right time to start uworld?? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2012
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
USMLEWorld right time to start uworld??

hey friends. i have a question. when should i subscribe for uworld? i am studying first aid as of now.....done with kaplans one read. exam is in 2nd week of dec. i am confused if i should give kaplan a quick second read first or start with uworld ? any suggestions?? plz i really need advice on this one. i am not able to make up my further study plan with this confusion.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 09-07-2012
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Default

? no advice? plz guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-07-2012
dr.nitowl's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 89
Threads: 3
Thanked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

I would suggest doing uworld now, as you have done first read kaplan , n fa . When u do uworld you will know your weak ares n things you cudnt memorise properly. so you can go over kaplan notes for 2nd time with a better idea of where to focus. you can improve, consolidate n be confident by the end of ur 2nd read. After that you can do FA , take your exam and get an awesome score...
(Dont forget nbmes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
5hstar (09-08-2012), hoor (09-07-2012), mikemike (09-07-2012), wenskyrose (10-23-2012)
  #4  
Old 09-07-2012
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.nitowl View Post
I would suggest doing uworld now, as you have done first read kaplan , n fa . When u do uworld you will know your weak ares n things you cudnt memorise properly. so you can go over kaplan notes for 2nd time with a better idea of where to focus. you can improve, consolidate n be confident by the end of ur 2nd read. After that you can do FA , take your exam and get an awesome score...
(Dont forget nbmes)
thanks nitowl i am not yet done with firstaid yet.i think you are right il try to finish uworld subject wise and than give 2nd read to kaplan and first aid.do you think i got enough time?how much time does it usually take to finish uworld in general?thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mikemike (09-07-2012)
  #5  
Old 09-07-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoor View Post
thanks nitowl i am not yet done with firstaid yet.i think you are right il try to finish uworld subject wise and than give 2nd read to kaplan and first aid.do you think i got enough time?how much time does it usually take to finish uworld in general?thanks again
don't recommend subject wise.do it random and if you think you are going to learn better otherwise, then do it "SYSTEM BASED" instead of subject based
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hoor (09-07-2012)
  #6  
Old 09-07-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoor View Post
thanks nitowl i am not yet done with firstaid yet.i think you are right il try to finish uworld subject wise and than give 2nd read to kaplan and first aid.do you think i got enough time?how much time does it usually take to finish uworld in general?thanks again
You can start uworld whenever you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-07-2012
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
You can start uworld whenever you want
i know i could start it any time but i have to adjust my planner accordingly coz il need to do it atleast 3 hours a day plus review my kaplans.hence was asking what how much time frame is required to finish it once throughly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-07-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoor View Post
i know i could start it any time but i have to adjust my planner accordingly coz il need to do it atleast 3 hours a day plus review my kaplans.hence was asking what how much time frame is required to finish it once throughly.
well im assuming you want to go through it really well and understand each questions concept before moving on to the next. Give yourself atleast 2 months to complete uworld once if its your first time...naw mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hoor (09-07-2012)
  #9  
Old 09-07-2012
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
well im assuming you want to go through it really well and understand each questions concept before moving on to the next. Give yourself atleast 2 months to complete uworld once if its your first time...naw mean?
system wise is a good suggestion you gave thanks.i can study all subjects in one block this way yeah i too think il need 1.5 to 2 months to study uwrold so il start from mid sep after im done with firstaid.dam this prep time is making my go all neurotic thanks a lot for ur suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-07-2012
dr.nitowl's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 89
Threads: 3
Thanked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoor View Post
thanks nitowl i am not yet done with firstaid yet.i think you are right il try to finish uworld subject wise and than give 2nd read to kaplan and first aid.do you think i got enough time?how much time does it usually take to finish uworld in general?thanks again

doing random questions will waste a lot of time , you will be jumping concepts from one subject to other, you will feel confused at end of the day. Do it system wise as others have suggested , u will be able to integrate stuff better. there are 2100 questions ie, around 50 blocks so even if you do 2 blocks per day you will be able to finish it in a month. plus 15 days to go thru marked / incorrect questions. 1.5 months if you do leisurely. You can do it faster if you are comfortable. Reg time , If you start uworld sep 15 , you will still have a month for your exam I think it will be sufficient .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hoor (09-07-2012)
  #11  
Old 09-07-2012
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.nitowl View Post
doing random questions will waste a lot of time , you will be jumping concepts from one subject to other, you will feel confused at end of the day. Do it system wise as others have suggested , u will be able to integrate stuff better. there are 2100 questions ie, around 50 blocks so even if you do 2 blocks per day you will be able to finish it in a month. plus 15 days to go thru marked / incorrect questions. 1.5 months if you do leisurely. You can do it faster if you are comfortable. Reg time , If you start uworld sep 15 , you will still have a month for your exam I think it will be sufficient .
you are the best! thanks for explaning so nicely!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 09-07-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 273 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 283
Default

if you are serious about Dec, then u need to start UW asap. no need to do random in the start as u can do it to review your mistakes and marked questions. But u need to start working on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoor View Post
hey friends. i have a question. when should i subscribe for uworld? i am studying first aid as of now.....done with kaplans one read. exam is in 2nd week of dec. i am confused if i should give kaplan a quick second read first or start with uworld ? any suggestions?? plz i really need advice on this one. i am not able to make up my further study plan with this confusion.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hoor (09-07-2012)
  #13  
Old 09-07-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

I also want to take it in December. Is it absolutely necessary to start UW asap? Hopefully i'll be done with all subjects as of October, but I want to do a 2nd revision with Kaplan Qbank and start UW in November.

Is it too close? I though one can do UW in 2 months. Should I just skip Kaplan Qbank then? Should I also skip the 2nd pass?
__________________
All women are artists and makeup's our muse. XO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 09-07-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 273 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 283
Default

yes Tootsie i would do it in your case. i know Kaplan is more difficult than UW but the latter is definitely more vital.i would suggest one complete round of UW and then your marked plus wrong questions. N plz do hand exercises because u will need to write. i got tennis elbow by the time i finished it...LOL... good luck for december
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
I also want to take it in December. Is it absolutely necessary to start UW asap? Hopefully i'll be done with all subjects as of October, but I want to do a 2nd revision with Kaplan Qbank and start UW in November.

Is it too close? I though one can do UW in 2 months. Should I just skip Kaplan Qbank then? Should I also skip the 2nd pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (09-07-2012)
  #15  
Old 09-07-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
I also want to take it in December. Is it absolutely necessary to start UW asap? Hopefully i'll be done with all subjects as of October, but I want to do a 2nd revision with Kaplan Qbank and start UW in November.

Is it too close? I though one can do UW in 2 months. Should I just skip Kaplan Qbank then? Should I also skip the 2nd pass?
YES you are better off moving to uworld now that way you can really concentrate and make the most out of it..even this dude says you don't have to finish all of kaplan qbank
just get started on uworld asap!!! i wish I couldve done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hoor (09-07-2012), tootsie (09-07-2012)



  #16  
Old 09-07-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 273 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 283
Default

another thing-- i totally agree that u can do UW in 2 months but trust me you don't wanna do it in the last two months. it may make u nervous and you may freak out.So get this monkey off your back early so that last 1.5 months are just reviewing the material and nothing new
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (09-07-2012)
  #17  
Old 09-07-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

My major concern though, is that although I know the concepts very well, I still have to memorize those smaller details that's why I planned on doing kaplan while revising LN and FA.

Otherwise I may feel like I'm guessing on questions.

Is this normal? Can I still get 250+ using only UW as a qbank?
__________________
All women are artists and makeup's our muse. XO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 09-07-2012
hoor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 141
Threads: 16
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 61
Send a message via Skype™ to hoor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
My major concern though, is that although I know the concepts very well, I still have to memorize those smaller details that's why I planned on doing kaplan while revising LN and FA.

Otherwise I may feel like I'm guessing on questions.

Is this normal? Can I still get 250+ using only UW as a qbank?
hey, i think FA helps better to memorize tiny tit bits.its easy to recall.il start u world as soon as im done with first aid.which is by 20th.what about you?its better we get over with it soon so that we will have time to go through marked n incorrect questions again.from what i can gather doin more and more questions is much important than revising kaplan.what say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 09-08-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoor View Post
hey, i think FA helps better to memorize tiny tit bits.its easy to recall.il start u world as soon as im done with first aid.which is by 20th.what about you?its better we get over with it soon so that we will have time to go through marked n incorrect questions again.from what i can gather doin more and more questions is much important than revising kaplan.what say?
I haven't really read FA yet. How long is it taking you? Are you doing it with DIT?

I don't have an exam date yet. But I did want to take it latest, on Dec. 28th or whatever the last date before New Years.

For now I'll finish up the 1st read on the subjects left, then I'll grab FA and from there decide if it's worth it to hop directly to UW or if I should do Kaplan qbank.

__________________
All women are artists and makeup's our muse. XO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 09-08-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 273 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 283
Default

my friend if you have not really read FA yet and you have not done UW, it means you are still missing a very important part pf the preparation.as far as those tit-bits are concerned, you will memorize them when u make mistakes on question bank. Regarding score more than 250, its tricky as it doesn not only depend upon one Qbank only. lot of factors including your own perception on the actual exam. you need to read FA at least three times very well in order to get those kinda score. i got 253 and never did Kaplan QBank so i can only spak about myself. rest each to their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
My major concern though, is that although I know the concepts very well, I still have to memorize those smaller details that's why I planned on doing kaplan while revising LN and FA.

Otherwise I may feel like I'm guessing on questions.

Is this normal? Can I still get 250+ using only UW as a qbank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (09-08-2012)



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Preparation, USMLEWorld

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pls Help: How LATE can I start UWORLD? viral USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 07-17-2012 09:41 AM
Time needed to do Uworld Second time steps_8186 USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 04-17-2012 07:49 AM
best time to start MTB i_m_possible USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 21 07-13-2011 03:16 PM
Which Step 1 Qbank to start with; Kaplan or UWorld? usmle0987 USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads 5 02-18-2011 08:10 AM
How do I Start Doing the UWorld! sohni USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 04-04-2010 08:09 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)