Help me!! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 40
Threads: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Help me!!

What are all the sources and material needed for usmle step 1 ? Like Kaplan lecture notes and videos and then is there anything else might help ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-17-2016
thelostsoul's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 51
Threads: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Kaplan books & videos are the basic sources you need to understand the concepts in all subjects.But as far as i know,Kaplan path isn't good enough & so most of them do either Goljan audio lectures with the Goljan book,or pathoma videos with the pathoma book for pathology.See which works for you.I've heard Goljan is very eloborate & a lil time consuming but nevertheless good & so if u've got enough time u can go for it.Comparatively pathoma is more high-yield & equally good as well.Some study other supplemental books for the other subjects as well,such as BRS physio etc,but that's upto to u.The main REVIEW book is First Aid.It's very compressed & high yield material so u can do it once u go through kaplan i guess.These are the main books.

Other than that u wld need Q-Banks to learn from as well as to assess urself.U-WORLD is a MUST.U can try other q-banks if u want(like kaplan,UsmleRx).All the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-17-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 40
Threads: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

So i can depend on kaplan Except pathology. Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-17-2016
thelostsoul's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 51
Threads: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.daniel View Post
So i can depend on kaplan Except pathology. Thanks a lot
Yuup.And u will need FA & Uworld once u finish reviewing kaplan.U're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-17-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 40
Threads: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Will proceed as you say thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-19-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

had similar question.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-30-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostsoul View Post
Kaplan books & videos are the basic sources you need to understand the concepts in all subjects.But as far as i know,Kaplan path isn't good enough & so most of them do either Goljan audio lectures with the Goljan book,or pathoma videos with the pathoma book for pathology.See which works for you.I've heard Goljan is very eloborate & a lil time consuming but nevertheless good & so if u've got enough time u can go for it.Comparatively pathoma is more high-yield & equally good as well.Some study other supplemental books for the other subjects as well,such as BRS physio etc,but that's upto to u.The main REVIEW book is First Aid.It's very compressed & high yield material so u can do it once u go through kaplan i guess.These are the main books.

Other than that u wld need Q-Banks to learn from as well as to assess urself.U-WORLD is a MUST.U can try other q-banks if u want(like kaplan,UsmleRx).All the best
hi, i need an advice, i finished kln 1st read and pathoma, do i need to repeat them again, or just start FA? thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-30-2016
thelostsoul's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 51
Threads: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan80 View Post
hi, i need an advice, i finished kln 1st read and pathoma, do i need to repeat them again, or just start FA? thank you.
Really,it's upto you.If u think you got a good understanding of the concepts,u can start doing Uworld & FA,or u can go through kaplan again if u want(esp if u think u have enough time).But to be honest,depending on when ur exam its better to start doing UW & FA as early as possible.I haven't given my exam yet,hopefully soon...Personally,now i wish i had started using them earlier cuz u can learn so much from just UW & FA.While doing questions if u feel u dun understand smth specifically,u can always go back & watch the kaplan videos pertaining to that topic.So,its upto you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-30-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostsoul View Post
Really,it's upto you.If u think you got a good understanding of the concepts,u can start doing Uworld & FA,or u can go through kaplan again if u want(esp if u think u have enough time).But to be honest,depending on when ur exam its better to start doing UW & FA as early as possible.I haven't given my exam yet,hopefully soon...Personally,now i wish i had started using them earlier cuz u can learn so much from just UW & FA.While doing questions if u feel u dun understand smth specifically,u can always go back & watch the kaplan videos pertaining to that topic.So,its upto you.
Thank you, i tried to read some topics in FA, its seems hard and inefficient ! i feel more confident and better understanding with KLN. may be ill stick to them, do uworld and kaplan q bank and forget about FA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-30-2016
thelostsoul's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 51
Threads: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan80 View Post
Thank you, i tried to read some topics in FA, its seems hard and inefficient ! i feel more confident and better understanding with KLN. may be ill stick to them, do uworld and kaplan q bank and forget about FA.
When r u planning to take the exam?I mean approx in which month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-30-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostsoul View Post
When r u planning to take the exam?I mean approx in which month?
Probably by end of this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 03-31-2016
thelostsoul's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 51
Threads: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan80 View Post
Probably by end of this year.
Well thn u've got enough time i suppose.In that case yeah u cld do kaplan again.And btw,thats exactly how i felt when i started reading FA during the initial days of my prep.But once u start doing Uworld,it gets easier to understand the stuff in FA.Honestly its the best review book that's out there & during the last phase of ur prep,it will be really useful as it's concise & contains most of the vital info.I suggest u read FA side by side once u start Uworld & annotate the missing stuff into that book from UW.All the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
marwan80 (03-31-2016)
  #13  
Old 03-31-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostsoul View Post
Well thn u've got enough time i suppose.In that case yeah u cld do kaplan again.And btw,thats exactly how i felt when i started reading FA during the initial days of my prep.But once u start doing Uworld,it gets easier to understand the stuff in FA.Honestly its the best review book that's out there & during the last phase of ur prep,it will be really useful as it's concise & contains most of the vital info.I suggest u read FA side by side once u start Uworld & annotate the missing stuff into that book from UW.All the best
Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 04-12-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 51
Threads: 4
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default Keep it simple

Read Uworld - all the questions and add some points to your First Aid book as and when needed .Or add pages to FA.

Then do the above again.

Use Kaplan's as your reference books and read once if you wish.

Now do the NBME's till you get the score close to what you want .

write strep 1

Keep it simple as above . Dont complicate it.

2 blocks will be tough the other 5 blocks will be easy . You can get the to tough blocks first one after the other.

Patho and Physio and the other subjects is enough in Kaplan's seven books .

The last 70 pages in FA - read a few times . And on day before . No reading on day of exam.

The biostatistics and ethics are enough in Kaplan's. Don't panic .

3-4 months full time studying . More if your pace is slower. Difficult to do in 2 months unless you just finished these subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)