Got My Score STEP 1: 238! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 18
Threads: 5
Thanked 59 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 69
Smile Got My Score STEP 1: 238!

Hi everyone! Today I got my 1 step score: 238. I'm so happy and proud of it.
I'm IMG and resident in radiology, and It actually was really difficult to mix residency with Step 1 study. Everyday, for six month about, from Monday to Friday, I woke up 5:00/6:00 am to study, and after, when I was back from Hospital, in the afternoon/evening, I continued to study. I spent weekend to study too (but i go out with my friend in the evening). That's way I'm so proud of it...because I never gave up, when I was extremely tired...I continued to pursue my dream! I hope not to be too rhetorical! it's only an exam after all! But I'm so happy!
So, my first advice is, be always motivated! Never give up!

I have studied, as just mentioned, for six months. I started to follow Kaplan courses video...I followed Biochemestry, Embriology§ anatomy, Microbiology§ Immunology (not very useful actually), Pharmacology ( i din't follow Physiology and behavioral science course...I didn't have time for them!). At the mean time, I started to read the First Aid and using the Kaplan Qbook...just to be "accustomed" to questions.

When I finished to follow the kaplan courses and Kaplan Qbook (after 1 month and an half about)
I started to take USMLE world questions. Why not Kaplan Qbank? Because my friend suggested it . He said " If you have time do kaplan, but first do UW.". And he was right of course! When I ended it, My score was 60%...pretty good I felt...but it wasn't important...because important is to study and study again questions you've taken. go over and over again questions and answers both. This is the best advice I can give to you! Don't be sick of scores and percentages!

So I continued to study UW questions/answers and First aid (over and over again, I don't remember how many times...). And then I wrote notes on my First aid book.

Last Month and an half I taken Kaplan Qbank...I coverd 90%, because I didn't have time for more questions. My score/percentage was 70%.

Last week...very, very important, I think it was decisive, i did 6 things:

First: I stayed home for 7 day (no hospital!)
second: I told my friends/parents/brothers to not bother me
third: I took a deep breath
fourth: I went over all my notes and First aid...especially my weak subjects ( Biostatistics, Histology).
fifth: I arranged everything for localizing my test center, Hotel and so on.
sixth: (day before) I went to supermarket and buy what I needed for my lunch

My approach to the exam I think it was wrong, because I've not slept so good...I was too nervous. I slept 4 hours only ( big mistake!). Nevertheless I found forces to do my exam in the end. After the first block, when I didnt feel fully concentrated and questions seemed to be too difficult to me, I "quietly" did my examination . Time wasn't never a problem, I left each block 5-8 minutes just to go back to the marked questions.
When I ended the exam I was very tired, but I felt to have passed it. The day after I met my friend and went out to drink a beer and eat a pizza.

So, this is my experience. I hope it would be useful to many IMGs and USMLE 1step takers. ah, last things: I never used Goljan. Why? because my friend told to not use it . I don't know whether It's good. In my view, FA, UW and Kaplan courses and Qbank are sufficient. Important is to take more questions as possible and see answers...Scores, percentages and so on are not important. They will increase if you 'll study and never be discouraged.
Last: I've never taken NBME, cause time, although people told is a good score predictor...maybe, I don't know. I used some scores predictors, based on Kaplan and UW percentage, and my predicted score was about 236-246.

That's it...Good luck to everyone! Arrivederci (goodbye)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aish (05-01-2013), American MD (05-03-2013), asioqua (05-01-2013), asmz34 (05-16-2013), docsdr (05-13-2013), dr rookie (05-12-2013), Dr.Tiger (05-01-2013), DrGaliver (05-12-2013), drszee (05-01-2013), ehtisham (05-01-2013), emmax2alfa (05-12-2013), fadi551 (05-04-2013), hope2015 (06-20-2013), jpudge12 (05-01-2013), maxstop (05-10-2013), MedicalExaminer (05-01-2013), mulchandani161 (05-01-2013), nsesereso (05-01-2013), platelet (05-01-2013), sami trailer (05-02-2013), swwal (05-02-2013), tai35 (05-01-2013), URLMD (05-02-2013), usbound (05-02-2013), vrush_1003 (05-12-2013), water (05-09-2013), wenskyrose (05-02-2013)



  #2  
Old 05-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 76
Threads: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Congrats!!! What were your NBME and UWSA scores??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drShark85 (05-02-2013)
  #3  
Old 05-01-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpudge12 View Post
Congrats!!! What were your NBME and UWSA scores??
He never took nbme!
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jpudge12 (05-01-2013)
 
  #4  
Old 05-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 76
Threads: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Yea just read that lol....ballsy this guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-02-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 18
Threads: 5
Thanked 59 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 69
Default

Thank everyone for thanks! I wish you all the best...and if you have any doubts, don't hesitate to contact me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-08-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 17
Threads: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default hiii dr shark

first congrats in ur great score ...
i need ur advice .... i finished fa and uworld 2 times dont know what to do u still feel that a lot of informatio i already know is evaporating ,,, please can u advice me what to do and what is the best for me in my last 2 months i did an nbme 3 months ago i got 206
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drShark85 (05-10-2013)
  #7  
Old 05-09-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 25
Threads: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

Congrats! That's a really good score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drShark85 (05-10-2013)
  #8  
Old 05-09-2013
melgal7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 45
Threads: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Dude, even Chuck Norris couldn't pull that off! Much respect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drShark85 (05-10-2013)
  #9  
Old 05-09-2013
Bandroid's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Congratulations..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drShark85 (05-10-2013)
  #10  
Old 05-10-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 18
Threads: 5
Thanked 59 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasem26 View Post
first congrats in ur great score ...
i need ur advice .... i finished fa and uworld 2 times dont know what to do u still feel that a lot of informatio i already know is evaporating ,,, please can u advice me what to do and what is the best for me in my last 2 months i did an nbme 3 months ago i got 206
I think u could try to do kaplan qbank (in less than one month you can end it). At the mean time I advice you to continue to study FA+UW.. u still have a lot of time to do that and u can increase your score!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 05-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 51
Threads: 4
Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Default Is 238 a good score?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drShark85 View Post
Hi everyone! Today I got my 1 step score: 238. I'm so happy and proud of it.
I'm IMG and resident in radiology, and It actually was really difficult to mix residency with Step 1 study. Everyday, for six month about, from Monday to Friday, I woke up 5:00/6:00 am to study, and after, when I was back from Hospital, in the afternoon/evening, I continued to study. I spent weekend to study too (but i go out with my friend in the evening). That's way I'm so proud of it...because I never gave up, when I was extremely tired...I continued to pursue my dream! I hope not to be too rhetorical! it's only an exam after all! But I'm so happy!
So, my first advice is, be always motivated! Never give up!

I have studied, as just mentioned, for six months. I started to follow Kaplan courses video...I followed Biochemestry, Embriology§ anatomy, Microbiology§ Immunology (not very useful actually), Pharmacology ( i din't follow Physiology and behavioral science course...I didn't have time for them!). At the mean time, I started to read the First Aid and using the Kaplan Qbook...just to be "accustomed" to questions.

When I finished to follow the kaplan courses and Kaplan Qbook (after 1 month and an half about)
I started to take USMLE world questions. Why not Kaplan Qbank? Because my friend suggested it . He said " If you have time do kaplan, but first do UW.". And he was right of course! When I ended it, My score was 60%...pretty good I felt...but it wasn't important...because important is to study and study again questions you've taken. go over and over again questions and answers both. This is the best advice I can give to you! Don't be sick of scores and percentages!

So I continued to study UW questions/answers and First aid (over and over again, I don't remember how many times...). And then I wrote notes on my First aid book.

Last Month and an half I taken Kaplan Qbank...I coverd 90%, because I didn't have time for more questions. My score/percentage was 70%.

Last week...very, very important, I think it was decisive, i did 6 things:

First: I stayed home for 7 day (no hospital!)
second: I told my friends/parents/brothers to not bother me
third: I took a deep breath
fourth: I went over all my notes and First aid...especially my weak subjects ( Biostatistics, Histology).
fifth: I arranged everything for localizing my test center, Hotel and so on.
sixth: (day before) I went to supermarket and buy what I needed for my lunch

My approach to the exam I think it was wrong, because I've not slept so good...I was too nervous. I slept 4 hours only ( big mistake!). Nevertheless I found forces to do my exam in the end. After the first block, when I didnt feel fully concentrated and questions seemed to be too difficult to me, I "quietly" did my examination . Time wasn't never a problem, I left each block 5-8 minutes just to go back to the marked questions.
When I ended the exam I was very tired, but I felt to have passed it. The day after I met my friend and went out to drink a beer and eat a pizza.

So, this is my experience. I hope it would be useful to many IMGs and USMLE 1step takers. ah, last things: I never used Goljan. Why? because my friend told to not use it . I don't know whether It's good. In my view, FA, UW and Kaplan courses and Qbank are sufficient. Important is to take more questions as possible and see answers...Scores, percentages and so on are not important. They will increase if you 'll study and never be discouraged.
Last: I've never taken NBME, cause time, although people told is a good score predictor...maybe, I don't know. I used some scores predictors, based on Kaplan and UW percentage, and my predicted score was about 236-246.

That's it...Good luck to everyone! Arrivederci (goodbye)!
Sry to ask I'm new , is 238 a good score ? What residencies u are able to choose by 238 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drShark85 (05-12-2013)
  #12  
Old 05-12-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

All residencies!
U needed to be competitive by getting other credentials in good standing.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrGaliver (05-12-2013)
  #13  
Old 05-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 51
Threads: 4
Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Default Good to hear that

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
All residencies!
U needed to be competitive by getting other credentials in good standing.
Wish u the best and I'm happy to hear that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drShark85 (05-12-2013), nsesereso (05-13-2013)



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High CK score to overcome Low Step 1 Score! sabarishg USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 23 01-30-2017 06:46 PM
usmle world score and prediction of step 2 ck score dhanvanthri80 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 8 06-10-2016 07:32 AM
UWSA score How to corelate to real exam score wsams USMLE Step 3 Forum 1 06-13-2013 04:53 AM
NBME Step 3 Assessment Does not Predict Step 3 Score? DrSeddik USMLE Step 3 Forum 3 05-29-2012 09:56 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)