Limited Time Prep - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Listening Limited Time Prep

Hello dear colleagues, friends in this battle with Step 1,

I am currently in a difficult situation with my Step 1 preparation now and I extremely need your advice.

I had been preparing for the Step 1 and set up a date of my exam. I worked at my PhD thesis at that time and had to postpone my initial exam date to the subsequent eligibility period. I am working every day at Step 1 preparation, but unfortunately a few events have accidently stopped my prepararion for some time. I also work as a physician and assistant of the IM Department. My exam is on 30th of January 2014.

I have done Kaplan Lecture notes with videos Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathoma. I have also revised that subjects in FA. So, I have 1.5 months to do Micro and Immuno, Pharmacology, Behvioral Science and USMLE World Qbank (1 month). Can you recommend the most useful and the shortest resources, since time is very limited, please? Kaplan is great, but too long and detailed.

I also think about DIT+FA and UWorld combination as the most rational alternative in this situation. Should I plan NBMEs only for training purposes (I can not postpone my exam date). What do you think about that?

Please, give me all your suggestions and advices about the best, the most optimal solution. I would gladly appreciate your help. Thank you!

Last edited by danylo; 12-14-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 12-15-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,031 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5127
Default

I think your plan is appropriate but I just want to tell you that you should not compromise your score no matter what. If the NBME tells you that your score is not what you are aiming for then postpone even if it means paying the fees again.

USMLE score is the most important factor in getting you into residency.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
250orbust (12-15-2013), danylo (12-15-2013)
  #3  
Old 12-15-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
I think your plan is appropriate but I just want to tell you that you should not compromise your score no matter what. If the NBME tells you that your score is not what you are aiming for then postpone even if it means paying the fees again.

USMLE score is the most important factor in getting you into residency.

-
Thank you very much for your feedback! I want just to specify a few points.

You mentioned that my plan was appropriate. Did you mean to study the rest material with Kaplan, UWorld and FA (more solid) or to use a combination of DIT+FA+UWorld (more rational) in your personal opinion?

Is it really better to postpone if NBME's result is not as good as I plan to? Is a delay considered as an attempt in the residency application or only quantity of attempts and scores matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 12-15-2013
drglo's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 96
Threads: 18
Thanked 55 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danylo View Post
Hello dear colleagues, friends in this battle with Step 1,

I am currently in a difficult situation with my Step 1 preparation now and I extremely need your advice.

I had been preparing for the Step 1 and set up a date of my exam. I worked at my PhD thesis at that time and had to postpone my initial exam date to the subsequent eligibility period. I am working every day at Step 1 preparation, but unfortunately a few events have accidently stopped my prepararion for some time. I also work as a physician and assistant of the IM Department. My exam is on 30th of January 2014.

I have done Kaplan Lecture notes with videos Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathoma. I have also revised that subjects in FA. So, I have 1.5 months to do Micro and Immuno, Pharmacology, Behvioral Science and USMLE World Qbank (1 month). Can you recommend the most useful and the shortest resources, since time is very limited, please? Kaplan is great, but too long and detailed.

I also think about DIT+FA and UWorld combination as the most rational alternative in this situation. Should I plan NBMEs only for training purposes (I can not postpone my exam date). What do you think about that?

Please, give me all your suggestions and advices about the best, the most optimal solution. I would gladly appreciate your help. Thank you!
Hi danylo,
I am not the best person to suggest about your prep may be. Still will try as you asked. In my opinion you should cover at least the following ( Shortest resources, If you have time you can do more of course)..
Start Uworld ASAP. The annotations you will be making will help cover much of the deficiencies of the material, so don't delay that.
Micro only FA+uworld is enough.
Immuno kaplan LN and if you can manage time, videos. With FA+uworld.
Pharmacology FA+uworld. If you have difficulty in understanding some topic go to kaplan for that only.
BS for topics like epidemiology, biostats, learning, defense mechanism kaplan LN plus videos is a must. Should go through other topics too, but IMO videos can be skipped for those if time doesn't permit. FA+ uworld covers the rest.
DIT is too time consuming, I won't suggest that giving your time constraints.
Ultimately, its upto you what and how much you want to cover.
Try to cover as much of these as possible, and take an nbme after 15-20 days. See where you stand. I agree with Steptaker, if you are serious about getting a residency in the US, you should not risk appearing in the exam with nbme not reflecting your desired score. So, take an nbme, if you are there- well and good, if not ask yourself does it seem possible to get there in next 2-3 weeks you have? If the answer is no, don't risk it no matter what.
NBMEs reflect your preparation at that point. Should be taken seriously and appear in the exam only if you can live with a score +/-10 points of your latest nbme score.
Hope it helped.
__________________
- Shoot for the moon; even if you miss it, you'll land among the stars -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
danylo (12-15-2013)
  #5  
Old 12-15-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drglo View Post
Hi danylo,
I am not the best person to suggest about your prep may be. Still will try as you asked. In my opinion you should cover at least the following ( Shortest resources, If you have time you can do more of course)..
Start Uworld ASAP. The annotations you will be making will help cover much of the deficiencies of the material, so don't delay that.
Micro only FA+uworld is enough.
Immuno kaplan LN and if you can manage time, videos. With FA+uworld.
Pharmacology FA+uworld. If you have difficulty in understanding some topic go to kaplan for that only.
BS for topics like epidemiology, biostats, learning, defense mechanism kaplan LN plus videos is a must. Should go through other topics too, but IMO videos can be skipped for those if time doesn't permit. FA+ uworld covers the rest.
DIT is too time consuming, I won't suggest that giving your time constraints.
Ultimately, its upto you what and how much you want to cover.
Try to cover as much of these as possible, and take an nbme after 15-20 days. See where you stand. I agree with Steptaker, if you are serious about getting a residency in the US, you should not risk appearing in the exam with nbme not reflecting your desired score. So, take an nbme, if you are there- well and good, if not ask yourself does it seem possible to get there in next 2-3 weeks you have? If the answer is no, don't risk it no matter what.
NBMEs reflect your preparation at that point. Should be taken seriously and appear in the exam only if you can live with a score +/-10 points of your latest nbme score.
Hope it helped.
Thank you very much for your advice! That's really helpful. I will try to stick to your recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-16-2013
drglo's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 96
Threads: 18
Thanked 55 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danylo View Post
Thank you very much for your advice! That's really helpful. I will try to stick to your recommendations.
No problem
__________________
- Shoot for the moon; even if you miss it, you'll land among the stars -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-18-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by danylo View Post
Thank you very much for your feedback! I want just to specify a few points.

You mentioned that my plan was appropriate. Did you mean to study the rest material with Kaplan, UWorld and FA (more solid) or to use a combination of DIT+FA+UWorld (more rational) in your personal opinion?

Is it really better to postpone if NBME's result is not as good as I plan to? Is a delay considered as an attempt in the residency application or only quantity of attempts and scores matter?

Hi Doc,

My eligibility period was from october to december 2013..........how can i extend my eligibility period ? I want to take exam in the next slot of jan to march. Thank you so much. Please help me with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-19-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 25
Threads: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCatMD View Post
Hi Doc,

My eligibility period was from october to december 2013..........how can i extend my eligibility period ? I want to take exam in the next slot of jan to march. Thank you so much. Please help me with this.
Hi colleague,
You should go to your IWA account at the ECFMG web site and choose to extend your original eligibility period. If you set up a date of your exam with Prometric, you should cancel or change it at the Prometric site. You will probably have to pay some fee depending on quantity of days to your exam's date. All the detailed information is at the ECMG booklet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perfusion limited versus diffusion limited drmdshah USMLE Step 1 Forum 13 07-01-2014 03:59 PM
Second Time CK Prep DANI88 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 04-03-2013 10:20 AM
Last week of prep; MTB-first time or UW-second time? sonu.agarwall USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 01-14-2013 11:34 AM
Free Externship Rotation - Limited Time ACA USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 01-10-2013 04:20 PM
Perfusion Limited Versus Diffusion Limited Respiration heights USMLE Step 1 Bits & Pieces 0 05-04-2011 10:06 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)