What do you think of my study plan? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Planning What do you think of my study plan?

Hi guys, i hope you're doing well


i'm about to start preparing for my step 1 exam this summer and i'm planning to do it for one year but some parts of my "PLAN" are not complete so i need your help please

i don't know what how should i study system by system ? or should i study subject by subject (anato - physio ...etc) ? and what are the ups and downs?

Books :

Kaplan Lecture Notes + Video Lectures

BRS Physio

Goljan Patho

First Aid

Q banks :

USMLE world and Kaplan Q bank and some other (if you recommend something else plz let me know)

8 Hours a day (i need to get to the lectures in the morning so i'll be doing it from 3 PM to 11 PM) - should i go to the gym to blow off some steam or should i study and rest+sleep ?

for one year (Full 12 month) and then take the Kaplan course after that to the exam


what do you think guys !

plz help i'm really excited to start but i need to be clear on these parts


thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 04-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

hay, it is nice to be excited but don't u think 1 year is too much? I mean try to make a shorter period so u don't lose the motivation or get bored with long preparing period
Anyway i guess u should go out in breaks not just sleep & meet friend (believe me u don't want to feel inprisoned by step 1 overwhelming subjects)
As for studying method i think (my opinion) is that studying by systems is more time- conserving & makes it easier to understand the whole picture ( am currently studying this way )
But at the end it is how u feel that determines the method of studying & breaks times & methods of relaxation.
R u a student or graduate?
IMG or AMG?
Hope i helped
__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-14-2012)
  #3  
Old 04-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by in-a-hurry View Post
hay, it is nice to be excited but don't u think 1 year is too much? I mean try to make a shorter period so u don't lose the motivation or get bored with long preparing period
Anyway i guess u should go out in breaks not just sleep & meet friend (believe me u don't want to feel inprisoned by step 1 overwhelming subjects)
As for studying method i think (my opinion) is that studying by systems is more time- conserving & makes it easier to understand the whole picture ( am currently studying this way )
But at the end it is how u feel that determines the method of studying & breaks times & methods of relaxation.
R u a student or graduate?
IMG or AMG?
Hope i helped
First of all thank you for your fast reply you're of big help

i'm taking one year cause i have to waste my morning hours at school and i would like to REALLY get a hold of all the systems cause it's gonna help me even with my GPA

as for the systemic approach i agree and it's nice to know that some one is on the same track

i'm a student at the end of my second year and i''m an IMG

what are the books that you're using if i may ask ?

and what do you think of the idea (taking the Kaplan course after i finish my self studying method) ?

thank you again for your big help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

hello
u r welcome anytime
Kaplan course : i have no idea, write it down in the search box & find what the members of the forum have to say about it !
regarding being a student (am in the same boat too in this) heheheheh
I am a 3rd-year student . It is hard to study & go to school but guess what am studying for step 1 with my school courses , currently this year is all about path & micro
. So i am studying them for step 1 plus doing physio & not yet anatomy along with each system .
__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-14-2012)
  #5  
Old 04-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

sorry forgot to answer the materials question, am using
Goljan for pathology
Kaplan micro
BRS physio
Kaplan anatomy
bio will use kaplan too
am currently concentrating on path this week as i have a test at school then next week on micro for a test too , so i study systemic portions of physio & anatomy on weekends of non-test weeks hhhhhh really confusing but really having fun doing this during school cus it will help so much in getting a job & be ahead of my class hhhhhh
Hope u r that evil too
Enjoy
__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-14-2012)
  #6  
Old 04-14-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 647 Times in 409 Posts
Reputation: 657
Default

cut the training for a bit
no time for step1 and gym

this is coming from someone who used to weightlift and up until this point in my life, weightlifting was my life.

but u cant do both.

but rest of your sources and plan look good!
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-14-2012)
  #7  
Old 04-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

it's really comforting to know that there're people on the same boat

i think your collection of books are awesome

and Good for you it's great to study for the step 1 and school at the same time

Lol same here I'm doing it to get ahead of my classmates

I hope you do wonderful on your upcoming exam, kick ass man

Good luck and thank you very much for everything, cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NickRiviera View Post
cut the training for a bit
no time for step1 and gym

this is coming from someone who used to weightlift and up until this point in my life, weightlifting was my life.

but u cant do both.

but rest of your sources and plan look good!

Hey doc Good to know i don't usually go to the gym, was planning on doing it to blow of some steam

but i guess i'm gonna look for another way to blow steam


thanks i'm glad you liked the plan


thanx for the Great advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

welcome anytime
__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

One year even with school is a bit too much. Have you thought about going systemwise but doing subjects in pairs? E.g. doing all systems from patho and physio first, then moving on to pharma and biochem, and then doing anatomy. This might be helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-15-2012)
  #11  
Old 04-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
One year even with school is a bit too much. Have you thought about going systemwise but doing subjects in pairs? E.g. doing all systems from patho and physio first, then moving on to pharma and biochem, and then doing anatomy. This might be helpful too.
Hmmm i never heard of this way before but it really seems interesting , how is it better than doing it system by system or subject by subject ?


as for the 1 year period it's only an estimation i really don't know how much it would take me, i have ALOT of exams through out the year and in my school attendance is Mandatory


i'm planning to finish 2-3 systems this summer that i'm gonna study next year so that when i attend their lecs it becomes sort of a reversion for me



Thanx for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 04-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam G View Post
Hmmm i never heard of this way before but it really seems interesting , how is it better than doing it system by system or subject by subject ?


as for the 1 year period it's only an estimation i really don't know how much it would take me, i have ALOT of exams through out the year and in my school attendance is Mandatory


i'm planning to finish 2-3 systems this summer that i'm gonna study next year so that when i attend their lecs it becomes sort of a reversion for me



Thanx for the help
I know someone who followed this system and got a really good Step 1 score. (I don't really remember how much but I think it was around 245). I am using this method and it really does work for me.

I have tried studying both system-wise and subject-wise. In system-wise, my concepts were getting really good but I had two problems:

(1) It took me a lot longer than going subject-wise.
(2) Since I am a medical student and I am studying on a modular system in my college, I was not able to finish AN ENTIRE subject in a 4 week module.

Therefore I changed over to subject-wise studying. That was easy to follow and I could work quickly, however whenever I reached a subject, there was some stuff from the other subjects of the system that I forgot and I had to go back to the other subjects as well.

Then I came onto this system. Its really good because patho and physio are very much inter-related and so are pharma and biochem. Plus these form a major chunk of the Step 1 course. Studying this way, I am able to complete at least one pair of subjects in a module. The second pair I will do while preparing for my final exams at the end of the year. Plus it takes a lot less time than going system wise. Try studying like this for a week. You will seriously see the difference. Best of Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-15-2012)
  #13  
Old 04-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam G View Post
Hmmm i never heard of this way before but it really seems interesting , how is it better than doing it system by system or subject by subject ?


as for the 1 year period it's only an estimation i really don't know how much it would take me, i have ALOT of exams through out the year and in my school attendance is Mandatory


i'm planning to finish 2-3 systems this summer that i'm gonna study next year so that when i attend their lecs it becomes sort of a reversion for me



Thanx for the help
And I would like to add something else too: When i started studying for Step 1, I was also balancing Step 1 prep with my med school and I really got lost in between. Sometimes I used to go into unneccessary details of stuff because we were being taught those iin School, otherwise I skipped some topics which were skipped in School. And that wasted a lot of time. Just make sure that you keep your real goal (passing med school and getting a great Step 1 score) in mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-15-2012)
  #14  
Old 04-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
I know someone who followed this system and got a really good Step 1 score. (I don't really remember how much but I think it was around 245). I am using this method and it really does work for me.

I have tried studying both system-wise and subject-wise. In system-wise, my concepts were getting really good but I had two problems:

(1) It took me a lot longer than going subject-wise.
(2) Since I am a medical student and I am studying on a modular system in my college, I was not able to finish AN ENTIRE subject in a 4 week module.

Therefore I changed over to subject-wise studying. That was easy to follow and I could work quickly, however whenever I reached a subject, there was some stuff from the other subjects of the system that I forgot and I had to go back to the other subjects as well.

Then I came onto this system. Its really good because patho and physio are very much inter-related and so are pharma and biochem. Plus these form a major chunk of the Step 1 course. Studying this way, I am able to complete at least one pair of subjects in a module. The second pair I will do while preparing for my final exams at the end of the year. Plus it takes a lot less time than going system wise. Try studying like this for a week. You will seriously see the difference. Best of Luck.
WOW this is Really useful and new


i'm gonna try and do it with the anatomy next Saturday along with histo i think


thanx so much this is a very useful experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 04-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
And I would like to add something else too: When i started studying for Step 1, I was also balancing Step 1 prep with my med school and I really got lost in between. Sometimes I used to go into unneccessary details of stuff because we were being taught those iin School, otherwise I skipped some topics which were skipped in School. And that wasted a lot of time. Just make sure that you keep your real goal (passing med school and getting a great Step 1 score) in mind!
yeah i'm gonna have to watch out for that... but till now i think i got a pretty good plan along with the school studying

things always pops up from no where sometimes so i'll keep it in mind


thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 04-15-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam G View Post
WOW this is Really useful and new


i'm gonna try and do it with the anatomy next Saturday along with histo i think


thanx so much this is a very useful experience
No problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Starters, Step-1-Study-Plans

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
study plan ..please help ! bash rcs USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 11-20-2012 05:59 PM
Need some help on my study plan! Hope2Pass USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 04-26-2011 10:39 AM
Study plan help. donofitaly USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 02-19-2011 11:37 PM
My study plan..is it ok?? dumb_freak USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 01-21-2011 05:13 AM
Please help me with my study plan ethos85 USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 10-19-2010 04:09 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)