can anyone xplain displacement,sublimation difference - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 816 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 826
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Question can anyone xplain displacement,sublimation difference

can anyone explain me briefly defense mechanisms of displacement , reaction formation and sublimation......
these three are confusing me a bit......thank you in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 08-25-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 35
Threads: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

displacement : is when u take a emotion towards someone/something and instead of channelizing it towards that person you bring it out on some one else. eg- ur professor screams at ur pg/resident , and your pg/resident of course cannot take his anger out on the professor so he takes it out on you, who is lower in hierarchy . thus he displaces his feeling of anger towards the prof to you . the FEELING remains the same , target is different.

REACTION FORMATION
: is when you have a feeling/ emotion towards someone/something but you portray it as the exact opposite .
eg- you meet a girl first time and she is so attractive that you know you like her , but you end up ignoring her and talk rudely to her if u get a chance to talk to her . the FEELING is presented as a totally opposite one . its not as if u end up hating her , its just an unconscious defense mechanism that you ignore her.


SUBLIMATION:
its when u have a certain feeling/emotion which is not socially acceptable , but you get what you want by converting it into a socially acceptable manner . eg - a women who is an exhibitionist ie loves to show off her nude/semi nude body . now if she goes out on the road and does that , it is socially unacceptable, so she ended up becoming a stripper. now she can do what she likes and its socially acceptable too (please use you discretion as stripping may not be socially acceptable in certain countries)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
venky2600 (08-25-2012)
  #3  
Old 08-25-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 816 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 826
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

and also can anyone xplain the difference between reaction formation and undoing....?

for example-----a person has personal hatred towards a girl buys her flowers...is this rxn formation or undoing...?
thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 08-25-2012
koolkiller88's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 864
Threads: 62
Thanked 372 Times in 224 Posts
Reputation: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venky2600 View Post
and also can anyone xplain the difference between reaction formation and undoing....?

for example-----a person has personal hatred towards a girl buys her flowers...is this rxn formation or undoing...?
thanx
I remember a good example by that Dr. Daugherty

A person saw a beautiful girl on street and want to have sex with her.
1. He go and have sex with his wife- Displacement
2. He buys flowers for his wife (He have guilt that he thought about another woman)- Undoing
3. If he says : that's the ugliest girl i ever saw- then it would be Reaction formation
(this last example is made by me. So if someone think its incorrect. Correct me)
In short reaction formation would be something like "Aangur khante hai" or "grapes are sour"
__________________
One day i will infect these microbes and they will search for "Anti-MEbiotic"....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ricko335 (08-26-2012), venky2600 (08-25-2012)
  #5  
Old 08-25-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 816 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 826
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkiller88 View Post
I remember a good example by that Dr. Daugherty

A person saw a beautiful girl on street and want to have sex with her.
1. He go and have sex with his wife- Displacement
2. He buys flowers for his wife (He have guilt that he thought about another woman)- Undoing
3. If he says : that's the ugliest girl i ever saw- then it would be Reaction formation
(this last example is made by me. So if someone think its incorrect. Correct me)
In short reaction formation would be something like "Aangur khante hai" or "grapes are sour"
thank you....
can u xplain me the current example too....
a person has personal hatred towards a girl buys her flowers...is this rxn formation or undoing...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-25-2012
koolkiller88's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 864
Threads: 62
Thanked 372 Times in 224 Posts
Reputation: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venky2600 View Post
thank you....
can u xplain me the current example too....
a person has personal hatred towards a girl buys her flowers...is this rxn formation or undoing...?
I would say its an undoing.
Undoing: reversal of an unaccepted behavior (Hatred).
__________________
One day i will infect these microbes and they will search for "Anti-MEbiotic"....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-25-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 816 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 826
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkiller88 View Post
I would say its an undoing.
Undoing: reversal of an unaccepted behavior (Hatred).
i still have the confusion dude......i'm thinking it as reaction formation....undoing is the right answer ,though
but,why can't be it's reaction formation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-25-2012
koolkiller88's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 864
Threads: 62
Thanked 372 Times in 224 Posts
Reputation: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venky2600 View Post
i still have the confusion dude......i'm thinking it as reaction formation....undoing is the right answer ,though
but,why can't be it's reaction formation ?
Ya i can understand your confusion.
According to me the basic difference in thinking about this case will be "feeling of guilt" (sounds too psychological ).
The person had personal hatred (that feeling of guilt) to girl, he rectified with flower gifting.unacceptable behavior is fixed or repaired.
This could be considered as reaction formation
but then sentence would be
the person had personal hatred to girl, he said "she is a nice girl". (unacceptable impulse is transformed into opposite impulse.

May be this can't be the clear explanation too but Thats how i saw this question.
__________________
One day i will infect these microbes and they will search for "Anti-MEbiotic"....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-25-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 816 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 826
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkiller88 View Post
Ya i can understand your confusion.
According to me the basic difference in thinking about this case will be "feeling of guilt" (sounds too psychological ).
The person had personal hatred (that feeling of guilt) to girl, he rectified with flower gifting.unacceptable behavior is fixed or repaired.
This could be considered as reaction formation
but then sentence would be
the person had personal hatred to girl, he said "she is a nice girl". (unacceptable impulse is transformed into opposite impulse.

May be this can't be the clear explanation too but Thats how i saw this question.
now, i think i understood well....nyways thnx 4 ur valuable explanation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Displacement versus Sublimation johndoe3344 USMLE Step 1 Forum 23 08-08-2012 10:14 PM
Displacement versus Transference! tyagee USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 07-26-2012 06:45 PM
Best example of sublimation Renaissance USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 04-15-2012 08:59 AM
plz xplain this question guys!! doctorF USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 07-07-2010 11:02 PM
Is this displacement? Mahir USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 12-19-2009 09:31 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)