Kaplan Qbank or Kaplan Qbook? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     55,019 Members     239,296 Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-28-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 11
Threads: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Kaplan Medical Kaplan Qbank or Kaplan Qbook?

Hi,

I have the full set of Kaplan lecture notes 2010, including the kaplan Qbook...so is it necessary to subscribe to the Kaplan Qbank? or should I stick to the usmleworld qbank which am planning to subscribe to?
thanx in advance
PS: and if i have to choose between Kaplan qbank and USMLE world, which one should I choose?
Reply With Quote



  #2  
Old 07-28-2010
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 207
Threads: 34
Thanked 82 Times in 28 Posts
Reputation: 112
Default

I suggest USMLE WORLD
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2010
Pixie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 161
Threads: 29
Thanked 100 Times in 56 Posts
Reputation: 110
Help kaplan Q bank or u world?

@bennyman0-
I am doing u world and Kaplan qbank and I think if u have to choose only one then go with u world but ...if u can do both then, Kaplan Qbank is also good.

They have put in many new questions and in some questions they provide a teacher link video also which will teach u how and why u did u r question wrong..which I think pretty nice and helpful..

So consider the time u have for prep and then decide..
Reply With Quote
The above post was thanked by:
bennyman0 (07-29-2010)
  #4  
Old 03-02-2011
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 638
Threads: 47
Thanked 378 Times in 241 Posts
Reputation: 388
Default

i plan to do both... kaplan and uworld

but dont know where and when

i thought zum zum's idea was good.. after each chapter review the Q of the topic..

but for this i dont know which to choose: kaplan q book, kaplan bank, uworld..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2011
heights's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 561
Threads: 69
Thanked 971 Times in 346 Posts
Reputation: 991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinGeorge View Post
i plan to do both... kaplan and uworld

but dont know where and when

i thought zum zum's idea was good.. after each chapter review the Q of the topic..

but for this i dont know which to choose: kaplan q book, kaplan bank, uworld..
I will be using both also. Kaplan is good for doing after each chapter review, and save UWorld to do random, timed questions closer to your test.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 281
Threads: 11
Thanked 188 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 198
Default

Although i do love USMLE world... I will also admit that its also too over rated when compared to kaplan's qbank... Sure USMLE World is one hell of a hard qbank to do. But the most important thing any student would want is to have a true representation of the usmle examination... Which you can only get with the kaplan qbank.

For me, I'm a firm believer that students should only use USMLE world as a learning qbank and not a testing qbank.. It doesn't make sense to use it as such because the questions are completely different than what you see on the USMLE examinations. Kaplan's wording and question length is exactly the same as if you were to see it on the USMLE.

When studying for the USMLE. Use easy question books initially such as Kaplan qbook/usmle rx/consult/BRS/Pretest to go over with.. As well as world at the end of each subject as a way to add onto the info you have just learned... Because chances are, you will do bad initially on your first try through the qbank.

As you move through new subjects. Keep adding questions to your question pool for usmle world.. for example, lets say last week you did biochemstry and did all the q's in usmle world.. Now lets fast forward a week later and you just finished anatomy. When doing questions in the USMLE world.. Put in biochemistry and anatomy questions in your qbank to test your overall knowledge.. This allows you to go over the qbank multiple times in order to study.

After finishing all the subjects. Now comes a time to evaluate yourself on how your going to do on the actual USMLE. Best thing to do initially is NBME 1. Its the most broadest NBME of all the examinations available as it tests the main concepts in almost every subject. I found NBME 1 to be a very good predictor of your actually usmle score because it has the biggest sample size out of all the exams. NBME 7 although is most like the exam.. but ignore that for now till you feel you are completely ready for it.

While testing your skills out to see where you are. Get 1-3 months of kaplan qbank and do the qbank mixed/timed/unused mode. The kaplan qbank is the qbank that is MOST like the actual USMLE. Kaplan is a very fact based qbank. But believe me the USMLE love's stupid facts to throw off students. If you go to the actual kaplan lectures and have had dr. barone before. You know what im talking about when he tells usmle secret questions and what the answers are. I have seen them on the usmle and all i would say is "wow, Barone really does have my back"

Kaplan qbank plus also comes with a sample USMLE examination along with it. There is a website out there that calculates what your USMLE score would be based on the kaplan exam results you get. For me, the website got my mark somewhat close. But the kaplans exam is pretty good as it comes with some video/audio questions...

But the best exam's you can test yourself in terms of finding your usmle estimate is by far NBME.. with UWSA exams coming in a distant second. NBME only gives you 200 questions with pictures. While the UWSA exams come with integrative vignettes and i think audios as well.

Hope this helps in terms of deciding whats best to do on the USMLE.. Of course this is just my opinion on how things should be done, but everyone should do what ever makes them feel most comfortable. Don't ever let people discourage you on what you think works!
__________________
Premed[x] Basic Sciences [x] Step 1 [x] Step 2 CK [x] Step 2 CS [x] Step 3 [ ]
Reply With Quote
The above post was thanked by:
hemali_hpk (02-27-2014), LatinGeorge (03-02-2011), nsesereso (03-02-2011), Teonie (09-24-2013)
  #7  
Old 03-02-2011
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 638
Threads: 47
Thanked 378 Times in 241 Posts
Reputation: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtheMD View Post
Although i do love USMLE world... I will also admit that its also too over rated when compared to kaplan's qbank... Sure USMLE World is one hell of a hard qbank to do. But the most important thing any student would want is to have a true representation of the usmle examination... Which you can only get with the kaplan qbank.

For me, I'm a firm believer that students should only use USMLE world as a learning qbank and not a testing qbank.. It doesn't make sense to use it as such because the questions are completely different than what you see on the USMLE examinations. Kaplan's wording and question length is exactly the same as if you were to see it on the USMLE.

When studying for the USMLE. Use easy question books initially such as Kaplan qbook/usmle rx/consult/BRS/Pretest to go over with.. As well as world at the end of each subject as a way to add onto the info you have just learned... Because chances are, you will do bad initially on your first try through the qbank.

As you move through new subjects. Keep adding questions to your question pool for usmle world.. for example, lets say last week you did biochemstry and did all the q's in usmle world.. Now lets fast forward a week later and you just finished anatomy. When doing questions in the USMLE world.. Put in biochemistry and anatomy questions in your qbank to test your overall knowledge.. This allows you to go over the qbank multiple times in order to study.

After finishing all the subjects. Now comes a time to evaluate yourself on how your going to do on the actual USMLE. Best thing to do initially is NBME 1. Its the most broadest NBME of all the examinations available as it tests the main concepts in almost every subject. I found NBME 1 to be a very good predictor of your actually usmle score because it has the biggest sample size out of all the exams. NBME 7 although is most like the exam.. but ignore that for now till you feel you are completely ready for it.

While testing your skills out to see where you are. Get 1-3 months of kaplan qbank and do the qbank mixed/timed/unused mode. The kaplan qbank is the qbank that is MOST like the actual USMLE. Kaplan is a very fact based qbank. But believe me the USMLE love's stupid facts to throw off students. If you go to the actual kaplan lectures and have had dr. barone before. You know what im talking about when he tells usmle secret questions and what the answers are. I have seen them on the usmle and all i would say is "wow, Barone really does have my back"

Kaplan qbank plus also comes with a sample USMLE examination along with it. There is a website out there that calculates what your USMLE score would be based on the kaplan exam results you get. For me, the website got my mark somewhat close. But the kaplans exam is pretty good as it comes with some video/audio questions...

But the best exam's you can test yourself in terms of finding your usmle estimate is by far NBME.. with UWSA exams coming in a distant second. NBME only gives you 200 questions with pictures. While the UWSA exams come with integrative vignettes and i think audios as well.

Hope this helps in terms of deciding whats best to do on the USMLE.. Of course this is just my opinion on how things should be done, but everyone should do what ever makes them feel most comfortable. Don't ever let people discourage you on what you think works!
First of all, i just saw your blog and the diagram http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1JRY0mCuhq...144020a9a1.jpg is just $%#@# funny!!


and about the q banks.. i dont want to be to ambitious.. but i want to do kaplans q bank and UW and kaplans Qbook... the problem is .. dont know where to incoroporate each.. people say one should start early doing Q.. im so confused right now!
Reply With Quote
The above post was thanked by:
JJtheMD (03-03-2011)
  #8  
Old 03-02-2011
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 638
Threads: 47
Thanked 378 Times in 241 Posts
Reputation: 388
Default

by the way.. good blog i
Reply With Quote
The above post was thanked by:
JJtheMD (03-03-2011)
  #9  
Old 03-03-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 281
Threads: 11
Thanked 188 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 198
Default

mmm, well it depends on how you study... If your going through particular subjects like biochem or pharm or something. Then its best to use a qbank after doing a certain subtopic of that subject.

Theres no real correct way to study or correct resource to use because everyone is different. It's really up to you to find out what your strength are in terms of what works best while studying.. For me, im a active learner... I'll talk to my self for physio or anything to make better sense of things. Use Flash cards to create a repitition of things. I also continously used qbanks through out my studies... For me, i used Kaplan qbank first to learn all subjects with... I used the USMLE World qbank to go through with while going through a Kaplan Live Lecture Course... The last qbank i used was the USMLErx qbank as my testing qbank a month before exam...

If i would do it over again, i would of started off with usmle rx, and then usmle world.. and then my final qbank would of been kaplan's


oh yeah, I love that picture 2 When i found it on the web, i ROFL'd :P Thanks again!
__________________
Premed[x] Basic Sciences [x] Step 1 [x] Step 2 CK [x] Step 2 CS [x] Step 3 [ ]
Reply With Quote
The above post was thanked by:
LatinGeorge (03-03-2011)
  #10  
Old 03-03-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 117
Threads: 13
Thanked 47 Times in 36 Posts
Reputation: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtheMD View Post
Although i do love USMLE world... I will also admit that its also too over rated when compared to kaplan's qbank... Sure USMLE World is one hell of a hard qbank to do. But the most important thing any student would want is to have a true representation of the usmle examination... Which you can only get with the kaplan qbank.

For me, I'm a firm believer that students should only use USMLE world as a learning qbank and not a testing qbank.. It doesn't make sense to use it as such because the questions are completely different than what you see on the USMLE examinations. Kaplan's wording and question length is exactly the same as if you were to see it on the USMLE.

When studying for the USMLE. Use easy question books initially such as Kaplan qbook/usmle rx/consult/BRS/Pretest to go over with.. As well as world at the end of each subject as a way to add onto the info you have just learned... Because chances are, you will do bad initially on your first try through the qbank.

As you move through new subjects. Keep adding questions to your question pool for usmle world.. for example, lets say last week you did biochemstry and did all the q's in usmle world.. Now lets fast forward a week later and you just finished anatomy. When doing questions in the USMLE world.. Put in biochemistry and anatomy questions in your qbank to test your overall knowledge.. This allows you to go over the qbank multiple times in order to study.

After finishing all the subjects. Now comes a time to evaluate yourself on how your going to do on the actual USMLE. Best thing to do initially is NBME 1. Its the most broadest NBME of all the examinations available as it tests the main concepts in almost every subject. I found NBME 1 to be a very good predictor of your actually usmle score because it has the biggest sample size out of all the exams. NBME 7 although is most like the exam.. but ignore that for now till you feel you are completely ready for it.

While testing your skills out to see where you are. Get 1-3 months of kaplan qbank and do the qbank mixed/timed/unused mode. The kaplan qbank is the qbank that is MOST like the actual USMLE. Kaplan is a very fact based qbank. But believe me the USMLE love's stupid facts to throw off students. If you go to the actual kaplan lectures and have had dr. barone before. You know what im talking about when he tells usmle secret questions and what the answers are. I have seen them on the usmle and all i would say is "wow, Barone really does have my back"

Kaplan qbank plus also comes with a sample USMLE examination along with it. There is a website out there that calculates what your USMLE score would be based on the kaplan exam results you get. For me, the website got my mark somewhat close. But the kaplans exam is pretty good as it comes with some video/audio questions...

But the best exam's you can test yourself in terms of finding your usmle estimate is by far NBME.. with UWSA exams coming in a distant second. NBME only gives you 200 questions with pictures. While the UWSA exams come with integrative vignettes and i think audios as well.

Hope this helps in terms of deciding whats best to do on the USMLE.. Of course this is just my opinion on how things should be done, but everyone should do what ever makes them feel most comfortable. Don't ever let people discourage you on what you think works!

hmm good post.. I do think you are right about the level of difficulty .. on the real exam vs uworld.
I am definitely doing uworld, but besides that - I wanted to add more questions so if you were to pick between usmleRx and Kaplan Q bank which one would you pick?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 281
Threads: 11
Thanked 188 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 198
Default

By far use Kaplan's.

USMLE rx's qbank doesn't have the best question in it... Although there is alot! Theres even Video Questions + Audios + Intergrative Vignettes in them now. But i always felt that you get 'Quality' questions with the Kaplan Qbank... I think regular people or students who get 240+ make up the questions in the usmle rx qbank which are reviewed by the First Aid Team. But with the Kaplan Qbank.. You get questions that are made by the teacher's whom are Step 1 Specialists and know exactly what USMLE question makers tend to target on the boards.
__________________
Premed[x] Basic Sciences [x] Step 1 [x] Step 2 CK [x] Step 2 CS [x] Step 3 [ ]
Reply With Quote
The above post was thanked by:
LatinGeorge (03-03-2011), step1saga (03-03-2011)
  #12  
Old 07-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 16
Threads: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default How about the question books?

Is it necessary to buy the Q books if you subscribe to Qbank (Kaplan)? What is the best use of the Kaplan Qbook?
Reply With Quote
The above post was thanked by:
Ace3 (07-25-2011)
  #13  
Old 07-25-2011
mary's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 339
Threads: 12
Thanked 386 Times in 141 Posts
Reputation: 396
Default You can skip it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen_dinh View Post
Is it necessary to buy the Q books if you subscribe to Qbank (Kaplan)? What is the best use of the Kaplan Qbook?
No, it's not necessary, you can skip it.
Have a look here
Is Kaplan Qbook a must have?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-06-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 404
Threads: 108
Thanked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 78
Default

so the next question that comes is:

for how long do we have to subscribe it for???


my exam is in nov 29 and am planning to do kaplan q bank and uw..i am thinking of taking kap qbank for 1 month (august) and then for the last 2 months(sept oct) months do uw and in nov revise uw ,FA and do NBME...is it ok??or do i need to subscribe kap q bank also for 3 months....

and if i subscribe for 1 month do i miss out on the questions that are there for the 3 months subscription?

plz help!!
Reply With Quote



Reply

Tags
Kaplan-Medical, Qbanks, USMLEWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kaplan qbank performance bharah USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 07-25-2011 06:33 PM
Kaplan Qbank For CK Sharer For Sale & Wanted Items 0 02-06-2010 07:06 PM
Kaplan Qbank Trick KhalifaUSMLE General Topics Forum 7 11-29-2009 11:15 AM
Kaplan Step 2 CK Qbook apnepal USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 2 10-28-2009 07:47 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)