Lunch you can take on the Exam day - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2012
Hope2Pass's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,684
Threads: 213
Thanked 1,597 Times in 660 Posts
Reputation: 1607
Smile Lunch you can take on the Exam day

Found an article. It might help for the day of the exam:

Didn't read the whole thing but got the message. Oats + Water + Bananas + a tuna/salmon fish sandwich for the day of the exam and you're good to go! May be a protein bar (not an ordinary granola bar).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the full article-

5 foods that give you INSTANT energy -

WATER
It doesn't come with any slick advertisements or cutesy cartoon characters to sell it, but plain old H2O is one of the quickest energy boosters out there. When kids become dehydrated, their energy plummets and their brain gets foggy, which makes it hard to concentrate.


OATMEAL
Grains have been getting a bad rap lately, but whole grains are still one of the best sources of energy we have-especially for little bodies that are still growing. The fiber and carbohydrates in oatmeal provide a long-lasting, consistent source of energy that can be dressed up in a million different ways.


EGGS
Everyone knows that protein builds strong muscles and helps keep you full, but I've yet to meet a young child who wants to sit down with a big steak and a bottle of horseradish. Thankfully, eggs are a clean and easy source of protein, and with as many different ways to cook them as there are kids, it's easy to keep them interesting.

BANANAS
Many kids are surprisingly potassium deficient-a problem that can manifest in a variety of ways, including lethargy and memory problems. This necessary nutrient, which is also found in dried apricots, figs, and plums, helps regulate the body's nervous and muscular systems.

FISH
Research shows a link between memory, test-taking skills and, gulp, eating fish for breakfast. While that's not typically pleasing to little palates, the benefits are huge. The omega 3 fatty acids found in fatty fish like wild salmon have been proven to reduce depression and hyperactivity and increase focus and concentration. In addition, all that high quality protein keeps kids' blood sugar (and therefore their moods) steady while keeping them full for hours.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/5-he...nlwYWdl;_ylv=3
(Yeah I know it says TEAM MOM...don't ask how I got to that page )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Alisom (05-23-2012), d_wiqed (05-23-2012), Dr. Mexito (05-26-2012), gayathri (05-23-2012), tulipa (05-23-2012)



  #2  
Old 05-23-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 644 Times in 408 Posts
Reputation: 654
Default

subway sub, protein shake, banana, energy drink, water bottle

is probably what ill take
what and when ill use them is yet to be determined.
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-24-2012
Hope2Pass's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,684
Threads: 213
Thanked 1,597 Times in 660 Posts
Reputation: 1607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NickRiviera View Post
subway sub, protein shake, banana, energy drink, water bottle

is probably what ill take
what and when ill use them is yet to be determined.

Sounds like a good meal plan.
Here's how you should break down your schedule for the breaks during your exam -

Block 1 - Block 2
- 15 min break (have a snack + water etc) -
Block 3
- 5 min break -
Block 4
- Lunch (30 mins - eat your lunch + water etc) -
Block 5
- 5 min break -
Block 6
- 5 min break -
Block 7
- FINISH!


That adds up to 1 hour of breaks (as long as you don't waste time watching the tutorial, just do that at home the day before!)

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr.NickRiviera (05-24-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 05-24-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 644 Times in 408 Posts
Reputation: 654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Pass View Post
Sounds like a good meal plan.
Here's how you should break down your schedule for the breaks during your exam -

Block 1 - Block 2
- 15 min break (have a snack + water etc) -
Block 3
- 5 min break -
Block 4
- Lunch (30 mins - eat your lunch + water etc) -
Block 5
- 5 min break -
Block 6
- 5 min break -
Block 7
- FINISH!


That adds up to 1 hour of breaks (as long as you don't waste time watching the tutorial, just do that at home the day before!)

Good luck.
so you're saying do the first 2 blocks straight, no break after the 1st block?
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-24-2012
Hope2Pass's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,684
Threads: 213
Thanked 1,597 Times in 660 Posts
Reputation: 1607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NickRiviera View Post
so you're saying do the first 2 blocks straight, no break after the 1st block?
Yup.

You just walked in for the exam, you're all pumped up, ready to take on the beast. You have enough adrenaline pumping that you can go first 2 blocks without a break. Then your fatigue factor kicks in before after 2 blocks and that's when you take a break to have a snack. After that do a block and have lunch. That way after lunch, you'll have 3 blocks to go, you'll be less stressed and more relieved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-24-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 644 Times in 408 Posts
Reputation: 654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Pass View Post
Yup.

You just walked in for the exam, you're all pumped up, ready to take on the beast. You have enough adrenaline pumping that you can go first 2 blocks without a break. Then your fatigue factor kicks in before after 2 blocks and that's when you take a break to have a snack. After that do a block and have lunch. That way after lunch, you'll have 3 blocks to go, you'll be less stressed and more relieved!
you know what, ill try that this next nbme i take.
see how i fair going 2 blocks straight.

how long do you think the whole check-out check-in process for breaks takes?

when i do nbmes i just need a 2min break between blocks, i just walk to the water fountain and back. but i guess itll take 3min for checking out and back in so i guess i should consider that a 5min break on test day eh.
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-24-2012
Hope2Pass's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,684
Threads: 213
Thanked 1,597 Times in 660 Posts
Reputation: 1607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NickRiviera View Post
you know what, ill try that this next nbme i take.
see how i fair going 2 blocks straight.

how long do you think the whole check-out check-in process for breaks takes?

when i do nbmes i just need a 2min break between blocks, i just walk to the water fountain and back. but i guess itll take 3min for checking out and back in so i guess i should consider that a 5min break on test day eh.
Not sure. It depends on how many people are there.
If there's like 5 people who want to take a break and are doing the check-in/check-out then you are in line .. but its a fast process i think. Just add like a min or 2 to your break time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (05-25-2012), Dr.NickRiviera (05-24-2012)
  #8  
Old 05-25-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Pass View Post
Not sure. It depends on how many people are there.
If there's like 5 people who want to take a break and are doing the check-in/check-out then you are in line .. but its a fast process i think. Just add like a min or 2 to your break time.
Waw!
Didn't even think abt the breaks or food yet..
I would say plan your break for 45 mins in total.. That way you can add/subtract the few mins that you get from your tutorial for check in/out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr.NickRiviera (05-26-2012)



Reply

Tags
Exam-Taking

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)