Indian usmle aspirant ! Just beginner need help !! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Question Indian usmle aspirant ! Just beginner need help !!

Hello everyone !
I am currently studying my 2nd yr and have to give my exams in the end of jan..i got to know abt the whole procedure of usmle recently..and i'm thinking maybe i could give my step1 in mid third yr as step 1 is on the first 2yrs subjects but i'm afraid i'll lose my mbbs course studying for this or may not be dng step1 well so can u plz give ur opinion on this for me plzz..
And maybe help me manage the exam taking schedule after the final yr..as the internship i've heard is maddening with long working hrs and there wont be anytym to read and i dontknow how to manage my next steps (maybe a little too early to ask but i want to have an overview of usmle) ?
So, if i start preparing for step 1 frm nowon can i take the exam maybr in july or august nxt yr as i'm not very strong in my subjects ?
And i'm confused abt step 3, should it be completed to get into residency compulsarily ?
And from the percentage of imgs getting a match, its too low and its given evn though u have required qualifications u might not get a match..so i am worried that it might take long time and retakes if i take usmle as my career option
I'm just a beginner trying to find out more abt this,so i request u to kindly help me..
And are electives and clerkships the same ? When do we have to apply forthem ? After final yr or after internship ? And how much time wil it take ?
Thankyou for ur tym and hoping u would assist
Thank you very much !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pseudonym979 (09-15-2013)



  #2  
Old 08-06-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default Help !

If any seniors who have completed taking usmle frm india plz help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-06-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 12
Thanked 138 Times in 84 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

all lot depends on how much time you get in your third year..personally speaking it is best to give usmle in third year as the basic science subjects are fresh in your memory..that's a huge plus point..its good that you have made your decision about USMLE in 2nd year itself..you can start reading the kaplan books side by side along with the usual 2nd year books that we read..specially the microbiology, pharmacology and Goljan for patho..also listen to lectures if you have time..then after january of next year you can start with serious step 1 preparation..it is doable but be ready for a lot of hard work in third year..
about step 3, it is taken only after you are done with step 1 and step 2 CK and CS..dont worry about that now..use your time wisely..good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
arvine_14 (02-02-2014), Bhav8 (08-27-2013), shamithanath (11-19-2015)
 
  #4  
Old 08-06-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 12
Thanked 138 Times in 84 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

keep in mind usmle is a long road..and the time period between you finishing your internship and starting your residency might take 1 -3 years on an average.. there is no point in rushing the steps as you might end up getting a bad score..electives can be applied for in final year or internship if your medical college permits...the best approach is to get done with both steps while you are in india doing internship but nowadays internship has become really hectic..many people give their step 1 after internship ..if you give your step 1 by next year you have nothing to lose..and you can give step 2 CK in your internship but of course you shouldnt compromise on your score even if it takes a year more..
but the most important thing, if you are giving USMLE dont compare yourself with your colleagues who prepare and get into Indian pg..you will definately take longer than them to get started with your residency..this is how USMLE is structured..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bunny1410 (08-06-2013), shamithanath (11-19-2015)
  #5  
Old 08-06-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 18
Threads: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Not very often we see people deciding about usmle in 2nd year. You are one of those rare ones. And it's great that u have decided now and u r better than hundreds of people in that way.. Doing step 1 in your third year has its own advantages. Start studying from now on. strengthen your basics and you can definitely ace usmle. If u can't do step 1before your mbbs course, you'll be no different from the ones who decided late.. So its ggreat that u have decided now. Go ahead. you have plenty of time. start studying for step 1 from now on. you can give it when u feel u r confident enough (like mid third year or even early 4th year). and u can do step 2 in your internship and also do electives(yes clerkships means the same) and ull be ready for match.. Good luck !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Bhav8 (08-27-2013), shamithanath (11-19-2015)
  #6  
Old 08-06-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 18
Threads: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

As aaru20 mentioned, you should never compromise on your score. Having said that, believe me you have a great opportunity to ace both usmle and ur mbbs without compromising on any scores if you go in the right way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-27-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default Thanyou !

Thankyou so much for ur advice aaru20 and b'lore india..its of great help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-30-2013
pranavmerchant's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 350
Threads: 5
Thanked 237 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 247
Default

hey bhav im in the same boat as you... i started step 1 prep at the end of my 2nd yr... and am currently in the 3rd yr... planning to give the step in june 2014, which will be my final year of Mbbs, i think both are manageable considering the fact that passing mbbs is not a big deal really.
of course youll need to study all the time.. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Bhav8 (08-31-2013)
  #9  
Old 08-30-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 54
Threads: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

You should first decide for sure if mle is what you want to do... Cos if you are not sure then don't jump into it... Mle is a very long way... And once you start there is no looking back..no matter what happens.. First decide wisely.
Later.. 3 rd year is a very good time to give your step 1. As is said by the others above.. Your memory of the knowledge of 2 years is fresh. As for your MBBS.. 3rd year is said to be comparatively easier than the other two years.. So you can satudy half and half for step1 and third year..( you can divide the time as per your convenience) and it still won't affect your MBBS marks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Bhav8 (08-31-2013), shamithanath (11-19-2015)
  #10  
Old 09-03-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 135
Threads: 17
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 34
Post Suggestions Needed !!

Hey, can somebody plz help me! At present I am preparing for the steps also applying for the electives too ÖTo better explain my situation I mention that I have been dreaming of residency(IM) in US since long,, but recently I have been criticized by my seniors and friends for pursuing this as a career, saying that efforts which Iíll put wonít be worth for me, as due some reasons, i plan to RETURN back to India soon after getting residency &/ fellowships (or will work there for some years after being board certified). I was told that on returning back, when itís time to earn handsome there in US, I would be earing just marginally more compared to the efforts and money I put for the match Vs. my INDIAN PG COUNTERPARTS Ö !! M confused, and feel demotivated with my plans due to all this.I donít wish to spend some more time thinking about all this as I have already done before. Is it that the difference between the US returned fellowís wonít be that significant compared to indian counterparts (Apart from the getting a World Class qualifications). I wished to know somewhat the exact figures to get this elucidated soon, so that I get VALUE TO THE EFFORTS that I put into this. Can anyone please throw light on the job scenario for those doctors who wish to return to India??! Awaiting reply soon!! ? Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
studyna (12-11-2013), VisK2k9 (05-12-2014)
  #11  
Old 09-03-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 54
Threads: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Don't bother what your seniors say...
Go ahead and keep studying.. Ppl will talk what they like.
One thing is for sure..
You have to study a lot... And I'll be long time before you earn handsome salaries.. Whether you do study in India or the us.
It'll definitely take more time than your Indian counter parts.. But I'll be more than worth it..
( not to mention the current situation of Indian medicine with all the strikes and rural service and the never list..)
Your definitely better off studying there..
So I'd say... Dont give it another thought.

And what more happiness will you get than achieving something that you've been dreaming off since so long as you say...
Will you just throw it away cos some ppl told somethinh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Neutrino (09-03-2013), studyna (12-11-2013)
  #12  
Old 09-03-2013
pranavmerchant's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 350
Threads: 5
Thanked 237 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
Hey, can somebody plz help me! At present I am preparing for the steps also applying for the electives too ÖTo better explain my situation I mention that I have been dreaming of residency(IM) in US since long,, but recently I have been criticized by my seniors and friends for pursuing this as a career, saying that efforts which Iíll put wonít be worth for me, as due some reasons, i plan to RETURN back to India soon after getting residency &/ fellowships (or will work there for some years after being board certified). I was told that on returning back, when itís time to earn handsome there in US, I would be earing just marginally more compared to the efforts and money I put for the match Vs. my INDIAN PG COUNTERPARTS Ö !! M confused, and feel demotivated with my plans due to all this.I donít wish to spend some more time thinking about all this as I have already done before. Is it that the difference between the US returned fellowís wonít be that significant compared to indian counterparts (Apart from the getting a World Class qualifications). I wished to know somewhat the exact figures to get this elucidated soon, so that I get VALUE TO THE EFFORTS that I put into this. Can anyone please throw light on the job scenario for those doctors who wish to return to India??! Awaiting reply soon!! ? Help!!
dude just do what you want to do!!!!
check the times of india(mumbai) 3/9/13, there is an article which tells why many abroad educated doctors are wanting to come back to India.
you get only one life; whats the point of it if you cant do what you want!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Neutrino (09-04-2013), shamithanath (11-19-2015)
  #13  
Old 09-13-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 12
Thanked 138 Times in 84 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

A lot of people return back and there's no harm in it..a residency in US is always valued..if you want to do it, go for it..i faced the same response from my seniors..everyone thinks that whatever they are doing is best..so you decide whats best for you..
and i am in the same boat..not planning to settle in US at all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Neutrino (09-13-2013)
  #14  
Old 09-15-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaru20 View Post
keep in mind usmle is a long road..and the time period between you finishing your internship and starting your residency might take 1 -3 years on an average.. there is no point in rushing the steps as you might end up getting a bad score..electives can be applied for in final year or internship if your medical college permits...the best approach is to get done with both steps while you are in india doing internship but nowadays internship has become really hectic..many people give their step 1 after internship ..if you give your step 1 by next year you have nothing to lose..and you can give step 2 CK in your internship but of course you shouldnt compromise on your score even if it takes a year more..
but the most important thing, if you are giving USMLE dont compare yourself with your colleagues who prepare and get into Indian pg..you will definately take longer than them to get started with your residency..this is how USMLE is structured..
Hi, could you give an overview on when it's best to write all the steps if we write our step-1 in the 3rd year? That would mean step 2 CK during internship? What about step 2 CS and what next? How should we structure the entire thing? (The timeline, I mean, if possible?) Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 09-24-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 12
Thanked 138 Times in 84 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym979 View Post
Hi, could you give an overview on when it's best to write all the steps if we write our step-1 in the 3rd year? That would mean step 2 CK during internship? What about step 2 CS and what next? How should we structure the entire thing? (The timeline, I mean, if possible?) Thanks in advance!
try to give step 1 in 3rd year..i'll say 'try your best' to give step 1 in 3rd year but if you feel underprepared then its better to give it in internship..nowadays internship has become hectic in most of the hospitals so i will definately suggest you give your step 1 in 3rd year..CK after final year should take around 4 months max and regarding CS if you get an oppurtunity to do electives in US in your final year or internship , then give CS at that time itself..a lot of things also depends upon when your medical school issues your degree..for eg a lot of people are done with the steps by internship but remain unmatched as a fresh graduate because they are not able to get ecfmg certified on time..so plan accordingly..all the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pranavmerchant (01-16-2014), shamithanath (11-19-2015)



  #16  
Old 12-11-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

im also 2nd(2/1st) yr med student and was keen on giving usmle. I too don't know much about it .I was thinking of giving it 3rd yr.Since i want to stay in india after PG, Many of my seniors advised me not to give USMLE and give NEET instead...Now i'm confused.....BUT for sure I will try atleast once.I Need Study PARTNER who is serious .I am from mumbai but we can discuss on skye .i'll start from mid jan

Last edited by studyna; 12-12-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 01-16-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I just now completed my 2nd yr and am going to 3rd yr . I am planning to give the step 1 sometime this year ...I heard that for step 2 , a really good resume is needed.. like publications, presentations and projects ...I havent done any projects till now and the ICMR deadline is done ...Is it okay if my resume is pretty empty ..or is it a good idea to do research in US after internship to make my resume look good ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 01-28-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 12
Thanked 138 Times in 84 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumana View Post
I just now completed my 2nd yr and am going to 3rd yr . I am planning to give the step 1 sometime this year ...I heard that for step 2 , a really good resume is needed.. like publications, presentations and projects ...I havent done any projects till now and the ICMR deadline is done ...Is it okay if my resume is pretty empty ..or is it a good idea to do research in US after internship to make my resume look good ??
No resume is needed for the steps..your CV has to be good in order to get matched..ELECTIVES ELECTIVES ELECTIVES..i cant stress more upon their importance..try to get electives right from your final year ..US clinical experience is anyday more valued than research or observerships..and research is of value if you are able to get any publications or abstarcts which usually takes 6 months to 1 year of work atleast..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 01-28-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 12
Thanked 138 Times in 84 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyna View Post
im also 2nd(2/1st) yr med student and was keen on giving usmle. I too don't know much about it .I was thinking of giving it 3rd yr.Since i want to stay in india after PG, Many of my seniors advised me not to give USMLE and give NEET instead...Now i'm confused.....BUT for sure I will try atleast once.I Need Study PARTNER who is serious .I am from mumbai but we can discuss on skye .i'll start from mid jan
My advice to you or anyone who wants to do USMLE is to not be confused..there are going to be times when( for eg if you doing USMLE or NEET ) you will feel that the grass is greener on the other side..and this will become very frustrating ..If you want to give step 1 in 3rd frst , its a good decision..it wont harm in any way..but make sure you are seriously intersted in usmle..all the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 10-24-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I've completed my internship in india and am planning to write Step 1 in June 2015. I've got USMLE QBANK, First Aid book, Kaplan lecture notes and Goljan for pathology. Is this enough? roughly how long will the preparation take coz i want to write step 1 as early as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 10-26-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I am in 2nd First MBBS at MUHS university maharashtra. I am seriously interested in qualifying USMLE. I want to know when and how should i prepare if i want to give the Step 1 exam in June-2016. Names of the books will be highly appreciated. Also, I dont want my 2nd Year university marks to be drastically affected so is it possible to study properly for both the exams and get sucess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 02-27-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I'm too facing the same problem as (dr_kanishk).
I'm in 2nd Mbbs currently. I'm following kaplan and gojlan for pathology.. I'm following kaplan videos too.
But when should I give step 1. I'm thinking of giving it in 3rd year but can't decide in which part like 3Rd first or second.
And I too need a guide as to how to cope up with both usmle and university exam prep.


Please help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 11-19-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Post Thank uuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by b`lore_india View Post
As aaru20 mentioned, you should never compromise on your score. Having said that, believe me you have a great opportunity to ace both usmle and ur mbbs without compromising on any scores if you go in the right way.
your post was really informative . Thanks a lot .. I too have entered my second year and as u suggested have decided to take my step 1 in my third yr . Can I know whether there's some deadline to take step 2 .. Like after completing step 1 are we supposed to complete step 2 within the next year???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 11-19-2015
pranavmerchant's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 350
Threads: 5
Thanked 237 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamithanath View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b`lore_india View Post
As aaru20 mentioned, you should never compromise on your score. Having said that, believe me you have a great opportunity to ace both usmle and ur mbbs without compromising on any scores if you go in the right way.
your post was really informative . Thanks a lot .. I too have entered my second year and as u suggested have decided to take my step 1 in my third yr . Can I know whether there's some deadline to take step 2 .. Like after completing step 1 are we supposed to complete step 2 within the next year???

Hey you are supposed to complete all steps within a span of seven years. You can keep as much time as you want between exams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Starters

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USMLE for Indian Students kundu USMLE Step 1 Forum 24 09-03-2013 08:42 PM
Any beginner to start ck prep ; Indian standard time aqua100 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 0 05-23-2013 06:04 AM
Clerkship aspirant alisha USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 04-04-2011 07:25 AM
USMLE After Indian PG! rudreshwar General Topics Forum 1 01-19-2011 11:05 AM
USMLE Beginner Anoosh USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 01-11-2010 09:07 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)