My feelings after the exam; Is it normal? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 12
Threads: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Unhappy My feelings after the exam; Is it normal?

I don't know if its normal but there are 2 things that bother me now that am done with step 1 and waiting for the score

1) I left the Prometric center feeling really really bad, feeling like I failed the test. It's actually very depressing.

2) I couldn't, and i still can't remember more than 30 q's I had on the test. The only thing i remember is that all blocks had a lot of genetic and pharmacology questions.

Is that normal? did anyone feel the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 10-27-2010
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 753
Threads: 106
Thanked 2,166 Times in 464 Posts
Reputation: 2214
Smile That's completely normal

Your feelings are completely normal.

I felt exactly the same after my exam and then I received my 99 results.

The exam experience is painful to the mind and therefore it's subconsciously suppressed and that's why you don't remember the questions.

You should celebrate your achievement! You did finish one of the most difficult exams you'll ever take in your career.

We'll be waiting for the good news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
riya10 (09-06-2011)
  #3  
Old 09-05-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee-usmle View Post
Your feelings are completely normal.

I felt exactly the same after my exam and then I received my 99 results.

The exam experience is painful to the mind and therefore it's subconsciously suppressed and that's why you don't remember the questions.

You should celebrate your achievement! You did finish one of the most difficult exams you'll ever take in your career.

We'll be waiting for the good news

yep...I'm having the same feeling..1 more week till results...p.s it's called repression(unconscious) suppression is conscious forgetting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-05-2011
qurat21's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 623
Threads: 62
Thanked 287 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 297
Default

hey we re in the same boat...
i gave test on 17th august n xpect result on this wednesday
my case was exactly the opposite i felt so good after giving the test n i remembered the easy breezy questions only... n ws so happy...
but as the time passed i started getting jettery feelings.... now i dnt even remember hw the test was
i really wonder im stupid to xpect a good result..
n reading xperieces posted by other members i see them getting the scores same as their nbmes but in my case i gave atleast 4 nbmes 3 weeks before my due date of test n then kept on studying hard though i felt i improved but still.....im getting night mares
seriously its a terrible feeling
im trying to overcome this..:sorry:
n worst of all the posts where people say though they performed well in nbme but they failed to do so in test..eeee!!!! tht freaks me out!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-05-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 132
Threads: 1
Thanked 120 Times in 51 Posts
Reputation: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qurat21 View Post
hey we re in the same boat...
i gave test on 17th august n xpect result on this wednesday
my case was exactly the opposite i felt so good after giving the test n i remembered the easy breezy questions only... n ws so happy...
but as the time passed i started getting jettery feelings.... now i dnt even remember hw the test was
i really wonder im stupid to xpect a good result..
n reading xperieces posted by other members i see them getting the scores same as their nbmes but in my case i gave atleast 4 nbmes 3 weeks before my due date of test n then kept on studying hard though i felt i improved but still.....im getting night mares
seriously its a terrible feeling
im trying to overcome this..:sorry:
n worst of all the posts where people say though they performed well in nbme but they failed to do so in test..eeee!!!! tht freaks me out!!!!!!!!
U're not stupid to expect a good result. If u felt satisfied right after the exam, it's because u did well in all likelihood. At least that is what my experience, and that of some of my friends says. I didn't feel that great after the exam, but i was still kinda satisfied with my performance. Can't help the nightmares and jitters one gets in anticipation of the result, but try to stay calm and pray. Inshallah u'll get a great score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
qurat21 (09-05-2011)
  #6  
Old 09-06-2011
drnirajmavani's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 268
Threads: 14
Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts
Reputation: 113
Default

I mfeeling the same... Also wonderin hw many
ques do we need to ans correctly (approx) to
reach 99... If som1 cld ans dis que, it may help us predict our scores...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-06-2011
qurat21's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 623
Threads: 62
Thanked 287 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnirajmavani View Post
I mfeeling the same... Also wonderin hw many
ques do we need to ans correctly (approx) to
reach 99... If som1 cld ans dis que, it may help us predict our scores...
but i really wonder the answers i think they were 100% correct if they were really correct!!!!!
i always had this problem when i gave nbme i xpected a good score but at the end the score was far below my xpectations...
we re jus getting crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-06-2011
drnirajmavani's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 268
Threads: 14
Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts
Reputation: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qurat21 View Post
but i really wonder the answers i think they were 100% correct if they were really correct!!!!!
i always had this problem when i gave nbme i xpected a good score but at the end the score was far below my xpectations...
we re jus getting crazy
yea...its extremly scary to think abt wat wer actually the true answers...nd worst part is i cld hardly a couple of ques which i ws nt sure abt, so i cnt even look up for the ans...the thoughts r keeping me haunted all day long...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Babinski is normal in children? Kabutar111 USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 08-19-2015 03:12 AM
MUDPILES and Normal Anion Gap Acidosis samirde USMLE Step 1 Mnemonics 4 07-25-2011 06:48 AM
Is it normal?????? evavar USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 10-28-2010 12:53 PM
Attributing feelings and thoughts to others dranant USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 10-16-2010 06:31 AM
Normal Sagittal MRI aungawa USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 04-10-2010 05:03 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)