ehtisham (02-02-2013), nishu (03-23-2012)
  #10  
Old 02-02-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Levinson pdf

Can I get a Levinson in a pdf,PLs I hope immunology section is good enough for IMG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 02-02-2013
Janakpriya's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 101
Threads: 9
Thanked 47 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 57
Send a message via Skype™ to Janakpriya
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beka-CTS View Post
So I have not done kaplan (vids/ln) for imunology.
For my first read ( about 5 months ago) i used HY immunology and i didn't liked it ... i have done it in 2 days
so about levinson - the first good point is that it's a text and it is quite understandable. it's about 100 pages. i started it in 20.03 and today is 23. i ended it in 2 days. it provides sufficeint information about immuno. (haven't tried micro section i find CMRRS very useful book).
today i've done FA immuno section - there was nothing additional compared to levinson imunodeficencies - pathways of imune response - autoimmune diseases these all are very good presented in levinson.

now i did uw immunology about 80 question and got: 70/80 i.e. 87,5%
so i'm trying to say that levinson worked for me.
if you want i can send you the book. it isn't the latest eddition but it's quite normal.

P.S. additionally i've done goljan RRP chapter 3 immunopathology - which helped a lot esp. in autoimmune diseases and specific antibodies.

Beka-CTS, could you send me the pdf of Levinson.. Thank you in advance.. And best of luck for ck.. I know youwill rock.. adhikari.janak@gmail.com
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Janakpriya; 02-02-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 02-02-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

@beka can u please send levindon pdf to me as well winmle@hotmail.com thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 02-02-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 230
Threads: 20
Thanked 73 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keisha View Post
Pls I need help reading immunology? Who has some tips?
The best way is the Kaplan lecture .
I learned quickly from them and my result on NBME alw good on it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 07-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 16
Threads: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Hi

Hello friend,

I tried to study the immunology portion from kapalan. It seems not working for me. I read your suggestion, can you please send me the Levinsons Immunology pdf. It will be a great help to me.
Thanking you in advance.
Anisha.
EMAIL- anisha.chhetri@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 07-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 46
Threads: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisha.chhetri View Post
Hello friend,

I tried to study the immunology portion from kapalan. It seems not working for me. I read your suggestion, can you please send me the Levinsons Immunology pdf. It will be a great help to me.
Thanking you in advance.
Anisha.
EMAIL- anisha.chhetri@yahoo.com
Every other person in this thread like to see Levinsons immuno PDF. it will be appreciated if some can browse it on this thread or highlight a link for it.

by the way Anisha, if you get please send to me too.. At ahmadya@un.org.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 07-14-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 315
Threads: 115
Thanked 155 Times in 84 Posts
Reputation: 165
Default

when you say levinson, are you referring to the last section of the 'review of clinical microbiology and immunology'?

if so, then that is a very quick read! great section on cytokines too, and if you read from beginning to end, it sort of builds a story. very nice review on autoimmune diseases, and it helps you retain things, because you can understand why certain immunodeficiency states present the way they do (ie, with the correspending infections).

after reading it very quickly, it helped streamline my review of Immuno in FA..haven't don't specific immuno questions on the qbanks though, but i'm sure the time was worth it, 2 or 3 days to read it, shouldn't take longer, maybe 4 max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 07-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 46
Threads: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default @Reggiem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMiller View Post
when you say levinson, are you referring to the last section of the 'review of clinical microbiology and immunology'?

if so, then that is a very quick read! great section on cytokines too, and if you read from beginning to end, it sort of builds a story. very nice review on autoimmune diseases, and it helps you retain things, because you can understand why certain immunodeficiency states present the way they do (ie, with the correspending infections).

after reading it very quickly, it helped streamline my review of Immuno in FA..haven't don't specific immuno questions on the qbanks though, but i'm sure the time was worth it, 2 or 3 days to read it, shouldn't take longer, maybe 4 max.
Ay Reggiem, You meant that you finished immuno from Levinsons review book 12 e or 100 pg PDF notes that was mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, your reonse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 07-14-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 315
Threads: 115
Thanked 155 Times in 84 Posts
Reputation: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jav2013 View Post
Ay Reggiem, You meant that you finished immuno from Levinsons review book 12 e or 100 pg PDF notes that was mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, your reonse
i don't have the new 12e. i actually have a copy of an older edition, the same book which i used in med school, but didn't pay attention to the immuno section (i used class lecture notes). but looking back, the levinson is much more concise, and has everything you need to know, with additional details too.

which 100pg PDF notes are you talking about? i'm not sure what they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Jav2013 (07-14-2013)
  #19  
Old 07-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 56
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Send a message via Yahoo to Nijhum Send a message via Skype™ to Nijhum
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beka-CTS View Post
So I have not done kaplan (vids/ln) for imunology.
For my first read ( about 5 months ago) i used HY immunology and i didn't liked it ... i have done it in 2 days
so about levinson - the first good point is that it's a text and it is quite understandable. it's about 100 pages. i started it in 20.03 and today is 23. i ended it in 2 days. it provides sufficeint information about immuno. (haven't tried micro section i find CMRRS very useful book).
today i've done FA immuno section - there was nothing additional compared to levinson imunodeficencies - pathways of imune response - autoimmune diseases these all are very good presented in levinson.

now i did uw immunology about 80 question and got: 70/80 i.e. 87,5%
so i'm trying to say that levinson worked for me.
if you want i can send you the book. it isn't the latest eddition but it's quite normal.

P.S. additionally i've done goljan RRP chapter 3 immunopathology - which helped a lot esp. in autoimmune diseases and specific antibodies.


can you pls send the link to me as well? thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 02-06-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beka-CTS View Post
So I have not done kaplan (vids/ln) for imunology.
For my first read ( about 5 months ago) i used HY immunology and i didn't liked it ... i have done it in 2 days
so about levinson - the first good point is that it's a text and it is quite understandable. it's about 100 pages. i started it in 20.03 and today is 23. i ended it in 2 days. it provides sufficeint information about immuno. (haven't tried micro section i find CMRRS very useful book).
today i've done FA immuno section - there was nothing additional compared to levinson imunodeficencies - pathways of imune response - autoimmune diseases these all are very good presented in levinson.

now i did uw immunology about 80 question and got: 70/80 i.e. 87,5%
so i'm trying to say that levinson worked for me.
if you want i can send you the book. it isn't the latest eddition but it's quite normal.

P.S. additionally i've done goljan RRP chapter 3 immunopathology - which helped a lot esp. in autoimmune diseases and specific antibodies.



Hi, Do you mind send me a copy too... thanks a lot!
williamyap23@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 02-11-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Warning! Levinson Immunology

Hello I would like to start reading the Immunology book..can someone pls send me Levinson Immunology via email? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!My email address is: andreja.vlajankov@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 02-11-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

beka-CTS can u send me the pdf of Levinson pls pls pls, i have been looking for the pdf for a long time but couldn't find it. richokirub@gmail.com, thanks in abundance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 02-13-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 32
Threads: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMiller View Post
when you say levinson, are you referring to the last section of the 'review of clinical microbiology and immunology'?

if so, then that is a very quick read! great section on cytokines too, and if you read from beginning to end, it sort of builds a story. very nice review on autoimmune diseases, and it helps you retain things, because you can understand why certain immunodeficiency states present the way they do (ie, with the correspending infections).

after reading it very quickly, it helped streamline my review of Immuno in FA..haven't don't specific immuno questions on the qbanks though, but i'm sure the time was worth it, 2 or 3 days to read it, shouldn't take longer, maybe 4 max.
hey reggie!

Medical Microbiology and Immunology 11th Edition
Authored By: Warren Levinson
Publisher: Tata McGraw - Hill Education (2010)

is this the book you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 08-21-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirubgrace View Post
beka-CTS can u send me the pdf of Levinson pls pls pls, i have been looking for the pdf for a long time but couldn't find it. richokirub@gmail.com, thanks in abundance!
Greetings

Kirubgrace, or Beta ( or anyone else for that matter) itīd be greatly appreaciated if you could send me this 100 page pdf as well and the Levinson PDF too !
Iīm honestly in such a hurry to get a hold of one you wouldnīt believe . God bless
send it to xjiggy@outlook.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Immunology-, Step-1-Preparation, USMLE-Books

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reading FA more than 10 times Drbooda USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 01-16-2012 12:44 PM
how to go about reading for USMLE? abhicanada USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 08-19-2011 05:01 AM
Selective Reading of Kaplan Immunology legend USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 01-26-2011 12:25 PM
Reading alone, Qs alone or both? Nsonowa USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 11-03-2009 09:39 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)