One Week to go - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 25
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Help One Week to go

Guys, I think I need as much opinions as I can get..

My exam is 1 week away, I am cramming through FA and a few weak spots. It all started one week ago when I decided to take UWSA-1 to test my status now that Qbanks were nearly done..it came 540/229..so I felt good and decided to take an NBME...
The next day I took NBME-7 and I was really disappointed, 490/220..I decided to take another one 3 days later while reviewing FA, and I was punished by NBME-5 480/218..
So I decided to take a break from questions and review heavily, I reviewed only the spots defined as "weak" by all 3 tests..
Then I decided to take the next UWSA-2, it came 640/247! I felt great and decided to take NBME-4 today, but I was punished again by a 510/225..
I need all the opinions I can get guys, I am really worried and its only 7 days to go!
Thanks to everyone in advance & all the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 11-13-2010
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 610 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 630
Default

Looks like NBMEs are more accurate. After all, they're more reflective of the actual questions in the exam.

So NBME roughly predicts 500. My advice is to keep doing questions (like 1-2 blocks a day), not for gaining any new info, but to accustom your mind to it. The rest of the day read FA or your notes. Don't read new stuff. Most importantly, relax; this is a very strong weapon that you should wield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-13-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 25
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisook View Post
Looks like NBMEs are more accurate....
.....So NBME roughly predicts 500.
This is really scary, 500 makes about 223...Does this mean that UWSA are worthless? Or is that my final score??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 11-13-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 25
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Oh I wanted to add another point, Dunno if it's relevant or not:
NBME 4 & 7 were done without reviewing, just depending upon experience from Qbanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-13-2010
ashishkabir's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 625
Threads: 19
Thanked 371 Times in 220 Posts
Reputation: 391
Arrow

Wow, that is a big difference between the uwsa and nbme scores... I wonder why... when you have time later, I'd email USMLEWorld and ask them. That being said, 225 is a pretty good score too... over 95 I'd say. Still if you want to be sure, I'd take the lowest score and try to improve that...

Maybe you forgot some easy memorization things from FA, as Haisook says? Memorizing that book perfectly is the key...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
zein1 (11-13-2010)
  #6  
Old 11-13-2010
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 610 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 630
Default

This is a confusing situation. I'm not sure, but it seems you took 2 NBMEs immediately the next day after you had taken UWSAs. May be you were exhausted?

What are your scores in the qbanks (timed, random, 1st pass)?

Can you take another NBME? If so, take NBME 6. This should provide a definite prediction since it will be the closest to the exam.

Anyway, don't panic. Your current predicted score is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-13-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 25
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Wow, that is a big difference between the uwsa and nbme scores... I wonder why... when you have time later, I'd email USMLEWorld and ask them. That being said, 225 is a pretty good score too... over 95 I'd say. Still if you want to be sure, I'd take the lowest score and try to improve that...

Maybe you forgot some easy memorization things from FA, as Haisook says? Memorizing that book perfectly is the key...
I think that rushing to NBMEs without any reviewing was wrong, I hope harder reviews can improve things..

Quote:
This is a confusing situation. I'm not sure, but it seems you took 2 NBMEs immediately the next day after you had taken UWSAs. May be you were exhausted?

What are your scores in the qbanks (timed, random, 1st pass)?

Can you take another NBME? If so, take NBME 6. This should provide a definite prediction since it will be the closest to the exam.

Anyway, don't panic. Your current predicted score is good.
- The urge to do an NBME after I saw acceptable scores on UWSA was unbearable! I really wanted to see a good score on NBMEs to feel secure enough to continue the week, but perhaps it was really wrong to rush..
- You can't rely on my Qbanks' scores..because I was studying along with solving, I only started paying attention to scores at the last 10-15 blocks in UW , they were around 60s-70s..

So what do we deduct? Tell me what you think..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-13-2010
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 610 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zein1 View Post
I think that rushing to NBMEs without any reviewing was wrong, I hope harder reviews can improve things..


- The urge to do an NBME after I saw acceptable scores on UWSA was unbearable! I really wanted to see a good score on NBMEs to feel secure enough to continue the week, but perhaps it was really wrong to rush..
- You can't rely on my Qbanks' scores..because I was studying along with solving, I only started paying attention to scores at the last 10-15 blocks in UW , they were around 60s-70s..

So what do we deduct? Tell me what you think..
I'd say read FA and/or your high-yield notes till 3 days before your exam, and then take NBME 6 (keep a calculator and a sketchpad around). Still, do at least 1 block of questions everyday until then.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-13-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 25
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
I'd say read FA and/or your high-yield notes till 3 days before your exam, and then take NBME 6 (keep a calculator and a sketchpad around). Still, do at least 1 block of questions everyday until then.

Good luck.
Tell me honestly, does it look hopeful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 11-13-2010
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 610 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zein1 View Post
Tell me honestly, does it look hopeful?
Well, it all depends on your expectations. You seem to be unhappy with your current NBME predictions. Honestly, I can't tell if your score may rise after these 4 days of reading, but your UWSA scores were really good, so I'm thinking, why not..? May be your score will rise.

If you think your NBME scores were negatively affected by not reviewing enough or by any other cause, you should review as much as you can and take another NBME. But if you think you need more prep time, you may consider postponing your exam (given that you are NOT happy with the NBME predictions). If you're OK with those predictions, take the exam.

So in short, it all depends on what score you are looking forward to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Pixie (11-13-2010), zein1 (11-13-2010)
  #11  
Old 11-13-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 25
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisook View Post
Well, it all depends on your expectations. You seem to be unhappy with your current NBME predictions. Honestly, I can't tell if your score may rise after these 4 days of reading, but your UWSA scores were really good, so I'm thinking, why not..? May be your score will rise.

If you think your NBME scores were negatively affected by not reviewing enough or by any other cause, you should review as much as you can and take another NBME. But if you think you need more prep time, you may consider postponing your exam (given that you are NOT happy with the NBME predictions). If you're OK with those predictions, take the exam.

So in short, it all depends on what score you are looking forward to.
My current scores don't make a 99, and between you and me, I am starting to adopt your idea of losing confidence in UWSA, you said before they were nothing like the exam, and that the exam was same difficulty (same or harder?) as NBMEs, that's why I am scared..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 11-14-2010
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 610 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zein1 View Post
My current scores don't make a 99, and between you and me, I am starting to adopt your idea of losing confidence in UWSA, you said before they were nothing like the exam, and that the exam was same difficulty (same or harder?) as NBMEs, that's why I am scared..
Hmm... so you're opting for a 99. If this is the case, I think you'll have to postpone your exam, although in general I don't recommend that. Postponing usually harms more than it helps. You'll likely forget more than you retain. Besides, you've worked hard already and have done many Qbanks and have taken many assessment tests. It's important to think logically and understand that everybody has their own limits. Not everybody can get a 99. Sometimes it gets to the point that you feel no more work can help. Do you feel this way or do you feel that if you studied more you can improve your score? Only you can decide.

P.S. The exam felt like an NBME-7 in a UW interface (FRED v2). Difficulty was more or less like it. I only took NBME-7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 11-14-2010
whocares13's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 145
Threads: 8
Thanked 75 Times in 57 Posts
Reputation: 85
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisook View Post
It's important to think logically and understand that everybody has their own limits. Not everybody can get a 99. Sometimes it gets to the point that you feel no more work can help. Do you feel this way or do you feel that if you studied more you can improve your score? Only you can decide.
Inspiring for me and all average students who cannot target 99 but runs in the race for high numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 11-14-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 88
Threads: 12
Thanked 177 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 187
Default

@zein
I urge you to keep on.You will ace it.
Though, the golden advice is to postpone if ur NBME is not showing 99,
It seems reviewing FA improved your NBMES.
You need to keep reading FA at this point till ur exam
I will not advice postponing your exam.
all the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This Week's Plan fin-84 USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 11-08-2010 04:57 AM
healthy 3-week-old boy Seetal USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 04-18-2010 10:00 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)