Lost, Demotivated, and Burned Out - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-10-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Embarrassed Lost, Demotivated, and Burned Out

Hi Everyone ,
I really don't post too much in this forum as I used to do in CK forum because of lack of time, but I read every single thread that you guys post & they are really helpful as always.

I actually want your opinion on my progress cause I'm kind of lost, demotivated, burned out & everything else in-between which from my past experience with CK is normal !

I've been preparing for God knows how long, I guess June last year on & off.
Here's what I've done so far.

some books of the Kaplan notes once.
FA once.
almost all kaplan videos once.
Online Kaplan qbank, finished 89% (untimed-systems) as a learning tool & got 57% overall .
260 pages of notes from kaplan qbank.
lots & lots of youtube videos which are really helpful.

now I've just started doing UW (timed-mixed) along with reading the notes that I made with also a revision of F.A. for the second time with taking new notes from the UW blocks.

already done with 6 blocks but my scores are 52-50-46-57-57-59 in that order.

too scared to take NBME & decided to do it after finishing UW.

exam APRIL 11th

My question is am I in a good shape ? where am I standing ??!!

really guys any input is appreciated,you know the feeling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-10-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 74
Threads: 19
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

Sounds good prep...
just u need to believe in urself....
be confident....
& be motivated....
& correlate things wid each other
bcoz i think persistence & correlation iz the key 2 success in step 1.....
awl da best....
do watch motivational videos also....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
younissmed (03-10-2013)
  #3  
Old 03-10-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

thanks for your reply, I actually try to do all of that , but my question was, are my UW scores good being the first 6 blocks I did right after I finished my first read ? or those scores are really bad?!!

thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-11-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

can anybody else please tell me if I'm on the right track or way off , any advise is appreciated , I'm runnung out of time.
thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-11-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default It seems you've done a lot

I have a question- do you think that using 2 qbanks in useful?
And now that you've already started Uworled, which bank do you think it the best?
Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-11-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

well, it's definitely helpful, I used kaplan qbank as a learning tool not for evaluation, because let's face it , if you're depending mainly only F.A. as I did you'll have a weak base & the questions are a totally different story , so solving some questions along with studying really gives you an idea about what to expect to be asked.
as everybody say , UW is far more important that Kaplan ,that's why I left it to the end & using it for evaluation.
good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-11-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 21
Threads: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
can anybody else please tell me if I'm on the right track or way off , any advise is appreciated , I'm runnung out of time.
thanks again
I think you are on the right track.

The first scores from UWorld tend to be low (at least in my case).

The important thing is that you understand why you got the question wrong, and progressively your correct% should increase.

I think that ending up with 70% +/- 5% is pretty good for UWorld, but only if you learned from the questions you got wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
younissmed (03-11-2013)
  #8  
Old 03-11-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

thanks , hopefully I'll get better with time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-11-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 214
Threads: 29
Thanked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 72
Default

hey,im more or less in the same position as you.my uworld scores range between 48 - 64 ( i dont know what that says about my prep).but recently ive been getting in the high 50s and low 60s so i would like to assume its improvement.
i plan to take my exam in 2nd week of april as well.
ive planned a ridiculous next 10 days of intense cramming.(ive been doing that for sometime thought..lol)...the uworld takes up majority of my day but otherwise i plan to go through FA again.and maybe do some flashcards etc.
we have about 1 month so i think its possible - im aiming for anything above 200 so hopefully its enough time.
lets work hard and see what happens.best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-11-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 219
Threads: 44
Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafdelag View Post
I think you are on the right track.

The first scores from UWorld tend to be low (at least in my case).

The important thing is that you understand why you got the question wrong, and progressively your correct% should increase.

I think that ending up with 70% +/- 5% is pretty good for UWorld, but only if you learned from the questions you got wrong.
hello

just a small question.. when you say 70% -/+5.. which score are u referring to? because my overall correct has been stuck at 55%.. or are you talking about individual block correct answers percentage?

thanks in advance
and good luck to the OP.. (im in the same boat as you are.. and looking for advice )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-11-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

Just now ,solved another block got 67% ,hope at least it stays that way,thanks for your support guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 03-11-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

I think this thread is gonna become my journal
so tonight , I've pushed myself to do 4 blocks ( timed-mixed )
my scores are 67-52-63-54 !!!!!
so far I'm done with 10 blocks with cumulative performance of 56%
I have no clue if it's good or bad !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 03-12-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

any insight guys???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 214
Threads: 29
Thanked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
I think this thread is gonna become my journal
so tonight , I've pushed myself to do 4 blocks ( timed-mixed )
my scores are 67-52-63-54 !!!!!
so far I'm done with 10 blocks with cumulative performance of 56%
I have no clue if it's good or bad !!
do you manage to review all 4 blocks in the same day? i did 2 today 59 - 50.
reviewing takes so much time for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 03-12-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samren17 View Post
do you manage to review all 4 blocks in the same day? i did 2 today 59 - 50.
reviewing takes so much time for me.
Hell no , reviewing one block takes more than 4 hours , but I try to manage.
when is your test ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 214
Threads: 29
Thanked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
Hell no , reviewing one block takes more than 4 hours , but I try to manage.
when is your test ?
well april 31st is when my 3 month period expires.and worse case scenario i can extend it for another 3 months but im working with the attitude that its on april 15.so that gives me 1 month.
i actually want to know if its possible to improve from this situation to a 200+ score in a months time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 03-12-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

sorry , can't really help you , I'm asking the same question & nobody is answering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 214
Threads: 29
Thanked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
sorry , can't really help you , I'm asking the same question & nobody is answering.
its okay.i guess we will figure out for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 14
Threads: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

This is the best advice you will get buddy: TAKE AN NBME!!!

How else will you know where you stand?? NBME's are $50 each. That's a drop in the bucket compared to how much we pay for overall medical education.

Take one of the latest NBME's and take them every week or so. It'll be like $200. That's the only way you can measure progress. Don't be scared of taking NBME, be happy we have this resource.

I'm also taking it mid-April and took my first NBMe last Friday. I know where I stand now and I'm going to take my next one sometime this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
samren17 (03-12-2013), tramps (03-12-2013), younissmed (03-12-2013)
  #20  
Old 03-12-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

thank you , I guess I'll give it a shot after I finish half UW ,I guess there's no other way.
I just have a question regarding the NBME forms,do the questions in a sngle form change periodically ? for instance ,if I take #13 today & next week ,are they gonna be the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 14
Threads: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

They stay the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
younissmed (03-12-2013)
  #22  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 214
Threads: 29
Thanked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookAtMeNow View Post
They stay the same
i took nbme 5 about 2 weeks back and nbme 6 on saturday(3 days back).in both tests i got 300/175. as this thread has aptly been titled i am also sick of studying and want to get done with it.so if i get around the 200's ill give the exam tomoro.how far away from it i am i dont know.but im going to give the uworld test 2 this saturday so i shall update my score here and hopefully i can get more insight into how far away i am.if by any chance by now you know how far away i am please do tell me.thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samren17 View Post
i took nbme 5 about 2 weeks back and nbme 6 on saturday(3 days back).in both tests i got 300/175. as this thread has aptly been titled i am also sick of studying and want to get done with it.so if i get around the 200's ill give the exam tomoro.how far away from it i am i dont know.but im going to give the uworld test 2 this saturday so i shall update my score here and hopefully i can get more insight into how far away i am.if by any chance by now you know how far away i am please do tell me.thanks.
Aw stay strong buddy! You can do it.

My advice will be, even though NBME is a good measure of your readiness, you have to understand that predictability of each NBME varies. I believe the latter forms are much more superior. Based on personal experience and from friends (bear in mind, this is pure observation, not a scientific comment whatsoever), I believe taken a week before the exam, NBME form 13-15 can predict your score +- 5 of your real score.

That being said, I also believe that when you have a burn-out episode, you should evaluate your studying pattern. You might need a new approach in your study. Based on personal experience, I had several burn-out episode during my steps preparation, list of the things I did to solve the burn-out is :
- Talking to a study advisor
- Using new material, in my case I had problem with Pathology, so I used Pathoma
- Using a private tutor

Hope that helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 03-14-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

Just took UWSA 1 got 520/224 !!!!
am I in a good shape? should I relax a little? or that doesn't mean anything cause it's not accurate??
my test is in 27 days
what do you guys think ???!!
I know nbme is more accurate but I can't afford to take it right now , I'm saving them for last after full revision.

please advice if UWSA over or underestimate. thank you!!

Last edited by younissmed; 03-14-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 03-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
Just took UWSA 1 got 520/224 !!!!
am I in a good shape? should I relax a little? or that doesn't mean anything cause it's not accurate??
my test is in 27 days
what do you guys think ???!!
I know nbme is more accurate but I can't afford to take it right now , I'm saving them for last after full revision.

please advice. thank you!!
For UWSA for step 1, based on personal experience it tend to overestimate by 20 points. And you are right NBME is much more accurate than UWSA. Whether you are ready for exam or not it'll depend on your target score. I think for now you can focus on UWorld and review the questions with FA. 27 days are enough to shoot your score for another 20 points if your studying habit is effective.

But again, only take the exam when your NBME score = your desired score. Otherwise postpone the exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dede (03-16-2013), younissmed (03-14-2013)



  #26  
Old 03-14-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

wow , 20 points is scary !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 03-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
wow , 20 points is scary !!!
It's a rough estimate, but I think it's better to prepare for the worst. Even for later forms of NBME, I would suggest to reduce the score by 10 points just to make sure you are absolutely ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 03-14-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

you're right, I actually took UWSA to give myself an idea about my situation , I haven't revised anything yet , I only studied once , & only did 10 blocks of UW & haven't revised them yet , so hopefully after I finish UW with revision ,i'll be alright,I'm actually shooting for 230+.
I just don't want to be giving myself a false hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 03-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
you're right, I actually took UWSA to give myself an idea about my situation , I haven't revised anything yet , I only studied once , & only did 10 blocks of UW & haven't revised them yet , so hopefully after I finish UW with revision ,i'll be alright,I'm actually shooting for 230+.
I just don't want to be giving myself a false hope.
Oh that's doable IMO. Do the UW blocks, review with FA. Supplement with Pathoma if you think you are lacking in pathology.

Make sure to do later forms of NBME, and also try to do the offline ones if you only want to do 1 online form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
younissmed (03-14-2013)
  #30  
Old 03-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 76
Threads: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Is NBME 7 not as predictable as 13 or 15?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 03-15-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 214
Threads: 29
Thanked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 72
Default

hey guys.just did uwa2 assesment and got 440/204.
2 weeks back on nbme 6 i got 260/165.
can i consider that as improvement.
i hope to take the exam in exactly 4 weeks time.
i will be happy making a 200+ score.
so my only question being,is it possible and what should i do other than FA and uworld.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 03-15-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpudge12 View Post
Is NBME 7 not as predictable as 13 or 15?
I believe the latters are more predictive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jpudge12 (03-15-2013)
  #33  
Old 03-15-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samren17 View Post
hey guys.just did uwa2 assesment and got 440/204.
2 weeks back on nbme 6 i got 260/165.
can i consider that as improvement.
i hope to take the exam in exactly 4 weeks time.
i will be happy making a 200+ score.
so my only question being,is it possible and what should i do other than FA and uworld.?
Uwsa's tend to overestimate by 20 points. Can you tell me how's your study plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 03-15-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

I've been reading about the prediction accuracy of UWSA ,& came down to the conclusion that UWSA is probably a piece of sh*t & predicts nothing , it under-predicted for some people & over-predicted for others .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35  
Old 03-15-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
I've been reading about the prediction accuracy of UWSA ,& came down to the conclusion that UWSA is probably a piece of sh*t & predicts nothing , it under-predicted for some people & over-predicted for others .
Well, i think for most people it over-predicts (empirical evidence only from tutoring some people) , but there might always be outliers for whom uwsa underpredict. What I did was i did nbme and uwsa back to back to simulate the real exam length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 03-15-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 214
Threads: 29
Thanked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramps View Post
Uwsa's tend to overestimate by 20 points. Can you tell me how's your study plan?
yeah so i figure my score is at around the 180's.

okay so ive done the kaplan videos and notes.i did kaptest earlier.
i did FA once (cover to cover).
now i do 2 blocks of Uworld and review them.and if i have anytime left i try to read pages from FA.
honestly im looking to get 200+.studying for so long has taken its toll on me.
i have exactly 30 days until i can give the exam.well technically i can postpone it for 3 months with the 1 time free thing but i dont want to.
would DIT help.and is there a way to get it without having to pay 800$ for it.
i would appreciate your input.thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37  
Old 03-15-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samren17 View Post
yeah so i figure my score is at around the 180's.

okay so ive done the kaplan videos and notes.i did kaptest earlier.
i did FA once (cover to cover).
now i do 2 blocks of Uworld and review them.and if i have anytime left i try to read pages from FA.
honestly im looking to get 200+.studying for so long has taken its toll on me.
i have exactly 30 days until i can give the exam.well technically i can postpone it for 3 months with the 1 time free thing but i dont want to.
would DIT help.and is there a way to get it without having to pay 800$ for it.
i would appreciate your input.thanks.
Okay, so from the feedback of your UWSA and from what you felt during the blocks, what do you think is your problem?
Personally, I don't recommend reading FA cover-to-cover as doing such IMO won't help as much as using it with UWorld blocks. I would recommend using Pathoma for your pathology supplement, as I myself am more a visual learner, I found it easier to use Pathoma than Goljan Audio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38  
Old 03-15-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 214
Threads: 29
Thanked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramps View Post
Okay, so from the feedback of your UWSA and from what you felt during the blocks, what do you think is your problem?
Personally, I don't recommend reading FA cover-to-cover as doing such IMO won't help as much as using it with UWorld blocks. I would recommend using Pathoma for your pathology supplement, as I myself am more a visual learner, I found it easier to use Pathoma than Goljan Audio.
i think my problem is memory.and when it boils down to the last 2 options.i kind of get it mixed up.but that i figure has more to do with repetition that anything.
yeah visual learning is easier.but wont a pathoma course take more than 2 weeks to do.and i assume the last 2 weeks before the exam is only mugging as much as possible.
so for the next 2 week i want to know the best way to boost my score as much as possible.from what i read online DIT is supposed to be good right?
im looking into pathoma as well though.thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39  
Old 03-15-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samren17 View Post
i think my problem is memory.and when it boils down to the last 2 options.i kind of get it mixed up.but that i figure has more to do with repetition that anything.
yeah visual learning is easier.but wont a pathoma course take more than 2 weeks to do.and i assume the last 2 weeks before the exam is only mugging as much as possible.
so for the next 2 week i want to know the best way to boost my score as much as possible.from what i read online DIT is supposed to be good right?
im looking into pathoma as well though.thanks.
I personally don't have experience using DIT, so I can't comment on that. But judging from your score I personally think there are missing points in your foundation. And I would suggest you to reinforce your foundation by using video lecture either Pathoma or DIT (don't re-watch Kaplan as it usually gets boring when you watch the same lecture twice). It took me 1 week to finish Pathoma, I watched in the highest speed and at night I did questions.

But the bottom line remains the same. Only take the exam when your Later forms NBME score = your desired score
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40  
Old 03-15-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 214
Threads: 29
Thanked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramps View Post
I personally don't have experience using DIT, so I can't comment on that. But judging from your score I personally think there are missing points in your foundation. And I would suggest you to reinforce your foundation by using video lecture either Pathoma or DIT (don't re-watch Kaplan as it usually gets boring when you watch the same lecture twice). It took me 1 week to finish Pathoma, I watched in the highest speed and at night I did questions.

But the bottom line remains the same. Only take the exam when your Later forms NBME score = your desired score
okay,will look into it.thanks for the advice.yeah i plan to give a few more nbme's before taking the exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41  
Old 03-16-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 100
Threads: 55
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to dede
Default

Hey There , thank u so much for posting this , I'm in the exact same boat as you guys ,, finished uw with a total score of 65/ but did a major mistake that I wasn't taking any notes then , only reading through ! And now I'm trying to review explanations - still dreading to take any Nmber (exam in 3 weeks ) but it is bcz I feel extremely week in biostatistics and biochem !!(( any suggestion or solution please ! I would very much appreciate it to the max
Good luck ppl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42  
Old 03-16-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default A little concern !!

I've just done finished another block of UW timed,unused & random & got 74% while the average score was 58%,it was a pretty tough one & I know this is a good percentage.
the problem is , although this is the highest score I got so far ,I didn't know most of the answers in that block directly ,I had to exclude the wrong answers & pick the one that sounded right ,you know the drill.
but I did that for a lot of answers.
my question is , is this a valid approach or I was just lucky??!!
& does this happen to you too guys???!!
I really appreciate you feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43  
Old 03-16-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
I've just done finished another block of UW timed,unused & random & got 74% while the average score was 58%,it was a pretty tough one & I know this is a good percentage.
the problem is , although this is the highest score I got so far ,I didn't know most of the answers in that block directly ,I had to exclude the wrong answers & pick the one that sounded right ,you know the drill.
but I did that for a lot of answers.
my question is , is this a valid approach or I was just lucky??!!
& does this happen to you too guys???!!
I really appreciate you feedback.
That's actually really common, most of the time it's an outlier, but it's too early to say whether it's improvement or not with just a block. Do more blocks and see your average. Increase of 2% in total average every week is actually quite good. good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
younissmed (03-16-2013)
  #44  
Old 03-17-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 204 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 214
Default

Just finished NBME 15 , Got 420/203
I guess UWSA was not that accurate.
what do you think of that NBME score ?? 24 days to the test .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45  
Old 03-18-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
Just finished NBME 15 , Got 420/203
I guess UWSA was not that accurate.
what do you think of that NBME score ?? 24 days to the test .
You are aiming for above 200 right? In 17 days try to add 10 points or more to your nbme score. Review usmle world or usr another qbank like usmlerx. Work your stamina and endurance. Do 5 blocks per day. Review should be quicker now you have seen the high yield pattern. If you got above 215 1 week before, do the exam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message






Reply

Tags
Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Depressed and demotivated sam2021 USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 11-19-2012 07:05 PM
Totally Lost hoor USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 08-13-2012 09:13 PM
Which Protein Lost! FreakingOut USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 11-20-2011 01:21 AM
Lost an IM interview FSUSTC IMG Residency Match Forum 4 11-03-2011 06:14 AM
burned sugar ricko335 USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 07-30-2011 09:38 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)