Pictures and Imaging in Step 1 Exam! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-25-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 25
Threads: 8
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Question Pictures and Imaging in Step 1 Exam!

There seems to be a lot of comments from people who have taken the exam recently talking about too many Pics!!!
Any one who've had the exam or knows helpful info plz pitch in ...

Can u please elaborate more on what the CTs Xrays and pics where about ?
Were the CTs and Xrays of normal structures and they asked u something about pathology related to them ? or they were about anatomy ?

did u see a lot of anatomy Qs ? (and after doing the exam would u advice reading FA+Qbanks only, for gross anatomy?)

Is Underground clinical vignette anatomy a good book to read ?

were the neuroanatomy pics difficult (does HY NA pics suffice?)

Did they bring a lot of Microbiology pics? (and if, whats ur advice?)

I Know they are TOO MANY Qs, but if u can help plz do ...

Thx a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
whitecoat (11-26-2013)



  #2  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 120
Threads: 5
Thanked 239 Times in 72 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa3eedi View Post
There seems to be a lot of comments from people who have taken the exam recently talking about too many Pics!!!
Any one who've had the exam or knows helpful info plz pitch in ...

Can u please elaborate more on what the CTs Xrays and pics where about ?
Were the CTs and Xrays of normal structures and they asked u something about pathology related to them ? or they were about anatomy ?

did u see a lot of anatomy Qs ? (and after doing the exam would u advice reading FA+Qbanks only, for gross anatomy?)

Is Underground clinical vignette anatomy a good book to read ?

were the neuroanatomy pics difficult (does HY NA pics suffice?)

Did they bring a lot of Microbiology pics? (and if, whats ur advice?)

I Know they are TOO MANY Qs, but if u can help plz do ...

Thx a lot

Yes i gave exam recently and it was highly integrated with pictures/cts/xrays but i assure you that if youve studied properly they wont give you a hard time. I didnt used any special source for them. CT xrays i studied from kaplan lectures and books and for pictures mostly the ones in pathoma or first aid and in uworld and i scored decent in step 1. Majorly because most of the question stems have usually clues for the answer and you dont have to rely completely on the picture for the question. If you can go through some picture resources that can be a good idea . There were some micro images too in the exam.
Neuro was highly tested so should use a good resource for that.
I would recommend atleast doing abdomen thorax from KLN because it would cover alot of cts etc and other highyield stuff , rest you can rely on FA n uworld.
I have no idea about that anatomy book you mentioned
__________________
Step 1 Done , Step 2CK Done , Step 2 CS [Pass 1st attempt] , Step 3 [ ]
2015's match INSHALLAH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Neuron (11-26-2013), nsesereso (11-27-2013), pranavmerchant (12-03-2013), Sa3eedi (11-26-2013), swwal (11-26-2013)
  #3  
Old 11-26-2013
Neuron's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 184
Threads: 5
Thanked 86 Times in 62 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepassion20 View Post
Yes i gave exam recently and it was highly integrated with pictures/cts/xrays but i assure you that if youve studied properly they wont give you a hard time. I didnt used any special source for them. CT xrays i studied from kaplan lectures and books and for pictures mostly the ones in pathoma or first aid and in uworld and i scored decent in step 1. Majorly because most of the question stems have usually clues for the answer and you dont have to rely completely on the picture for the question. If you can go through some picture resources that can be a good idea . There were some micro images too in the exam.
Neuro was highly tested so should use a good resource for that.
I would recommend atleast doing abdomen thorax from KLN because it would cover alot of cts etc and other highyield stuff , rest you can rely on FA n uworld.
I have no idea about that anatomy book you mentioned
Did u find some pictures that were the same on the nbme? In general did u find some qs on the real exam that u exactly found before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 120
Threads: 5
Thanked 239 Times in 72 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuron View Post
Did u find some pictures that were the same on the nbme? In general did u find some qs on the real exam that u exactly found before?
Maybe a few , most of the questions had the similar concepts i was tested before in uworld , but in a different way. Dont freak out much about pictures. Use a resource like web path for a quick review and focus mainly on your study material You will be fine
__________________
Step 1 Done , Step 2CK Done , Step 2 CS [Pass 1st attempt] , Step 3 [ ]
2015's match INSHALLAH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeer (11-26-2013), Neuron (11-26-2013)
  #5  
Old 11-26-2013
Neuron's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 184
Threads: 5
Thanked 86 Times in 62 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepassion20 View Post
Maybe a few , most of the questions had the similar concepts i was tested before in uworld , but in a different way. Dont freak out much about pictures. Use a resource like web path for a quick review and focus mainly on your study material You will be fine
Thank you very much for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 26
Thanked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa3eedi View Post
There seems to be a lot of comments from people who have taken the exam recently talking about too many Pics!!!
Any one who've had the exam or knows helpful info plz pitch in ...

Can u please elaborate more on what the CTs Xrays and pics where about ?
Were the CTs and Xrays of normal structures and they asked u something about pathology related to them ? or they were about anatomy ?

did u see a lot of anatomy Qs ? (and after doing the exam would u advice reading FA+Qbanks only, for gross anatomy?)

Is Underground clinical vignette anatomy a good book to read ?

were the neuroanatomy pics difficult (does HY NA pics suffice?)

Did they bring a lot of Microbiology pics? (and if, whats ur advice?)

I Know they are TOO MANY Qs, but if u can help plz do ...

Thx a lot

Hi,
I took the exam yesterday. I don't think there were a lot of crazy pictures. Nothing really surprising, nothing that one couldn't understand based on a good preparation on FA/UW.
I remember having chest Xray of COPD, CT of the brain or gross brain - normal pics. For neuroanatomy I feel the pics in the various NBMEs, UW & FA are enough. They want you you to think (you need to have the knowledge obviously)!
NOt many anatomy pics, at least in my test. There were some anatomy Qs that I wasn't sure about (mastication muscles, muscles in the pelvis).
I had micro's pics, but the vignette was definitely helpful - I remeber a couple of qs showing multinucleated cells - HSV - and the vignette was enought for the answer (painful genital vescicle or something like that).

The exam is doable, you have to DEEPLY understand everything that is in FA, and being able to apply it. There are very few one-step Qs. You always have to think! Make sure that you understand everything in FA, and you'll be fine !

Good luck!

Veronica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abeer (11-26-2013), nsesereso (11-27-2013), pranavmerchant (12-03-2013), Sa3eedi (11-26-2013)
  #7  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 126
Threads: 32
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to Irha
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vero View Post
Hi,
I took the exam yesterday. I don't think there were a lot of crazy pictures. Nothing really surprising, nothing that one couldn't understand based on a good preparation on FA/UW.
I remember having chest Xray of COPD, CT of the brain or gross brain - normal pics. For neuroanatomy I feel the pics in the various NBMEs, UW & FA are enough. They want you you to think (you need to have the knowledge obviously)!
NOt many anatomy pics, at least in my test. There were some anatomy Qs that I wasn't sure about (mastication muscles, muscles in the pelvis).
I had micro's pics, but the vignette was definitely helpful - I remeber a couple of qs showing multinucleated cells - HSV - and the vignette was enought for the answer (painful genital vescicle or something like that).

The exam is doable, you have to DEEPLY understand everything that is in FA, and being able to apply it. There are very few one-step Qs. You always have to think! Make sure that you understand everything in FA, and you'll be fine !

Good luck!

Veronica
Thanks for guidin.So you think Exam is doable after doing FA+uworld n Patoma well??is genetics n biochem enough from kaplan??thnx
__________________
If Allah should aid you,no one can overcome you;But if he should forshake you,who is there who can aid you after him.And upon Allah let the believers rely!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-26-2013
abeer's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 369
Threads: 3
Thanked 195 Times in 83 Posts
Reputation: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vero View Post
Hi,
I took the exam yesterday. I don't think there were a lot of crazy pictures. Nothing really surprising, nothing that one couldn't understand based on a good preparation on FA/UW.
I remember having chest Xray of COPD, CT of the brain or gross brain - normal pics. For neuroanatomy I feel the pics in the various NBMEs, UW & FA are enough. They want you you to think (you need to have the knowledge obviously)!
NOt many anatomy pics, at least in my test. There were some anatomy Qs that I wasn't sure about (mastication muscles, muscles in the pelvis).
I had micro's pics, but the vignette was definitely helpful - I remeber a couple of qs showing multinucleated cells - HSV - and the vignette was enought for the answer (painful genital vescicle or something like that).

The exam is doable, you have to DEEPLY understand everything that is in FA, and being able to apply it. There are very few one-step Qs. You always have to think! Make sure that you understand everything in FA, and you'll be fine !

Good luck!

Veronica

Thanx dear !! big thanx !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 26
Thanked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 185
Default

I think you can find everything in FA and UW! There were maybe 5% of Qs out of the blue, the rest was at least mentioned in FA. But FA doesn't really explain anything...so you have to use other sources in order to deeply understand all the concepts. I personally used the kaplan lectures and pathoma, but at the end I was only using FA and UW...
This exam is about understanding, obviously you need to memorize a lot as well, but this is not enough. You really need to use your brain, that's the difficult part... because after 4 blocks my brain was so ready to give up!! BUt you have to keep focused.
Make sure you understand everything in the books. Don't go crazy with million of other sources, just consolidate everything in FA during your preparation. Make sure you sleep and eat enough the day before and the day of the exam!

good good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
CisternaChyli (11-26-2013), nsesereso (11-27-2013), truepassion20 (11-26-2013)
  #10  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 26
Thanked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irha View Post
Thanks for guidin.So you think Exam is doable after doing FA+uworld n Patoma well??is genetics n biochem enough from kaplan??thnx
FA genetics is enough. Make sure you do some excercises/questions (UW shoud be enough). Biochemistry is very concise in FA, but everything you need is at least mentioned there. The only thing is fatty acids synthesis and oxidation, that's not enough in FA, Kaplan is better. Use kaplan when you don't get a concept cristal clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 367
Threads: 0
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vero View Post
FA genetics is enough. Make sure you do some excercises/questions (UW shoud be enough). Biochemistry is very concise in FA, but everything you need is at least mentioned there. The only thing is fatty acids synthesis and oxidation, that's not enough in FA, Kaplan is better. Use kaplan when you don't get a concept cristal clear.
yeah the only thing worrying me is genetics and biostats; the kaplan Q bank questions are really tough in that...i thought even the U world questions for stats were a bit tough (stats is my absolute weakest area)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 26
Thanked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CisternaChyli View Post
yeah the only thing worrying me is genetics and biostats; the kaplan Q bank questions are really tough in that...i thought even the U world questions for stats were a bit tough (stats is my absolute weakest area)...
Stats in my exam was really easy. I recall a q about sensibility, one about false positive, one about number needed to treat, a couple about the type of study and one about C.I. No crazy calculations overall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 367
Threads: 0
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vero View Post
Stats in my exam was really easy. I recall a q about sensibility, one about false positive, one about number needed to treat, a couple about the type of study and one about C.I. No crazy calculations overall!
okay that sounds a lot better . I know there have been horror stories on here about really tough stats and genetics questions, so i was worried about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 25
Threads: 8
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default Thank you

For every one that replied u really helped ...

It seems to me that people who do the exam and R a little stressed afterward tend to over inflate things despite them doing very well ...

About biostat I read the previous comment, but I'm a little worried about it and was thinking of reading HY biostat , but do u think BRS+Qbanks R enough ?

THX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 11-27-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 198
Threads: 26
Thanked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa3eedi View Post
For every one that replied u really helped ...

It seems to me that people who do the exam and R a little stressed afterward tend to over inflate things despite them doing very well ...

About biostat I read the previous comment, but I'm a little worried about it and was thinking of reading HY biostat , but do u think BRS+Qbanks R enough ?

THX
I watched the kaplan videos for biostats, but to be honest if you understand the concepts, FA is enough.

Do plenty of Qs of stats & genetics, to make sure you got the concepts and you are fine with the calculations. Also, often the number used are the same (like 100 - etc), you could find a question with the same numbers, and you don't even need to calculate!
UW is fine, but you can find more exercises online also!

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sa3eedi (11-28-2013)



  #16  
Old 11-27-2013
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 367
Threads: 0
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vero View Post
I watched the kaplan videos for biostats, but to be honest if you understand the concepts, FA is enough.

Do plenty of Qs of stats & genetics, to make sure you got the concepts and you are fine with the calculations. Also, often the number used are the same (like 100 - etc), you could find a question with the same numbers, and you don't even need to calculate!
UW is fine, but you can find more exercises online also!

Best of luck!
where can we find the exercises online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 15
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Best source for pics in USMLE

Hey guys, Checkout the book "Dermatology for the USMLE" in Amazon.

Cover all derm topics for the boards, excellent source to score high. It has HIGH quality pics for every disease you may encounter in the USMLE's.

Bought it in amazon 5 months ago, it is awesome. A must have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 1 Week Ago
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepassion20 View Post
Yes i gave exam recently and it was highly integrated with pictures/cts/xrays but i assure you that if youve studied properly they wont give you a hard time. I didnt used any special source for them. CT xrays i studied from kaplan lectures and books and for pictures mostly the ones in pathoma or first aid and in uworld and i scored decent in step 1. Majorly because most of the question stems have usually clues for the answer and you dont have to rely completely on the picture for the question. If you can go through some picture resources that can be a good idea . There were some micro images too in the exam.
Neuro was highly tested so should use a good resource for that.
I would recommend atleast doing abdomen thorax from KLN because it would cover alot of cts etc and other highyield stuff , rest you can rely on FA n uworld.
I have no idea about that anatomy book you mentioned
Thank you for this. I have started doing that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dermatology Pictures for the CK Exam tamta USMLE Step 2 CK Bits & Pieces 106 4 Weeks Ago 10:12 AM
Which Imaging to diagnose MS? homa_7 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 05-04-2012 10:54 AM
Imaging Follow up of UTI soulhead USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 7 02-24-2012 11:35 AM
Study USMLE Exam Pictures and Images geof1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 02-11-2011 10:27 AM
Pictures in USMLE Step 1! poonam USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 07-14-2010 04:11 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)