is 250 a good score for an img?experience - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default is 250 a good score for an img?experience

can some 1 frankly tell me about my chances of residency ? do i have
possible ?
good? or
great chances of residency ..

my experience -[ATTACH]experience.docx[/ATTACH]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Bpositive (05-29-2016), D-Ray (05-26-2016), docmfn (05-27-2016), Eshanjoly (05-27-2016), Hopefuldoc (05-19-2016), Jehn (05-29-2016), khateija27 (05-26-2016), netters (05-20-2016), shiva.manohar (05-19-2016), thelostsoul (05-19-2016)



  #2  
Old 05-19-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 50
Threads: 12
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Hi
1st : thanks for ur very detailed and HELPFUL experience
2nd : ur score is awesome and I think u have great chance for residency
Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmle bro (05-19-2016)
  #3  
Old 05-19-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

thank you so much . i ve been so confused for the past few days as my friends score were 255s . no one cared to reply except for u .thanx agian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 05-19-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefuldoc View Post
Hi
1st : thanks for ur very detailed and HELPFUL experience
2nd : ur score is awesome and I think u have great chance for residency
Thanks again
thank you so much .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-19-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default congratulations on your score

with a 250 score you are excellent congratulations thats an amazing score.
and thanks for sharing your experience, on questions i see that you improve a lot every week on your name´s did you focus on weaknesses reported by the exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-19-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavoavila504 View Post
with a 250 score you are excellent congratulations thats an amazing score.
and thanks for sharing your experience, on questions i see that you improve a lot every week on your name´s did you focus on weaknesses reported by the exam?
thank you . and yes . i empahasized on the my borderline performance topics as indicated in nbmes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-20-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 15
Threads: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle bro View Post
can some 1 frankly tell me about my chances of residency ? do i have
possible ?
good? or
great chances of residency ..

my experience -[ATTACH]Attachment 10689[/ATTACH]
Yes, 250 is actually a really good score, higher than the overall average for Step 1. You have a high chance of matching into a residency program, as long as the rest of your score/CV is up to par. I know a PD at a competitive Internal Medicine Residency who said that he seriously considers your application if you score 250 and above on Step 1. So definitely a great score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmle bro (05-20-2016)
  #8  
Old 05-20-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH94 View Post
Yes, 250 is actually a really good score, higher than the overall average for Step 1. You have a high chance of matching into a residency program, as long as the rest of your score/CV is up to par. I know a PD at a competitive Internal Medicine Residency who said that he seriously considers your application if you score 250 and above on Step 1. So definitely a great score.
thank you so much !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-25-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 32
Threads: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle bro View Post
can some 1 frankly tell me about my chances of residency ? do i have
possible ?
good? or
great chances of residency ..

my experience -[ATTACH]Attachment 10689[/ATTACH]

250 is great score. congrats friend. i have senior friends who are in chicago now doing observerships so chances of residency match will be greater look into that but your score is wonderful so good luck with whatever you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmle bro (05-26-2016)
  #10  
Old 05-26-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

what was the date of ur step 1 exam? heard that the pattern changed from the 10th of may 2016. has it become tuffer or easier?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 05-26-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle4strawberry View Post
what was the date of ur step 1 exam? heard that the pattern changed from the 10th of may 2016. has it become tuffer or easier?
TIA
mine was on aprl 27 th (older pattern ) . i heard it has become easier . ( more time with the same q length )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 05-27-2016
docmfn's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 95
Threads: 17
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle bro View Post
can some 1 frankly tell me about my chances of residency ? do i have
possible ?
good? or
great chances of residency ..

my experience -[ATTACH]Attachment 10689[/ATTACH]
hi .Congratulations.thnax for sharing experience. Quick question,is it ok to use uw as learning tool .i study from goljan n fa in morning like 2 hours n then do half BLOCK OF UW in evening .i need to gear up.how many hours should i read fa to finish 1st read in a week or so? i'm not using kaplan this time unless needed like biochem etc . i can dedicate 6 hours a day n want to give exam in 5 months .can u help me plan accordingly ?
__________________
WAKE SURVIVE SLEEP....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 05-27-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 15
Threads: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Interesting experience! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmle bro (05-27-2016)
  #14  
Old 05-27-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 68
Threads: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Thank for your experience

May I ask you how many months did you study and how many hours/day on average did you study ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 05-27-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmfn View Post
hi .Congratulations.thnax for sharing experience. Quick question,is it ok to use uw as learning tool .i study from goljan n fa in morning like 2 hours n then do half BLOCK OF UW in evening .i need to gear up.how many hours should i read fa to finish 1st read in a week or so? i'm not using kaplan this time unless needed like biochem etc . i can dedicate 6 hours a day n want to give exam in 5 months .can u help me plan accordingly ?
thankyou . and yes uw is a learning tool not for assesment . i dont know how fast u read ,but for me fa wud take around 15 to 20 days with 6hrs of daily study . what i feel is that u finish fa and uworld ( 1 block daily ) + golijan in parallel to fa ( dont read too much of this , only the systemic chapters would suffice , also u can leave out micro from systemic ) within first 2 months_make sure u annotate in fa ..... next 1 months revise the whole annotated fa and start doing nbmes . in the last 2 months gear up ur revision multiple times with timely nbmes . ur good to go .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 05-27-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujitsu View Post
Thank for your experience

May I ask you how many months did you study and how many hours/day on average did you study ?
around 6 to 7 months _8 hrs a day .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 05-27-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 8
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle bro View Post
can some 1 frankly tell me about my chances of residency ? do i have
possible ?
good? or
great chances of residency ..

my experience -[ATTACH]Attachment 10689[/ATTACH]
your score is very good
i think u hv great chance of residency
thanks foe the post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmle bro (05-28-2016)
  #18  
Old 05-28-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 68
Threads: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle bro View Post
around 6 to 7 months _8 hrs a day .
Cool , Thank you ! I am really gonna do a similar approach to you ... you inspired me.

First Aid + pathoma + Uworld. Hope things get well and I can get any score near to your great one.

I have some other questions ( sorry If I am asking too much)

1-How many times did you finish First Aid ?

2-How important is pathoma ? Does it add anything to pathology in first aid and Uworld ?

3-You wrote that you finished uworld once and if someone has other qbank must finish uworld twice. Did you have another Qbank or you just did uworld once ?

4-Did you do Uworld randomly or by subject ?

Last edited by Fujitsu; 05-28-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 05-28-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujitsu View Post
Cool , Thank you ! I am really gonna do a similar approach to you ... you inspired me.

First Aid + pathoma + Uworld. Hope things get well and I can get any score near to your great one.

I have some other questions ( sorry If I am asking too much)

1-How many times did you finish First Aid ?

2-How important is pathoma ? Does it add anything to pathology in first aid and Uworld ?

3-You wrote that you finished uworld once and if someone has other qbank must finish uworld twice. Did you have another Qbank or you just did uworld once ?

4-Did you do Uworld randomly or by subject ?
thank u , and no probs ,happy to answer any queries .
1 . i could do it only once . but i took notes while i was reading it and revised it at the end . doing it multiple times is highly recommended .

2. i cant say . i only flipped through some and i think its exactly enough . i did golijan mostly and it was very time consuming and unnecessary IMO.

3. yes ,and again i took notes from u world(dont take each and every minute point,annotate only the broad concepts .) . i did usmle rx -around 2 - 300 qs ,but i had to skip it as my time was running out . its better to do other q banks ONLY AT THE BEGINNING of ur study . during ur later part of prep ,better to stick with uworld .
4. i did subject wise . but i did FA after uworld . had i done FA thoroughly initially , i think random would have been better (good for revision and i could have just annotated in FA instead of taking so much notes that were already in first aid . )
all the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 05-28-2016
docmfn's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 95
Threads: 17
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 29
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle bro View Post
thankyou . and yes uw is a learning tool not for assesment . i dont know how fast u read ,but for me fa wud take around 15 to 20 days with 6hrs of daily study . what i feel is that u finish fa and uworld ( 1 block daily ) + golijan in parallel to fa ( dont read too much of this , only the systemic chapters would suffice , also u can leave out micro from systemic ) within first 2 months_make sure u annotate in fa ..... next 1 months revise the whole annotated fa and start doing nbmes . in the last 2 months gear up ur revision multiple times with timely nbmes . ur good to go .
Thanx a ton !!! sounds like a plan ...
__________________
WAKE SURVIVE SLEEP....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 05-29-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 40
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle bro View Post
can some 1 frankly tell me about my chances of residency ? do i have
possible ?
good? or
great chances of residency ..

my experience -[ATTACH]Attachment 10689[/ATTACH]
Hey!
Congrats on ur awesome score!!

I'm an IMG too with similar time frame.
I have a couple of questions to ask.

1) what book do u recommend for gross anatomy?
2) How did u divide ur timeline of 7 months?pre uworld and post uworld phase?
3)How early is it better to start UWORLD?

Thanku
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 05-29-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpositive View Post
Hey!
Congrats on ur awesome score!!

I'm an IMG too with similar time frame.
I have a couple of questions to ask.

1) what book do u recommend for gross anatomy?
2) How did u divide ur timeline of 7 months?pre uworld and post uworld phase?
3)How early is it better to start UWORLD?

Thanku
thank u
1. study first aid and uworld topics clearly , if time permits supplement very high yield topics from greys . most importantly know cts well .

2. my prep was all in chaos,took gaps here and there ,,but compiling the proper study time i wud say around 2 months of golijan and kaplan , 2 months of uworld and revision, last 2 months of FA + revision + NBMES .

3. after ur 1st read .

all the best .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Bpositive (05-31-2016)
  #23  
Old 05-29-2016
D-Ray's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 10
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle bro View Post
thank u
1. study first aid and uworld topics clearly , if time permits supplement very high yield topics from greys . most importantly know cts well .

2. my prep was all in chaos,took gaps here and there ,,but compiling the proper study time i wud say around 2 months of golijan and kaplan , 2 months of uworld and revision, last 2 months of FA + revision + NBMES .

3. after ur 1st read .

all the best .
CTs, or MRIs and X-rays too?
where did you study them from?
thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 05-29-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ray View Post
CTs, or MRIs and X-rays too?
where did you study them from?
thanks in advance
internet . mris arent so important , but cts and xrays are an essential part of the exam , check these out for the prime topics .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
D-Ray (05-29-2016)
  #25  
Old 05-31-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 40
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle bro View Post
internet . mris arent so important , but cts and xrays are an essential part of the exam , check these out for the prime topics .
Hey! thanks for the reply

Is there a list of the imaging pictures or s it looking up as the question pops up in uworld?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 05-31-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpositive View Post
Hey! thanks for the reply

Is there a list of the imaging pictures or s it looking up as the question pops up in uworld?
Check out the pics for important topics as whole from net and uw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a good step one score for an IMG? Volkmann USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 11-04-2014 05:46 AM
is 235 in step 1 a good score for IMG for paeds? ishu_jassal USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 10-19-2014 01:16 PM
Is 250 a good usmle step 1 score? Hypertension USMLE Step 1 Forum 23 02-14-2014 12:15 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)