Just came back from exam - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 90
Smile Just came back from exam

Glad it's over but kinda upset at how difficult I found it. Even though I finished each block in 40 minutes and had enough time to go over all the questions again, I found the exam really tough.

Contrary to what I had heard going into the exam, FA didn't help much. In a block, I would be happy to get 5-6 straight recall stuff from FA. Exam was physio, patho, and pathophysio heavy. Very little biochem and only a few metabolic pathway questions...I was disappointed! Neuro was okay, about 10 questions. About 2-3 pharm questions in every section and even those were damn hard. 1 drug side effects they were asking weren't even in FA or Kaplan but I made an educated guess and got it right. The only thing which came straight out of FA was micro, and that was the easiest section for me. Other than that, everything was pretty damn tough. I had about 6-7 CT scans, 3-4 xrays. Both were doable given the scenario.

For about 30-40% of the questions, I made an educated guess after narrowing it down to 2 choices. My nbme scores were 240+ going into the exam but I have a shaky feeling about this. I can either get a 210 or a 250..who knows

Btw, is this a normal feeling? Feeling like you bombed it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aim_99 (04-06-2013), Doc4Step1 (04-03-2013), docusmle9 (04-03-2013), drdhruv (04-06-2013), fadi551 (04-03-2013), hope2015 (06-21-2013), med_ziva (04-20-2013), MedicalExaminer (04-03-2013), medstulife (04-04-2013), mulchandani161 (04-03-2013), mutant (04-03-2013), Nijhum (04-23-2013), npktun (04-03-2013), OMGStep (04-03-2013), swwal (04-20-2013), usbound (04-04-2013)



  #2  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Wow, saying that FA didn't help much- that's really amazing because almost everyone who wrote their "after exam experience" here claimed that FA was the key for a success in the exam. May I ask you how much time did you study for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Yep. I've read hundreds of experiences and also thought that FA would be key. But I don't know, maybe I got a not so typical exam? I actually knew FA really well. Read it atleast 4-5 times, some sections even more.

I hope the exam is curved because I seriously think I had a super difficult exam...I marked way too many questions in every block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-03-2013
fat1iscool's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 399
Threads: 45
Thanked 147 Times in 94 Posts
Reputation: 157
Default

Hey warfarin90, the way you're feeling right now is totally normal. I felt the same way, so much so that I had difficulty writing a thread about my exam experience!

Stay calm and think positively. The hardest part is over! You're done with the exam! Now only a short while till the results come out and then you can party!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat1iscool View Post
Hey warfarin90, the way you're feeling right now is totally normal. I felt the same way, so much so that I had difficulty writing a thread about my exam experience!

Stay calm and think positively. The hardest part is over! You're done with the exam! Now only a short while till the results come out and then you can party!!!
Thanks a lot for the support! Thing is I don't know what else I could have studied to get more questions right on this exam! Ah well, gave it my best! See you in the Step 2 forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-03-2013
mutant's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 142
Threads: 21
Thanked 82 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfarin90 View Post
Yep. I've read hundreds of experiences and also thought that FA would be key. But I don't know, maybe I got a not so typical exam? I actually knew FA really well. Read it atleast 4-5 times, some sections even more.

I hope the exam is curved because I seriously think I had a super difficult exam...I marked way too many questions in every block.
Yea ... that may be the case because lot of people say know your FA. Don't worry this is normal feeling I hope you will get a good score. I want to ask how was micro section.. is FA enough for micro, like you said?
__________________
What you seek is seeking you — Rumi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
Yea ... that may be the case because lot of people say know your FA. Don't worry this is normal feeling I hope you will get a good score. I want to ask how was micro section.. is FA enough for micro, like you said?
Yep. One thing FA was more than enough for was micro. Also it was enough for biochem, pharm. Only had 2 embryo questions in the whole exam! and FA was enough for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-03-2013
npktun's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 297
Threads: 23
Thanked 315 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 325
Default

did you used to pathoma or goljan for patho ?
__________________
256/262/passed/237/2016/need Visa/ 3 months USCE/ 1 Pub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by npktun View Post
did you used to pathoma or goljan for patho ?

I used both. My last reading of Goljan was 2-3 months ago. But Pathoma was sufficient to answer 90%+ of the patho questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hope2015 (06-21-2013), npktun (04-03-2013)
  #10  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Hi, did u do U world and did u find similarity on the how the q's were presented in the step
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basalganglia123 View Post
Hi, did u do U world and did u find similarity on the how the q's were presented in the step

Yep style was similar to UW and the concepts also for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
basalganglia123 (04-03-2013)
  #12  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 252
Threads: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

how did you study for pathophysiology ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezguy View Post
how did you study for pathophysiology ?

I did Goljan long time ago then did Pathoma (the videos). In the end, UW and kaplan physio helped the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 252
Threads: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

What did you use for CT and Xrays, what did they ask on CT etc ?. for Neuro is FA enough ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 118
Threads: 10
Thanked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfarin90 View Post
Glad it's over but kinda upset at how difficult I found it. Even though I finished each block in 40 minutes and had enough time to go over all the questions again, I found the exam really tough.

Contrary to what I had heard going into the exam, FA didn't help much. In a block, I would be happy to get 5-6 straight recall stuff from FA. Exam was physio, patho, and pathophysio heavy. Very little biochem and only a few metabolic pathway questions...I was disappointed! Neuro was okay, about 10 questions. About 2-3 pharm questions in every section and even those were damn hard. 1 drug side effects they were asking weren't even in FA or Kaplan but I made an educated guess and got it right. The only thing which came straight out of FA was micro, and that was the easiest section for me. Other than that, everything was pretty damn tough. I had about 6-7 CT scans, 3-4 xrays. Both were doable given the scenario.

For about 30-40% of the questions, I made an educated guess after narrowing it down to 2 choices. My nbme scores were 240+ going into the exam but I have a shaky feeling about this. I can either get a 210 or a 250..who knows

Btw, is this a normal feeling? Feeling like you bombed it?
just read your post, you can't even imagine how similar was my feeling right after exam, and they got worst with every week of expectation( for me expectation of death is worse then death). I am sure every thing will be ok, waiting good news from you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gikson View Post
just read your post, you can't even imagine how similar was my feeling right after exam, and they got worst with every week of expectation( for me expectation of death is worse then death). I am sure every thing will be ok, waiting good news from you!!
Good to know I'm not alone. But it's been 8 hours after the exam is over and I've counted about 8 stupid mistakes so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 40
Threads: 22
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Thank you for sharing your experience. How many anatomy questions did you get and were they out of FA or something super difficult? Was it GI, upper/lower limb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 118
Threads: 10
Thanked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfarin90 View Post
Good to know I'm not alone. But it's been 8 hours after the exam is over and I've counted about 8 stupid mistakes so far
Stop counting, what is done is done, you can't change anything at this point, except you'll drive yourself crazy. I also started counting the mistakes and stopped after a while. So just relax and have celebration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 148
Threads: 40
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

haii,,,i am yet to take step 1 exam,,i am planing to take in september,,,,i really dont know much of eligibility period,, can u pls say me is i am eliglible to exam in (aug-sep -oct)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 219
Threads: 44
Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 54
Default

grats on finishing ur exam! hope you get the score you wish for

was wondering, if the exam was more like NBMEs ( 50 questions in 65 minutes) or more like UW (46 questions)? and if you used the lab values page, is it more like NBME or UW?

another question.. to which NBME form can you compare your exam to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 103
Threads: 6
Thanked 44 Times in 36 Posts
Reputation: 54
Default

Congratulations on your exam!
Reading FA wasn't too useful for me either although in my case it was really helpful to build my own FA: tables, diagrams, pictures, etc.
FA format is correct, just too passive-learning for me
Books prepare you to QBanks and QBanks prepare you for the exam.
Cheer up and know you did your best effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 04-03-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ` Faith ` View Post
grats on finishing ur exam! hope you get the score you wish for

was wondering, if the exam was more like NBMEs ( 50 questions in 65 minutes) or more like UW (46 questions)? and if you used the lab values page, is it more like NBME or UW?

another question.. to which NBME form can you compare your exam to?

Same format as UW... I can't compare it to any nbme, i found the nbmes easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 04-04-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 15
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfarin90 View Post
Good to know I'm not alone. But it's been 8 hours after the exam is over and I've counted about 8 stupid mistakes so far
yea dont do that u gave it your best this will just make u depressed
__________________
Useful USMLE and Med School Information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 04-04-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 316
Threads: 17
Thanked 159 Times in 97 Posts
Reputation: 169
Default

Congratulations in doing the exam! I hope you get a good score! Be positive!

I hope I get an exam like yours, my strong points are physio, physiopatho and microbiology. Im very lousy with biochem and metabolic pathways, except for the very high yield and "crossroad" ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 04-04-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 219
Threads: 44
Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfarin90 View Post
Same format as UW... I can't compare it to any nbme, i found the nbmes easier.
NBMEs easier?!! Ur freaking me out =S
I just booked my test this morning for next week based on score 221 on form 12....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 04-04-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 90
Threads: 19
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 26
Default

did u do usmle R Qs and kaplanQs
what helped u most?
bcoz i read ur previous post ..u were seemed to be v well prepared
then where is the deficiency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 04-06-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 316
Threads: 17
Thanked 159 Times in 97 Posts
Reputation: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ` Faith ` View Post
NBMEs easier?!! Ur freaking me out =S
I just booked my test this morning for next week based on score 221 on form 12....
This information is very subjective, it is based on each one's experience of their study time and exam, and even more on what they find as easy and difficult.

That said... don't freak out for other people's opinion on the simulations or the actual exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Faith-USMLE (04-20-2013)
  #28  
Old 04-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 18
Threads: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default @Warfarin90

I had a similar experience earlier this week with my step 1.. the only difference is i dint complete my blocks in 40 mins went on till the very end. couldnt compare with the nbmes.. was more difficult.. a few of my friends who found the exam really hard got 240ish in step 1 .. lets hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 04-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 71
Threads: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to MiSeRy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumed View Post
I had a similar experience earlier this week with my step 1.. the only difference is i dint complete my blocks in 40 mins went on till the very end. couldnt compare with the nbmes.. was more difficult.. a few of my friends who found the exam really hard got 240ish in step 1 .. lets hope for the best.
Then those guys would've planned for 260+ :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 04-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

hey.. dont worry and pray tat got bless u with excellent scores..
could you plz tell me link where i can download pathoma videos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 04-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 18
Threads: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSeRy View Post
Then those guys would've planned for 260+ :P
Well looks like someone has opted for the right name in this forum

I meant as predicted by nbme .. Though the exam was way tougher.

Last edited by rumed; 04-20-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 04-20-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalu 88 View Post
hey.. dont worry and pray tat got bless u with excellent scores..
could you plz tell me link where i can download pathoma videos?
Hv been wondering same.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33  
Old 04-21-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 71
Threads: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to MiSeRy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumed View Post
Well looks like someone has opted for the right name in this forum

I meant as predicted by nbme .. Though the exam was way tougher.
Don't worry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just came back from Exam center. Doc4step1 Exam experience. Read on! Doc4Step1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 27 03-22-2013 07:14 AM
Back Pain Physical Exam meanmr.mustard USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 0 08-07-2012 11:13 AM
back from the exam..... laurier USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 09-25-2011 08:22 AM
Just back from the exam tunde michael USMLE Step 1 Forum 14 01-03-2011 01:24 AM
Back from exam achistikbenny USMLE Step 1 Forum 26 09-23-2010 02:43 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)