step 1 june 24th - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2013
udonwogu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 83
Threads: 8
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 59
Cool step 1 june 24th

Well the purpose of this trend is for motivation and to write my progress
I am a 5th year medical student in West africa.
Started my prep about 8months ago around november 2012 while i was in my 4th year.
I watched all kaplan videos
read quickly through kLN.
Finished FA 2011 once
Went through 70% of an offline usmleworld 2007 that was quite incomplete had just 1500 Qs
Fixed my exam for january 29th cos i thought i was prepared...never knew how wrong i was
NBME 7 on january 14th- 207
Felt depressed and canceled my exam and took a break cos i came down with serious flu and cough not responding to treatment.
After abt 3 weeks of resting with minimal reading i felt much better.
Started a new plan
This plan was to ensure i did not stop my regular workouts and 6 hours sleep.
read specific topics for pathology using BRS Pathology and goljan.
Also went through 60 % of Brs physio but i later got to realize the real **** was uworld physio concepts which consolidated it.
reviewed my BS and genetics. Read other subjects randomly..didnt do much microbiology nd biochem cos i had strong background in those and FA really did a good job in those.
Got FA 2013 and started and finished it but took about 1 and half months and reading up some topics for more details. as lots of school activities in between.

2 & 1/2 MONTHS LEFT.
Got online USMLEWORLD 2 MONTHS SUBSRIPTION. I wished i had been more consistent with it. I had lots more school activities and could barely read for 5 hours a day. Did about 15 questions a day. Started averaging 80s in most of the courses esp micro,biochem. but averaged 50s at first and later 70s in physio(yes i started with physio cos i had very low scores in them at first and made sure i took my time with this subject i thought i really understood.)

3weeks LEFT fixed the latest date, june 24th and yeah i had already extended my eligibility period from jan- march to april -june. Real prep began.did 1-3 blocks a day mostly 1 and 1/2 blocks as i am a slow reader and i really wanted to know the concepts, also jotting new concepts into my FA.
Had abt a thousand questions left undone..did a one week renewal

TODAY about ..having a great feeling i will do well but am getting exhausted studying
But scared of doing any nbme yet though till a week from now

Hope to do as much of my Uworld Qbank before it expires on the 11th.
My final prep wud be to go through my SUPER FA that contains my uworld notes if possible twice. And get done with this and live a normal life.
Wud update my progress regularly if possible have abt 600 questions left to solve in uworld

YOUR DREAMS WILL NEVER COME THROUGH UNTIL YOU WAKE UP.
MOTIVATION GUYS MOTIVATION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 06-08-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 125
Threads: 24
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 40
Default

Don't worry much, just continuing focusing on the reading and doing questions you will ace the exam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
udonwogu (06-08-2013)
  #3  
Old 06-08-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

do another NBME tell us what you get .


do all NBME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
udonwogu (06-08-2013)
  #4  
Old 06-08-2013
udonwogu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 83
Threads: 8
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsurge View Post
Don't worry much, just continuing focusing on the reading and doing questions you will ace the exam
Thanks for your encouragement...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-08-2013
udonwogu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 83
Threads: 8
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
do another NBME tell us what you get .


do all NBME
I plan to do the remaining nbme offline and do nbme 15 online some days before my exam as i have run short of money but thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shima (06-09-2013)
  #6  
Old 06-15-2013
udonwogu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 83
Threads: 8
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 59
Thumbs Down Nbme 13 168/200

I could not finish my qbank still had about 400 questios left mainly ant and few pathology and bits of other courses.
Ok...did nbme 13 offline and had 168/200
Block 1: 41
Block 2: 41
Block 3: 43
Block 4: 43

168 * 1.34( converting factor) left me with a 225 quite unhappy but hopeful to push it by 15 points if not more in a week. as i realized that i had forgotten some concepts and the questions i marked were mostly the ones i got wrong.
And:-)yeah got:-)an answer booklet to nbme 13 with explanations and references to FA2012 from some guys called FEEDURBRAIN.they did quite a good job.
Made me realize that FA had a lot of stuff and cud not only answer just abt 5 of all the questions?
plan to do nbme 6 and 12 tommorrow at a stretch after church and see what happens
AM OFF FOR NOW TO DO MY 50 PAGES FA..Good luck everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-24-2013
udonwogu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 83
Threads: 8
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 59
Listening TRY doing all NBMEs

DO ALL NBMEs
Hello all,just took step 1 today...i feel as though a burden has left me...am thankful

I did the first 2 blocks at a stretch.
Took about five minutes break between each block.
The only exception was between my 4th and fifth blocks. Which i took a lunch break of about 23 minutes.
Had several questions from the nbmes.
first aid covered most concepts.
had a several WTF questions though
Hope for a great score.


MY ADVICE :
Do all nbmes u can do preferably online.
But if you cant do that there is no excuse not to downloas them and do them offline.
And even if you did them online still try and download them and integrate those concepts. Or pay for the extended feedback form so u know the ones u failed.
The must do for these step 1 are :
1) please understand most if not all concepts in UWORLD.
2) Always refer to first Aid or some other book of general concepts like medessentials (please dont be too lazy to do these it makes the concepts stick i mean especially with FA?
3) Do all or most nbmes especially the recent ones (7-15) at least a week to the exam.Try looking for answers to the nbme with detailed explainations... I did all the nbmes except nbme 1-3 and 15(i looked for 15 but i didnt find it but so a website that had flashcards explaining answers to the questions and read them) and read the explainations to the answers especially those i failed.

Actually did not want to do nbme 15 online cos i was scared that i might get depressed as i had just a few days to the exam and was really in high spirits. Did nbme 12 offline 4 days out and missed 26 questions.
4) last week revise your FA quite quickly but thoroughly and pray before going to the exam.
5) utilize your breaks i only had a minute break left before my final block. Stretch,breathe in well help you through the next block.

got most of these techniques from this forum.

During the exam i had flashbacks of pages of first aid while answering quite a number of the questions and also flashbacks of questions from the nbmes i did (majorly twisted the questions but still asked the same concept even used the same photos)

This might not work for some but it sure did help me gain confidence.

In all i solved about 5000 questions 1400 from nbmes. Hey guys nbme is now a qbank from the board of examiners themselves.anyone who tells you nbmes are not important is not helping you. thanks to SHIMA for her advice that i should do all NBMES.

Keeping my fingers crossed till my results are out :sorry:. CHEERS EVERYONE.

Last edited by udonwogu; 06-24-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: missed something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Anastasia04 (06-29-2013), Cottoncandy (06-24-2013), Fereshteh (06-24-2013), neelima208 (06-24-2013)
  #8  
Old 06-24-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 38
Threads: 6
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by udonwogu View Post
DO ALL NBMEs
Hello all,just took step 1 today...i feel as though a burden has left me...am thankful

I did the first 2 blocks at a stretch.
Took about five minutes break between each block.
The only exception was between my 4th and fifth blocks. Which i took a lunch break of about 23 minutes.
Had several questions from the nbmes.
first aid covered most concepts.
had a several WTF questions though
Hope for a great score.


MY ADVICE :
Do all nbmes u can do preferably online.
But if you cant do that there is no excuse not to downloas them and do them offline.
And even if you did them online still try and download them and integrate those concepts. Or pay for the extended feedback form so u know the ones u failed.
The must do for these step 1 are :
1) please understand most if not all concepts in UWORLD.
2) Always refer to first Aid or some other book of general concepts like medessentials (please dont be too lazy to do these it makes the concepts stick i mean especially with FA?
3) Do all or most nbmes especially the recent ones (7-15) at least a week to the exam.Try looking for answers to the nbme with detailed explainations... I did all the nbmes except nbme 1-3 and 15(i looked for 15 but i didnt find it but so a website that had flashcards explaining answers to the questions and read them) and read the explainations to the answers especially those i failed.

Actually did not want to do nbme 15 online cos i was scared that i might get depressed as i had just a few days to the exam and was really in high spirits. Did nbme 12 offline 4 days out and missed 26 questions.
4) last week revise your FA quite quickly but thoroughly and pray before going to the exam.
5) utilize your breaks i only had a minute break left before my final block. Stretch,breathe in well help you through the next block.


got most of these techniques from this forum.

During the exam i had flashbacks of pages of first aid while answering quite a number of the questions and also flashbacks of questions from the nbmes i did (majorly twisted the questions but still asked the same concept even used the same photos)

This might not work for some but it sure did help me gain confidence.

In all i solved about 5000 questions 1400 from nbmes. Hey guys nbme is now a qbank from the board of examiners themselves.anyone who tells you nbmes are not important is not helping you. thanks to SHIMA for her advice that i should do all NBMES.

Keeping my fingers crossed till my results are out :sorry:. CHEERS EVERYONE.
Hey thanks and best of luck with your result

Can you kindly give me the link of nbme offline .. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-17-2013
udonwogu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 83
Threads: 8
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 59
Smile step 1 : 235

Just got my score 235. below my dream score of 250+ but really thankful to God and my parents and ofcourse this forum. party time.later friends.
__________________
Do not give up on a dream because of how long it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-17-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 179
Threads: 43
Thanked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by udonwogu View Post
Just got my score 235. below my dream score of 250+ but really thankful to God and my parents and ofcourse this forum. party time.later friends.
Congrats on the awesome score. How did you find the exam compared to Uworld in terms of difficulty? What about the nbme exams compared to step 1? I got a 220 on nbme 15, so I'm really worried. Need to make sure I can break a 240 as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
April 24th, 2013; Step 2 CK Exam Results Thread dr_aaa USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 19 04-26-2013 01:24 PM
October 24th, 2012; Step 2 CK Exam Results Thread oapi USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 7 10-24-2012 09:25 AM
October 24th, 2012; Step 2 CS Exam Results Thread usmle4bd USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 9 10-24-2012 07:35 AM
Step 1 Friday, Feb 24th vikramc90 USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 02-22-2012 11:41 AM
Looking for Step 2 CK Partner in online; Exam: march 24th 2012 99usmleck USMLE Step 2 CK Study Partners 0 01-15-2012 07:29 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)