NEW Kaplan's Step 1 High Yield? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-05-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Kaplan Medical NEW Kaplan's Step 1 High Yield?

Has anyone used it? Is it good? Is it worth paying for?

New Kaplan's Step 1 High Yield


I have the 2011 grey Kaplan's already, FA and I am thinking on getting Kaplan's Qbank and the UW too.

I just need to decide if the NEW – Kaplan's Step 1 High Yield is worth getting.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 04-05-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

31 views so far, ZERO answers. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-05-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 127
Threads: 3
Thanked 112 Times in 62 Posts
Reputation: 122
Default

Really? Is it that interesting? I'd say that 31 people read your post, thought "huh, that's an interesting question, but I don't know the answer, so I won't waste everybody's time by trying to answer it anyway."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shaarang_93 (09-22-2014)
 
  #4  
Old 04-05-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan564 View Post
Really? Is it that interesting? I'd say that 31 people read your post, thought "huh, that's an interesting question, but I don't know the answer, so I won't waste everybody's time by trying to answer it anyway."
It is interesting to me to know that it does not seems to be a commonly used resource, and as you say, not a lot of people know the answer. I have been doing some online research on reviews, not really being able to found a lot of information. In other forum site some people compared it to DIT, basically saying DIT is better because is a "proven" method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-05-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 127
Threads: 3
Thanked 112 Times in 62 Posts
Reputation: 122
Default

Ah, I see, I misunderstood you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-06-2012
drhma's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 193
Threads: 29
Thanked 134 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 144
Send a message via MSN to drhma
Default

the question bank is 2200 questions,
if u do the 300 sample [they are the exact same as the ones in the original bank once u pay], so if u do the 300 at a pace that u like... it's only going to save u 13% of the time, [300\2200]
and getting it for a year isnt practical since u'll finish it in 2 months,
i'd say do the 300, buy kaplan for a month, u'll have 1900 left, put it on high yield mode [which will leave around 1300-1400 questions, it's reasonable to be done in one month, without rushing]
dont worry about the low yield questions, u'll be doing uworld on full potential afterwards, and when u finish kaplan highyield mode in the question bank.. start with what uhave left, u can get a signifiacnt amount done'
im currently in medical school with normal lectures, and got done with 50 % of kaplan in 3 weeks, but actually i didnt spend 3 weeks dedicated to kaplan, only doing 5-6 hours per day

if ur on break, u can finish the whole 2200 in less than a month, if ur not fully free.. aas i said, u'll be done with a significant good part

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-06-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 127
Threads: 3
Thanked 112 Times in 62 Posts
Reputation: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhma View Post
the question bank is 2200 questions,
if u do the 300 sample [they are the exact same as the ones in the original bank once u pay], so if u do the 300 at a pace that u like... it's only going to save u 13% of the time, [300\2200]
and getting it for a year isnt practical since u'll finish it in 2 months,
i'd say do the 300, buy kaplan for a month, u'll have 1900 left, put it on high yield mode [which will leave around 1300-1400 questions, it's reasonable to be done in one month, without rushing]
dont worry about the low yield questions, u'll be doing uworld on full potential afterwards, and when u finish kaplan highyield mode in the question bank.. start with what uhave left, u can get a signifiacnt amount done'
im currently in medical school with normal lectures, and got done with 50 % of kaplan in 3 weeks, but actually i didnt spend 3 weeks dedicated to kaplan, only doing 5-6 hours per day

if ur on break, u can finish the whole 2200 in less than a month, if ur not fully free.. aas i said, u'll be done with a significant good part

good luck

He was talking about the new High Yield program, not the "high yield" section of the Qbank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Litax (05-03-2012)
  #8  
Old 04-06-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

It's very good actually. I first want to do Kaplan videos and then focus on kaplan HY but by the bits that I've been able to watch, I can personally say that it's better than DIT. It gets you through FA in much more entertaining manner.

The lecturers are students or graduates (AMG) or residents, that were high scorers and they prepare a lecture by section and reference FA and medessentials (which is cool if you want to do both books). When an animation is needed then they put the animation and explain. Pretty awesome.

What I also like is that fact that I get to see their faces...but not all up in my face (like other videos lectures) because I get distracted. I also like how they talk; since they're young (in their 20's) they speak differently and sometimes you forget that you're being lectured. I remember the lecturer from biochem say something like "it's like we put a whole load of crap onto it" and I laughed because we are always so used to intimidating lecturer type.

I like it. I'm glad I got it. It's a lot of money though, so decide wisely. I can't provide much details because I have only seen here and there but I can't wait to be done with kaplan videos to do HY. I won't substitute HY for DIT- I plan to do both because although being similar, I think I could benefit from using both instead of just one of the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
AliRahmatullah (09-22-2014), Joanna (04-08-2012), Litax (04-06-2012)
  #9  
Old 04-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan564 View Post
He was talking about the new High Yield program, not the "high yield" section of the Qbank.
Ha, ha! More like she, but yes, you are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
It's very good actually. I first want to do Kaplan videos and then focus on kaplan HY but by the bits that I've been able to watch, I can personally say that it's better than DIT. It gets you through FA in much more entertaining manner.

The lecturers are students or graduates (AMG) or residents, that were high scorers and they prepare a lecture by section and reference FA and medessentials (which is cool if you want to do both books). When an animation is needed then they put the animation and explain. Pretty awesome.

What I also like is that fact that I get to see their faces...but not all up in my face (like other videos lectures) because I get distracted. I also like how they talk; since they're young (in their 20's) they speak differently and sometimes you forget that you're being lectured. I remember the lecturer from biochem say something like "it's like we put a whole load of crap onto it" and I laughed because we are always so used to intimidating lecturer type.

I like it. I'm glad I got it. It's a lot of money though, so decide wisely. I can't provide much details because I have only seen here and there but I can't wait to be done with kaplan videos to do HY. I won't substitute HY for DIT- I plan to do both because although being similar, I think I could benefit from using both instead of just one of the two.

Thank you. I know it is a lot of money, but it still is the most affordable thing they offer on their website. I think I will get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 04-06-2012
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 653
Threads: 47
Thanked 409 Times in 249 Posts
Reputation: 419
Default

Personally i think DIT is more proactive, i saw the free demo they offer in the kaplan webpage, but i thought i was a little like falcon's high yield, too structured and boring. But i have to say it is very good and complete to review with the FA, i think it's more of a taste choice, because many hate DIT, and i liked it. Check the DEMO, i think its as good as DIT. The thing i liked about DIT is the constant Q's. Whatever source you decide, always do your best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 04-07-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 230
Threads: 20
Thanked 73 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litax View Post
Has anyone used it? Is it good? Is it worth paying for?

New Kaplan's Step 1 High Yield


I have the 2011 grey Kaplan's already, FA and I am thinking on getting Kaplan's Qbank and the UW too.

I just need to decide if the NEW Kaplan's Step 1 High Yield is worth getting.

What do you think?
I'm using kaplan HY course.
It ' s really good.
But it all depend also on your background.
Im doing my second run through all subects now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
AliRahmatullah (09-22-2014)
  #13  
Old 09-22-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveli55 View Post
I'm using kaplan HY course.
It ' s really good.
But it all depend also on your background.
Im doing my second run through all subects now.
Hey, Litax and others...I'm thinking of getting the Kaplan HY for Step 1 and wanted to know if what your final verdict was! Is it worth it? I passed my NBME and UsmleWorld Simulated Exams by the bare minimum, my exam is 7 weeks away so I wanted to know whether this would be a good way to review things along with general review from First Aid!

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 09-23-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 29
Threads: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Kaplan HY for Step1

Can anyone Post Links to Download Kaplan High Yield Series?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Kaplan-Medical

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Yield Blood Films for your Step 2 CK! aasiaafzal USMLE Step 2 CK Bits & Pieces 10 07-12-2016 08:03 AM
High Yield Images for Step 2 CK USMLE-Syndrome USMLE Step 2 CK Bits & Pieces 59 05-19-2016 08:27 AM
need high yield notes for step 2 ck kemoo USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 05-15-2011 08:48 AM
How high yield is neuroanatomy for Step 2 CK? americandoc USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 1 04-26-2011 08:24 AM
Genetic information missing in FA, High yield or Low yield? Dr_Kal_El USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 01-06-2011 06:38 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)