How to best approach Kaplan Lecture Notes? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 20
Threads: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Kaplan Medical How to best approach Kaplan Lecture Notes?

Hey all,

I just started with prep for step1 20days back 8hrs/day. I m aiming for 240+
I am following Kaplan notes/lectures. planning to give the exam in Nov. Please help me out with the following.

What is the best way to approach the Kaplan notes/videos? how much time should i spend on the notes? (My basics are not too strong)

I'll also be thankful for any other tips/advice!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 04-22-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 65
Threads: 15
Thanked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Reputation: 73
Default

How is your pace so far?

For me it's taking a month or maybe more just to watch the videos and then read the notes once per subject.

Definitely a lot slower than I had anticipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-22-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 73
Threads: 12
Thanked 83 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 93
Send a message via Skype™ to jjsanchezramirez
Default

It's taking me around 2mo to watch all the videos and read the books, but it's because I'm also in classes. Since I obviously don't have too much spare time at the moment, I found a particularly good way to study and save time:

Instead of reading the book first and then watching the video, try reading the book while you're watching the video, making pauses as you need along the way.

Not only will you know what to highlight, you'll also be able to read at a much, much faster pace, and you won't have to spend countless minutes and hours trying to understand tables and charts, because the videos will help you with that.

Of course, this is only my first reading, so I'm taking it easy. Things will get more fast-paced after July.

Also, and I'm not trying to advertise anything here, try www.cramfighter.com. They released a web app a couple of days ago that makes you a very detailed study guide for the USMLE. Today, for example, I still need to read 10 pages. It's like 7 USD per month, but in my opinion it's totally worth it. You can also get the iPhone app and make a one time purchase.

Last edited by jjsanchezramirez; 04-22-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Add more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sona14 (04-24-2012), tootsie (04-22-2012)
  #4  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 28
Threads: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

hi all... Cud i know if so much time dedication and hard work is really required for KLNs as to take a big chunk of time for prep?? Yes, my basics are also not so strong esp in micro, bioche n pharma... What is the basic aim of KLN- just understanding the high yield concepts without memorization?? One more question, is it advisable to do Qbank/Qbooks along with first KLN read just because it might help to better grasp the concepts with exam orientation? Kindly clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,879 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshurbuoy View Post
One more question, is it advisable to do Qbank/Qbooks along with first KLN read just because it might help to better grasp the concepts with exam orientation?
Yes. I think starting questions early on during your prep is better. This will help you know how to read, also have a look here
When to start Qbanks

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
koshurbuoy (04-23-2012), tootsie (04-23-2012), tyagee (11-25-2012)
  #6  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 183
Threads: 43
Thanked 183 Times in 51 Posts
Reputation: 193
Send a message via Skype™ to drdhruv
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sona14 View Post
Hey all,

I just started with prep for step1 20days back 8hrs/day. I m aiming for 240+
I am following Kaplan notes/lectures. planning to give the exam in Nov. Please help me out with the following.

What is the best way to approach the Kaplan notes/videos? how much time should i spend on the notes? (My basics are not too strong)

I'll also be thankful for any other tips/advice!

Thanks!
Hi there! well, Although I myself have not taken the test yet. But I find that our situation is a little bit similar. Like, when I first started studying for Step 1, my basics were zero! Literally, Zero! bcoz I studied in china and here the studies are not so good. But after doing Kaplan I feel I am a doctor and have learnt a lot.
well, if you really don't know anything, and starting from Scrap, I think you should first do the videos quickly. I would suggest start from physiology ( Dr Fischer), coz he's the guy which might map you like medicine and keep you easy and calm. Or the BESTEST is to go for BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE as for the teacher as well as the subject both are MIND BLOWING!! is and then you can go over any subject as you like, although I prefer Physio- anat_physio-patho-pharmac. then biochem and molecular.
For Patho, read the Dr Goljan's notes first and then listen to his audio.

I also plan to take step 1 in august or sep. Lets see... Good luck and do share your preparation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sona14 (04-24-2012)
  #7  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default HI,I plan to start also step one,like you..i dont know how to start ..which lesson or lecture?thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sona14 View Post
Hey all,

I just started with prep for step1 20days back 8hrs/day. I m aiming for 240+
I am following Kaplan notes/lectures. planning to give the exam in Nov. Please help me out with the following.

What is the best way to approach the Kaplan notes/videos? how much time should i spend on the notes? (My basics are not too strong)

I'll also be thankful for any other tips/advice!

Thanks!
HELLO, WHICH LECTURE do you think study first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 28
Threads: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
.... also have a look here
When to start Qbanks

-
This one is a great advice by panama04 imo:

''Probably, your read a simple question book in the beginning then move on the serious qbanks later on during your prep.''

and it also relates to the current stats from poll that qbanks like UW be subscribed when the material is covered once..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sona14 (04-24-2012)
  #9  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 73
Threads: 12
Thanked 83 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 93
Send a message via Skype™ to jjsanchezramirez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babak View Post
HELLO, WHICH LECTURE do you think study first?
Doing a single lecture in a single reading is pretty heavy. I beg you to consider doing it by organ systems. For example, if you're studying neurology, you can first start with anatomy, then do biochemistry, then do physiology, then pharmacology, and finally pathology. In any case, you probable want to do a logical order, kind of like anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, and pathology. Behavioral sciences is pretty much on its own and microbiology you need to review before doing certain sections of pharmacology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsanchezramirez View Post
It's taking me around 2mo to watch all the videos and read the books, but it's because I'm also in classes. Since I obviously don't have too much spare time at the moment, I found a particularly good way to study and save time:

Instead of reading the book first and then watching the video, try reading the book while you're watching the video, making pauses as you need along the way.

Not only will you know what to highlight, you'll also be able to read at a much, much faster pace, and you won't have to spend countless minutes and hours trying to understand tables and charts, because the videos will help you with that.

Of course, this is only my first reading, so I'm taking it easy. Things will get more fast-paced after July.

Also, and I'm not trying to advertise anything here, try www.cramfighter.com. They released a web app a couple of days ago that makes you a very detailed study guide for the USMLE. Today, for example, I still need to read 10 pages. It's like 7 USD per month, but in my opinion it's totally worth it. You can also get the iPhone app and make a one time purchase.
The cramfighter is realy a brilliant invent,but i tried to sign in to it but couldnt.How does it realy work and how can i get started?thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sona14 View Post
Hey all,

I just started with prep for step1 20days back 8hrs/day. I m aiming for 240+
I am following Kaplan notes/lectures. planning to give the exam in Nov. Please help me out with the following.

What is the best way to approach the Kaplan notes/videos? how much time should i spend on the notes? (My basics are not too strong)

I'll also be thankful for any other tips/advice!

Thanks!
Hello,we started almost same time and pretty much same goal score set(240)God's help it will materialize.I started with Anatomy and i hope to finish it by this month end,then i move to physio.So far its progressing.We could arrange a study together if u want,cos i plan to give it ariound year ending too.

Last edited by michelle14; 04-23-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: mistype
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 65
Threads: 15
Thanked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Reputation: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle14 View Post
Hello,we started almost same time and pretty much same goal score set(240)God's help it will materialize.I started with Anatomy and i hope to finish it by this month end,then i move to physio.So far its progressing.We could arrange a study together if u want,cos i plan to give it ariound year ending too.

I'm in the same boat as you as well kinda, plan to give by years end or maybe a slight delay.
I've finished anatomy and physio and am just starting biochem, but I'm not putting in enough time so you will eventually catch upto me unless I get my ass into gear.

Having trouble staying motivated to put in long hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 04-24-2012
Ali_kuchulu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Step 1 study

I have just started studying for step 1 a few days ago, and caz I have not strong base (like some others) and I graduated almost long time ago, this is my question too.
I've read articles in this site and some other sites. The answers are not similar and advices are different due to differrent experiences. Over all I think if I study for step 1 in a similar way I studied (and learned) medicine in my medical university, it will be more effective. In our country we start learning medicine by anatomy and biochemistry as major courses for the first semester. Then physiology and microbiology for second semester and the other courses for next semesters. Although there are some other minor courses in each semester and we didnt restrict our studying to these courses only.
By the way, I think anatomy as "the map of body" is the most important part of *the knowledge of every physician, and physiology as "the normal function of body" is the second important part of physician's knowledge. Besides some other parts like biochemistry are important to better understanding. When a medicine learner understands *what the body "is", and what the body "works", then (s)he can start understand what are "problems" of this body, and so can start microbiology, pathology, immunology and so on. And when (s)he understands problems, goes to find out the treatment: pharmacology and maybe behavioral science.
If we notice the structure of KLN lecture notes, we easily find out it's almost impossible to study one lecture without refferring to another. For example you can not study anatomy without refferring to physiology, pathology or even pharmacology. So study for step 1 can not be done in a pure simple way. We have to study some articles in parallel. For example anatmy with physiology, and reffer to microbiology or pathology if needed.*
So in my way, I started with anatomy and physiology, and I reffer to relevant article in each vague point during my study progress. Enyway we all khow something about medicine don't we?
__________________
If there is a will, then there is a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 04-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 20
Threads: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMD View Post
How is your pace so far?

For me it's taking a month or maybe more just to watch the videos and then read the notes once per subject.

Definitely a lot slower than I had anticipated.

I m managing 20days for a subject but i dont seem to remember or be able to solve questions!
:-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 04-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 20
Threads: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsanchezramirez View Post
It's taking me around 2mo to watch all the videos and read the books, but it's because I'm also in classes. Since I obviously don't have too much spare time at the moment, I found a particularly good way to study and save time:

Instead of reading the book first and then watching the video, try reading the book while you're watching the video, making pauses as you need along the way.

Not only will you know what to highlight, you'll also be able to read at a much, much faster pace, and you won't have to spend countless minutes and hours trying to understand tables and charts, because the videos will help you with that.

Of course, this is only my first reading, so I'm taking it easy. Things will get more fast-paced after July.

Also, and I'm not trying to advertise anything here, try www.cramfighter.com. They released a web app a couple of days ago that makes you a very detailed study guide for the USMLE. Today, for example, I still need to read 10 pages. It's like 7 USD per month, but in my opinion it's totally worth it. You can also get the iPhone app and make a one time purchase.



Thanks for the advice! reading along with videos is definately helping save time! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 04-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 20
Threads: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle14 View Post
Hello,we started almost same time and pretty much same goal score set(240)God's help it will materialize.I started with Anatomy and i hope to finish it by this month end,then i move to physio.So far its progressing.We could arrange a study together if u want,cos i plan to give it ariound year ending too.
hey yes sure! we can plan studying together!
can you PM me your email?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 04-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_kuchulu View Post
I have just started studying for step 1 a few days ago, and caz I have not strong base (like some others) and I graduated almost long time ago, this is my question too.
I've read articles in this site and some other sites. The answers are not similar and advices are different due to differrent experiences. Over all I think if I study for step 1 in a similar way I studied (and learned) medicine in my medical university, it will be more effective. In our country we start learning medicine by anatomy and biochemistry as major courses for the first semester. Then physiology and microbiology for second semester and the other courses for next semesters. Although there are some other minor courses in each semester and we didnt restrict our studying to these courses only.
By the way, I think anatomy as "the map of body" is the most important part of *the knowledge of every physician, and physiology as "the normal function of body" is the second important part of physician's knowledge. Besides some other parts like biochemistry are important to better understanding. When a medicine learner understands *what the body "is", and what the body "works", then (s)he can start understand what are "problems" of this body, and so can start microbiology, pathology, immunology and so on. And when (s)he understands problems, goes to find out the treatment: pharmacology and maybe behavioral science.
If we notice the structure of KLN lecture notes, we easily find out it's almost impossible to study one lecture without refferring to another. For example you can not study anatomy without refferring to physiology, pathology or even pharmacology. So study for step 1 can not be done in a pure simple way. We have to study some articles in parallel. For example anatmy with physiology, and reffer to microbiology or pathology if needed.*
So in my way, I started with anatomy and physiology, and I reffer to relevant article in each vague point during my study progress. Enyway we all khow something about medicine don't we?
You've got a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 04-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sona14 View Post
I m managing 20days for a subject but i dont seem to remember or be able to solve questions!
:-(
I seem to have same issue...what can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 04-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sona14 View Post
Hey all,

I just started with prep for step1 20days back 8hrs/day. I m aiming for 240+
I am following Kaplan notes/lectures. planning to give the exam in Nov. Please help me out with the following.

What is the best way to approach the Kaplan notes/videos? how much time should i spend on the notes? (My basics are not too strong)

I'll also be thankful for any other tips/advice!

Thanks!
You could follow zumzum's study pattern.Its on usmle thread(home page).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sona14 (05-06-2012)
  #20  
Old 04-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 65
Threads: 15
Thanked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Reputation: 73
Default

It's taking me like 2 weeks to watch the videos then 2 weeks to read the book, PAAAAINFULLY slow. Then I add on another week doing Qbank haha.

The videos take me real long because I end up making too many notes and in 4 hours I only get 1.5 hours of video covered. As for reading I am the slowest reader in the world so some days I only get 10 pages done.

I am doing okay on kaplan Qbank though, scoring 70-75%, but that's only in physio and anatomy so far, I'll probably get crushed with the harder subjects. Biochem is up next and I don't have the slightest bit of knowledge in the topic so it's going to be a rough month coming up haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 04-24-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMD View Post
It's taking me like 2 weeks to watch the videos then 2 weeks to read the book, PAAAAINFULLY slow. Then I add on another week doing Qbank haha.

The videos take me real long because I end up making too many notes and in 4 hours I only get 1.5 hours of video covered. As for reading I am the slowest reader in the world so some days I only get 10 pages done.

I am doing okay on kaplan Qbank though, scoring 70-75%, but that's only in physio and anatomy so far, I'll probably get crushed with the harder subjects. Biochem is up next and I don't have the slightest bit of knowledge in the topic so it's going to be a rough month coming up haha.
I would say we almost move at same pace,cos it took me abt 2 weeks to read thru anatomy notes then its taking me another 2 weeks to combine it with d videos.then after that am still going to go thru the FA and transfer my info from note to FA,read it all over again and then do Qbook on anatomy qstns.So all together it might take like 5-6 weeks just for anatomy.I feel this is pains takingly too long,but i dont know how else to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 05-05-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 106
Threads: 10
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

hi everyone, i think even i am on the same boat, i am half way through my course, well what i think is

1)fastest way to complete notes is just to read it(avg20pg/day), and to complete videos is to simply watch it, by this i mean that if u do both together it would take more time.

2) and on an average a person can complete a subject in 2-3 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 05-23-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

hey guys..m n d same boat..
i have jus completed physio videos and notes..really scared abt my rate of studyin!!
i think v shud like make a plan n stik to it and motivate each other so that v all finish the exam by nov!!?
watsay guys??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Kaplan-Medical, USMLE-Books

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to get Kaplan Lecture Notes? Dr.s.y. USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 09-20-2014 11:58 AM
Kaplan Lecture Notes versus Kaplan Home Study Program StepTaker USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 10-02-2013 12:35 AM
Kaplan Step 2 Ck Lecture Notes 2011-12 Latest Edition (Kaplan CK) for sale Joyce For Sale & Wanted Items 4 03-17-2012 07:34 AM
Kaplan 2010 or Kaplan 2011 Lecture Notes dr.aisha USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 03-13-2012 12:44 PM
is kaplan lecture notes a must Bibi USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 08-09-2011 08:11 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)