Dec 27th Exam Experience, 252/87 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 38
Threads: 9
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default Dec 27th Exam Experience, 252/87

Hi every one,
I used to read experiences and score threads and wish that one day I would complete this exam and post my experience, and the day come...

Materials used:

Kaplan LNs (twice) & videos
FA 2011 (3 times and 1 with DIT)
Goljian audios and notes ( twice )
Sometimes I was doin pretest but I found them useless
Neurology lectures of Dr.Njeeb (greatly useful but I've no time for the rest)

Questions:

UW
Qbook
some pretest
Some of kaplan Q bank (one friend gave it to me)
NBME (7 online, 11 & 13 offline)

The Detailes:

First Round:

I started with Kaplan LN along with the Videos, I was just having a look while I listen to the videos, it was on & off, and it took about 2 months. After each book finished, I took the kaplan Q book first test.
After doing pathology from Kaplan I listened to Dr.Goljan audios, it was great, he gives you confidence and teaches you more than pathology.

I did a Kaplan diagnostic test and got 74%

Then I started DIT with first look on FA , it was helpful , this took about 1 month

Second round:

Then I started my second reading of Kaplan LN alone without DVD, now more focused, again it took 2 months. Also after each subject finished I did the related test from Kaplan Q book, there was improvement from first test.

USMLEWORLD:

Then I started with the best tool in the preparation UW, I was doing 2 blocks (RANDOM, MIXED, TIMED) in the morning and not reviewing them, then I do FA, and at night I review the 2 blocks, each block take about 2-3 Hr, I was Writing the wrong answers as well as the guessed ones in a separate papers ( NOT on FA), When I reached 70% I took UWSA 1 and got 260, this gave me a great dose of confidence, then finished UW, it was 80%.

I completed first Aid for one time, then I did NBME 7 on-line and got 252 (Amazingly correlated to My Actual score, actually the same as real score) this was about 1.5 months from the test.

I did FA again and reviewed UW the false and marked ones and some of the correct, now ended up with 90%, and reviewed the study guide of DIT (filled with HY stuff) then I did NBME 11 OFF line ( I felt good with nearly 185-190 Q correct out of 200).

10 days prior to the big day:

I took my UWSA2 and got 265, ( Now I said to myself I will do it and get better than this score) Very important to keep the positive thinking, it will push you up incredibly.

I reviewed FA (forth times) and took the free 150 Q and got 94% 4 days before the test, it helped me to skip the tutorial part on the test and to see the screen of the test (100 % the same).

The 2 days before the test I didn’t study and went out walking and refreshing, went to the exam center to check the road and assess the time needed, and I was thinking that I’ve finished the work and now it’s time to harvest so I should be happy and relaxed. But I couldn’t fight the subconscious mind which prevent me from sleeping the night before the test, I woke up every hour at that night.

The Day of the Test:

I woke up at 6:30, took my breakfast and went out at 7:30, reached the center at 8.

The time in the test was good, I was left with 5-10 min after each block to review the marked Qs, only one block I couldn’t review all the marked as I had only 2 min.

I felt I did well on the test (to be honest I was thinking I will get 260+).

Assessment scores:

UW (Random, timed, mixed, unused) 80%
(second round incorrect and marked reached 90%)
NBME 7 ……..(1.5 month before) …. 252
UWSA 1 ……..(2 months before) ……260
UWSA 2 ……..(10 days before) ………265
Free 150 Q ….(4 days before) ……….94%

The real Step1 252/87 (As NBME 7)

Over all:

-keep the study fun, every thing new you know will help you in the future to help people.
-Keep the +ve thinking (this is greatly important, I can’t tell how important is this), this will help you cope with the tuff material.
-Be sure that you Can Do It, as many have did it, and many will do it.
-Do Qs as much as you can, this will make you pay attention to things you ignored.
-FA is great and try doing it 3 times at least (the more the better).
-Goljan audios are useful as I said above, he make things looks very easy and understandable.

I wish you all the best, any question is welcomed and I hope I can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
5hstar (01-17-2013), docmoumi (07-07-2015), Dr.Tiger (01-16-2013), dr007 (01-16-2013), drcalikila (01-16-2013), DrNur (01-16-2013), gokulramani (06-28-2015), jhilmil (01-18-2013), Lintusam (05-12-2013), MedicalExaminer (01-16-2013), mulchandani161 (01-18-2013), nistoriulia10 (09-21-2016), sami trailer (01-18-2013), usmle_taker (01-18-2013), zeal7 (01-18-2013)



  #2  
Old 01-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Congratulations

Did you find DIT useful ?
and Pathology you did Kaplan also or Goljan alone ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 38
Threads: 9
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tiger View Post
Congratulations

Did you find DIT useful ?
and Pathology you did Kaplan also or Goljan alone ?
Thanks,

DIT is useful in that it help you memorise FA as you keep on repeat and right your answers on their study guide, it helped me.

I did both kaplan and goljan in patho but I didn't read the Rapid review book in Pathology only the audio and the slides and the notes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr.Tiger (01-16-2013)
  #4  
Old 01-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 28
Threads: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default congrats

awesome score.. i managed to get only 237..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 38
Threads: 9
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrvindraghunat View Post
awesome score.. i managed to get only 237..
Yours is still good score man ..... keep it up for step2 CK .... good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-16-2013
drcalikila's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 53
Threads: 19
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allawi1085 View Post
Hi every one,
I used to read experiences and score threads and wish that one day I would complete this exam and post my experience, and the day come...

Materials used:

Kaplan LNs (twice) & videos
FA 2011 (3 times and 1 with DIT)
Goljian audios and notes ( twice )
Sometimes I was doin pretest but I found them useless
Neurology lectures of Dr.Njeeb (greatly useful but I've no time for the rest)

Questions:

UW
Qbook
some pretest
Some of kaplan Q bank (one friend gave it to me)
NBME (7 online, 11 & 13 offline)

The Detailes:

First Round:

I started with Kaplan LN along with the Videos, I was just having a look while I listen to the videos, it was on & off, and it took about 2 months. After each book finished, I took the kaplan Q book first test.
After doing pathology from Kaplan I listened to Dr.Goljan audios, it was great, he gives you confidence and teaches you more than pathology.

I did a Kaplan diagnostic test and got 74%

Then I started DIT with first look on FA , it was helpful , this took about 1 month

Second round:

Then I started my second reading of Kaplan LN alone without DVD, now more focused, again it took 2 months. Also after each subject finished I did the related test from Kaplan Q book, there was improvement from first test.

USMLEWORLD:

Then I started with the best tool in the preparation UW, I was doing 2 blocks (RANDOM, MIXED, TIMED) in the morning and not reviewing them, then I do FA, and at night I review the 2 blocks, each block take about 2-3 Hr, I was Writing the wrong answers as well as the guessed ones in a separate papers ( NOT on FA), When I reached 70% I took UWSA 1 and got 260, this gave me a great dose of confidence, then finished UW, it was 80%.

I completed first Aid for one time, then I did NBME 7 on-line and got 252 (Amazingly correlated to My Actual score, actually the same as real score) this was about 1.5 months from the test.

I did FA again and reviewed UW the false and marked ones and some of the correct, now ended up with 90%, and reviewed the study guide of DIT (filled with HY stuff) then I did NBME 11 OFF line ( I felt good with nearly 185-190 Q correct out of 200).

10 days prior to the big day:

I took my UWSA2 and got 265, ( Now I said to myself I will do it and get better than this score) Very important to keep the positive thinking, it will push you up incredibly.

I reviewed FA (forth times) and took the free 150 Q and got 94% 4 days before the test, it helped me to skip the tutorial part on the test and to see the screen of the test (100 % the same).

The 2 days before the test I didn’t study and went out walking and refreshing, went to the exam center to check the road and assess the time needed, and I was thinking that I’ve finished the work and now it’s time to harvest so I should be happy and relaxed. But I couldn’t fight the subconscious mind which prevent me from sleeping the night before the test, I woke up every hour at that night.

The Day of the Test:

I woke up at 6:30, took my breakfast and went out at 7:30, reached the center at 8.

The time in the test was good, I was left with 5-10 min after each block to review the marked Qs, only one block I couldn’t review all the marked as I had only 2 min.

I felt I did well on the test (to be honest I was thinking I will get 260+).

Assessment scores:

UW (Random, timed, mixed, unused) 80%
(second round incorrect and marked reached 90%)
NBME 7 ……..(1.5 month before) …. 252
UWSA 1 ……..(2 months before) ……260
UWSA 2 ……..(10 days before) ………265
Free 150 Q ….(4 days before) ……….94%

The real Step1 252/87 (As NBME 7)

Over all:

-keep the study fun, every thing new you know will help you in the future to help people.
-Keep the +ve thinking (this is greatly important, I can’t tell how important is this), this will help you cope with the tuff material.
-Be sure that you Can Do It, as many have did it, and many will do it.
-Do Qs as much as you can, this will make you pay attention to things you ignored.
-FA is great and try doing it 3 times at least (the more the better).
-Goljan audios are useful as I said above, he make things looks very easy and understandable.

I wish you all the best, any question is welcomed and I hope I can help.
Congrats! How months of preparation did it take? :D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 38
Threads: 9
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

Thanks man...
Overall it took about 7 months
Last 2 months hard work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr.Tiger (01-16-2013)
  #8  
Old 01-16-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

wow. congrats all the best for step2ck.
what is DIT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 38
Threads: 9
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by owaiseth View Post
wow. congrats all the best for step2ck.
what is DIT?
Thanks
DIT = Doctors in Training ... Video series that explain first aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
owaiseth (01-16-2013)
  #10  
Old 01-18-2013
zeal7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 45
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrvindraghunat View Post
awesome score.. i managed to get only 237..
That's a really good score mate.
Can you tell us ur exam preparation experience too...
All the best for your step 2 ck.


I get what I work for than what I wish for..
__________________
A honey bee visits 2 million flowers to collect 500 mg of honey. So our workload is nothing as compared to them. Be cheerful and keep working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 06-27-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Hello,

What is FA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for CS Partner in Atlanta; Exam: 27th DEC drahmednawaz USMLE Step 2 CS Study Partners 4 12-13-2015 09:54 AM
27th DEC exam experience. hoor USMLE Step 1 Forum 26 01-10-2014 06:45 PM
swaping CS exam on 27th november chaudhary 7 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 4 11-13-2012 11:30 AM
Looking for CS Partner in Oceanside, CA / Carlsbad, CA; Exam: 27th Jan. 2012 rayn2k2 USMLE Step 2 CS Study Partners 0 01-11-2012 11:49 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)