Is there age limit for USMLE! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Question Is there age limit for USMLE!

I am a IMG of 2005 wanting to take step1 in 2014 hopefully since I need to get the green light from ECFMG to proceed for exam dates/registration. I believe I am pretty late now for step1......... But want to try it out. Is there some age bar to undertake the exam? Also is Kaplan material really all that we need??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
meilocat (09-20-2013)



  #2  
Old 09-20-2013
MishkaMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 431
Threads: 11
Thanked 326 Times in 143 Posts
Reputation: 336
Default

I donno anything about age undertake. I know people who did step 1 in there 40s.
Regarding book. Well i wouldnt say Kaplan is ALL you need, but it is a very very good source.
I would suggest using
1)Kaplan Books/Videos
2)BRS physio
3) First Aid
4)Pathoma or Goljian
At LEAST!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Baan I.K. (10-30-2014)
  #3  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 63
Threads: 13
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaVic View Post
I am a IMG of 2005 wanting to take step1 in 2014 hopefully since I need to get the green light from ECFMG to proceed for exam dates/registration. I believe I am pretty late now for step1......... But want to try it out. Is there some age bar to undertake the exam? Also is Kaplan material really all that we need??
Discrimination by age is not permitted by the US laws! So if you want to take the usmle- go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE-Success-Academy's Avatar
Official Advertiser Representative
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 119
Threads: 15
Thanked 149 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 159
Default

Hi VivaVic,

There is no age limit for taking the exams, as long as you qualify you will be able to write.

What you use depends on your current level of knowledge and how much you need to learn/re-learn. For past students I've dealt with in your situation I highly recommend the full kaplan review because you won't get a better in-depth and highly detailed program. I always liken Kaplan to re-doing the basic sciences in a way, because the volume of information and material is enormous. At the same time, realize that everything in the full Kaplan program is beyond just 'high yield' information and a lot of it is important for you as a Physician, but not everything will be considered to be high-yield. For the higher yield info, in order to really pinpoint your studying and preparation, this is where a preparation program comes into play - and for someone out of the game for so long, it will probably do you a lot of good and help to propel your score much higher.

Good for you for not quitting and giving it a go, even if you are an older graduate. I know plenty of grads in their 50's (some in their late 50's) who have become residents and have become excellent Physicians, so there's no reason why you cant do it too.

All the best!

Dr. Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaVic View Post
I am a IMG of 2005 wanting to take step1 in 2014 hopefully since I need to get the green light from ECFMG to proceed for exam dates/registration. I believe I am pretty late now for step1......... But want to try it out. Is there some age bar to undertake the exam? Also is Kaplan material really all that we need??
__________________
The USMLE Success Academy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Baan I.K. (10-30-2014), meilocat (09-20-2013)
  #5  
Old 09-21-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMLE-Success-Academy View Post
Hi VivaVic,

There is no age limit for taking the exams, as long as you qualify you will be able to write.

What you use depends on your current level of knowledge and how much you need to learn/re-learn. For past students I've dealt with in your situation I highly recommend the full kaplan review because you won't get a better in-depth and highly detailed program. I always liken Kaplan to re-doing the basic sciences in a way, because the volume of information and material is enormous. At the same time, realize that everything in the full Kaplan program is beyond just 'high yield' information and a lot of it is important for you as a Physician, but not everything will be considered to be high-yield. For the higher yield info, in order to really pinpoint your studying and preparation, this is where a preparation program comes into play - and for someone out of the game for so long, it will probably do you a lot of good and help to propel your score much higher.

Good for you for not quitting and giving it a go, even if you are an older graduate. I know plenty of grads in their 50's (some in their late 50's) who have become residents and have become excellent Physicians, so there's no reason why you cant do it too.

All the best!

Dr. Paul

Thanks to u all for the reply and especially to you Dr.Paul for the encouraging message....I regret that i wasn't aware nor really interested in the USMLE when i was in med school but now, I really want to get certification to practice in USA for numerous reasons known best to me.....Its such a boost to know that my seniors in their 50's have done it..n yes, i guess if they had the energy and will to do it, I believe I sure can too no matter how tedious the process may seem, now that am a mother of two toddlers.
Would love to get more study tips from you all.Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-28-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default getting residency after completing residency in india

hi.. i have completed my MBBS in 2008 and then i did residency(M.S.) in general surgery in India which completed in 2011..i did private practice for about 1& half yrs and currently i am a senior resident in delhi.. i have just started preparing for usmle step 1... i have few questions..
1 - what are my chances of getting residency in surgical branches if i manage to get high scores?
2 - will doing residency in india can help in any way?
3- after completing all steps, how much time generally it will take before getting residency..
4- what are the other options?

i have a lot of confusion regarding this..
please do comment..
thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-28-2013
USMLE-Success-Academy's Avatar
Official Advertiser Representative
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 119
Threads: 15
Thanked 149 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinepkd View Post
hi.. i have completed my MBBS in 2008 and then i did residency(M.S.) in general surgery in India which completed in 2011..i did private practice for about 1& half yrs and currently i am a senior resident in delhi.. i have just started preparing for usmle step 1... i have few questions..
1 - what are my chances of getting residency in surgical branches if i manage to get high scores?
2 - will doing residency in india can help in any way?
3- after completing all steps, how much time generally it will take before getting residency..
4- what are the other options?

i have a lot of confusion regarding this..
please do comment..
thanks in advance
Hello sinepkd,

Allow me to answer your questions below:

1 - what are my chances of getting residency in surgical branches if i manage to get high scores?

Surgery is as always, very competitive. You will definitely need very good scores! The good news for you is that with your background in surgery, if you can manage good scores on your Step 1 & Step 2 CK then you will likely have a small advantage over those without such great background credentials.

2 - will doing residency in india can help in any way?

Hard to say if it will have a dramatic impact, but it will likely be a positive aspect because it demonstrates your love and passion for the field of surgery... Now I cannot speak for all programs, but I speak with many and one of the common things they look for in potential candidates is a demonstrable interest in the field - which you obviously can show for! A good advantage for sure.

3- after completing all steps, how much time generally it will take before getting residency..

Residency applications go out mid-Sept for July starts... as long as you time your exams right (ie. finish with grades in hand by application time), then you can expect to fall into the typical timeframe. You should aim to complete your steps for summer (ie. June/July/Aug), just so you have enough time to prepare everything for your Sept application... The timeline of residency in the US is a long process, so just be sure you can time it right so you aren't stuck waiting for over a year.

4- what are the other options?

If you want a US residency, there are no other options.


Good luck in your endeavour!

Let me know if you have any more questions or need any guidance.

Dr. Paul
__________________
The USMLE Success Academy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sinepkd (10-28-2013)
  #8  
Old 10-28-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMLE-Success-Academy View Post
Hello sinepkd,

Allow me to answer your questions below:

1 - what are my chances of getting residency in surgical branches if i manage to get high scores?

Surgery is as always, very competitive. You will definitely need very good scores! The good news for you is that with your background in surgery, if you can manage good scores on your Step 1 & Step 2 CK then you will likely have a small advantage over those without such great background credentials.

2 - will doing residency in india can help in any way?

Hard to say if it will have a dramatic impact, but it will likely be a positive aspect because it demonstrates your love and passion for the field of surgery... Now I cannot speak for all programs, but I speak with many and one of the common things they look for in potential candidates is a demonstrable interest in the field - which you obviously can show for! A good advantage for sure.

3- after completing all steps, how much time generally it will take before getting residency..

Residency applications go out mid-Sept for July starts... as long as you time your exams right (ie. finish with grades in hand by application time), then you can expect to fall into the typical timeframe. You should aim to complete your steps for summer (ie. June/July/Aug), just so you have enough time to prepare everything for your Sept application... The timeline of residency in the US is a long process, so just be sure you can time it right so you aren't stuck waiting for over a year.

4- what are the other options?

If you want a US residency, there are no other options.


Good luck in your endeavour!

Let me know if you have any more questions or need any guidance.

Dr. Paul
thank you very much Dr. Paul... for so much good advises and inputs...
it is highly appreciated...
i have planned to take and clear all steps till July 2014...
well in references for other options, i wanted to ask about clinical research in field of surgery, though i haven't have any prior experiences....
thanks again Dr. Paul........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-28-2013
USMLE-Success-Academy's Avatar
Official Advertiser Representative
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 119
Threads: 15
Thanked 149 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinepkd View Post
thank you very much Dr. Paul... for so much good advises and inputs...
it is highly appreciated...
i have planned to take and clear all steps till July 2014...
well in references for other options, i wanted to ask about clinical research in field of surgery, though i haven't have any prior experiences....
thanks again Dr. Paul........
No problem! I'm happy to help.

The best way to gain research in a chosen field (in addition to making important contacts), is to approach the surgeons and/or surgery residents in your hospital and simply tell them your desire to get into the field and ask if there is anything currently being researched. In my experience, if you are sincere and demonstrate your willingness to participate and more importantly, help them, then they will usually welcome you with open arms if there is in fact anything going on. Aside from this strategy, unless you know someone somewhere then it is hard to get into clinical research... this will also open up doors for you in the future if you want to pursue clinical research as a career.

Hopefully that works for you - I know a lot of people who have been successful with this strategy... I personally knew someone who helped me gain research experience, but that was pure luck and not a strategy.

Good luck.
__________________
The USMLE Success Academy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-28-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 319 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 329
Default YOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaVic View Post
I am a IMG of 2005 wanting to take step1 in 2014 hopefully since I need to get the green light from ECFMG to proceed for exam dates/registration. I believe I am pretty late now for step1......... But want to try it out. Is there some age bar to undertake the exam? Also is Kaplan material really all that we need??
They will not discriminate you by age, but they definitely will by your YOG(which is indirectly reflecting your age).Im experiencing this right now, no single IV, massive rejections, even they have on their website "No YOG cut off", its a pure lie.I called PC one of the programs and she told me they prefer fresh grads, because old can not accomodate to system requirements.Even I told her afterwards, Ive been working here nearly for 5 years and Im already in the system.So, looks like 2 months of observeship+ fresh grad is better than older grad+ 5 years of USCE.It makes a lot of sense, isnt it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 10-29-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 148
Threads: 26
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to ashok1
Default

@Marina99, in which US state u r located and applied for ? how was ur scores for steps ? do u think those having GC have slightly better advantage ? /i'm also an old IMG .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 10-29-2013
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 226
Threads: 15
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 102
Default

Dr. Paul I have aquestion for you. What is better for old IMGs, 1-2 month externship or Step3 or both besides high scores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Old-Grads

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Age limit for matching gsmo12 IMG Residency Match Forum 4 10-30-2013 03:11 PM
FA page limit in a day. samren17 USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 07-04-2013 09:35 AM
USMLE Age Limit drlotus USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 05-13-2013 05:46 PM
Limit to diagnostics? greater_infinity USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 1 05-01-2013 08:08 PM
USMLE Attempts Limit doct4u General Topics Forum 4 10-05-2012 10:42 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)