Swings in QBank Percentages - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-23-2010
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Thanked 198 Times in 86 Posts
Reputation: 208
Unhappy Swings in QBank Percentages

Hi Guys, I noticed this for quite some time. My percentages for QBank seems to vary wildly between 80% and 55% (all similar one hour blocks, timed, all subjects) , is this a normal phenomenon that happens to everyone? These swings are making me jittery as i cant rely on the Qbank to guage where i am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 11-23-2010
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 438
Threads: 111
Thanked 231 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarnab View Post
Hi Guys, I noticed this for quite some time. My percentages for QBank seems to vary wildly between 80% and 55% (all similar one hour blocks, timed, all subjects) , is this a normal phenomenon that happens to everyone? These swings are making me jittery as i cant rely on the Qbank to guage where i am.

I'am having the same problem in Kaplan's Qbank. Last week I was between 85% and 70%, yesterday I scored 63%. I don't know why and if it's normal.
Can someone help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-23-2010
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Thanked 198 Times in 86 Posts
Reputation: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evavar View Post
I'am having the same problem in Kaplan's Qbank. Last week I was between 85% and 70%, yesterday I scored 63%. I don't know why and if it's normal.
Can someone help us.
Hi Evavar, these swings were even more pronounced with Kaplan Qbank than UWorld which i am doing now. Did you notice if the swings are in synchonicity with median percentages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 11-23-2010
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 611 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 631
Default

The total cumulative score is the one to look at.
Also, try to do blocks in the same time interval every day e.g. in the morning. Try to not do questions late at night, while you are likely tired and disoriented. Remember that in the exam you will be doing questions till 5 pm, not more. So don't do any question blocks after 5 pm at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
evavar (11-23-2010)
  #5  
Old 11-24-2010
ashishkabir's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 625
Threads: 19
Thanked 371 Times in 220 Posts
Reputation: 391
Default

Also, guys, check to see where inside the block you're making your mistakes... If for example with me, your renal is consistenly weak, then focus on that. That may be the reason your score is swinging so much - the random blocks really are that - very very random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-24-2010
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Thanked 198 Times in 86 Posts
Reputation: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisook View Post
The total cumulative score is the one to look at.
Also, try to do blocks in the same time interval every day e.g. in the morning. Try to not do questions late at night, while you are likely tired and disoriented. Remember that in the exam you will be doing questions till 5 pm, not more. So don't do any question blocks after 5 pm at home.
thanks haishook.. ur right.. i took a NBME (560/236) today.. and the scores correlate well with overall cumulative UWorld (63% - predicts 231) and Qbank 65%(predicts 232). I did not find time related variations but will follow your advice. Thanks once again.. happy thanksgiving everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-24-2010
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 611 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarnab View Post
thanks haishook.. ur right.. i took a NBME (560/236) today.. and the scores correlate well with overall cumulative UWorld (63% - predicts 231) and Qbank 65%(predicts 232). I did not find time related variations but will follow your advice. Thanks once again.. happy thanksgiving everyone
You're welcome. Very good scores by the way!
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drarnab (11-25-2010)
  #8  
Old 11-24-2010
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 438
Threads: 111
Thanked 231 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 241
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarnab View Post
thanks haishook.. ur right.. i took a NBME (560/236) today.. and the scores correlate well with overall cumulative UWorld (63% - predicts 231) and Qbank 65%(predicts 232). I did not find time related variations but will follow your advice. Thanks once again.. happy thanksgiving everyone

Wich Nbme?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-25-2010
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Thanked 198 Times in 86 Posts
Reputation: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evavar View Post
Wich Nbme?????
The NBME 3...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Qbanks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USMLE Step 2 CK Difficulty Percentages YoramFishke USMLE Step 2 CK Recommended Threads 6 08-07-2014 06:51 AM
USMLE Step 1 Exam Questions Difficulty Percentages as voted by members YoramFishke USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads 4 09-14-2010 11:46 AM
which is better qbank or uworld aysh USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 1 07-07-2010 10:51 AM
The best Qbank Strategy Syndromic General Topics Forum 0 03-18-2010 09:24 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)