Pleease Pleeeeease help! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default Pleease Pleeeeease help!

Hello guys

I am an IMG going for Step 1 at the end of this month.

I finished FA for about 4 times and did BRS Physiology and Pathology
Did UWorld first time got 82% correct
Did USMLE-Rx got average score of 256

I did the UWSA and got me 221
Did NBME 12 and got me 216!!!

I am really freaking out ! I was doing well through studying and solving questions but Self-Assessments shocked me!

Any advice guys on improving??
Please help

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-04-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 83
Threads: 2
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 49
Default

Try to understand why you are missing those questions. NBMEs are very predictive. Focus on understanding Path, Pharm, and Physio very well. Lemme know if you have anymore questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
chanduM (03-12-2016), sdwiekat (03-08-2016), zak09 (03-08-2016)
  #3  
Old 03-04-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 37
Threads: 2
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 33
Default

Hey sdwiekat,

first of all a few questions to get more information and clues why you didn't do so well on the NBMEs compared to your performance in UWorld:

1. How did you go through UWorld? Timed-random, 1 block every time? Your cumulative looks incredibly high for the first-pass, I would have expected your NBME scores to be above 250 with that %.

2. Have you considered to postpone your exam date? I agree with pseudomyxoma and if the NBME scores aren't as high as you expect, then I'd postpone it. Don't take the chances, step 1 is one of the most important aspect to match!

USMLE-Rx is awful to predict your scores, they often overestimate them.
You already did FA 4 times, so don't waste time there. Use your time wisely and focus on your weak points: if it's pathology/pathophysiology, reading/watching pathoma would be beneficial, if it's microbiology, maybe do sketchymicro, etc.

Always reflect on why you got the questions wrong in the NBME. Were you too nervous? Rushed over the question stem? Didn't feel like you knew what they are hinting at? Etc.

Edit: BTW, "Please help" isn't a very descriptive title for a new post.

Last edited by max_volume; 03-04-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
chanduM (03-12-2016), sdwiekat (03-08-2016), zak09 (03-08-2016)
  #4  
Old 03-08-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudomyxoma View Post
Try to understand why you are missing those questions. NBMEs are very predictive. Focus on understanding Path, Pharm, and Physio very well. Lemme know if you have anymore questions
Thanks buddy... That's what I've been doing
Looks like I have a problem in remembering the Microbiology and General Behavioral Sciences and a little bit of Biochem

Also, when I revised the NBME that I took, many questions were wrong due to "Not-focusing on the keyword" to solve the question

Thanks buddy again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
chanduM (03-12-2016)
  #5  
Old 03-08-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_volume View Post
Hey sdwiekat,

first of all a few questions to get more information and clues why you didn't do so well on the NBMEs compared to your performance in UWorld:

1. How did you go through UWorld? Timed-random, 1 block every time? Your cumulative looks incredibly high for the first-pass, I would have expected your NBME scores to be above 250 with that %.

2. Have you considered to postpone your exam date? I agree with pseudomyxoma and if the NBME scores aren't as high as you expect, then I'd postpone it. Don't take the chances, step 1 is one of the most important aspect to match!

USMLE-Rx is awful to predict your scores, they often overestimate them.
You already did FA 4 times, so don't waste time there. Use your time wisely and focus on your weak points: if it's pathology/pathophysiology, reading/watching pathoma would be beneficial, if it's microbiology, maybe do sketchymicro, etc.

Always reflect on why you got the questions wrong in the NBME. Were you too nervous? Rushed over the question stem? Didn't feel like you knew what they are hinting at? Etc.

Edit: BTW, "Please help" isn't a very descriptive title for a new post.
Hey pal
I did UWorld in many aspects, most of them Timed-mood 44 question a block except maybe for the last 300 questions which I did randomly, like Tutor Mode and not necessarily 44 questions a block.

Going through NBME I found that I wasn't focusing that much on the questions and was under a little bit of stress since I was anxious about not doing well. The second thing is that I have a problem in Microbiology, Behavioral Sciences & Biochem a little bit, so I've been doing a lot of practice questions on them for the last week in order to gain strength again.

I usually solve the question either by remembering the answer directly or by critical thinking and ruling out questions. I hope my mind won't betray me on the day of the exam. I will do another NBME this weekend to see if I am improving or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-09-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 22
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

It sounds like your content knowledge is good if you've been doing well prior to the practice exams. I'd try to focus on your test taking environment and mental strategy. The stress and anxiety of trying to finish the questions on time and get them all right can contribute to getting lower scores. Best advice is to go with your gut instinct, as you would do when doing UWorld questions or other casual practice--harder said than done, but it really is true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sdwiekat (03-09-2016)
  #7  
Old 03-09-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTips View Post
It sounds like your content knowledge is good if you've been doing well prior to the practice exams. I'd try to focus on your test taking environment and mental strategy. The stress and anxiety of trying to finish the questions on time and get them all right can contribute to getting lower scores. Best advice is to go with your gut instinct, as you would do when doing UWorld questions or other casual practice--harder said than done, but it really is true!
Thank you sir ! I am currently solving as much QBanks as I can!
Currently working on Kaplan and I find it challenging sometimes
I guess the defect is in finding the Keyword . Also, I have some memory loss in Micro and Biochem :P And of course the equations shall be re-memorized again before the exam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)