which is the hormone unaffected? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 817 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 827
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post which is the hormone unaffected?

q) a 5 yr old female child came to the physician by parents for further evaluation of her underdevelopment....her parents tells that she never developed her milestones as per her age since her birth...on examination child looks sluggish, her growth is also affected...on further evaluation the physician finds she has congenital deficiency of enzyme leading to her decrease in hormone levels and also decreasing calcium.....
which of the following hormone is unaffected by this child's problem at present/future condition?

a) Thyroid hormone
b) oxytocin
c)ACTH
d) LH
e) vasopressin
f) aldosterone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 08-26-2012
imgchuchu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 218
Threads: 4
Thanked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Reputation: 84
Default My answer is C?

I choose C hoping she has congenital adrenal hyperplasia presumably 21OH def.
This is tricky question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-26-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 817 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 827
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by venky2600 View Post
q) a 5 yr old female child came to the physician by parents for further evaluation of her underdevelopment....her parents tells that she never developed her milestones as per her age since her birth...on examination child looks sluggish, her growth is also affected...on further evaluation the physician finds she has congenital deficiency of enzyme leading to her decrease in hormone levels( hormones are produced normally but decreased levels) and also decreasing calcium.....
which of the following hormone is unaffected by this child's problem at present/future condition?

a) Thyroid hormone
b) oxytocin
c)ACTH
d) LH
e) vasopressin
f) aldosterone
i think i didnt left enough clues in question......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 08-26-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 85
Threads: 13
Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default

f) aldosterone: this hormone unaffected by this child's problem at present/future condition



Hypothyroidism in the newborn may be caused by:

1) A missing or poorly developed thyroid gland
2) A pituitary gland that does not stimulate the thyroid gland
3) Thyroid hormones that are poorly formed or do not work

neonatal hypothyroidism(congenital hypothyroidism): may be cause is pituitary insuficiency,thats why aldosterone will not be afected by this condition

Last edited by riya_rai84; 08-26-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-26-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 817 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 827
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya_rai84 View Post
f) aldosterone: this hormone unaffected by this child's problem at present/future condition



Hypothyroidism in the newborn may be caused by:

1) A missing or poorly developed thyroid gland
2) A pituitary gland that does not stimulate the thyroid gland
3) Thyroid hormones that are poorly formed or do not work

neonatal hypothyroidism(congenital hypothyroidism): may be cause is pituitary insuficiency,thats why aldosterone will not be afected by this condition
but, what about oxytocin and vasopressin ; they are not secreted by pituitary i guess......
anyways nice try though........u came nearby the answer...actually the question deals with a rare cause...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-26-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 817 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 827
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

ok guys....time to give anothe clue...
deficiency enzyme lies in signalling pathways....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-27-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 304
Threads: 48
Thanked 291 Times in 106 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venky2600 View Post
ok guys....time to give anothe clue...
deficiency enzyme lies in signalling pathways....
In That case then it has to be oxytocin... because that's the only hormone ehich uses Ip3 ca+ pathway.. ADH could be V1 or V2 so the ADH In the question options could be referring to V2..
but correct me if i'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-27-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 817 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 827
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by obinocle View Post
In That case then it has to be oxytocin... because that's the only hormone ehich uses Ip3 ca+ pathway.. ADH could be V1 or V2 so the ADH In the question options could be referring to V2..
but correct me if i'm wrong.
the question says unaffected hormone not affected hormone.....
well, the question will take time to answer without any clues....first time when i did it i took 15 mins for it and answered wrong......
good luck with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-27-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 304
Threads: 48
Thanked 291 Times in 106 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venky2600 View Post
the question says unaffected hormone not affected hormone.....
well, the question will take time to answer without any clues....first time when i did it i took 15 mins for it and answered wrong......
good luck with you
Yea thatz what i mean the hormone will be unaffected because it 's the only one among the options that does not use the ATP-camp pathway. asuming the enzyme defficiency lies in the Camp pathway.. i'm following your clues..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-27-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 817 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 827
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

ok, here is the answer ... it's c) ACTH

it's the deficiency of enzyme leading to decreased calcium release....so it's the Gq coupled signalling mechanism defect..( phospholipase c deficiency.)

all the hypothalamic hormones are released by this pathway except GHRH ,CRH.......so there will be deficiency in thyroid hormones( cretinism), GnRH( FSH,LH), oxytocin, vasopressin( rarely), aldosterone( angiotensin 2)

so,ACTH won't be affected by the PIP 2 pathway.....it's the most appropriate answer for the question..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.nitowl (08-27-2012), riya_rai84 (08-29-2012)
  #11  
Old 08-29-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 304
Threads: 48
Thanked 291 Times in 106 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

i'm re-quoting u "all the hypothalamic hormones are released by this pathway except GHRH ,CRH" .....really? bcoz i thought GHRH uses the ip3 phopholipase C pathway as well.

BTW where did u get this Q Kaplan Qbank??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 08-29-2012
venky2600's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,186
Threads: 119
Thanked 817 Times in 434 Posts
Reputation: 827
Send a message via Yahoo to venky2600
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by obinocle View Post
i'm re-quoting u "all the hypothalamic hormones are released by this pathway except GHRH ,CRH" .....really? bcoz i thought GHRH uses the ip3 phopholipase C pathway as well.

BTW where did u get this Q Kaplan Qbank??
yes, GHRH uses cAMP pathway not IP3 pathway(used by GnRH) ------source first aid 2012 pg.321
this question is from usmlerx i guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steroid Hormone Receptors HY! ayash USMLE Step 1 Forum 19 09-26-2012 06:50 AM
Which Hormone Affected? venky2600 USMLE Step 1 Forum 15 08-24-2012 10:11 PM
Unaffected child of CF Carriers? haga USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 04-13-2012 08:20 PM
Hormone Receptors lee-usmle USMLE Step 1 Bits & Pieces 1 08-05-2011 07:28 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)