Subject-wise or System-wise Step 1 Prep? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Help Subject-wise or System-wise Step 1 Prep?

Hi everyone i made a thread about a week ago about my plan and all, but each time a problem comes up and i solve it another comes up which is EXHAUSTING !


my problem is : what is better systemic or subjective Design for studying?

(knowing that i'm a student in the second year which is tough in it self i know exams wise)

the other problem is : if i'm gonna study in a systemic way what am i gonna do with micro ?


the third problem is : ppl keep saying/writing that i should finish Kaplan like 3 to 4 times to get a high score... what if i'm gonna study in a systemic design how am i gonna do that ?


thanx guys in advance u've been of great help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 04-20-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 276 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 286
Default

I think the first two reads should be subjective and the order should be same as in medical school like Anatomy, Physio, Micro, Biochem, Path, Pharma, BS. Then it should be systemic reading to solidify everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-21-2012)
  #3  
Old 04-20-2012
Valkoff's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 92
Threads: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

So long as you are able to integrate the knowledge, I think there is no real difference between system wise and subject wise preparation. Do whatever you feel more comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-21-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0101 View Post
I think the first two reads should be subjective and the order should be same as in medical school like Anatomy, Physio, Micro, Biochem, Path, Pharma, BS. Then it should be systemic reading to solidify everything.
How much time does take to finish the two reads ? and is it comprehensive reads or memorizing reads ?


Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkoff View Post
So long as you are able to integrate the knowledge, I think there is no real difference between system wise and subject wise preparation. Do whatever you feel more comfortable with.
Believe me there's a BIG difference, system wise have alot of Problems books wise, cause almost all of the books are Subjective

and the systemic approaches is way more comprehensive from my point of view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-21-2012
Valkoff's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 92
Threads: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam G View Post
Believe me there's a BIG difference, system wise have alot of Problems books wise, cause almost all of the books are Subjective

and the systemic approaches is way more comprehensive from my point of view
You misunderstood. I meant that study based on convenience, not a notion of either method being superior than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-21-2012)
  #7  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 52
Thanked 388 Times in 148 Posts
Reputation: 398
Wink advice

just read bio and micro/immuno, general pharma...subject wise

for the rest, organ-system wise

that's what i did and it helps consolidate the info, with more of a clinical sense of the subject,

for example, myocardial infarction, when u study its physio, patho and pharmacology aspects u get the whole picture of myocardial infarction at once.....


believe me, it is amazing
__________________
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
billy (11-22-2012), d_wiqed (04-21-2012), dr_pawandeep (02-06-2014), hope2015 (06-20-2013), Kam G (04-21-2012)
  #8  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 276 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 286
Default

I totally agree with Valkoff that it's to your convenience and u will have to see your your comfort level.as far as time, it will take4 months acc to me for the first two reads. I would do first to clarify basics n memories the concepts n not the figures or values or formulae which I would memorize in 2nd read. After that it all about repeating n consolidating in your brain.more you repeat the more you will remember. Also FA is kind of book that no matter how many times u read it,you will find something new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam G View Post
How much time does take to finish the two reads ? and is it comprehensive reads or memorizing reads ?


Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kam G (04-21-2012)
  #9  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkoff View Post
You misunderstood. I meant that study based on convenience, not a notion of either method being superior than the other.
ur right i'm sorry for misunderstanding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkoff View Post
So long as you are able to integrate the knowledge, I think there is no real difference between system wise and subject wise preparation. Do whatever you feel more comfortable with.
Will do thanx man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermedic View Post
just read bio and micro/immuno, general pharma...subject wise

for the rest, organ-system wise

that's what i did and it helps consolidate the info, with more of a clinical sense of the subject,

for example, myocardial infarction, when u study its physio, patho and pharmacology aspects u get the whole picture of myocardial infarction at once.....


believe me, it is amazing
yeah i think i'm gonna go subjective with the general stuff and systemic with the rest just like u said

but i have a Q what's up with the NBME what is this alot of ppl seems to take it to predict there score and there're alot of types i think, do u mind explaining what it is plz ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 47
Threads: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0101 View Post
I totally agree with Valkoff that it's to your convenience and u will have to see your your comfort level.as far as time, it will take4 months acc to me for the first two reads. I would do first to clarify basics n memories the concepts n not the figures or values or formulae which I would memorize in 2nd read. After that it all about repeating n consolidating in your brain.more you repeat the more you will remember. Also FA is kind of book that no matter how many times u read it,you will find something new.
this is very helpful i almost forgot about the three times reading thanx i appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kdm0101 (04-21-2012)



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Subject-Wise questions not random adrenaline rush USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 03-14-2016 10:53 PM
UW subject wise evavar USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 08-22-2011 11:58 AM
U WORLD random or subject wise ???? TAAOM USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 06-15-2011 06:08 PM
First read system wise? Rakshit USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 04-19-2011 10:03 PM
System-wise syllabus hope007 USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 02-22-2011 09:15 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)