Just did NBME 12 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 125
Threads: 24
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 40
Arrow Just did NBME 12

Hi all, please advice. My exam is in 6weeks and I have just done my nbme form 12, my score was 205.
Oh my, this is really low.My target is 260, what can I do to improve my score.Please advice.I have been reading on and off for like 13months, I feel my retention is not good. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 04-28-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 44
Threads: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

try doing more QBanks. they have really helped me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-28-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Solidify ur concepts well from FA and Kaplan. Becos of ur time left u can do that through qbanks but at least find out why u got that low. Is it forgotten concepts or wat?
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-28-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 125
Threads: 24
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 40
Default

Thank you pple.I think it is forgetting the concepts but yes am reading FA to solidify my concepts and also try to memorise some key facts

thanks pple and good luck with your studying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-28-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 457
Threads: 62
Thanked 276 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 286
Default

first of all you need to look at your mistakes and the reason. 205 means you must have made close to 50 mistakes. Now if those mistakes are because you did not understand the question or did not know, then it is serious. But the second reason is that you knew still u made mistake, means that you need to memorize more effectively. For that, read the topics and memorize really well so that in actual test you don't spend to much time thinking about the choices. Basically the idea is to cover your weakness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
neha_subh (04-28-2013), shima (04-28-2013)
  #6  
Old 04-28-2013
neha_subh's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 209
Threads: 18
Thanked 112 Times in 75 Posts
Reputation: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0101 View Post
first of all you need to look at your mistakes and the reason. 205 means you must have made close to 50 mistakes. Now if those mistakes are because you did not understand the question or did not know, then it is serious. But the second reason is that you knew still u made mistake, means that you need to memorize more effectively. For that, read the topics and memorize really well so that in actual test you don't spend to much time thinking about the choices. Basically the idea is to cover your weakness
drsurge same problem is with me as you have,unable to recal most of material during test,dont wory try to memorize material from first aid without on off.i got same score in nbme 12 as you did,my aim is around 250+ lets try to do our best.

doctor kdm0101 this problem is with me, unable to recall most of material during test.i revised kaplan notes lot of time but with time again i forget material.now i wil try to memorize all stuf from first aid.thank you so much for nice sugestion
__________________
lets kick some doors open and help each other to reach our destinies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by neha_subh; 04-28-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-28-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 44
Threads: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

meh, not a fan of first aid. last time i looked at first aid was 4 months ago and it was just a quick skim. i barely know that book. i got 240 on nbme12 just from doing qbanks.

oh yeah, and the questions i did miss on nbme12 are not found in first aid anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-30-2013
usbound's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 121
Threads: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
meh, not a fan of first aid. last time i looked at first aid was 4 months ago and it was just a quick skim. i barely know that book. i got 240 on nbme12 just from doing qbanks.

oh yeah, and the questions i did miss on nbme12 are not found in first aid anyway.
thats unusual and cool! which qbanks did you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-30-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 44
Threads: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbound View Post
thats unusual and cool! which qbanks did you use?
It's actually quite common at my school to have students score 250+ without First Aid. Plus, check out this recent thread: Step 1 Experience - 261

I did UWorld (done), the First Aid QBank (60%), and COMQuest (20%). I would also count the NBME's as a qbank as answers and explanations are available for all except #15.

Bottom line is that there is a lot I don't know from First Aid, but those are not the questions that I'm missing, so I haven't gone back to it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-01-2013
usbound's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 121
Threads: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
It's actually quite common at my school to have students score 250+ without First Aid. Plus, check out this recent thread: Step 1 Experience - 261

I did UWorld (done), the First Aid QBank (60%), and COMQuest (20%). I would also count the NBME's as a qbank as answers and explanations are available for all except #15.

Bottom line is that there is a lot I don't know from First Aid, but those are not the questions that I'm missing, so I haven't gone back to it yet.
Oh yeah if that works for you, then ypu dont need fa. But I personally like to have all my info consolidated in one place. And first aid does that perfectly.
And I didnt really find all the answers to nbme 13 online. Cuz they're so many different opinions. how can we know which ones are right for sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 05-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 44
Threads: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbound View Post
And I didnt really find all the answers to nbme 13 online. Cuz they're so many different opinions. how can we know which ones are right for sure?
It shows you the questions you've missed, which you can then figure out with some research. I usually check with qbanks, because chances are, that question appeared somewhere in a qbank, or the concept being tested appeared in a qbank. 198/200 questions on any given NBME I've taken are just questions/concepts that have already appeared in a qbank.

It's easier to figure out all the correct NBME answers if you've missed fewer. I do know all the answers to NBME 13 so if you have any questions, just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usbound (05-04-2013)
  #12  
Old 05-04-2013
usbound's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 121
Threads: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
It shows you the questions you've missed, which you can then figure out with some research. I usually check with qbanks, because chances are, that question appeared somewhere in a qbank, or the concept being tested appeared in a qbank. 198/200 questions on any given NBME I've taken are just questions/concepts that have already appeared in a qbank.

It's easier to figure out all the correct NBME answers if you've missed fewer. I do know all the answers to NBME 13 so if you have any questions, just ask.
oh thanks, i missed seeing this message earlier. and yeah i was doing the online research just for the ones i got wrong obviously. but since you know the answers, i can ask you...so much easier thanks!
there was a question about a 48 year old female experiencing severe abdominal pain during aerobics, enlarged ovary, asking us where was the abnormality located. and options were a bunch of ligaments.

another one....i think this was meant to be really easy but i twisted it in my head and got it wrong. guy concerned about his weight, mainly abdominal girth increased, possibly metabolic syndrome. what was the tg, ffa and hdl level...is the answer option c?

PS: thanks a lot for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 05-04-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 100
Threads: 16
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

just focus on u world note and first aid plus keep doing kaplan and u world questions.. u will ace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
NBME-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regular NBME versus Expanded Feedback NBME medhelp USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 4 Weeks Ago 08:29 AM
performance fell from nbme 13 to nbme 7 usmlemydream USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 11-10-2012 07:03 AM
Free NBME/USMLE CD and NBME anatomie USMLE Step 3 Forum 6 05-21-2012 12:03 PM
NBME offline versus NBME online jarcelin USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads 2 02-14-2011 09:01 AM
NBME forms? How do you sign up on the NBME website? dazzles USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 09-05-2010 02:40 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)