probability question - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2012
sruthi's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 109
Threads: 24
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 29
Default probability question

A new serological test for detesting prostate cancer is negstive in 95% of patients who do not hv d disease.If d test is done on 8 blood samples from patients wtout prostate cancer, wat is d probability of gettn atleast 1 positive test result??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 08-08-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,039
Threads: 189
Thanked 557 Times in 318 Posts
Reputation: 567
Default my answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sruthi View Post
A new serological test for detesting prostate cancer is negstive in 95% of patients who do not hv d disease.If d test is done on 8 blood samples from patients wtout prostate cancer, wat is d probability of gettn atleast 1 positive test result??
Specificity of a test is 95%, so a chance of a false positive result is 5%.
The probability of getting at least 1 positive test result in pts who don't have the disease is max 5% (bc e.g. if ask what is the chance of getting two false positive results it will be .25%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-08-2012
sruthi's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 109
Threads: 24
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 29
Smile

the options were;

A. 1-0.05*8
B. 0.05*8
C. 0.05 raised to the power 8
D. 0.95 raised to the power 8
E. 1-(0.95 raised to the power 8)

the answr given ws E...

explanatn ws if each of d 8 tests were taken as an independent event, d probability to get a negative always will b 0.95 multiplied 8 times..since d total probability will always b 1, d probability to get 1 positive will 1-(0.95 raised to 8)...
i didnt get d last part!!
n also y cant it b C??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
worried about probability question!! dr.digant USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 1 Week Ago 01:32 AM
Genetic probability Question Farazdaq USMLE Step 1 Forum 12 10-12-2013 11:59 AM
probability question! numbndumb USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 03-26-2012 12:52 AM
the probability USMLE-Syndrome USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 02-08-2012 01:05 AM
Probability Calculation anoop_1198 USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 06-07-2010 05:19 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)