FA 2011 or 2013 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-16-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
First Aid FA 2011 or 2013

Yeah I know it's strange to ask but please can someone tell me why I should buy FA 2013 or should I still keep to my 2011 copy?
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 04-16-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 185
Threads: 58
Thanked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

2013>2011>2012 should be the ranking of all the first aid editions. 2012 is ranked last because it has the most errors, both factual and formatting. It has a long list of errata. 2013 has fixed most of those errors. It is also colored, unlike 2011. It also incorporated embryo to the systems, unlike 2011 and 2012. The paper is slightly better quality according to some students, although to me it all seemed the same. I say get 2013, unless your 2011 has notes. Nothing beats having your own notes written in a first aid book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (04-16-2013)
  #3  
Old 04-16-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballers View Post
2013>2011>2012 should be the ranking of all the first aid editions. 2012 is ranked last because it has the most errors, both factual and formatting. It has a long list of errata. 2013 has fixed most of those errors. It is also colored, unlike 2011. It also incorporated embryo to the systems, unlike 2011 and 2012. The paper is slightly better quality according to some students, although to me it all seemed the same. I say get 2013, unless your 2011 has notes. Nothing beats having your own notes written in a first aid book
Thanks friend!
So the main point is embryology and colored?
Any one with other points if not am still not so sure about going for the 2013.
Or someone wants to convince me.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-16-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 185
Threads: 58
Thanked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

yes..and i also forgot to add that they have aligned, bolded, and just really fixed the formatting of the book...this comes in handy when you want to organize information in your head and not try to figure out what info is under what subheading and stuff like that..and according to them, the 2013 has more "words" than the previous texts, so really they took their time to clarify the points they made in this edition...Not a problem if you know your stuff really well but if not, then 2013 is a good choice. I say you get 2013 ONLY ONLY ONLY if you don't have kaplan notes/qbank notes annotated to your 2011. If your 2011 book doesn't have anything on it, then YES get 2013!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-16-2013
Guest
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 60
Threads: 9
Thanked 37 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default

One thing to keep in mind is if you are using older versions of DIT or First Aid Express they reference the older books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-16-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylack View Post
One thing to keep in mind is if you are using older versions of DIT or First Aid Express they reference the older books.
Have not annotated it yet. Still so fresh.
@ Ballers, thanks once again. very informative.
At cylack, I have 2009 edition of DIT. And FA 2010 and 2011 can't seem to figure the pages out.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-16-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 31
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
Yeah I know it's strange to ask but please can someone tell me why I should buy FA 2013 or should I still keep to my 2011 copy?
I had same dilemma before getting FA and fortunately took advice from my friend and bought 2013 edition, it has much less errors ( almost none) compared to 2012.
Errata for 2012 is 29 pages and for 2013 only 6 :-) So now u choose.. i'm for 2013!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-17-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia04 View Post
I had same dilemma before getting FA and fortunately took advice from my friend and bought 2013 edition, it has much less errors ( almost none) compared to 2012.
Errata for 2012 is 29 pages and for 2013 only 6 :-) So now u choose.. i'm for 2013!
I have ordered the 2013 copy right now fom amazon.
Thanks guys. Any body have the six page corrections.
Pls let me have it.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ballers (04-17-2013)
  #9  
Old 04-17-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 185
Threads: 58
Thanked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
I have ordered the 2013 copy right now fom amazon.
Thanks guys. Any body have the six page corrections.
Pls let me have it.
its on the first aid website...i just google "first aid errata" and it pops up.

Good choice in ordering the 2013 first aid...Best of luck in your preparation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (04-17-2013)
  #10  
Old 04-17-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default Thank u again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballers View Post
its on the first aid website...i just google "first aid errata" and it pops up.

Good choice in ordering the 2013 first aid...Best of luck in your preparation!
Wow I have to thank u again. I got the errata in PDF right now.
So cuul. 6 pages nice colors it just makes learning superb.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 04-17-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 31
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
I have ordered the 2013 copy right now fom amazon.
Thanks guys. Any body have the six page corrections.
Pls let me have it.
http://www.firstaidteam.com/updates-and-corrections you can download it freely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 04-17-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 15
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

yea man honestly i hate 2012, its taking me so long to fix all the error feel liek asking them for a refund! if i didn't have so many notes i would replace it with the 2013 one
__________________
Useful USMLE and Med School Information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ballers (04-17-2013)
  #13  
Old 04-17-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 185
Threads: 58
Thanked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

same here man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 04-18-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Am fortunate to have decided with ur inputs then.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 10-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 71
Threads: 41
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Hey so i have FA 2011 with notes in it...my own and from DIT 2012....im planning on taking step sometime in 2014(April/may), should i get FA 2013 or just stick with 2011???? Please help im so confused!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 10-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 185
Threads: 58
Thanked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla937 View Post
Hey so i have FA 2011 with notes in it...my own and from DIT 2012....im planning on taking step sometime in 2014(April/may), should i get FA 2013 or just stick with 2011???? Please help im so confused!!
if your first aid 2011 has notes in it then you should stick to it...having the newest edition of first aid isn't as big a deal as people like to make..im talking from experience now...plus the advantage of using the first aid 2011 is that the dit 2011 is a lot shorter so you can complete dit in 15 days....for first aid 2013, the dit 2013 is not only extra long but also focuses on another book besides the first aid...so if i was you, id use 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Layla937 (10-01-2013)
  #17  
Old 10-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 71
Threads: 41
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballers View Post
if your first aid 2011 has notes in it then you should stick to it...having the newest edition of first aid isn't as big a deal as people like to make..im talking from experience now...plus the advantage of using the first aid 2011 is that the dit 2011 is a lot shorter so you can complete dit in 15 days....for first aid 2013, the dit 2013 is not only extra long but also focuses on another book besides the first aid...so if i was you, id use 2011

thank u so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
First-Aid, USMLE-Books

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dit 2011 sukar For Sale & Wanted Items 8 03-13-2012 08:11 AM
willing to pay - need swap from cs in jan.2011 to anywhere before 5th nov 2011 Katharina Sch. USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 1 10-05-2011 09:34 AM
CS date Swap oct 4th 2011 for anytime after oct 15th 2011 Niko USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 1 09-14-2011 07:24 AM
Looking for USMLE Step 1 study partner in online-2011-2013 copper111 USMLE Step 1 Study Partners 0 07-12-2011 01:51 AM
Help regarding new edition of kaplan notes 2011 and first aid 2011 Xgauravx USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 01-08-2011 10:27 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)