Don't Do Pathoma, It's Waste of Time - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 192
Threads: 34
Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 50
Warning! Don't Do Pathoma, It's Waste of Time

Hey
I finished pathoma, yesterday I was with my friend who is at end of his preparation and was solving Qbank , so I started like reading with him patho questions and I was really shocked, I knew about 50-60 questions, my friend nearly knew them all , most of questions I just say WTF !!
if you wanna pass or do good maybe it is enough , but for acing the exam dont even try it
Thats my opinion and advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
lizard (08-08-2016)



  #2  
Old 06-18-2013
shayandokht's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 23
Threads: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Thank u 4 sharing ur experience with us...
I have studied pathoma but i didnt have the courage to look at the questions...
Can i ask which book have ur friend used?
And because we are in the same boat what are u planning to do now?
Ps: i want a high score as u do.. Not just thinking about passing it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-19-2013
npktun's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 297
Threads: 23
Thanked 315 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 325
Default

i know it is not enough ... but is the least you can do for step 1 .... but you should agree his videos are very good ....presents every thing in a simple manner so that even a kid could understand ....and by doing that you could ace almost 80 % of the question if not all ..... but if you want the ultimate combination to ace every question

Goljan + audios + pathoma videos

is the way to go ...... but pathoma is definitely better than kaplan patho ....
__________________
256/262/passed/237/2016/need Visa/ 3 months USCE/ 1 Pub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
magsam (03-31-2016), usmlestep1taker (06-19-2013), Zehra. (06-20-2013)
 
  #4  
Old 06-19-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by npktun View Post
i know it is not enough ... but is the least you can do for step 1 .... but you should agree his videos are very good ....presents every thing in a simple manner so that even a kid could understand ....and by doing that you could ace almost 80 % of the question if not all ..... but if you want the ultimate combination to ace every question

Goljan + audios + pathoma videos

is the way to go ...... but pathoma is definitely better than kaplan patho ....
U are right
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
carbdoc17 (01-04-2017), usmled10 (11-25-2014)
  #5  
Old 06-19-2013
Leishmania's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 116
Threads: 31
Thanked 105 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default

I STRONGLY DISAGREE..

Pathoma (book + videos) are a great thing for Pathology.. Dr Sattar really explains everything well in the videos.. If u look at the BOOK only, you might think its not enough but once u do it with the videos, you will definitely say "WOW" when he will explain the toughest conepts in the simplest ways that you can easily remember them forever...

Goljan no doubt is very detailed but I think it is too extensive for an average student to retain.. It has so much information that you will tend to forget the basics after going into so much detail (which is not usually asked).. Pathoma on the other hand is to the point and pretty much covers everything...

The reason you have WTF reaction on seeing questions is bcoz u r seeing them for the first time probably.. Dont worry even I had similar reactions.. but once u get in the habit of doing questions, u will be able to break them up easily and wont have WTF look.. Dont worry about ur frnd.. Just start doing questions.. u ll do pathetic in first 2 blocks but it will definitely improve..

My advice.. since u have done Pathoma, dont waste time on Goljan and go ahead with the QBanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ALBASHIIR (01-14-2015), bilal.sheikh (06-19-2013), carbdoc17 (01-04-2017), DrGaliver (06-19-2013), Fazail (11-26-2014), Ing rid (03-24-2016), JustToeseen (01-19-2017), Listeria (10-08-2016), MarilynSamson (02-20-2017), nessie (07-16-2016), prtysha (06-20-2013), r4uforever (06-23-2013), Stepbot (09-08-2014), usmled10 (11-25-2014), usmlestep1taker (06-19-2013), Zehra. (06-20-2013)
  #6  
Old 06-19-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 304
Threads: 76
Thanked 74 Times in 51 Posts
Reputation: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seliac View Post
Hey
I finished pathoma, yesterday I was with my friend who is at end of his preparation and was solving Qbank , so I started like reading with him patho questions and I was really shocked, I knew about 50-60 questions, my friend nearly knew them all , most of questions I just say WTF !!
if you wanna pass or do good maybe it is enough , but for acing the exam dont even try it
Thats my opinion and advice
As I've heard, pathoma book alone is just a waste of time but with video things 're really changed
So did you watch it ?
good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-19-2013
Leishmania's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 116
Threads: 31
Thanked 105 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default

I have done Pathoma with videos.. so any1 who need a detailed advice regarding Pathoma plz feel free to contact me on PM.

(BTW, I am not a Marketing Manager of Pathoma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bandhug (05-31-2016), carbdoc17 (01-04-2017), MarilynSamson (02-20-2017), usmled10 (11-25-2014)
  #8  
Old 06-19-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 114
Threads: 23
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishmania View Post
I have done Pathoma with videos.. so any1 who need a detailed advice regarding Pathoma plz feel free to contact me on PM.

(BTW, I am not a Marketing Manager of Pathoma
post us yoour advice on pathoma by the way who can retain all goljan book even if you read it many times you will not retain it all i think all you will retain is fa plus all notes and question neither pathoma or goljan pathoma is for understanding i think is better than goljan even there some chapters that are missing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-19-2013
Leishmania's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 116
Threads: 31
Thanked 105 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cage92 View Post
post us yoour advice on pathoma by the way who can retain all goljan book even if you read it many times you will not retain it all i think all you will retain is fa plus all notes and question neither pathoma or goljan pathoma is for understanding i think is better than goljan even there some chapters that are missing
Alright ... Look mate.. I started with the traditional approach of Kaplan + Goljan... Read entire Goljan once.. took one month and kept asking about Pathoma from ppl and everyone said NO DONT DO IT ..

However, after finishing the last chapter of Goljan I realized I dont remember a word from the other chapters.. And glancing at Kaplan QBank i realized i dont know **** even after doing Goljan.. So I switched to Pathoma.. and did it alongside videos.. 1 chapter a day and it took me a month.. but i am GLAD i did it bcoz Dr. Sattar really helps u build concepts.. Pathoma book mentions only the high yeild stuff and its explanation is excellently provided in the videos (I started Goljan audio too but felt asleep after just one hour and never touched them again). Plus, videos are more interactive than simple audio..

While doing Kaplan QBank online, I realized that most of the patho questions are solvable even by doing FA alone !!! And there are some questions for which Pathoma's CONCEPTS (notes that u make from videos) help.. and there are some WTF questions which even Goljan doesnt answer !! And now i SERIOUSLY regret wasting one month on Goljan...

To sum up, Goljan is a book for the brainacs.. those who have excellent memory and can retain everything without forgetting what they read on Page 1 by the time they reach page 30 (no chapter is less than 30 pages in Goljan) .. but for average students like ME, Pathoma is the thing to do !! BUT DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT THE VIDEOS OR ELSE U WILL END UP WASTING YOUR TIME.
**Period**

Hope that clears doubts about Pathoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
carbdoc17 (01-04-2017), Dr.Albert (06-19-2013), drjcven7 (10-10-2015), Hira.Salman (2 Weeks Ago), JustToeseen (01-19-2017), marya esh (03-15-2017), misha_america (12-27-2016), neelima208 (06-19-2013), nessie (07-16-2016), npktun (06-19-2013), r4uforever (06-23-2013), swwal (06-20-2013), usmled10 (11-25-2014), usmlestep1taker (06-19-2013)
  #10  
Old 06-19-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 114
Threads: 23
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishmania View Post
Alright ... Look mate.. I started with the traditional approach of Kaplan + Goljan... Read entire Goljan once.. took one month and kept asking about Pathoma from ppl and everyone said NO DONT DO IT ..

However, after finishing the last chapter of Goljan I realized I dont remember a word from the other chapters.. And glancing at Kaplan QBank i realized i dont know **** even after doing Goljan.. So I switched to Pathoma.. and did it alongside videos.. 1 chapter a day and it took me a month.. but i am GLAD i did it bcoz Dr. Sattar really helps u build concepts.. Pathoma book mentions only the high yeild stuff and its explanation is excellently provided in the videos (I started Goljan audio too but felt asleep after just one hour and never touched them again). Plus, videos are more interactive than simple audio..

While doing Kaplan QBank online, I realized that most of the patho questions are solvable even by doing FA alone !!! And there are some questions for which Pathoma's CONCEPTS (notes that u make from videos) help.. and there are some WTF questions which even Goljan doesnt answer !! And now i SERIOUSLY regret wasting one month on Goljan...

To sum up, Goljan is a book for the brainacs.. those who have excellent memory and can retain everything without forgetting what they read on Page 1 by the time they reach page 30 (no chapter is less than 30 pages in Goljan) .. but for average students like ME, Pathoma is the thing to do !! BUT DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT THE VIDEOS OR ELSE U WILL END UP WASTING YOUR TIME.
**Period**

Hope that clears doubts about Pathoma.
dude you advice is gold for those who told you its no enough i think they have to go to study goljan and take usmle after 2 year to stick this book in their memoru guys the solution is fa + pathoma plus questionnnn for pathology
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 06-19-2013
Leishmania's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 116
Threads: 31
Thanked 105 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cage92 View Post
dude you advice is gold for those who told you its no enough i think they have to go to study goljan and take usmle after 2 year to stick this book in their memoru guys the solution is fa + pathoma plus questionnnn for pathology
Yeah its bcoz of the advice of those F****g Goljan lovers that i ve wasted precious time n have not been able to give step 1 yet..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-19-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 226
Threads: 15
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishmania View Post
Alright ... Look mate.. I started with the traditional approach of Kaplan + Goljan... Read entire Goljan once.. took one month and kept asking about Pathoma from ppl and everyone said NO DONT DO IT ..

However, after finishing the last chapter of Goljan I realized I dont remember a word from the other chapters.. And glancing at Kaplan QBank i realized i dont know **** even after doing Goljan.. So I switched to Pathoma.. and did it alongside videos.. 1 chapter a day and it took me a month.. but i am GLAD i did it bcoz Dr. Sattar really helps u build concepts.. Pathoma book mentions only the high yeild stuff and its explanation is excellently provided in the videos (I started Goljan audio too but felt asleep after just one hour and never touched them again). Plus, videos are more interactive than simple audio..

While doing Kaplan QBank online, I realized that most of the patho questions are solvable even by doing FA alone !!! And there are some questions for which Pathoma's CONCEPTS (notes that u make from videos) help.. and there are some WTF questions which even Goljan doesnt answer !! And now i SERIOUSLY regret wasting one month on Goljan...

To sum up, Goljan is a book for the brainacs.. those who have excellent memory and can retain everything without forgetting what they read on Page 1 by the time they reach page 30 (no chapter is less than 30 pages in Goljan) .. but for average students like ME, Pathoma is the thing to do !! BUT DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT THE VIDEOS OR ELSE U WILL END UP WASTING YOUR TIME.
**Period**

Hope that clears doubts about Pathoma.
You nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 06-19-2013
npktun's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 297
Threads: 23
Thanked 315 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishmania View Post
Alright ... Look mate.. I started with the traditional approach of Kaplan + Goljan... Read entire Goljan once.. took one month and kept asking about Pathoma from ppl and everyone said NO DONT DO IT ..

However, after finishing the last chapter of Goljan I realized I dont remember a word from the other chapters.. And glancing at Kaplan QBank i realized i dont know **** even after doing Goljan.. So I switched to Pathoma.. and did it alongside videos.. 1 chapter a day and it took me a month.. but i am GLAD i did it bcoz Dr. Sattar really helps u build concepts.. Pathoma book mentions only the high yeild stuff and its explanation is excellently provided in the videos (I started Goljan audio too but felt asleep after just one hour and never touched them again). Plus, videos are more interactive than simple audio..

While doing Kaplan QBank online, I realized that most of the patho questions are solvable even by doing FA alone !!! And there are some questions for which Pathoma's CONCEPTS (notes that u make from videos) help.. and there are some WTF questions which even Goljan doesnt answer !! And now i SERIOUSLY regret wasting one month on Goljan...

To sum up, Goljan is a book for the brainacs.. those who have excellent memory and can retain everything without forgetting what they read on Page 1 by the time they reach page 30 (no chapter is less than 30 pages in Goljan) .. but for average students like ME, Pathoma is the thing to do !! BUT DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT THE VIDEOS OR ELSE U WILL END UP WASTING YOUR TIME.
**Period**

Hope that clears doubts about Pathoma.

you are right ....but do goljan if you are still a student and has ample amount of time to read ..... do it with the main coursebook but ultimately study from the goljan at that period ....

Goljan --- for the long run
Pathoma --- cramping all the stuff in a limited amount of time ...lets say 2-3 weeks and if you are better 1 week ....still scoring decently

and as for the learning part.... for everyone i feel .... my theory so no matter how much time you are given in the end you will feel S**T in regards to it ....so do max question as possible so as to know where you stand ...you will learn more if you do a thing wrong ....
__________________
256/262/passed/237/2016/need Visa/ 3 months USCE/ 1 Pub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drjcven7 (10-10-2015)
  #14  
Old 06-19-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 192
Threads: 34
Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Thanks all for your opinions , I really dunno , I know Goljan is huge , but what bothers me is that in every experience thread they all say that Goljan is a must, Goljan is Gold , 60 % of exam was from Goljan !!!!!!!!!! thats why when I was not good at solving the Qs from Qbank after finishing pathoma so I thought that pathoma was crap , but every body is saying it is good hopefully someone who took the test and used ONLY pathoma, can tell us whether it was a good choice or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 06-19-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 114
Threads: 23
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seliac View Post
Thanks all for your opinions , I really dunno , I know Goljan is huge , but what bothers me is that in every experience thread they all say that Goljan is a must, Goljan is Gold , 60 % of exam was from Goljan !!!!!!!!!! thats why when I was not good at solving the Qs from Qbank after finishing pathoma so I thought that pathoma was crap , but every body is saying it is good hopefully someone who took the test and used ONLY pathoma, can tell us whether it was a good choice or not
duuuude shift to this thread
Koyi Experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 06-19-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 283
Threads: 35
Thanked 206 Times in 115 Posts
Reputation: 216
Default

I am using Pathoma right now with book and videos. I have two chapters to go. I am thankful that I found this and I am indeed learning from inside to out. Pathoma teaches you physiology and then pathology of the normal. He also goes histo, and biochemistry as will. He draws pictures on the whiteboard to make easy to understand both normal and abnormal. I take notes and draw pictures from his videos. Give this guy a credit.

Goljan is gold but is hell hard for me to maintain and retain his book and his audios. I was struggling. But then I found pathoma on my own because I want to learn.

Now, here's the thing. Reading, studying, and retaining information vs. doing qbanks, my friends, are two independently different things!!!! They are not the same. Believe it. It's normal to have poor scores at the beginning; and as you continue, you score high because you now understood how to answer the questions. It clearly have nothing to do with the sources that you have read for. This is board exams that we are talking about here. And clearly the more questions you do, the better shape you will be.

You read books that will help you to retain information in the right way. But doing qbanks is totally different level.

As for me, Pathoma is the best source I ever have. I wished that I found this earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrGaliver (06-20-2013), drjcven7 (10-10-2015), marya esh (03-15-2017), nsesereso (06-19-2013), usmled10 (11-25-2014)
  #17  
Old 06-19-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 101
Threads: 2
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 55
Correct Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Ali View Post
I am using Pathoma right now with book and videos. I have two chapters to go. I am thankful that I found this and I am indeed learning from inside to out. Pathoma teaches you physiology and then pathology of the normal. He also goes histo, and biochemistry as will. He draws pictures on the whiteboard to make easy to understand both normal and abnormal. I take notes and draw pictures from his videos. Give this guy a credit.

Goljan is gold but is hell hard for me to maintain and retain his book and his audios. I was struggling. But then I found pathoma on my own because I want to learn.

Now, here's the thing. Reading, studying, and retaining information vs. doing qbanks, my friends, are two independently different things!!!! They are not the same. Believe it. It's normal to have poor scores at the beginning; and as you continue, you score high because you now understood how to answer the questions. It clearly have nothing to do with the sources that you have read for. This is board exams that we are talking about here. And clearly the more questions you do, the better shape you will be.

You read books that will help you to retain information in the right way. But doing qbanks is totally different level.

As for me, Pathoma is the best source I ever have. I wished that I found this earlier.
100% agreed. i have just started doing pathoma today and today was the only day that i didnt want to close the book!
it is not pure pathology, and now i feel it helps me to relate whatever i had read before together. whatever it is, it seems to be the best part of my preparation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (06-19-2013), roshan dinparast (07-06-2015)
  #18  
Old 06-20-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 252
Threads: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

you might want to edit your title of this post, you talk as if you are an expert on Pathoma and wrote the review, don't mislead people. Pathoma is the best out there period. :sorry:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 06-20-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 192
Threads: 34
Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

guys u r all saying that pathoma is great because it is easy and easily retained , I had the same feeling, I finished it in 10 days and thought that it was nice , but when i solved questions I really didnt know what the hell was going on ! so dont judge on pathoma because u understand or enjoy ! just see the questions and u will know that pathoma leaves alot of crucial points
anyway I am sorry if I mis-lead anyone , but that was an advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 06-20-2013
usmlestep1taker's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 41
Threads: 9
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Seliac,

I think you should talk about pathoma after u finished step 1.
U should have realised by now by ppl's responses that pathoma is the one for step 1.
By pathoma i mean his notes and the points he says in his videos.
U r obviously doing questions just now and that too uworld, do not expect to not have wtf feeling in the beginning.

And ofcourse only if u enjoy learning pathoma, u will really learn something. There is nuthn wrong in ppl sayn they enjoy learning pathoma.

And i am still preparing for the exam, so you can take my words with a grain of salt.
__________________
kill the MLE.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 06-20-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 252
Threads: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

you finish one chapter of Pathoma and do questions for that chapter that is how I did it, Pathoma helped a lot in answering the questions.

If you finish all the chapters then do questions, you wont be able to answer them right.


Quote:
Originally Posted by seliac View Post
guys u r all saying that pathoma is great because it is easy and easily retained , I had the same feeling, I finished it in 10 days and thought that it was nice , but when i solved questions I really didnt know what the hell was going on ! so dont judge on pathoma because u understand or enjoy ! just see the questions and u will know that pathoma leaves alot of crucial points
anyway I am sorry if I mis-lead anyone , but that was an advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 06-20-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seliac View Post
guys u r all saying that pathoma is great because it is easy and easily retained , I had the same feeling, I finished it in 10 days and thought that it was nice , but when i solved questions I really didnt know what the hell was going on ! so dont judge on pathoma because u understand or enjoy ! just see the questions and u will know that pathoma leaves alot of crucial points
anyway I am sorry if I mis-lead anyone , but that was an advice

Just remember what Doctor Ali wrote above;

'Now, here's the thing. Reading, studying, and retaining information vs. doing qbanks, my friends, are two independently different things!!!! '
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 06-20-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 9
Threads: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Read through goljan to get a good idea of pathophysiology if you are either still in school or have a very weak grasp on pathology. In the last 3-4 weeks of prep after you have the basic ideas and are able to derive answers from sheer concept then PATHOMA becomes Gold. Goes through a lot of very high yield images and his videos are really good. You could easily cover it in a week with ample time left to solve through a block or 2 a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 06-20-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 128
Threads: 19
Thanked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

Hey guyys my exam is on the 28 of august .. was studyin before and and had taken an nbme 5 on April 27th and 340 ( below 185 3 digit score) got depressed and hadnt studied since then .. started again yestrdy .. really freaking out ...is 2months enuf to study and give the exam ??? and i dont think i have time to do pathoma or goljian . gonna do just fa and uworld . is tht enuf as well ???

plz plz help !!!! :S:S:s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 06-21-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr adi View Post
Hey guyys my exam is on the 28 of august .. was studyin before and and had taken an nbme 5 on April 27th and 340 ( below 185 3 digit score) got depressed and hadnt studied since then .. started again yestrdy .. really freaking out ...is 2months enuf to study and give the exam ??? and i dont think i have time to do pathoma or goljian . gonna do just fa and uworld . is tht enuf as well ???

plz plz help !!!! :S:S:s
If u want just a pass then fa and uworld would be enough. It means ur basis must be a little good else u can't finish FA and uworld all together in 2 months.
If ur basis is strong and u know most of the things already then u can finish FA in 2 weeks and uworld in 1.5 months. Then even with this wen do u revise ur notes?? :sorry:
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 06-21-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 92
Threads: 9
Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr adi View Post
Hey guyys my exam is on the 28 of august .. was studyin before and and had taken an nbme 5 on April 27th and 340 ( below 185 3 digit score) got depressed and hadnt studied since then .. started again yestrdy .. really freaking out ...is 2months enuf to study and give the exam ??? and i dont think i have time to do pathoma or goljian . gonna do just fa and uworld . is tht enuf as well ???

plz plz help !!!! :S:S:s
Dont listen to anyone that discourages you. u know better than anyone what u r capable of , take advice from others but belief u have to do it urselves.Try ur best if u improve well and good go with the exam, if u cant then just postpone the exam,but dont let others get into ur head, study well and decide at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr adi (06-21-2013)
  #27  
Old 06-21-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 128
Threads: 19
Thanked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
If u want just a pass then fa and uworld would be enough. It means ur basis must be a little good else u can't finish FA and uworld all together in 2 months.
If ur basis is strong and u know most of the things already then u can finish FA in 2 weeks and uworld in 1.5 months. Then even with this wen do u revise ur notes?? :sorry:
i've been studyin before for a while now .. did kaplan notes and videos in the end of last year .. been doin fa and uworld since feb , on and off studying . have done fa multiple times ..finished uworld oe and half times .. took a month break after the nbme in april end cuz got depressed ..

started again few days ago ..i understand the concepts and everyhting its just memorization is the issue now i think .. was worried if pathoma has extra info tht fa and uworld dont have and if i should do it or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 06-21-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 128
Threads: 19
Thanked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelima208 View Post
Dont listen to anyone that discourages you. u know better than anyone what u r capable of , take advice from others but belief u have to do it urselves.Try ur best if u improve well and good go with the exam, if u cant then just postpone the exam,but dont let others get into ur head, study well and decide at the end.
Thanks alot for the support ... yeh i'm gonna keep at it and hopefully in a few weeks will take a nbme and see .... i cant postpone beyond august ,myy extnded elgibiltuy period ends in aug end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 06-21-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 24
Threads: 12
Thanked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seliac View Post
guys u r all saying that pathoma is great because it is easy and easily retained , I had the same feeling, I finished it in 10 days and thought that it was nice , but when i solved questions I really didnt know what the hell was going on ! so dont judge on pathoma because u understand or enjoy ! just see the questions and u will know that pathoma leaves alot of crucial points
anyway I am sorry if I mis-lead anyone , but that was an advice
Pathoma contain HY info, and need to be done with deep studying , i mean revice each ch after u finish it , make notes of the large pic ..
U finished pathoma in 10 days means that u watched 3 hours per day ..
I think it is very imp to take notes after watching each vid , and to make a brife summery of each section ., just a draft .
I found that reading the text then watching the vid , then rereading the text with writing notes helped me more to retain the info .
My advice is to take 3-4days to revise the book and to draw the big pic of each chapter .
Gd luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drjcven7 (10-10-2015)
  #30  
Old 11-25-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 292
Threads: 5
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Nice reading this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 02-26-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 83
Threads: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

So is it better to skip Pathoma. And directly use Goljan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 05-31-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 26
Threads: 12
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishmania View Post
I have done Pathoma with videos.. so any1 who need a detailed advice regarding Pathoma plz feel free to contact me on PM.

(BTW, I am not a Marketing Manager of Pathoma


hey
do u have pathoma ebook??
i cant pm right now so am replying like this.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33  
Old 11-06-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishmania View Post
Alright ... Look mate.. I started with the traditional approach of Kaplan + Goljan... Read entire Goljan once.. took one month and kept asking about Pathoma from ppl and everyone said NO DONT DO IT ..

However, after finishing the last chapter of Goljan I realized I dont remember a word from the other chapters.. And glancing at Kaplan QBank i realized i dont know **** even after doing Goljan.. So I switched to Pathoma.. and did it alongside videos.. 1 chapter a day and it took me a month.. but i am GLAD i did it bcoz Dr. Sattar really helps u build concepts.. Pathoma book mentions only the high yeild stuff and its explanation is excellently provided in the videos (I started Goljan audio too but felt asleep after just one hour and never touched them again). Plus, videos are more interactive than simple audio..

While doing Kaplan QBank online, I realized that most of the patho questions are solvable even by doing FA alone !!! And there are some questions for which Pathoma's CONCEPTS (notes that u make from videos) help.. and there are some WTF questions which even Goljan doesnt answer !! And now i SERIOUSLY regret wasting one month on Goljan...

To sum up, Goljan is a book for the brainacs.. those who have excellent memory and can retain everything without forgetting what they read on Page 1 by the time they reach page 30 (no chapter is less than 30 pages in Goljan) .. but for average students like ME, Pathoma is the thing to do !! BUT DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT THE VIDEOS OR ELSE U WILL END UP WASTING YOUR TIME.
**Period**

Hope that clears doubts about Pathoma.

Thank you so much for your saying!!! I've heard the same from other people in my country who took step 1. Most of them took 240+ and they said Pathoma was the differential, along with the qbank of course. #striveforgreatness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 12-18-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 5
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seliac View Post
Hey
I finished pathoma, yesterday I was with my friend who is at end of his preparation and was solving Qbank , so I started like reading with him patho questions and I was really shocked, I knew about 50-60 questions, my friend nearly knew them all , most of questions I just say WTF !!
if you wanna pass or do good maybe it is enough , but for acing the exam dont even try it
Thats my opinion and advice
Disagree so hard I don't even know where to start. There are people who know more than me, too, but I don't blame Pathoma for that.

Pathoma will give you that core understanding of pathophys that is so, so important, plus high yield stuff. Sure, it is probably not an end-all-be-all, that doesn't make it a waste of time. I actually thought the videos were very efficient for the amount of information you get in relatively short videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35  
Old 12-22-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

I did Pathoma video+book and took notes, FA, Rx Qbank, and about 30% of U World, NBME predict a barely passing grade, I have two month left, should I do gojin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 03-21-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishmania View Post
I STRONGLY DISAGREE..

Pathoma (book + videos) are a great thing for Pathology.. Dr Sattar really explains everything well in the videos.. If u look at the BOOK only, you might think its not enough but once u do it with the videos, you will definitely say "WOW" when he will explain the toughest conepts in the simplest ways that you can easily remember them forever...

Goljan no doubt is very detailed but I think it is too extensive for an average student to retain.. It has so much information that you will tend to forget the basics after going into so much detail (which is not usually asked).. Pathoma on the other hand is to the point and pretty much covers everything...

The reason you have WTF reaction on seeing questions is bcoz u r seeing them for the first time probably.. Dont worry even I had similar reactions.. but once u get in the habit of doing questions, u will be able to break them up easily and wont have WTF look.. Dont worry about ur frnd.. Just start doing questions.. u ll do pathetic in first 2 blocks but it will definitely improve..

My advice.. since u have done Pathoma, dont waste time on Goljan and go ahead with the QBanks..
yes thats 100% true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37  
Old 03-22-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 9
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Hey!
Did you try USMLE Boards and Beyond videos? They are nice, concise and easy to understand.

You can watch samples here:
www dot boardsbeyond dot com/samples

Also, they are running March promotion, have a look at it here:
www dot boardsbeyond dot com/march-promotion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38  
Old 03-23-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 18
Threads: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Thanks for the heads up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39  
Old 03-26-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Yeah thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40  
Old 03-27-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 11
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

well I guess it's personal, pathoma helped a lot.
but of course you can't reply solely on pathoma you need to do qbanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41  
Old 6 Days Ago
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Thumbs Up

Well, pathoma did big influence for my successful level 1 exam passed, but it is not 100% helpful. I mean USMLE lecture videos are far better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42  
Old 5 Days Ago
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

you should definitely do pathoma!!! and go over it twice if you want to do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Pathoma-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it a waste of time to read Basic Robbins for Pathology? ReggieMiller USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 11-17-2012 02:08 PM
Kaplan Qbank; waste of time? saadke USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 12-02-2011 02:55 AM
Conrad Fischer Videos a waste of time ozon USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 1 11-10-2011 06:57 AM
Volunteering as a gap in the CV and waste of time! hope490 IMG Residency Match Forum 4 07-04-2011 04:43 PM
Just do USMLE World, don't waste your time and money! vagp86 USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 12-28-2010 12:04 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)