Dont' be fooled, FA is not enough - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-02-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 59
Threads: 11
Thanked 33 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 43
Warning! Dont' be fooled, FA is not enough

Just took my test yesterday
here is my advise :
DON'T LET ANYONE FOOL U ... FA Isn't ENOUGH for everybody..
if it was enough for some people this just means either they got lucky or their foundation is awesome ..
my exam was TOUGH .. I had about 5+ WTF questions/block ..
my exam was basically a BEHAVIORAL + Micro + MARFAN syndrome exam with some questions from here and there !!
I had at least 7 q/b physician patient relationship ,,
I had maybe only 8 or 9 biostat question NON WAS DIRECT i swear !!
anyways like i read in a previous thread the term academically raped would be a fit..

BOTTOM line don't RELAY on FA SOLELY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
5hstar (06-07-2012), david khan (06-05-2012), DocSikorski (05-02-2012), Fereshteh (05-04-2012), koolkiller88 (09-10-2012), mam86 (06-07-2012), Meed86 (05-02-2012), oksana (09-11-2012), Rookie (05-02-2012), Teresa (05-02-2012), tootsie (05-02-2012), valuemd (09-09-2012), venky2600 (09-07-2012), wuzzy (08-17-2012), YoramFishke (05-02-2012)



  #2  
Old 05-02-2012
Rookie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 394
Threads: 40
Thanked 218 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaher View Post
my exam was TOUGH .. i had abt 5+ WTF questions/block
This is the common reaction I have come across many test takers after the test.. I don't know that's the way it is, to have 5 odd freaking questions per block.. Though it's all subjective and I haven't taken exam, I cant say more..

Just keep aside your feelings about test and hope for the better.. Good luck !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
david khan (06-05-2012)
  #3  
Old 05-02-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 16
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

ok. ..now you have scared me. i am concentrating on FA+DIT+UW
please share your prep materials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 05-02-2012
YoramFishke's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 248
Threads: 11
Thanked 311 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 341
Default

Yes. Definitely, First Aid is not enough
Please go vote here
Is memorizing First Aid enough to ace Step I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-02-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 647 Times in 409 Posts
Reputation: 657
Default

so what suggestions can you give us?
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-02-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

What's your suggestion for micro?
Since its one of my weakest and you said you had a lot of micro questions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-02-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 113
Threads: 14
Thanked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

Hi..Even i do agree FA is not enough..and it depends on ur luck on the day of ur exam...!
I had taken mine on dec 21, it was pretty bad..lot of unknown graphs and experimental questions and tough stats ques..and failed wit a 183 score..
Studied again and gave again on Apr 19,,this time i was shocked to see all easy questions all straight forward..not much unknown questions..expecting results next week..
So it all depends on ur understanding of concepts and another big factor is luck on that day...All the best to everybody preparing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
david khan (06-05-2012)
  #8  
Old 05-03-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukar View Post
What's your suggestion for micro?
Since its one of my weakest and you said you had a lot of micro questions...
What have you done for micro so far? CMMRS (not my personal fav)...I did like the micro section of the Lange book but I agree that it is overkill for the exam. You can also try the flashcards and memorize them. Not much on USMLE is memorization, but micro kind-of is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-05-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 36
Threads: 10
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoramFishke View Post
Yes. Definitely, First Aid is not enough
Please go vote here
Is memorizing First Aid enough to ace Step I?
not at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-05-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 59
Threads: 11
Thanked 33 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default

ok so i just saw all these replies.
i admit to making maybe a biased judgement with all the anger and frustration after the exam , i received my score 2.5 wks ago i got 228 not bad after thinking i actually failed after the exam
dont get me wrong i still think this book isnt 100 Percent sufficient but atleast it proved it can get you to the safe side.
and actually micro is the only subject i can confidently say FA was ENOUGH in it
goodluck future takers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (06-05-2012), dockhi (06-05-2012), imgchuchu (06-05-2012), mikemike (09-09-2012), Renaissance (06-06-2012), tootsie (06-06-2012), venky2600 (09-07-2012)
  #11  
Old 06-05-2012
imgchuchu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 218
Threads: 4
Thanked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Reputation: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaher View Post
ok so i just saw all these replies.
i admit to making maybe a biased judgement with all the anger and frustration after the exam , i received my score 2.5 wks ago i got 228 not bad after thinking i actually failed after the exam
dont get me wrong i still think this book isnt 100 Percent sufficient but atleast it proved it can get you to the safe side.
and actually micro is the only subject i can confidently say FA was ENOUGH in it
goodluck future takers
congratulation
did you do only fa & qbanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-05-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 307
Threads: 36
Thanked 127 Times in 61 Posts
Reputation: 137
Default

Hey did you do Kaplan, and other Qbank? How long did you study for? Good score by the way!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaher View Post
ok so i just saw all these replies.
i admit to making maybe a biased judgement with all the anger and frustration after the exam , i received my score 2.5 wks ago i got 228 not bad after thinking i actually failed after the exam
dont get me wrong i still think this book isnt 100 Percent sufficient but atleast it proved it can get you to the safe side.
and actually micro is the only subject i can confidently say FA was ENOUGH in it
goodluck future takers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 06-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 59
Threads: 11
Thanked 33 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default

My prep was all over the place I started nov 2011 untill the first days of jan then stopped (foundout I was pregnant was shocked then morning sick then just overjoyed and doing 95% baby prep and 5% USMLE prep) . Resumed studying July 2011 then had my baby sept . Then resumed my studies nov untill the last day of April 2012 in total I studied continuously for 9 months and the rest was mommy to be and mommy time .
I used kaplan videos and books 2 rounds on the books , goljan only for hematogy but starring jan 2012 my only souce was annotated fa and uw so basically i ented the exam with only these in my head the rest had evaporated by may 1st my test day . I finished uw twice and my 1st round was 65% I took nbme 12 7 13 and 11( this one 3 days before my test) scored 238 -- 10 points higher than my score .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (06-07-2012), david khan (06-06-2012), dockhi (06-07-2012), gayathri (06-07-2012), tootsie (06-06-2012)
  #14  
Old 06-06-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

Well congratulations, I bet it must have been quite difficult to prepare for boards while being pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 06-06-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 39
Threads: 16
Thanked 23 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 33
Default

Hi! I totally agree with it, started making Q-bank after reading FA two times and realized that I couldn't answer a lot of questions even being 2011 graduate.
Kaplan med essential is great.
Everybody is talking about NMBE test, can anybody please give me an link to the test and how much does it cost?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
david khan (06-06-2012)



  #16  
Old 06-07-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 675
Threads: 84
Thanked 428 Times in 207 Posts
Reputation: 438
Default

I have a mini-heart attack every time this thread shows up on my screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Drbooda (06-07-2012), keyur (09-10-2012), sukar (06-07-2012)
  #17  
Old 06-07-2012
numbndumb's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 529
Threads: 57
Thanked 284 Times in 152 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance View Post
I have a mini-heart attack every time this thread shows up on my screen.
hahaha, same here!
__________________
I've become so numb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 06-07-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 59
Threads: 11
Thanked 33 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default

Looooool apologies I was trying to be honest that was my test maybe urs us better and bytheway the subjects I complained about (behavioral) I ended up getting a higher performance star in soo u really never know ...cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Drbooda (06-07-2012)
  #19  
Old 06-07-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 166
Threads: 55
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default

at my last 2weeks before the exam.. I think I need some lies
I believe its enough and will get me to 300+
HAHA XD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 09-07-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

no way this can be true. fa by itself without a qbank or without studying kaplan or dit may not be enough. thats a given. but first aid with a question bank is more than enough dude. ive heard from so many people where they say fa helped them out. i think simply put, uworld is used to understand questions and depth of questions, and first aid is a quick way to memorize quick facts and help with your recall, which will ultimately help you solve deep concepts like uworld. fa with uworld = deadly combo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 09-09-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Hi everyone

Yes! Samaher is right! He told you guy the truth.

I took my exam last couple week. My exam was really tough. I had no idea How I did...Everyone is different. If you are lucky, you will meet alot of easy questions on the exam.

Ok! Here is my experiences

Pharm: Some questions were very straight forward. They loved to ask mechanism, interaction and side effects. You should know it inside out. But some other questions were very tough. They give you some graphs and asked somethings on it. We don't have time to eliminate the choices accurately because the questions were very indirect and need deep understanding to answer the questions.

Pathophysio: Alot of up and down arrow questions, GI, heart questions; I had two question on cardiac murmur. YOu should know and recognizes all the murmur very well to get the right answer. Alot of pictures looks very general, but they give you answer choices very vague. It was hard to pick up the best answers. Pathophysio questions were quite tough.

Genetics: I had 1 pedigree question diagram. It was not covered in first aids and had no clues about it. The ans choice are all molecular levels very deeply. Some questions are 2.5 degree level of difficulty. Man, it was terrible...However, one or two questions are straight forward; you can do it.

Biochem: My exam did not have much biochem. I had a few questions on glycogen disease, galactosemia, fructouria, etc. A few questions were molecular level applications. I had no idea how I did. It was not easy at all

Micro: 50% are straight forward, 50% questions are tough. However, you can do it. It is not so bad.

Physio: cardio, Gi, lungs are the major targets on my exam. Some endocrines and reproductive systems. It was moderate level of difficulty.

Neuro: stroke questions, MRI, CT Scan pictures...I had three questions on MRI and CT scan...It was tough to recognize which areas of the brain were a correct ans from the pictures because the pictures were twisted upside down and from the bottom to the top...I just made a guess then move on.

Anatomy: some questions are easy, but still a few question they asked very specific area on spinal cord and its details. In general, it was not easy at all.

Behave & stat: behav questions (dr-pt relationship), stat (know all defitions and applications of bias). Stat questions were quite killer...I had no idea how to ans for it. Behavior questions are ok; you can do it.

In general of exam: It was quite difficult. I had no time to check the answered choices; I marked average 12-15 questions on each block to see again, but had no time for it. The most challenge things is TIME !!! You don't have time to think thoroughly.

There were 5/7 blocks (difficult); only 2 blocks were ok with a few questions that I marked.

Don't ever thing that everyone is the same format, same levels, same questions. Everyone is different. Your friend is lucky enough therefore, he/she feel it ok. But it doesn't mean that you are also lucky like he/she.
I don't want to scare you guy. I just want to tell you the truth.

Ok! The best thing is: prepare well + keep praying everyday/every night to God + help others to pass exam.

My feeling after exam was terrible. I felt my two legs very heavy and talked to myself. MD is over!

A few day later after exam, the feeling was little by little back to normal. Most people had a feeling fail after leaving the room. Hopefully, I am ok.

Good luck to you and with the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 09-09-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemd View Post
Hi everyone

Yes! Samaher is right! He told you guy the truth.

I took my exam last couple week. My exam was really tough. I had no idea How I did...Everyone is different. If you are lucky, you will meet alot of easy questions on the exam.

Ok! Here is my experiences

Pharm: Some questions were very straight forward. They loved to ask mechanism, interaction and side effects. You should know it inside out. But some other questions were very tough. They give you some graphs and asked somethings on it. We don't have time to eliminate the choices accurately because the questions were very indirect and need deep understanding to answer the questions.

Pathophysio: Alot of up and down arrow questions, GI, heart questions; I had two question on cardiac murmur. YOu should know and recognizes all the murmur very well to get the right answer. Alot of pictures looks very general, but they give you answer choices very vague. It was hard to pick up the best answers. Pathophysio questions were quite tough.

Genetics: I had 1 pedigree question diagram. It was not covered in first aids and had no clues about it. The ans choice are all molecular levels very deeply. Some questions are 2.5 degree level of difficulty. Man, it was terrible...However, one or two questions are straight forward; you can do it.

Biochem: My exam did not have much biochem. I had a few questions on glycogen disease, galactosemia, fructouria, etc. A few questions were molecular level applications. I had no idea how I did. It was not easy at all

Micro: 50% are straight forward, 50% questions are tough. However, you can do it. It is not so bad.

Physio: cardio, Gi, lungs are the major targets on my exam. Some endocrines and reproductive systems. It was moderate level of difficulty.

Neuro: stroke questions, MRI, CT Scan pictures...I had three questions on MRI and CT scan...It was tough to recognize which areas of the brain were a correct ans from the pictures because the pictures were twisted upside down and from the bottom to the top...I just made a guess then move on.

Anatomy: some questions are easy, but still a few question they asked very specific area on spinal cord and its details. In general, it was not easy at all.

Behave & stat: behav questions (dr-pt relationship), stat (know all defitions and applications of bias). Stat questions were quite killer...I had no idea how to ans for it. Behavior questions are ok; you can do it.

In general of exam: It was quite difficult. I had no time to check the answered choices; I marked average 12-15 questions on each block to see again, but had no time for it. The most challenge things is TIME !!! You don't have time to think thoroughly.

There were 5/7 blocks (difficult); only 2 blocks were ok with a few questions that I marked.

Don't ever thing that everyone is the same format, same levels, same questions. Everyone is different. Your friend is lucky enough therefore, he/she feel it ok. But it doesn't mean that you are also lucky like he/she.
I don't want to scare you guy. I just want to tell you the truth.

Ok! The best thing is: prepare well + keep praying everyday/every night to God + help others to pass exam.

My feeling after exam was terrible. I felt my two legs very heavy and talked to myself. MD is over!

A few day later after exam, the feeling was little by little back to normal. Most people had a feeling fail after leaving the room. Hopefully, I am ok.

Good luck to you and with the best
No doubt I believe you guys. I know first aid by itself isn't enough but what about after doing usmle world? I mean, even after doing usmle world you guys feel like its not good enough for the exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 09-09-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemd View Post
Hi everyone

Yes! Samaher is right! He told you guy the truth.

I took my exam last couple week. My exam was really tough. I had no idea How I did...Everyone is different. If you are lucky, you will meet alot of easy questions on the exam.

Ok! Here is my experiences

Pharm: Some questions were very straight forward. They loved to ask mechanism, interaction and side effects. You should know it inside out. But some other questions were very tough. They give you some graphs and asked somethings on it. We don't have time to eliminate the choices accurately because the questions were very indirect and need deep understanding to answer the questions.

Pathophysio: Alot of up and down arrow questions, GI, heart questions; I had two question on cardiac murmur. YOu should know and recognizes all the murmur very well to get the right answer. Alot of pictures looks very general, but they give you answer choices very vague. It was hard to pick up the best answers. Pathophysio questions were quite tough.

Genetics: I had 1 pedigree question diagram. It was not covered in first aids and had no clues about it. The ans choice are all molecular levels very deeply. Some questions are 2.5 degree level of difficulty. Man, it was terrible...However, one or two questions are straight forward; you can do it.

Biochem: My exam did not have much biochem. I had a few questions on glycogen disease, galactosemia, fructouria, etc. A few questions were molecular level applications. I had no idea how I did. It was not easy at all

Micro: 50% are straight forward, 50% questions are tough. However, you can do it. It is not so bad.

Physio: cardio, Gi, lungs are the major targets on my exam. Some endocrines and reproductive systems. It was moderate level of difficulty.

Neuro: stroke questions, MRI, CT Scan pictures...I had three questions on MRI and CT scan...It was tough to recognize which areas of the brain were a correct ans from the pictures because the pictures were twisted upside down and from the bottom to the top...I just made a guess then move on.

Anatomy: some questions are easy, but still a few question they asked very specific area on spinal cord and its details. In general, it was not easy at all.

Behave & stat: behav questions (dr-pt relationship), stat (know all defitions and applications of bias). Stat questions were quite killer...I had no idea how to ans for it. Behavior questions are ok; you can do it.

In general of exam: It was quite difficult. I had no time to check the answered choices; I marked average 12-15 questions on each block to see again, but had no time for it. The most challenge things is TIME !!! You don't have time to think thoroughly.

There were 5/7 blocks (difficult); only 2 blocks were ok with a few questions that I marked.

Don't ever thing that everyone is the same format, same levels, same questions. Everyone is different. Your friend is lucky enough therefore, he/she feel it ok. But it doesn't mean that you are also lucky like he/she.
I don't want to scare you guy. I just want to tell you the truth.

Ok! The best thing is: prepare well + keep praying everyday/every night to God + help others to pass exam.

My feeling after exam was terrible. I felt my two legs very heavy and talked to myself. MD is over!

A few day later after exam, the feeling was little by little back to normal. Most people had a feeling fail after leaving the room. Hopefully, I am ok.

Good luck to you and with the best
Did you do USMLE World valuemd? along with first aid? Or did you just do first aid by itself with no qbank, or another qbank like kaplans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 09-09-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaher View Post
My prep was all over the place I started nov 2011 untill the first days of jan then stopped (foundout I was pregnant was shocked then morning sick then just overjoyed and doing 95% baby prep and 5% USMLE prep) . Resumed studying July 2011 then had my baby sept . Then resumed my studies nov untill the last day of April 2012 in total I studied continuously for 9 months and the rest was mommy to be and mommy time .
I used kaplan videos and books 2 rounds on the books , goljan only for hematogy but starring jan 2012 my only souce was annotated fa and uw so basically i ented the exam with only these in my head the rest had evaporated by may 1st my test day . I finished uw twice and my 1st round was 65% I took nbme 12 7 13 and 11( this one 3 days before my test) scored 238 -- 10 points higher than my score .

When you did uworld, did you read all of the explanations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 09-10-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 44
Threads: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

yes this is so true .. FA is not enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 09-10-2012
koolkiller88's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 864
Threads: 62
Thanked 374 Times in 225 Posts
Reputation: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaher View Post
Just took my test yesterday
here is my advise :
DON'T LET ANYONE FOOL U ... FA Isn't ENOUGH for everybody..
if it was enough for some people this just means either they got lucky or their foundation is awesome ..
my exam was TOUGH .. I had about 5+ WTF questions/block ..
my exam was basically a BEHAVIORAL + Micro + MARFAN syndrome exam with some questions from here and there !!
I had at least 7 q/b physician patient relationship ,,
I had maybe only 8 or 9 biostat question NON WAS DIRECT i swear !!
anyways like i read in a previous thread the term academically raped would be a fit..

BOTTOM line don't RELAY on FA SOLELY!!!
Don't know about real exam but right now i am going through UW and FA have only 30-40% of UW. There are lot of questions which need more information then what given in FA.
__________________
One day i will infect these microbes and they will search for "Anti-MEbiotic"....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mikemike (09-10-2012)
  #27  
Old 09-10-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Yes! I did UW, kaplan Qbank + FA + alot of other sources, but focused on FA + UW + Kaplan materials...but still not good enough.

I heard some rumors that hard questions have much more point you get if you pick correct ans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mikemike (09-10-2012)
  #28  
Old 09-10-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 338
Threads: 54
Thanked 139 Times in 92 Posts
Reputation: 149
Default

I don't like threads like this...

1. For some people FA can be enough if they have a decent background. If I'd give FA to my best friend (he is a teacher) to start studying for Step1 he would fail, because he lacks all the background

2. Just watch Kaplan Videos and do massive amount of questions and put annotations in your FA. For example: Glyogen storage diseases in FA there's Anderson and Hers missing, but the Kaplan videos tell you about them, so you should add the information into your book.
Same for Lysosomal Disorders: FA has all of them and Kaplan lacks a couple.
In my opinion it is better to stick to a few sources instead of 5-6 large giant books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mikemike (09-10-2012)
  #29  
Old 09-10-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

I understand that first aid by itself is not enough for the exam. But Uworld is more difficult than first aid and it seems as if atleast more than 85 percent of Uworld answers can be found using the information in first aid(for example it will be two facts on a line that you will have to know). The other 15 percent is stuff that requires clarification or the missing stuff. What I am doing is learning Uworld cold, and using first aid as a quick way to get through all the info quickly. First aid helps with recall questions and Uworld helps with both recall and twisted questions. Also having done kaplan or dit before doing uworld really helps because those notes come in handy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (09-10-2012)
  #30  
Old 09-11-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default correction to my last paragraph

But Uworld is more difficult than the actual exam*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 09-13-2012
Official Advertiser Representative
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 23
Threads: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to MedicalBoards
Default FA is not enough for Step 1 prep

We have been helping students pass Step 1 for the last 27 years. Long before FA was published, and all our students have been successful. The key to medicine and being a thorough physician is not being able to memorize FA but to understand, really understand, the basic sciences and then to be able to connect it all together. The ultimate test to see if you can connect it is obviously Step 1. They want to know if you can integrate the information and apply good judgement, comprehension and critical thinking to the questions. That is why the questions are written the way they are. Questions are not designed to trick you but to test if you can integrate. Students tell me all the time that they know FA so well - from cover to cover, they say: "Name the page and I can tell you what is on it, but yet I still failed Step 1, or my NBME scores are not reflective of what I know!" That is because USMLE does not want to know if you can regurgitate FA, they want to know if you can connect it together, (FA does not teach you this), if you can be a thoughtful and insightful physician who can make a good diagnosis from a difficult case. Good luck for your exams. If you would like more information about how to answer the questions correctly please email us: themedicalboardsgmail.com. With compliments, The Institute of Medical Boards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
step1success (09-13-2012)



Reply

Tags
First-Aid, Step-1-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what if we dont do goljan for patho sibb USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 06-25-2012 01:44 PM
i dont know how to start of with preparation khena USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 04-19-2012 10:16 AM
Dont Give up Amin Sabet USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 12-29-2011 01:53 PM
to all those who failed CS, dont get depressed drmeyer USMLE Links & Free Ads 0 08-17-2011 08:01 AM
Dont' use this in Ataxia Telangiectasia mayursn39 USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 07-04-2011 05:38 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)