Unrecognizable Step 1 exam. 2016 Step 1 Exam Experience - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-06-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default Unrecognizable Step 1 exam. 2016 Step 1 Exam Experience

I just took my step 1 exam in a couple of weeks ago. I spent an entire year studying but had a few breaks in between because I got married and am now 8 months pregnant. I kept having to change the date because of life events that kept happening and would jeopardize my performance if I hadn't - I'm wondering now if maybe USMLE flagged me or something for changing it so many times (like 6?) because the exam I got was absolutely nothing like UWorld or Kaplan and the questions were super detailed about things that are either completely omitted or are covered in a few lines in First Aid. I could have taken it a year ago and it wouldn't have made a difference because UW, FA and Pathoma were completely useless for my exam. Not only that, the 'system' that I got was anatomy - I had at least 50 detailed anatomy questions. I don't know about anyone else, but the majority of people I have spoken to are so relieved they did not get anatomy because it's one of those subjects students tend not to retain, nor can they review from First Aid. I got maybe 20 questions out of First Aid info but not more than that. The whole time I was shaking my head like 'what the heck are they even asking, where is this from, I've never seen this'. I don't know anyone else who had an even remotely similar experience. People were like 'OMG, know your FA' or 'UW was gold for my exam' or 'my exam was literally like Kaplan qbank'. They came out of the exam being able to track the majority of the material back to these primary resources (UW, FA, Pathoma). I'm about 95% sure I failed because I felt like I was blindly guessing - I had no clue what was going on in that exam. I've gone through UW twice, Kaplan qbank once, Pathoma and FA (2015) at least seven time thoroughly. The last NBME I took was in December, but I've taken all of them throughout the year so I knew taking another one would be an inaccurate score as I've seen all of the questions.

I'm not really sure what to do. This isn't one of those situations where you just 'feel bad' about an exam and end up doing well. This is one of those 'there's no way I passed' feelings. This isn't a matter of capability, I did okay on my NBMEs but I know at least 80% of first aid and pathoma and the qbanks were giving me good scores too (75%+). I know based off of my discussions with other students, and my looking at the NBME questions that those questions are VERY different than what I had. This exam felt like an exam for another field of medicine entirely - none of the big concepts (or small ones for that matter) were on there. I literally go through each chapter or FA and cannot remember a single concept tested from that chapter.

My heart is broken as I've invested so much into this, and this was literally my nightmare experience in my mind - I didn't want an exam that asked me questions I wouldn't be able to at least recognize, and I was also praying I wouldn't get anatomy. Further, all of my peers have moved on and I was okay with that because I got married and am having a baby, which are both blessings I'm grateful for - but to fail it now, because of a serious streak of bad luck, is really devastating. I'm devastated and I don't know what to do.

Please don't post any negative comments - I'm already really bummed as it is. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Could this be because I changed my exam so many times? What else can I possibly do now to do well - take an anatomy course??

Thanks ahead of time. </3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-07-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 66 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

To begin with, it sounds unfathomable to me that you've been "flagged" because you changed your date. You did so within a set of regulations and you didn't break any laws. It sounds almost impossible that they would punish you by giving you an unsolveable exam. I mean if they had any problems with your behavior, they could've just prevented you from taking the exam altogether. So I believe that's a thought you need to get off of your mind.
An important thing to remember is that everybody who leaves the exam says the same thing: the exam is unlike all the questions we've seen before, so you're definitely not alone to feel that way. I encourage you to read experiences of people who scored really high, then check the posts they posted before receiving the result, almost all of them felt they did worse than they should, and a few of them felt they would actually fail. Remember: you are measured against a curve, so doing more mistakes on the actual exam might actually correlate with the same score with less mistakes on UW/NBME.
You gave it all you've got, delayed multiple times in good faith, did all the questions you could and honestly I can't see what you could've done more.
Take some time off, trust your nbmes, and believe in yourself.
__________________
May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and rains fall soft upon your fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-08-2016), zak09 (03-07-2016)
  #3  
Old 03-07-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

unfortunately i totally understand what you're going through. my exam felt the exam way, i felt like i was sitting for a PhD biology test, for instance i was tested on CYP-450 subtypes on my exam which i never even dreamed of in a million years. and the big concepts, all those last minute review pages that kaplan teachers prophecized, even details from FA did not show up on my exam. now that im watching the videos again i kinda wanna shout and scream at those things they said were important for the exam.
i had an instant feeling after the 3rd block that i was not doing nearly as good. and you are absolutely right, its not true when people complain that they're gonna fail and the score 245!
my only explanation for you is, people like you and me were just simply out of luck with the test as the questions are picked randomly from a pool.
i hope you did better than i did. nevertheless you shouldnt give up, even if you fail, stay focused and even more motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-08-2016)
 
  #4  
Old 03-07-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 104
Threads: 51
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to tarsuc
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy510 View Post
I just took my step 1 exam in a couple of weeks ago. I spent an entire year studying but had a few breaks in between because I got married and am now 8 months pregnant. I kept having to change the date because of life events that kept happening and would jeopardize my performance if I hadn't - I'm wondering now if maybe USMLE flagged me or something for changing it so many times (like 6?) because the exam I got was absolutely nothing like UWorld or Kaplan and the questions were super detailed about things that are either completely omitted or are covered in a few lines in First Aid. I could have taken it a year ago and it wouldn't have made a difference because UW, FA and Pathoma were completely useless for my exam. Not only that, the 'system' that I got was anatomy - I had at least 50 detailed anatomy questions. I don't know about anyone else, but the majority of people I have spoken to are so relieved they did not get anatomy because it's one of those subjects students tend not to retain, nor can they review from First Aid. I got maybe 20 questions out of First Aid info but not more than that. The whole time I was shaking my head like 'what the heck are they even asking, where is this from, I've never seen this'. I don't know anyone else who had an even remotely similar experience. People were like 'OMG, know your FA' or 'UW was gold for my exam' or 'my exam was literally like Kaplan qbank'. They came out of the exam being able to track the majority of the material back to these primary resources (UW, FA, Pathoma). I'm about 95% sure I failed because I felt like I was blindly guessing - I had no clue what was going on in that exam. I've gone through UW twice, Kaplan qbank once, Pathoma and FA (2015) at least seven time thoroughly. The last NBME I took was in December, but I've taken all of them throughout the year so I knew taking another one would be an inaccurate score as I've seen all of the questions.

I'm not really sure what to do. This isn't one of those situations where you just 'feel bad' about an exam and end up doing well. This is one of those 'there's no way I passed' feelings. This isn't a matter of capability, I did okay on my NBMEs but I know at least 80% of first aid and pathoma and the qbanks were giving me good scores too (75%+). I know based off of my discussions with other students, and my looking at the NBME questions that those questions are VERY different than what I had. This exam felt like an exam for another field of medicine entirely - none of the big concepts (or small ones for that matter) were on there. I literally go through each chapter or FA and cannot remember a single concept tested from that chapter.

My heart is broken as I've invested so much into this, and this was literally my nightmare experience in my mind - I didn't want an exam that asked me questions I wouldn't be able to at least recognize, and I was also praying I wouldn't get anatomy. Further, all of my peers have moved on and I was okay with that because I got married and am having a baby, which are both blessings I'm grateful for - but to fail it now, because of a serious streak of bad luck, is really devastating. I'm devastated and I don't know what to do.

Please don't post any negative comments - I'm already really bummed as it is. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Could this be because I changed my exam so many times? What else can I possibly do now to do well - take an anatomy course??

Thanks ahead of time. </3
good try bruh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-08-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitochon View Post
To begin with, it sounds unfathomable to me that you've been "flagged" because you changed your date. You did so within a set of regulations and you didn't break any laws. It sounds almost impossible that they would punish you by giving you an unsolveable exam. I mean if they had any problems with your behavior, they could've just prevented you from taking the exam altogether. So I believe that's a thought you need to get off of your mind.
An important thing to remember is that everybody who leaves the exam says the same thing: the exam is unlike all the questions we've seen before, so you're definitely not alone to feel that way. I encourage you to read experiences of people who scored really high, then check the posts they posted before receiving the result, almost all of them felt they did worse than they should, and a few of them felt they would actually fail. Remember: you are measured against a curve, so doing more mistakes on the actual exam might actually correlate with the same score with less mistakes on UW/NBME.
You gave it all you've got, delayed multiple times in good faith, did all the questions you could and honestly I can't see what you could've done more.
Take some time off, trust your nbmes, and believe in yourself.
Thank you for your encouraging words, I appreciate your taking the time. I just don't understand how we as students could be guided by so many different sources to study one thing or the other and then get something completely unfair on test day. One reputation that Step 1 has always had was how fair it was, that it 'is't that bad' - but this was nothing close to being true to that. I'm more in a state of shock and honestly, my peers may look at me like I didn't take the exam seriously, when in fact I got something completely different than anything I've been advised to study. Score comes out next week - let's see where things are gonna go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-08-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Thank you for your reply also - I'm sorry to hear that you went through something similar. This is so unfair - we work our butts off, spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to get where we are, sacrifice so much of our own lives to do well, and sincerely go in to do our best and still get something so unrecognizable that we are set up to fail. I don't understand how this is even allowed. I'm really depressed because who's to say this won't happen again the second time - at which point, if a student fails twice, what is left of their career? We are drilled about Step 1 from the first day we step foot in medical school so after a blow like this, what is the recovery going to look like? I come from a seriously disadvantaged background so I really worked hard to make this career work - and now to potentially lose it all?

Best of luck with your moving forward - I hope things work out well for you too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by soroushayrempour View Post
unfortunately i totally understand what you're going through. my exam felt the exam way, i felt like i was sitting for a PhD biology test, for instance i was tested on CYP-450 subtypes on my exam which i never even dreamed of in a million years. and the big concepts, all those last minute review pages that kaplan teachers prophecized, even details from FA did not show up on my exam. now that im watching the videos again i kinda wanna shout and scream at those things they said were important for the exam.
i had an instant feeling after the 3rd block that i was not doing nearly as good. and you are absolutely right, its not true when people complain that they're gonna fail and the score 245!
my only explanation for you is, people like you and me were just simply out of luck with the test as the questions are picked randomly from a pool.
i hope you did better than i did. nevertheless you shouldnt give up, even if you fail, stay focused and even more motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-09-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Hello,

I took my exam on the 25th Feb and I can't stop obsessing over all the things I got wrong. I did really well in NBMES and simulations and finished uworld at 80+ cumulative score. The exam went horrible. I got very nervous and made terrible mistakes. The first three blocks were a complete haze. I had a melt down later in the day. There is another week until the results come out and I have no idea how to wait or what to expect. It is truly heart breaking to see all this hard work go to waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-09-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoe573 View Post
Hello,

I took my exam on the 25th Feb and I can't stop obsessing over all the things I got wrong. I did really well in NBMES and simulations and finished uworld at 80+ cumulative score. The exam went horrible. I got very nervous and made terrible mistakes. The first three blocks were a complete haze. I had a melt down later in the day. There is another week until the results come out and I have no idea how to wait or what to expect. It is truly heart breaking to see all this hard work go to waste.
I'm so sorry to hear you had that experience. I'm pretty nervous too so know you're not alone. My next semester starts on Monday and I'm taking a huge chance and spending a lot of money to go as I can't get any financial aid until I know that I passed (special case) so waiting really stinks for me as well. Plus I'm *very* pregnant so moving around sucks that much more for me right now. I think my results come out on the same day as yours. Next Wednesday right?

Don't worry for now - I think the fact that you can at least recall questions is a good sign. I'm coming closer to accepting that I'll most likely have to take the exam again but that brings on a whole new set of concerns, namely, the possibility that I could get struck with the same situation again - an exam full of unknowns that I've never been exposed to . I think people in your situation are the ones who generally do better than they think they did - your situation being that you can recall questions that you got wrong but *could* have gotten right. I literally only have a handful that I can trace back to the books, some of which I changed correct answers to wrong answers, something I unfortunately do time and time again but now, especially can't afford to do with my test being so ... not FA or UW or Pathoma, etc. Stay positive and pray if you're into that. That's all we can do now. I know I'm praying for a miracle.

And I couldn't agree more, with all the effort we put in, it's very hard to have a positive outlook on everything. We do so much, invest so much time and money and sacrifice time with our families, something so invaluable and irreplaceable, for the sake of this career so I would have thought USMLE would make absolute sure to be more fair in their examining us. As a medical student especially, you've seen many unfair exams along the way, but not only did I expect USMLE to be more fair being that they are, well *THE* USMLE, but that's what a lot of people have told me also, that it lives up to its reputation of being based on these 3 primary resources and being fair. I was actually really excited to take the exam because I was so confident in my knowledge and couldn't wait to see what kinds of questions I'd get. But what else besides failure (and subsequent depression) is expected from students when they're tested on material they've never seen? My poor baby has suffered with me all along the way too. It's all just very heartbreaking. I wanted to do so much good with my degree and help so many people in this world. I hope I still can. We'll see next week. :O

Best of luck! I'll pray for you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-09-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 48
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

hey, hope for the best. i pray for all of you who are waiting for the results
my exam is in two weeks..sorry to ask you all now, but can you please post your nbme scores. please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy510 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear you had that experience. I'm pretty nervous too so know you're not alone. My next semester starts on Monday and I'm taking a huge chance and spending a lot of money to go as I can't get any financial aid until I know that I passed (special case) so waiting really stinks for me as well. Plus I'm *very* pregnant so moving around sucks that much more for me right now. I think my results come out on the same day as yours. Next Wednesday right?

Don't worry for now - I think the fact that you can at least recall questions is a good sign. I'm coming closer to accepting that I'll most likely have to take the exam again but that brings on a whole new set of concerns, namely, the possibility that I could get struck with the same situation again - an exam full of unknowns that I've never been exposed to . I think people in your situation are the ones who generally do better than they think they did - your situation being that you can recall questions that you got wrong but *could* have gotten right. I literally only have a handful that I can trace back to the books, some of which I changed correct answers to wrong answers, something I unfortunately do time and time again but now, especially can't afford to do with my test being so ... not FA or UW or Pathoma, etc. Stay positive and pray if you're into that. That's all we can do now. I know I'm praying for a miracle.

And I couldn't agree more, with all the effort we put in, it's very hard to have a positive outlook on everything. We do so much, invest so much time and money and sacrifice time with our families, something so invaluable and irreplaceable, for the sake of this career so I would have thought USMLE would make absolute sure to be more fair in their examining us. As a medical student especially, you've seen many unfair exams along the way, but not only did I expect USMLE to be more fair being that they are, well *THE* USMLE, but that's what a lot of people have told me also, that it lives up to its reputation of being based on these 3 primary resources and being fair. I was actually really excited to take the exam because I was so confident in my knowledge and couldn't wait to see what kinds of questions I'd get. But what else besides failure (and subsequent depression) is expected from students when they're tested on material they've never seen? My poor baby has suffered with me all along the way too. It's all just very heartbreaking. I wanted to do so much good with my degree and help so many people in this world. I hope I still can. We'll see next week. :O

Best of luck! I'll pray for you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #10  
Old 03-09-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Hey,

Thanks so much for the prayers. I am so in awe of you that you took the exam while pregnant, that too 8 months! wow! You must have nerves of steel.

I can't imagine begin able to recall questions being a good thing. I got so nervous. I can tell off the top of my head SO MANY silly things I got wrong. In your case, if the things were so out of FA and the popular, mainstream books then the chances are that a lot of people won't know them, which means the curve will help you do better. I really hope you do well.

I must say, hats off to you for doing it while pregnant. I hope your baby is born healthy and happy. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ashok1 (11-30-2016), mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #11  
Old 03-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

You have just described exactly how I felt after my test, down to the smallest details. I was absolutely devastated during for weeks it took to get the result. I was also pretty certain that I have failed. But to my surprise I have received very reasonable score ( pretty close to my average nbme, just a little bit lower than I was hoping for before the exam). Keep your fingers cross and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #12  
Old 03-12-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu27 View Post
You have just described exactly how I felt after my test, down to the smallest details. I was absolutely devastated during for weeks it took to get the result. I was also pretty certain that I have failed. But to my surprise I have received very reasonable score ( pretty close to my average nbme, just a little bit lower than I was hoping for before the exam). Keep your fingers cross and good luck!
Hey,

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, how many points lower was it? Not the exact score hurt how many points lower? Although, I doubt that will make me any better because my exam was an absolute disaster. 3 more days until results.

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #13  
Old 03-13-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Hi!
5 points lower than NBME 15(did it 3 weeks before exam) and 15 points less than NBME 17 (5 days before). And 16 points lower than uwsa1,2.
And for me my exam was absolute nightmare.. But .. I did it and I hope you too !!! Good luck !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #14  
Old 03-13-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Hey mindy!

All the best for your resuly. I hope you really make it. Do post about your result when you get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 03-13-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu27 View Post
Hi!
5 points lower than NBME 15(did it 3 weeks before exam) and 15 points less than NBME 17 (5 days before). And 16 points lower than uwsa1,2.
And for me my exam was absolute nightmare.. But .. I did it and I hope you too !!! Good luck !!!!
Hey,

That sounds so weird because I can't make any correlation! I got the same score on uswas and nbme 17 (1 point difference) so I don't knkw what to think. Also, my exam was so horrible. Nothing like nbme or uswa! If it falls by 16/17 points then I am so screwed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-16-2016)



  #16  
Old 03-13-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsuc View Post
good try bruh.
one of my friend gave the exam on 8th march.2016.she said she had 20 to 25 question of antomy in every block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
HussOnCall (03-19-2016), mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #17  
Old 03-14-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 54
Threads: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy510 View Post
I just took my step 1 exam in a couple of weeks ago. I spent an entire year studying but had a few breaks in between because I got married and am now 8 months pregnant. I kept having to change the date because of life events that kept happening and would jeopardize my performance if I hadn't - I'm wondering now if maybe USMLE flagged me or something for changing it so many times (like 6?) because the exam I got was absolutely nothing like UWorld or Kaplan and the questions were super detailed about things that are either completely omitted or are covered in a few lines in First Aid. I could have taken it a year ago and it wouldn't have made a difference because UW, FA and Pathoma were completely useless for my exam. Not only that, the 'system' that I got was anatomy - I had at least 50 detailed anatomy questions. I don't know about anyone else, but the majority of people I have spoken to are so relieved they did not get anatomy because it's one of those subjects students tend not to retain, nor can they review from First Aid. I got maybe 20 questions out of First Aid info but not more than that. The whole time I was shaking my head like 'what the heck are they even asking, where is this from, I've never seen this'. I don't know anyone else who had an even remotely similar experience. People were like 'OMG, know your FA' or 'UW was gold for my exam' or 'my exam was literally like Kaplan qbank'. They came out of the exam being able to track the majority of the material back to these primary resources (UW, FA, Pathoma). I'm about 95% sure I failed because I felt like I was blindly guessing - I had no clue what was going on in that exam. I've gone through UW twice, Kaplan qbank once, Pathoma and FA (2015) at least seven time thoroughly. The last NBME I took was in December, but I've taken all of them throughout the year so I knew taking another one would be an inaccurate score as I've seen all of the questions.

I'm not really sure what to do. This isn't one of those situations where you just 'feel bad' about an exam and end up doing well. This is one of those 'there's no way I passed' feelings. This isn't a matter of capability, I did okay on my NBMEs but I know at least 80% of first aid and pathoma and the qbanks were giving me good scores too (75%+). I know based off of my discussions with other students, and my looking at the NBME questions that those questions are VERY different than what I had. This exam felt like an exam for another field of medicine entirely - none of the big concepts (or small ones for that matter) were on there. I literally go through each chapter or FA and cannot remember a single concept tested from that chapter.

My heart is broken as I've invested so much into this, and this was literally my nightmare experience in my mind - I didn't want an exam that asked me questions I wouldn't be able to at least recognize, and I was also praying I wouldn't get anatomy. Further, all of my peers have moved on and I was okay with that because I got married and am having a baby, which are both blessings I'm grateful for - but to fail it now, because of a serious streak of bad luck, is really devastating. I'm devastated and I don't know what to do.

Please don't post any negative comments - I'm already really bummed as it is. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Could this be because I changed my exam so many times? What else can I possibly do now to do well - take an anatomy course??

Thanks ahead of time. </3
How was the result? im in a simular boat thts y i ask, had to postpone so much too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #18  
Old 03-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default Good luck with your results

Hey,

Don' worry. You'll be fine. Hope for the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #19  
Old 03-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Please let us know how you did. A lot of people are complaining about anatomy (esp pelvic). I'm sure you did great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #20  
Old 03-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

oh wow I really hope you came out on top. After speaking to several ppl it seems as if they felt the same way you did after your exam but their scores were good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drjanedoe573 (03-16-2016), mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #21  
Old 03-16-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 301
Threads: 5
Thanked 234 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 246
Default

Try to relax! Nothing is certain till the scores are out. Everyone feels like crap after giving this exam but I hope you'll do well as you have worked hard. Good luck for the results!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drjanedoe573 (03-16-2016), mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #22  
Old 03-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Thank you everyone for all of your positive reinforcement and support - I can't tell you how nice that is. I thought we were getting scores today but it looks like it's gonna take another week at least.

To all who are getting their scores today, I wish you all the success in the world!

I'll post what happens as soon as I find out anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 03-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

HI, Mindy!
Did you receive your results?
I hope you have a very good score!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-16-2016)
  #24  
Old 03-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Sorry )))my internet didn't work and I didn't see your post !))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 03-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

No worries! I think I have another week. **not complaining though**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
lucasvu (03-16-2016)



  #26  
Old 03-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Cannot really offer you any help or advice as I have super limited experience but dropping in to say that I'm sending some good vibes your way. Hoping it'll work out for you soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-23-2016)
  #27  
Old 03-17-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 10
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

I had my test on feb 22nd, and that was exactly how it went and how I felt walking out of the test center.
the first 2 blocks were a nightmare! I panicked but it got a bit easier from there on, a few freaky questions in each block but the rest of them were fairly easy.
NBME 15 3 months prior 229
NBME 16 one month prior 240
nbme 17 few days before the test 238.

Report came out yesterday and got 228. kinda frustrating and I don't know if I should carry on, but I didn't fail at least..
hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 03-18-2016
AleMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 19
Threads: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

My exam was pretty much like Uworld/NBME/DIT. But one of my classmates who took it a week after me said her exam was pretty hard and nothing like DIT 4-5 stars. She took it at a different location, but we are not really sure what happen. Her score came back 40 points less than expected . Mine was exactly like my last NBME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 49
Threads: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy510 View Post
I just took my step 1 exam in a couple of weeks ago. I spent an entire year studying but had a few breaks in between because I got married and am now 8 months pregnant. I kept having to change the date because of life events that kept happening and would jeopardize my performance if I hadn't - I'm wondering now if maybe USMLE flagged me or something for changing it so many times (like 6?) because the exam I got was absolutely nothing like UWorld or Kaplan and the questions were super detailed about things that are either completely omitted or are covered in a few lines in First Aid. I could have taken it a year ago and it wouldn't have made a difference because UW, FA and Pathoma were completely useless for my exam. Not only that, the 'system' that I got was anatomy - I had at least 50 detailed anatomy questions. I don't know about anyone else, but the majority of people I have spoken to are so relieved they did not get anatomy because it's one of those subjects students tend not to retain, nor can they review from First Aid. I got maybe 20 questions out of First Aid info but not more than that. The whole time I was shaking my head like 'what the heck are they even asking, where is this from, I've never seen this'. I don't know anyone else who had an even remotely similar experience. People were like 'OMG, know your FA' or 'UW was gold for my exam' or 'my exam was literally like Kaplan qbank'. They came out of the exam being able to track the majority of the material back to these primary resources (UW, FA, Pathoma). I'm about 95% sure I failed because I felt like I was blindly guessing - I had no clue what was going on in that exam. I've gone through UW twice, Kaplan qbank once, Pathoma and FA (2015) at least seven time thoroughly. The last NBME I took was in December, but I've taken all of them throughout the year so I knew taking another one would be an inaccurate score as I've seen all of the questions.

I'm not really sure what to do. This isn't one of those situations where you just 'feel bad' about an exam and end up doing well. This is one of those 'there's no way I passed' feelings. This isn't a matter of capability, I did okay on my NBMEs but I know at least 80% of first aid and pathoma and the qbanks were giving me good scores too (75%+). I know based off of my discussions with other students, and my looking at the NBME questions that those questions are VERY different than what I had. This exam felt like an exam for another field of medicine entirely - none of the big concepts (or small ones for that matter) were on there. I literally go through each chapter or FA and cannot remember a single concept tested from that chapter.

My heart is broken as I've invested so much into this, and this was literally my nightmare experience in my mind - I didn't want an exam that asked me questions I wouldn't be able to at least recognize, and I was also praying I wouldn't get anatomy. Further, all of my peers have moved on and I was okay with that because I got married and am having a baby, which are both blessings I'm grateful for - but to fail it now, because of a serious streak of bad luck, is really devastating. I'm devastated and I don't know what to do.

Please don't post any negative comments - I'm already really bummed as it is. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Could this be because I changed my exam so many times? What else can I possibly do now to do well - take an anatomy course??

Thanks ahead of time. </3
Eagerly awaiting for your score! this post put me out of my comfort zone. hope you succeed cos that would give me some optimism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
HussOnCall (03-24-2016), mindy510 (03-23-2016)
  #30  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

did your score come out yet??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

OMG EVERYONE!!!

I CANT BELIEVE THIS BUT (!!!!) I JUST GOT MY SCORE REPORT AND I PASSED!!! And with a decent score!!! I cannot believe my eyes as most of the systems that they're reporting my performance on I don't even remember questions from - like, literally, not one question so I have no clue where that info is coming from. I've never in my life been so certain about something and so wrong - this is a story I'll be telling for the rest of my life. I'm still in a state of shock as it hasn't hit me enough to be able to really understand what just happened and that it's finally over.

Thank you so much to everyone for your support, encouragement and hope! I can't tell you guys how much it helped me to read your posts, reminding me to stay positive and that people are rooting for me out there. I hope this experience is one you all can take something away from too, something that may help you or someone you know.

I wish you all the best of luck if you haven't taken it yet or are awaiting your scores!

I can finally focus on my baby!! YAY!!!!

#stillinshock #howdidthishappen #GRATEFUL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kruno (04-15-2016), thelostsoul (03-23-2016)
  #32  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

To those of you who sent me private messages:

I can't respond because this forum only allows you to respond to private messages after you've made a certain number of posts yourself (15 to be exact).

In response, I did close to my last NBME - I did about 4 points higher than my last NBME.

A piece of advice - really train yourself to trust your initial answers. I changed a few answers last minute that I initially had right and that cost me points it looks like. I might have gotten 10 points higher instead of 4. Although the reason I changed my answers was because they asked me something that required knowing the priority between info, like which one takes precedence. For example, you know the causes of each type of kidney stone, but what if a person presents with a history that includes a combo of the stones' etiology. You have to know which one is the most likely even though we aren't taught that from FA/UW.

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you guys. One thing I learned is to be patient and have faith because there's only so much we can do and the rest is out of our hands. The last three-four weeks have been really hard for me as I was certain I didn't pass. But in the end, it worked out and I stressed out for nothing. Easier said than done, I know - but worth saying it again to drill it home and maybe save someone from unnecessarily stressing too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
thelostsoul (03-23-2016)
  #33  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

congratulations... well how far was ur nbme from the exam? like you took it a week before the exam or what? and which nbme was it?

my exam in 5 days what would recommend for me now? well i am doing Fa but i feel i am not good enough so i wanna take nbme but i know i am not ready yet like i need to go over the forgettable stuff you know, so idk if have to do an nbme or focus on my studying? i did nbme 15 10 days ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-23-2016)
  #34  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 49
Threads: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy510 View Post
To those of you who sent me private messages:

I can't respond because this forum only allows you to respond to private messages after you've made a certain number of posts yourself (15 to be exact).

In response, I did close to my last NBME - I did about 4 points higher than my last NBME.

A piece of advice - really train yourself to trust your initial answers. I changed a few answers last minute that I initially had right and that cost me points it looks like. I might have gotten 10 points higher instead of 4. Although the reason I changed my answers was because they asked me something that required knowing the priority between info, like which one takes precedence. For example, you know the causes of each type of kidney stone, but what if a person presents with a history that includes a combo of the stones' etiology. You have to know which one is the most likely even though we aren't taught that from FA/UW.

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you guys. One thing I learned is to be patient and have faith because there's only so much we can do and the rest is out of our hands. The last three-four weeks have been really hard for me as I was certain I didn't pass. But in the end, it worked out and I stressed out for nothing. Easier said than done, I know - but worth saying it again to drill it home and maybe save someone from unnecessarily stressing too.
Thanks so kind of you! And wish you all the best in your residency application, the baby is the bearer of good news for you Good things ahead. relax, your posts were amazing, served up the truth cold but also showed theres hope.

I was waiting for your score report as well. Glad to see youve done well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-23-2016)
  #35  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

My last NBME was months ago, like in late December - I couldn't take one closer to my exam because I had already taken them all and it wouldn't have been an accurate score anyways as I would have remembered the questions. The last one I took was NBME 17. It also goes to show that all that extra time spent memorizing minutia in FA was for nothing.

I think it's important to be in test mode, because that test day is long, you will need the stamina and that mental energy and prep. It might be better for you to take an NBME, not for the score but for the sake of getting ready to be in that mode (although your adrenaline will get you through it pretty fast and it'll be over before you know it - still, it's a long 8 hours). Take lots of food but don't fill yourself up because you might get sleepy. I took some mac n cheese, chocolates and fruit, lots of water! If you think the NBME score might discourage you, then maybe do UWorld sets instead. You know more than you think you know so do what you can with FA - most people can't memorize the whole thing - it's impossible to know everything (for most people anyway) - but I've also found that even if you can't recite the book off the top of your head, you can figure out the right answer from a set of choices.

Best of luck - let me know if you have any other questions!


Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle8 View Post
congratulations... well how far was ur nbme from the exam? like you took it a week before the exam or what? and which nbme was it?

my exam in 5 days what would recommend for me now? well i am doing Fa but i feel i am not good enough so i wanna take nbme but i know i am not ready yet like i need to go over the forgettable stuff you know, so idk if have to do an nbme or focus on my studying? i did nbme 15 10 days ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
thelostsoul (03-23-2016)



  #36  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Thank you so much Ahmed1992! It's going to take some time for this to settle in and for me to undo my DABDA process lol - I'm still in denial but so sincerely grateful.

Anything you guys need, let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed1992 View Post
Thanks so kind of you! And wish you all the best in your residency application, the baby is the bearer of good news for you Good things ahead. relax, your posts were amazing, served up the truth cold but also showed theres hope.

I was waiting for your score report as well. Glad to see youve done well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

"The last one I took was NBME 17. It also goes to show that all that extra time spent memorizing minutia in FA was for nothing. " what do you mean by this ??

well i am panicing actually and i know if i didnt get a good score i would be discouraged but i wanna know where i stand even tho its the end of my eligibilty either way...i am just lost and dont know what to do esp i have invested a lot of time and effort in studying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Thanks for sharing your experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-25-2016)
  #39  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 66 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

congratulations! glad to finally hear it came out better than you expected. I took my exam a couple of days ago and now i'm in the exact same phase hahaha.
I have a question for you: would you say the curve is more forgiving than NBMEs? In other words, in the latest NBMEs, 4-5 mistakes per block could get you 250+. How would you say the exam compares? would you say that you made the same number of mistakes in NBME? or less? I know that you can't know for sure but i'm going crazy with the calculations here
__________________
May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and rains fall soft upon your fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-25-2016)
  #40  
Old 03-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

my congratulations, Mindy!!!
you did a good job !
good luck with 2 CK!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-25-2016)
  #41  
Old 03-24-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 22
Threads: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Mindy, you owe us an apology, I was worried sick! I couldn't stop thinking about this post. Glad that you are happy with the results! Congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-25-2016)
  #42  
Old 03-24-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 104
Threads: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default

Congrats Mindy! I felt the exact same way - the hours before the score came out was just torture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-25-2016), mitochon (03-27-2016)
  #43  
Old 03-24-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 51
Threads: 12
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Hi mindy can you tell us how you prepped and NBME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44  
Old 03-24-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 51
Threads: 12
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Hi can you tell us how you prepped and NBME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45  
Old 03-25-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 45
Threads: 13
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Congrats

I was so happy when I read your post with a PASSED on it !!! I was so worry when I read your first post, that I was nervous about you writing again with the results. I am so glad you are over with step 1 and can now go to the next step.

Congratulations!!!! You did it.!!
Now you can stop worrying about the step 1 and focus on your baby!! Hope everything go well with the baby too. Congratulations again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (03-25-2016)



  #46  
Old 03-25-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Hi Mounir10:

I meant that I had taken the last NBME a few months ago and still only increased on my actual step by a few points. I'm still surprised I passed at all - if my exam was more representative of FA and UW, I might have had a much bigger jump, but as the panic in my first post shows, the exam was not like anything I had ever seen.

How did you prepare? If you invested a lot of time, it'll pay off one way or another. Just pray you don't get a random exam like I did. If it's anything like what my friends got, the exam 'isn't that bad' and is much more fair usually. Be confident in yourself and don't change your answers unless you're absolutely certain you had it wrong the first time. I know I changed some answers in the few questions that I could trace back to the book - again, because they were multi-layered questions that I couldn't have known either (like the example I gave in another reply where they ask which kidney stone it'd be with a combo of the etiologies ...).

Let me know if there's anything I can do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounir10 View Post
"The last one I took was NBME 17. It also goes to show that all that extra time spent memorizing minutia in FA was for nothing. " what do you mean by this ??

well i am panicing actually and i know if i didnt get a good score i would be discouraged but i wanna know where i stand even tho its the end of my eligibilty either way...i am just lost and dont know what to do esp i have invested a lot of time and effort in studying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #47  
Old 03-26-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Hi Mitochon:

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure Step 1 has to be more generous with their curve than NBME's. I honestly think they probably count like 30 questions total and the rest are there as fillers lol. I don't know - I have no way of explaining how I possible passed but I'm just elated that I did. I also think it depends on which kind of exam you got - it seems to be a theme I've seen both online and with some of my friends who get a lot of questions they thought were easy and left the exam feeling good, only to be surprised by their (lower than expected) score. It's USMLE, they probably have a different formula for each type of exam (drop more questions for harder exams, count more questions for easier exams, etc.). I imagine that I made far less mistakes on my practice NBME's but got a lower score on them than my actual exam so there has to be something they're doing.

Either way, just wait it out and learn from me not to stress. There's nothing that can be done now. I know how hard that is to ask that of someone in your shoes, others told me to relax too (on this forum as well!) but try at least - it's in your own benefit.

Wishing you the best of luck! Let us know what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitochon View Post
congratulations! glad to finally hear it came out better than you expected. I took my exam a couple of days ago and now i'm in the exact same phase hahaha.
I have a question for you: would you say the curve is more forgiving than NBMEs? In other words, in the latest NBMEs, 4-5 mistakes per block could get you 250+. How would you say the exam compares? would you say that you made the same number of mistakes in NBME? or less? I know that you can't know for sure but i'm going crazy with the calculations here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mitochon (03-27-2016)
  #48  
Old 03-26-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Hi HussOnCall!

Lol this post cracked me up - I do apologize but I was TERRIFIED - and sincerely. People who saw how devastated I was now think I was bluffing, but I wasn't. This is a mystery of life that I'll never figure out - but I can live with that.

I don't think anyone will ever take me seriously again.

Thank you for the congrats - I celebrated a mini baby shower yesterday with a few friends and only now is it sinking in that I'm done with Step 1! OMG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HussOnCall View Post
Mindy, you owe us an apology, I was worried sick! I couldn't stop thinking about this post. Glad that you are happy with the results! Congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #49  
Old 03-26-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Hi sss2g2!

I finished UWorld a could of times and attempted taking notes, but I ran out of time to review those notes so that didn't help. I also have gone through FA a gajillion times - most of the reviews I read said that people who got like a 260+ were the ones who memorized the minutia of FA. I did that too but didn't see any of that on there. I did see two UW questions repeated verbatim though. I've done Kaplan qbank in the past but that was also over a year ago. Again, I had two friends who said their exam was exactly like Kaplan. :-/ I listed to Golijan audio and annotated the transcript but again, all the things I spent taking notes on feels like time wasted because I didn't get a chance to go back and actually study, commit to memory. But again, my exam didn't look familiar at all so I doubt those resources would have helped on there either. And of course, I used pathoma too. So all in all, FA 2015, UW, Kaplan, Pathoma, and Golijan's audio lectures.

My NBME's were okay - most were taken a long time ago (like a year ago) so the scores were all over the place and I made big jumps from one to the other because of how much time I spent studying in between. I don't want to lie and report false numbers, but they were not the best in my honest opinion - at least not for what I wanted to get into the specialty I want.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sss2g2 View Post
Hi mindy can you tell us how you prepped and NBME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #50  
Old 03-26-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Hi Neurogirl91 and pita!

Thank you guys for the congrats.

Neurogirl91 - I hope you are happy with your score too!!

pita: Thank you so much - I'm only now beginning to feel the fact that it's officially in the past. I'm sincerely so grateful. I'm getting ready for the baby finally too - but she's breech so my doctor said I have to schedule a c-section, which I don't want because the recovery is going to take so much longer. As long as she's healthy - poor girl has gone through so much cortisol exposure already, I hope everything developed okay!

All I want to do now is go baby shopping. Thanks again guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pita View Post
I was so happy when I read your post with a PASSED on it !!! I was so worry when I read your first post, that I was nervous about you writing again with the results. I am so glad you are over with step 1 and can now go to the next step.

Congratulations!!!! You did it.!!
Now you can stop worrying about the step 1 and focus on your baby!! Hope everything go well with the baby too. Congratulations again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #51  
Old 04-09-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 54
Threads: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default step1 change

Can anyone tell me wat this new change happening on may 9th??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #52  
Old 04-09-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

From what I understand, the questions are dropping down to 40 per block, and you don't get your score in 3 weeks anymore - it takes much longer. But that's just what I remember off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #53  
Old 04-09-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 45
Threads: 13
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Official announcement

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ON USMLE.ORG

Most score reporting of Step 1 results occurs within four weeks of testing. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, as well as a change to new test delivery software, there will be a delay in reporting for some examinees who test beginning the week of May 9, 2016.

The target date for reporting Step 1 scores for most examinees testing the week of May 9 through late June will be Wednesday, July 13, 2016. For examinees whose circumstances require that they receive Step 1 scores before July 13, it is recommended that they take Step 1 no later than May 7.
During this time period, a transition will occur in the number of items in current forms of the Step 1 examination.

The total number of items will decrease from 308 to no more than 280. Although the transition will occur quickly at many test centers, there may be some locations where the changes take slightly longer to complete. The overall transition period will likely last approximately 6 weeks. Please note the following:
Scores on new and old exam forms will be comparable; the decrease in the number of items per form will be accounted for in scoring the examination results.
The length of the examination day will remain unchanged. The test day will continue to be divided into seven 60-minute item blocks, an optional 15-minute tutorial, and 45 minutes of break time, for a total of 8 hours.
The number of items per block on a given examination form may vary but will not exceed 40 items. The number of items in a block is displayed on the screen at the beginning of the block. Please note this information and pace yourself accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (04-09-2016), reach_stars (04-10-2016)
  #54  
Old 04-09-2016
250orbust's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 108
Threads: 16
Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 49
Send a message via Skype™ to 250orbust
Default Yipeee

Go mindy510!!!
__________________
Dr 250 or BuSt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mindy510 (04-09-2016)
  #55  
Old 04-10-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

PLease email it to me thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #56  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 30
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to Tasnim
Default

Hi mindy,congratulations on ur success,u are a brave person to appear in exam as u did ..being 8 months pregnant.I wanted to ask u how it was as may be I'll be following same path, I am the mother of one 2 year old and hoping for a second,can u please tell how it was,Goodluck with ur ck,thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #57  
Old 05-12-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 45
Threads: 13
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I was wondering the other day, how's your baby ? hopefully everything went well with your baby as it did with the exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #58  
Old 07-02-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 26
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

congrats
and thanks for sharing your experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #59  
Old 07-31-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 20
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USMLE Step 3 Experience Jan 2016 Chickenmuffn USMLE Step 3 Forum 9 04-05-2016 11:19 AM
Study partner for step 1 exam in June 2016, USA, NC. Msaleh USMLE Step 1 Study Partners 2 03-09-2016 01:51 AM
step 1 sp , exam on august 2016 e11ie USMLE Step 1 Study Partners 8 01-25-2016 05:19 PM
Need a study partner for step 1 exam in Jan 2016 Gen15 USMLE Step 1 Study Partners 2 10-01-2015 07:32 AM
done with step 1. now need some help with exam planning for 2016 match slacker.mle IMG Residency Match Forum 5 12-09-2014 07:40 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)