My chances of getting residency - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-10-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Help My chances of getting residency

Help needed

I am an IMG, I didnt clear my first attempt at step 1. My 2nd attempt i scored 205. I haven't given my CK and CS as yet. I am planning to do an externship in the US as well. Visa is not an issue. What are my chances of matching? Sincerely?

Help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 05-10-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Date of graduation?
Residency u aspire for?
Research? Let us know ur credential fully pls.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to traumaresearch
Default IM Match Chances, Input please

Hey Guys, I am interested in knowing what you guys think my chances might be of matching into a Average or Slightly above average University Program for IM...

US IMG.
Step 1: 219.
Step 2 CK: 240
Step 2CS: Pass 1st time.

2 years of USCE
3 Months of Radiology Electives with Strong LORs from Chairman and Vice Chairman.
Additional LOR from Trauma Surgery Research
2 Years of Research (1.5 years in Vascular Radiology Research) as a Vascular Radiology Clinical Research Scientist.
2 Years of work experience on Wall street
5 Years of work experience as a U.S. Marines Corps, Service member with 2 tours of combat and multiple service medals.

3 Publications, 4 Presentations at national conferences

I appreciate your opinions and greatly value your input.. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 05-12-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaresearch View Post
Hey Guys, I am interested in knowing what you guys think my chances might be of matching into a Average or Slightly above average University Program for IM...

US IMG.
Step 1: 219.
Step 2 CK: 240
Step 2CS: Pass 1st time.

2 years of USCE
3 Months of Radiology Electives with Strong LORs from Chairman and Vice Chairman.
Additional LOR from Trauma Surgery Research
2 Years of Research (1.5 years in Vascular Radiology Research) as a Vascular Radiology Clinical Research Scientist.
2 Years of work experience on Wall street
5 Years of work experience as a U.S. Marines Corps, Service member with 2 tours of combat and multiple service medals.

3 Publications, 4 Presentations at national conferences

I appreciate your opinions and greatly value your input.. Thank you so much.

your chance for radiology is great. I MEAN GREAT.

DONT LOOSE YOUR CHANCE OF BEING A RADIOLOGIST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
traumaresearch (05-12-2013)
  #5  
Old 05-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to traumaresearch
Default

Shima,

Do you seriously think I could still have a shot at RADS? I was told by other IMG's not to even bother. The Chairman up here told me to apply because he thinks I have a good chance of getting in... I wasn't sure what to think based on my peers recommendations...
Any recommendations of where I should apply to?
I am very grateful for your encouragement... I was wondering, why do you think I have a great chance to get into radiology, my Step 1 is a 219...?
Please advise.. Thank you so much! Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shima (05-13-2013)
  #6  
Old 05-13-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaresearch View Post
Shima,

Do you seriously think I could still have a shot at RADS? I was told by other IMG's not to even bother. The Chairman up here told me to apply because he thinks I have a good chance of getting in... I wasn't sure what to think based on my peers recommendations...
Any recommendations of where I should apply to?
I am very grateful for your encouragement... I was wondering, why do you think I have a great chance to get into radiology, my Step 1 is a 219...?
Please advise.. Thank you so much! Dan
dear Dan,

having electives, LORs in Radiology is one factor of matching, like huge one.
I would apply to all IMG friendly programs and places you have lots from.
last year some peeps from SGU with marks like you but lors all matched to radiology.

try, UPMC, Cleveland, DMC, UCLA, NYU, but apply everywhere,
your peers are not your true peers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
npktun (05-13-2013), traumaresearch (05-14-2013)
  #7  
Old 05-19-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
dear Dan,

having electives, LORs in Radiology is one factor of matching, like huge one.
I would apply to all IMG friendly programs and places you have lots from.
last year some peeps from SGU with marks like you but lors all matched to radiology.

try, UPMC, Cleveland, DMC, UCLA, NYU, but apply everywhere,
your peers are not your true peers

NYU is NOT IMG-friendly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 51
Threads: 4
Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
your chance for radiology is great. I MEAN GREAT.

DONT LOOSE YOUR CHANCE OF BEING A RADIOLOGIST
With 219 in step 1 ? Does he still have a high chance ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-19-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAshkan View Post
With 219 in step 1 ? Does he still have a high chance ?
I'm not sure where shima takes her sources from...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to traumaresearch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAshkan View Post
With 219 in step 1 ? Does he still have a high chance ?
I thought the same thing DrAshkan, thats why I was applying to internal since I think I have a realistically higher chance of getting a descent IM spot over Radiology.. Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 05-19-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaresearch View Post
I thought the same thing DrAshkan, thats why I was applying to internal since I think I have a realistically higher chance of getting a descent IM spot over Radiology.. Daniel
Fact is, no one here can tell you what is going to happen. They can tell you what is more probable, but in the end you will have to decide if you want to take the chance and go for Radiology or if you want to be safe and apply for IM. I am not sure if it is possible to try both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by val7 View Post
I'm not sure where shima takes her sources from...
he has LOR from electives.

I take my stats from other forum and many friends on facebook.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by val7 View Post
NYU is NOT IMG-friendly!
is Carib_IMG friendly. check the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 05-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to traumaresearch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by val7 View Post
Fact is, no one here can tell you what is going to happen. They can tell you what is more probable, but in the end you will have to decide if you want to take the chance and go for Radiology or if you want to be safe and apply for IM. I am not sure if it is possible to try both?
I realize that. I knew going to a foreign school might put me in this predicament, so I am definitely comfortable with the potential outcome here of having to do IM. I have looked into applying for both and it is definitely possible. I think I will take my chances at Rads at the programs I performed research and electives at, and try IM everywhere else. I strongly believe with my Vascular Radiology research I have a chance of getting Cardiology potentially in the future which is definitely a nice combination of medicine, procedures, and cardiac imaging.

I am hopeful if I apply extensively to IM I may land a position at a reputable program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 05-19-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
he has LOR from electives.

I take my stats from other forum and many friends on facebook.,
everyone has LORs... come on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 05-19-2013
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaresearch View Post
I realize that. I knew going to a foreign school might put me in this predicament, so I am definitely comfortable with the potential outcome here of having to do IM. I have looked into applying for both and it is definitely possible. I think I will take my chances at Rads at the programs I performed research and electives at, and try IM everywhere else. I strongly believe with my Vascular Radiology research I have a chance of getting Cardiology potentially in the future which is definitely a nice combination of medicine, procedures, and cardiac imaging.

I am hopeful if I apply extensively to IM I may land a position at a reputable program.

Sounds like a very good plan!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaresearch View Post
I thought the same thing DrAshkan, thats why I was applying to internal since I think I have a realistically higher chance of getting a descent IM spot over Radiology.. Daniel
I am not saying do not apply to IM.
Apply go to all the interviews, but rank Rads number 1-5.

I promise you you will match.

apply 100 IM programs that take 224 and lower on step 1. and 50 Rads,

remember you have the LOR for rads and research, something people wish they had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by val7 View Post
everyone has LORs... come on
he has LORs from US Radiologist.

off course everyone has LOR.

I have IM, PEds, FM, OBGYN, Surgery. ER from US PD and attending but not radiologist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 05-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to traumaresearch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
I am not saying do not apply to IM.
Apply go to all the interviews, but rank Rads number 1-5.

I promise you you will match.

apply 100 IM programs that take 224 and lower on step 1. and 50 Rads,

remember you have the LOR for rads and research, something people wish they had.
Shima,
Do you happen to know of which IM Programs take a score of 224 and below? Please advise... Thank you so much!
Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 05-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to traumaresearch
Default

Please PM me if possible. Thank you so much! Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

if i had 1 US LOR from radiologist i would so apply to rads,

i know some people last match, marks same as mine. had 1-2 interview for ortho, anthes, rads, gensurg
got the 1st choice. \

In my opinion primary care is more competitive these days.

this is because many IMGs are scoring 240+ and have USCE LOR and apply wide and broad. they go to like 15-30 IV filling the IV dates for others with less mark who are limited to apply to IM/PED/FM due to lack of USCE and LOR .
PD/ PC grant interview based on USMLE, 240+ get it first.

this leaves many IMG with limited IV and a huge competition
looking the forum and writting down people marks , in the past 3 month, majority of people on here scored 240+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaresearch View Post
Shima,
Do you happen to know of which IM Programs take a score of 224 and below? Please advise... Thank you so much!
Daniel
Danny
what school do you go.
I rather on here.
liston you have from now till end of aug to find out.

I would personally sit down and look at frieda and search every program. also if you tell me what school we can see where your classmates matched and go on from there.
did you attend school in europe/middle east, the country with sands and nobels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 05-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to traumaresearch
Default

I went to school in the Carribean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaresearch View Post
I went to school in the Carribean...
please tell me Cali/NY approved.
if so you are walking on water my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 05-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to traumaresearch
Default

The school if approved in 47 states including NY, not cali until 2 years from now...... Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaresearch View Post
The school if approved in 47 states including NY, not cali until 2 years from now...... Dan

thank god.

St. Barnabas NJ radiology
Medical College GA, Radiology
St joseph mercy, MI rads

you will match for sure to rads to any of these above. for IM try

St John mercy, MO
the above for Rads and anywhere your allumni from school matched.



you are golden my friend, golden. I say 10000% matched. I promise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 05-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to traumaresearch
Default

If that is the case I will prob apply to 100 Rads, 50 IM, and 10 Prelim Surg as an extreme backup just in case.... I sure hope it all works out. Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 05-19-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaresearch View Post
If that is the case I will prob apply to 100 Rads, 50 IM, and 10 Prelim Surg as an extreme backup just in case.... I sure hope it all works out. Dan
apply to more IM, 100 more IM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Match-Probability

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chances of IM residency without US IM LOR rumed IMG Residency Match Forum 13 06-26-2013 02:30 AM
My chances for IM residency?? madhu88 IMG Residency Match Forum 2 09-27-2012 11:29 AM
228/218 My chances of getting IM residency? sekhu IMG Residency Match Forum 7 05-29-2011 03:54 AM
What are my chances for residency? bangbong2000 IMG/FMG Forum 4 05-15-2011 01:09 AM
chances of getting residency dakshmalhotra IMG Residency Match Forum 1 12-15-2010 08:57 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)