For all old graduates IMG moms preparing for Step1 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 59
Threads: 10
Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default For all old graduates IMG moms preparing for Step1

I have decided to write my story to give hope to anyone who is struggling.
I graduated 8 years ago in a french speaking country in west africa. I did pediatrics residency and came in the US in 2013 to join my husband. When I arrived in the US I couldn't speak a word of english and I did not know anything about USMLE. I started to learn english and gather informations about medical licensing in the US. After around 6 months of english class, I decided to start preparation for step1 in June 2013. Three months later I found out I was pregnant. It was a good news,but I couldn't continue my preparation cause I had very difficult pregnancy. I had to stop everything.

After my daughter turned 18 months I decided to start over in December 2015.I went to a review course. I started UW and FA after I finished the class.I took nbme 13( 7 weeks before the test) and got 205. I was dissapointed but I put myself together and worked on my weak areas. I took nbme 16 ( 3 weeks out) and scored 226. I booked the test and took it on july 20th. I got 221 today. I know is not a great score but for me it is a great achievement coming from where I started.
I want to encourage all old IMG moms who are in this process. Don't give up even if it looks impossible you can do it.Trust yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bluexberry (02-08-2017), DPeterson (02-15-2017), hajira (08-15-2016), Joanna1987 (02-08-2017), medwannabe99 (02-08-2017), Neelofer (02-17-2017), platelet85 (08-10-2016), TBS2017 (02-15-2017), zak09 (02-15-2017)



  #2  
Old 02-07-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Question

Thanks for inspirational post and congratulations on your exam results! Could you share how you managed studying with the toddler? Mine is 17 months old and still needs me pretty often... Was somebody helping you with the kid, did you put her in daycare or was she with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
danikp (02-15-2017)
  #3  
Old 02-08-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 19
Threads: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Thank you for this

I'm not a mom but I have gone through a lot of other things in my life that made me postpone this test twice.

I'm finally taking it in a few weeks and it's really nice to hear such encouragement






Quote:
Originally Posted by danikp View Post
I have decided to write my story to give hope to anyone who is struggling.
I graduated 8 years ago in a french speaking country in west africa. I did pediatrics residency and came in the US in 2013 to join my husband. When I arrived in the US I couldn't speak a word of english and I did not know anything about USMLE. I started to learn english and gather informations about medical licensing in the US. After around 6 months of english class, I decided to start preparation for step1 in June 2013. Three months later I found out I was pregnant. It was a good news,but I couldn't continue my preparation cause I had very difficult pregnancy. I had to stop everything.

After my daughter turned 18 months I decided to start over in December 2015.I went to a review course. I started UW and FA after I finished the class.I took nbme 13( 7 weeks before the test) and got 205. I was dissapointed but I put myself together and worked on my weak areas. I took nbme 16 ( 3 weeks out) and scored 226. I booked the test and took it on july 20th. I got 221 today. I know is not a great score but for me it is a great achievement coming from where I started.
I want to encourage all old IMG moms who are in this process. Don't give up even if it looks impossible you can do it.Trust yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
danikp (02-15-2017)
 
  #4  
Old 02-15-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 59
Threads: 10
Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna1987 View Post
Thank you for this

I'm not a mom but I have gone through a lot of other things in my life that made me postpone this test twice.

I'm finally taking it in a few weeks and it's really nice to hear such encouragement
Go girl you can do it. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-15-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 59
Threads: 10
Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakuna View Post
Thanks for inspirational post and congratulations on your exam results! Could you share how you managed studying with the toddler? Mine is 17 months old and still needs me pretty often... Was somebody helping you with the kid, did you put her in daycare or was she with you?
I used to study early morning and late night when she is asleep. But you need someone to help you with the care of your kid when you are getting close to the exam. Best of luck. Usmle's moms rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-15-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 10
Threads: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danikp View Post
I used to study early morning and late night when she is asleep. But you need someone to help you with the care of your kid when you are getting close to the exam. Best of luck. Usmle's moms rock.
That's commitment. Congratulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
danikp (02-15-2017)
  #7  
Old 02-15-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 22
Threads: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Send a message via Skype™ to afrah yassar
Default

congratulations. . i can understand being a mom of a new born and studying is so tough i have been through this road and got my result today im happy that its atleast more than my last nbme .. i got 225.. i have 7 month old baby girl.. studied during pregnancy and after 20 days of delivery. . although i graduated in 2013 but never thought abt usmle.. anyways best wishes to all moms out there .. u can do it.. i dis it without any help at home it was tough but worth the fruit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
danikp (02-15-2017)
  #8  
Old 02-15-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 59
Threads: 10
Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrah yassar View Post
congratulations. . i can understand being a mom of a new born and studying is so tough i have been through this road and got my result today im happy that its atleast more than my last nbme .. i got 225.. i have 7 month old baby girl.. studied during pregnancy and after 20 days of delivery. . although i graduated in 2013 but never thought abt usmle.. anyways best wishes to all moms out there .. u can do it.. i dis it without any help at home it was tough but worth the fruit..
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience. Usmle's moms rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-15-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 14
Threads: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Amazing and inspirational posts in this thread. It is truly remarkable what we can accomplish through hard work and dedication. Congratulations to all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
danikp (02-15-2017)



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old IMG Preparing for Step1 ARJUN$$ USMLE Apps 11 05-06-2015 05:58 PM
Anyone in sanjose preparing for step1?? meghakotha USMLE Step 1 Study Partners 5 11-04-2014 05:55 PM
Old graduates preparing for USMLE ARJUN$$ USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 10-20-2013 08:40 AM
Esp for old graduates n moms !!! Drmom1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 09-13-2012 05:52 PM
IMG preparing for CS exam MedicalDR14 USMLE Step 2 CS Communication Skills 6 10-30-2010 01:39 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)