Zee' Khan 185 ---238 step-1 experience 2014 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Experiences Zee' Khan 185 ---238 step-1 experience 2014

Cannot believe its over ! & finaly its My turn to write down Step-1 experience Like some one said : USmle is colonoscopy of brain without anesthesia !hell its true but i am Glad its Over i wana thank you nassero JEans & aman.J for help n prayers

i am writing down this experience for NAsseero ''& imran & my sister so i thought i should share it with you guys
BACKGROUND : average student- or below average.
PREP time : 11 months
AVERAGE time 7--11 hr per day (oh yeah ' )my suggestion would be always minus 2 hours from time you spend on study tabel so i did 9 hours i count it as 7
ALWYAS Go LIBRARY! u do twice the amount of Work as compared to home
you see people around you studying it gives you boost' - i studies in (HEATH scienes library)
evnvironment matters alott!
Material i used :
KAPLAN videos + notes all subject
physio i used BRS + kaplan
neurology :HY & KAPLAN +( dr najeeb neurology videos once ) after that i wos strongest in neuro
PATHOLOGY: pathoma videos + Goljan RR aka GolJ'Oma ! its a killer combo if u Add goljans' audio aswell - - i did it twice best decision ever
FA 3 times ( use FA to reviseconcepts --donot memorise it ---) example in FA it says cirhosis have smal testes.ask ur self why?? make connections--donot memorise it Ok?
or why D.I.C patient have pleuritic chest pain??--uremia guys '''make concepts ok??
FA takes you to 235-- not more then that (in my opinion)
i didnot do D I T - i couldnot lol they were reading FA in my face !lol
UW offline ( that wos mistake i made)
QBANKS ? USMLE Rx 73%
UW : 1st offline 2nd after 7 months 79% online
GOLJAn questions i did 200 qs from Goljan RR online

no one replied to My threads on this fourm so i wil point them out so that i can help you guys
should i use -
FLASH CARDS? YES! do them daily - i had 3 question from kaplan pharma cards no kidding
MICRO ? i used Kaplan Notes as flash cards i did one Bug a day in last 4 months man its amazing Book you wont miss a single question
anatomy KLN is enough with Qbanks
Immunology? kaplan notes are best!
neurlogy : KLN best if u can Do HY man they are amazing notes for neuro (if you have strong basis in neuro alreadY)
Pharma: FA is enough+ KAPLAN Flash cards-(they help on step-2 aswell)
here is oerder of my nbmes

NBME 5- after 1st read 185 .. yeah its a fail! it shattered me but here is the thing i studies day & nights after that so why do we fall mr wayne?
NBME-11 ONLINE 226 after two months
NBME 3-231 after a week
NBME 12-228 after 40 days
NBME 15-233 after 40 days
UWSA-1 262 (oh yeah i felt it wos easy i ddin guess guestions so it wos my score not mere luck) after 3 dasy
Exam 18decmber
real score 238 ... AlhamdulilAh i am content- i had mixed feeling at that time becuase i always dreamt of 250 but nonetheless i wos happy that AllAh gave me marks more then my nbme

QBANKS-
usmle rx is my fav Qbanks it took me from 180--230
yes guys its easy but Fact it its All FA & you wana do FA for USmle donot you??

kaplan Qbank goes with KLN notes do it if u can in 1st read ( i wish i knew that) I didnot Do kaplan Qbank!!!
UW is stupid Qbank lol i hated it it doesn cover all topics But IT is THE best Qbank despit emy hate for it
see what makes UW best?? its written in exam style do 1st time UW slow n make concepts
2nd time ? do 3-4 blocks per day esp in last two weeks --(very important) it trains ur mind how to think for USmle & at this point you need TEST taking skill Not knowledge ( you had had enough knowledge just trust yourself n imrove skills now)
Biostats : it wos my achiles heel ' guys if i wos not sccoring well on nbmes? wos it pathology? no i can show u my NBme images i had ...graphs All stars toward right side (i.e best performence in pathology) n below border line in biostats n behaviour ****! those doc patient rel qs ...
KAPLAn is STUPID book For biostats .. last month of my prep i picked up
HY biostats this Book is like as if some friend talking To you & teaching you biostats & my score improved after using HY & i wished i had done it earlier--

REASON i could not GET 250 -- LACK of Guidance -else i had put 100% input and thats mwhy i am proud of 238 cuz i went from bottom to top!cuz i did it on my own with help of GOD''prayers of freinds n faimly

for those guys struggling with scores..
NEVER GIVE UP!- you are like a fighter'''this USmle is Boxxing match-- just donot give up
even if u have no strength to stand up...
there were moments when i cried ( i am not ashamed to admit --you cry when dreams break )) cuz my dream of 250 wos breaking but i never broke...up i wud scream inside THAt I AM NOT GIVING UUPPP!!!
& trust me i ran out of time if ihad time i would not have stopped studying tiill i scored 255..i have to take CK n CS .so i fought till last round
if i can Do it you can do it just donot give up! fighters Donot give up You all are fighters Nver let anyone tell you You cant Do it
you lose it the moment you give up''

..FOR Those Who are Going to take exam:
end doesnt matter .. you pass or fail it doesnot matter..
you Donot know you wil be alive after 6 months or not so why do you worry about future?? Concentrate on present--
END doesnot matter now what matter is How you fought ..i told my self if i am going down i wil make sure it wos one hell a good fight -- & trust me i wos very focused on my exam i had no worries on exam days no nervous ness ''

MISTAKEs I MADE : Donot touch UW without basics or 1st read ( it took me double amount of time & wasted my time)--- Not doing HY biostats early in prep'
donot panic in last week you remmber alot donot read books do questions
--simulate exam--ateast twice before exam--- fe days before i got tired in exam & i lost concentration on 4th 5th block i think i cud ve got 240+ becuase after exam i felt i wos better then what i did on exam''i could have done better'

BEST OF LUCK GUYS !
QUESTIOns QUestion Question is the Key i DID 7000 questions
people who score 250 are may be better test takes.. do donot underestimate yourself
i know people who were 231 on NBme n Got 252'' i personlay know her so donot Compare your self with anyone JUST make sure YOU did HARD work n gave Your best
rest its ur LUCK.' many factors affect your score'' test taking skill is one of them
TC guys
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE

Last edited by vita86; 01-21-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
amrat (11-29-2015), anandhariharan (02-01-2014), CleverFOX (02-16-2015), daffodil386 (02-14-2015), devareddy (01-23-2014), docmoumi (09-28-2015), Dr. KnifeHappy (01-21-2014), Dr. P (10-01-2014), Dr.Albert (01-21-2014), drIT (04-28-2015), drlisa (01-22-2014), dwijeshsheth (01-21-2014), faith255 (01-22-2014), Farah afreen (02-09-2016), fido256 (01-23-2014), gagz (01-24-2014), hani daffodil (04-03-2014), helpmegod (08-29-2015), hemali_hpk (01-23-2014), Hopetopass2 (11-28-2014), IMGdoc26 (01-28-2015), jojo1hami (02-16-2015), Med4life (02-17-2015), Msaid24 (02-15-2015), Nahla -H (02-16-2015), Nijhum (01-21-2014), nsesereso (01-23-2014), pranavmerchant (01-21-2014), praru (11-20-2015), Rsadhu (12-18-2014), Salzee (02-16-2015), Shabi Mohammadi (02-16-2016), shine4ever (01-29-2014), slime66 (09-13-2014), spaduri (01-25-2014), spasstik (01-27-2014), Splenda (01-21-2014), ssmaraa (02-16-2015), Taayseer (08-17-2014), truepassion20 (01-23-2014), usmled10 (10-31-2014), usmleprepare (10-25-2014), vnagubandi (01-24-2014), vrush_1003 (01-24-2014), wa87el (01-21-2014), zaid200010 (01-25-2014), Zainab (10-19-2014), zainsyed (11-11-2014)



  #2  
Old 01-21-2014
medicalbiology's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 394
Threads: 128
Thanked 109 Times in 89 Posts
Reputation: 119
Default

Thanx for writing wonderful experience ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (01-21-2014)
  #3  
Old 01-21-2014
good_boy_1234's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 546
Threads: 91
Thanked 322 Times in 145 Posts
Reputation: 368
Default

Congrats MashAllah. Do you remember how many mistakes, at least, you got wrong in your real exam? 15? 30? 50?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 01-21-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 View Post
Congrats MashAllah. Do you remember how many mistakes, at least, you got wrong in your real exam? 15? 30? 50?
i am afraid not.-- i remmbered 5 questions i Got wrong-
one wos whats name of test for Medial cruciate ligament injury- varus or valgus
i knew evrything about knee except this lol

alot of gynae 10 to 15 questions on pregnant women'' -- STD & pelvis abdomen qs Ct scans'

one thing my friend. BE ready for long questions i.e 5 lines then lab value then 5 lines below i had these qs in5th block ! imagine when u are tired and......

so improve test taking skills
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
spasstik (01-27-2014)
  #5  
Old 01-21-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default thankx

thankx 4 shaing ur experiences i think it's quite helpful..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (01-21-2014)
  #6  
Old 01-21-2014
Dr. KnifeHappy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 19
Thanked 182 Times in 69 Posts
Reputation: 192
Default

Congrats buddy. Great score
__________________
~When FEAR knocks, let FAITH answer the door.~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (01-21-2014)
  #7  
Old 01-21-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 129
Threads: 33
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 29
Default

Congrats ..your motivation is amazing ..thank you ..
Have one question for you ..
Regarding Goljan Qbank ?? Is it very important ?
Do i have to do it ?
Since not a lot of ppl did it so i wanted to ask u since u did nearly half of it ..thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (01-23-2014)
  #8  
Old 01-21-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa87el View Post
Congrats ..your motivation is amazing ..thank you ..
Have one question for you ..
Regarding Goljan Qbank ?? Is it very important ?
Do i have to do it ?
Since not a lot of ppl did it so i wanted to ask u since u did nearly half of it ..thank you
i wuld say do as much qs as u can''
while doing exam if i hadnot done 7000 qs i would have been ...screwed badly even if i knew Goljan well'

if you have time Do them i had printed qs Goljan i did some online qs too( friends account) in my opinion they were Great question''i wud get many qs wrong''
it helped me to grip that volume compartment ICF ECf excellently (use goljan audio along while doing these qs 1 Hr per day )
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (01-23-2014)
  #9  
Old 01-21-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 14
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Great effort and great score....congrats, and thanx fr sharing ur experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (01-22-2014)
  #10  
Old 01-23-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Vita86 thanks for putting this up for me, ur sister and amanj.
We appreciate that. I know u would clear ck with ease.
I will take note of ur mistakes and build on your strength.
I was just touched when I read ur mail saying I would score 240+. That is the spirit of a good friend. yea genuine friends wish u better marks than what they got. You would go places with this spirit. All the best in your next move.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (01-23-2014)
  #11  
Old 01-23-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 58
Threads: 7
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita86 View Post
Cannot believe its over ! & finaly its My turn to write down Step-1 experience Like some one said : USmle is colonoscopy of brain without anesthesia !hell its true but i am Glad its Over i wana thank you nassero JEans & aman.J for help n prayers

i am writing down this experience for NAsseero ''& imran & my sister so i thought i should share it with you guys
BACKGROUND : average student- or below average.
PREP time : 11 months
AVERAGE time 7--11 hr per day (oh yeah ' )my suggestion would be always minus 2 hours from time you spend on study tabel so i did 9 hours i count it as 7
ALWYAS Go LIBRARY! u do twice the amount of Work as compared to home
you see people around you studying it gives you boost' - i studies in (HEATH scienes library)
evnvironment matters alott!
Material i used :
KAPLAN videos + notes all subject
physio i used BRS + kaplan
neurology :HY & KAPLAN +( dr najeeb neurology videos once ) after that i wos strongest in neuro
PATHOLOGY: pathoma videos + Goljan RR aka GolJ'Oma ! its a killer combo if u Add goljans' audio aswell - - i did it twice best decision ever
FA 3 times ( use FA to reviseconcepts --donot memorise it ---) example in FA it says cirhosis have smal testes.ask ur self why?? make connections--donot memorise it Ok?
or why D.I.C patient have pleuritic chest pain??--uremia guys '''make concepts ok??
FA takes you to 235-- not more then that (in my opinion)
i didnot do D I T - i couldnot lol they were reading FA in my face !lol
UW offline ( that wos mistake i made)
QBANKS ? USMLE Rx 73%
UW : 1st offline 2nd after 7 months 79% online
GOLJAn questions i did 200 qs from Goljan RR online

no one replied to My threads on this fourm so i wil point them out so that i can help you guys
should i use -
FLASH CARDS? YES! do them daily - i had 3 question from kaplan pharma cards no kidding
MICRO ? i used Kaplan Notes as flash cards i did one Bug a day in last 4 months man its amazing Book you wont miss a single question
anatomy KLN is enough with Qbanks
Immunology? kaplan notes are best!
neurlogy : KLN best if u can Do HY man they are amazing notes for neuro (if you have strong basis in neuro alreadY)
Pharma: FA is enough+ KAPLAN Flash cards-(they help on step-2 aswell)
here is oerder of my nbmes

NBME 5- after 1st read 185 .. yeah its a fail! it shattered me but here is the thing i studies day & nights after that so why do we fall mr wayne?
NBME-11 ONLINE 226 after two months
NBME 3-231 after a week
NBME 12-228 after 40 days
NBME 15-233 after 40 days
UWSA-1 262 (oh yeah i felt it wos easy i ddin guess guestions so it wos my score not mere luck) after 3 dasy
Exam 18decmber
real score 238 ... AlhamdulilAh i am content- i had mixed feeling at that time becuase i always dreamt of 250 but nonetheless i wos happy that AllAh gave me marks more then my nbme

QBANKS-
usmle rx is my fav Qbanks it took me from 180--230
yes guys its easy but Fact it its All FA & you wana do FA for USmle donot you??

kaplan Qbank goes with KLN notes do it if u can in 1st read ( i wish i knew that) I didnot Do kaplan Qbank!!!
UW is stupid Qbank lol i hated it it doesn cover all topics But IT is THE best Qbank despit emy hate for it
see what makes UW best?? its written in exam style do 1st time UW slow n make concepts
2nd time ? do 3-4 blocks per day esp in last two weeks --(very important) it trains ur mind how to think for USmle & at this point you need TEST taking skill Not knowledge ( you had had enough knowledge just trust yourself n imrove skills now)
Biostats : it wos my achiles heel ' guys if i wos not sccoring well on nbmes? wos it pathology? no i can show u my NBme images i had ...graphs All stars toward right side (i.e best performence in pathology) n below border line in biostats n behaviour ****! those doc patient rel qs ...
KAPLAn is STUPID book For biostats .. last month of my prep i picked up
HY biostats this Book is like as if some friend talking To you & teaching you biostats & my score improved after using HY & i wished i had done it earlier--

REASON i could not GET 250 -- LACK of Guidance -else i had put 100% input and thats mwhy i am proud of 238 cuz i went from bottom to top!cuz i did it on my own with help of GOD''prayers of freinds n faimly

for those guys struggling with scores..
NEVER GIVE UP!- you are like a fighter'''this USmle is Boxxing match-- just donot give up
even if u have no strength to stand up...
there were moments when i cried ( i am not ashamed to admit --you cry when dreams break )) cuz my dream of 250 wos breaking but i never broke...up i wud scream inside THAt I AM NOT GIVING UUPPP!!!
& trust me i ran out of time if ihad time i would not have stopped studying tiill i scored 255..i have to take CK n CS .so i fought till last round
if i can Do it you can do it just donot give up! fighters Donot give up You all are fighters Nver let anyone tell you You cant Do it
you lose it the moment you give up''

..FOR Those Who are Going to take exam:
end doesnt matter .. you pass or fail it doesnot matter..
you Donot know you wil be alive after 6 months or not so why do you worry about future?? Concentrate on present--
END doesnot matter now what matter is How you fought ..i told my self if i am going down i wil make sure it wos one hell a good fight -- & trust me i wos very focused on my exam i had no worries on exam days no nervous ness ''

MISTAKEs I MADE : Donot touch UW without basics or 1st read ( it took me double amount of time & wasted my time)--- Not doing HY biostats early in prep'
donot panic in last week you remmber alot donot read books do questions
--simulate exam--ateast twice before exam--- fe days before i got tired in exam & i lost concentration on 4th 5th block i think i cud ve got 240+ becuase after exam i felt i wos better then what i did on exam''i could have done better'

BEST OF LUCK GUYS !
QUESTIOns QUestion Question is the Key i DID 7000 questions
people who score 250 are may be better test takes.. do donot underestimate yourself
i know people who were 231 on NBme n Got 252'' i personlay know her so donot Compare your self with anyone JUST make sure YOU did HARD work n gave Your best
rest its ur LUCK.' many factors affect your score'' test taking skill is one of them
TC guys
Congratulations that was really inspiring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (01-23-2014)
  #12  
Old 01-23-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 33
Threads: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

congratz.thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 01-23-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 130
Threads: 15
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

congrats mate so is rx a good qbank? and why dd you say that offline uworld is bad choice i am doing the same i am 3-4 months out from my exam so thought would do it offline first planning to do one month subscription online when i am a month out. and how many reads did you give to kaplan notes? and is micro and pharma really straightforward from fa as every test taker says i am an average guy myself would appreciate your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 01-23-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor drake View Post
congrats mate so is rx a good qbank? and why dd you say that offline uworld is bad choice i am doing the same i am 3-4 months out from my exam so thought would do it offline first planning to do one month subscription online when i am a month out. and how many reads did you give to kaplan notes? and is micro and pharma really straightforward from fa as every test taker says i am an average guy myself would appreciate your help
Honestly : i couldnot write my experiencein detail'' & order of my prep it wud have become huge thread to read'' but i ll try to explain here now'

USmle Rx : man i loved it'' there wos this guy PHOLSTON he did 264 i read his experience n did exactly he said'' that is DO usmle rx after once Cover to cover read of FA'
it is best way to do rx & i loved usmle rx my scored jumpe from 185 to 228
after doing just 1000 qs i finished remaining qs but score ddin change
so i realised ( & i read it aswell insomeones experiece) that it takes you til 230 beyond that its UW n NBMES
Do it'' if you can its All first Aid written in question format'( even if you find it easy)



UW offline : my mistake wos i started it without 1st read of notes' i wos below average i had no concepts 'it took me 5 months to finish KAPLAN notes & UW by the time i finished UW offline i took NBME n failed

PROS : i had annotated it in my FA
Cons : i wasted my time i could have done two qbanks''

so if doing offline? finish it asap'like 40 days cuz you need online qbank to do it randomly mixed questions '' on offline you cant do random qs.. OK?

hope this helps


micro? no FA is not enough :
use KLN notes use them as Flash cards ( one bug per day)
pharma? FA is enough'' but it wont harm getting flash cards i wos weak in pharm n i got all qs right in exam
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
IMGdoc26 (01-28-2015), nsesereso (01-24-2014), shine4ever (01-29-2014), spasstik (01-27-2014)
  #15  
Old 01-24-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 130
Threads: 15
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

thanks mate and you couldn't have avised me to do rx at a better time i am just about to finish first read of fa is rx doable in say a month keeping in mind that i wont be just doing this qbank i'll take it alongwith other things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 01-26-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor drake View Post
thanks mate and you couldn't have avised me to do rx at a better time i am just about to finish first read of fa is rx doable in say a month keeping in mind that i wont be just doing this qbank i'll take it alongwith other things

Only person who can asnwer that question is yourself'

remmber my friend we mark our own limits '
i did 100rx q per day + other subject ( & i am a slow reader)
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (01-27-2014)
  #17  
Old 01-27-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita86 View Post
Only person who can asnwer that question is yourself'

remmber my friend we mark our own limits '
i did 100rx q per day + other subject ( & i am a slow reader)
Really?
U are not a slow reader! Doing 100q/day plus other subjects make u fast reader no matter the hours u spend even if 18 hrs per day!
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmled10 (10-31-2014)
  #18  
Old 01-27-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
Really?
U are not a slow reader! Doing 100q/day plus other subjects make u fast reader no matter the hours u spend even if 18 hrs per day!
my friend it wos last two month when i got pace & stamina after 3000 qs that i wos able to do 100 qs else i wos moving with pace of snail

so if you are slow in Qbanks its is s sgin you need to do more qs

All the best man i wish you 250 from bottom of my heart
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (01-27-2014), usmled10 (10-31-2014)
  #19  
Old 01-27-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita86 View Post
my friend it wos last two month when i got pace & stamina after 3000 qs that i wos able to do 100 qs else i wos moving with pace of snail

so if you are slow in Qbanks its is s sgin you need to do more qs

All the best man i wish you 250 from bottom of my heart
As for u, everything is black and white in your sight. Now am struggling to do 16 to 18hrs per day, becos time is not on my side. I have to clear this before I resume work next month. Hmmmmmm. My average now is 70% first round uworld never did offline. Hope to do well. I get worried that I may not finish uworld. Taking lots of notes with uworld takes time. Have to spend like 4 hrs reviewing a block. so I u 5 hrs on a block. 1 hour to solve and 4 hours to review. I don't know if am going so slow. But obviously the way am doing it i would not do it second round bcos i may do that from recognition. i revise all the notes before i do next days work so concept from uworld is so fresh in my mind that 2nd round would be upper 90s. i plan to do some of the other bank where am weak. biochem is killing me. what do u suggest i do to biochem?
are the concepts in uworld helpful in the real exams?
some say all concepts tested are in uworld is that true.?
What do u think?
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”

Last edited by nsesereso; 01-27-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 01-27-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
As for u, everything is black and white in your sight. Now am struggling to do 16 to 18hrs per day, becos time is not on my side. I have to clear this before I resume work next month. Hmmmmmm. My average now is 70% first round uworld never did offline. Hope to do well. I get worried that I may not finish uworld. Taking lots of notes with uworld takes time. Have to spend like 4 hrs reviewing a block. so u 5 hrs on a block. 1 hour to solve and 4 hours to review. I don't know if am going so slow. What do u think.
you are doing amazing '' keep it up! thats what i wos talking about'' this intense prep mode wil give you back alott ''
70 % 1st run is amazing n soon it wil be better'
just becarful with your notes '' its better to do UW twice in short period of time then noting down everything (it takes time)''
i think you doing great'
2nd run UW wil be amazing trust me keep it up

rest you are better judge of your prepration
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (01-27-2014), usmled10 (10-31-2014)
  #21  
Old 01-27-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita86 View Post
you are doing amazing '' keep it up! thats what i wos talking about'' this intense prep mode wil give you back alott ''
70 % 1st run is amazing n soon it wil be better'
just becarful with your notes '' its better to do UW twice in short period of time then noting down everything (it takes time)''
i think you doing great'
2nd run UW wil be amazing trust me keep it up

rest you are better judge of your prepration
What about my other questions? Sorry I edited it before u replied.
Thanks a lot.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 01-27-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
What about my other questions? Sorry I edited it before u replied.
Thanks a lot.
ALL concepts in UW are tested ? wel then it can be said all concepts in Goljan or robbins are tested aswell
medicine is An ocean of knowledge ' i think UWorld needs to add more questions it doesn not cover all the topics ( FA helps you cover them & you did Goljn aswell so donot worry ). UW gives you skill''to break question down
& thats most important


BOY make concepts & then get skilss'
you can never memorise this OCEAN'.. have concepts then know how to break thier tricky question which wil come to you through going alot of different questions'
i had a question from Goljan first 7 chapter
' pathophysio of atheroma plaque how does it starts?? i clicked nitous oxide (i can be wrong ) but what i ahd learned from goljan wos NO is free radical GAS it oxidises LDL .. see thats how i made connections ( i can be wrong) but point is
skill'' comes by going through different questions
Do more questions instead writing down notes

2nd re reading notes is Good idea i wish i had done that' Ppl who scored more they did that & i think you know that aswell

donot worry man you ll do amazing
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (01-27-2014)
  #23  
Old 01-27-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

i plan to do some of the other bank where am weak. biochem is killing me. what do u suggest i do to biochem?


Hmm you going slow ' donot worry about that my 1st run wos like that aswell
& if you do 2nd run which you think wil be just because memorisation of question its ok? thats exactly we want lol my 7th block wos i felt like i am doing UW ''


biochem' i did 4 times KLN notes'
still it wos okay .. i ddin do KLN qbank may be tat can help? but take NBME after UW n see if you realy are weak in biochem
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (01-27-2014)
  #24  
Old 01-27-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita86 View Post
ALL concepts in UW are tested ? wel then it can be said all concepts in Goljan or robbins are tested aswell
medicine is An ocean of knowledge ' i think UWorld needs to add more questions it doesn not cover all the topics ( FA helps you cover them & you did Goljn aswell so donot worry ). UW gives you skill''to break question down
& thats most important


BOY make concepts & then get skilss'
you can never memorise this OCEAN'.. have concepts then know how to break thier tricky question which wil come to you through going alot of different questions'
i had a question from Goljan first 7 chapter
' pathophysio of atheroma plaque how does it starts?? i clicked nitous oxide (i can be wrong ) but what i ahd learned from goljan wos NO is free radical GAS it oxidises LDL .. see thats how i made connections ( i can be wrong) but point is
skill'' comes by going through different questions
Do more questions instead writing down notes

2nd re reading notes is Good idea i wish i had done that' Ppl who scored more they did that & i think you know that aswell

donot worry man you ll do amazing
I thank God for giving u to me to give direction when I get to the cross roads!
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (01-29-2014)
  #25  
Old 01-29-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 20
Threads: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita86 View Post
Cannot believe its over ! & finaly its My turn to write down Step-1 experience Like some one said : USmle is colonoscopy of brain without anesthesia !hell its true but i am Glad its Over i wana thank you nassero JEans & aman.J for help n prayers
TC guys
MashAllaaah! Thank you... You made me happy. I was feeling so depressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (01-29-2014)



  #26  
Old 11-27-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 292
Threads: 5
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Very detailed post. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (02-16-2015)
  #27  
Old 02-14-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 83
Threads: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Nice reading this.
Congratulations!
it inspires me a lot.
hope I can get as good score as you did.

why did you say not to memorize FA while most people tell you totally opposite, to memorize it in final review?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (02-16-2015)
  #28  
Old 02-14-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 24
Threads: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

[QUOTE=thanxs alot dear for sharing great motivational experience n congrats on urs marveolus sucess,can you plz guide me on couple of things,m planning to give step 1 in 2nd week of march,my last nbme score is 181 wht shuld i do right now to improve my score,l huv done wid u world(2times) n kaplan notes (2)f.a,(multiple times)goljn,(2)what would be efficent in this short time,right m again doing u.world along wid f.a...
shuld i do goljan again??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
vita86 (02-16-2015)
  #29  
Old 02-14-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd10 View Post
Nice reading this.
Congratulations!
it inspires me a lot.
hope I can get as good score as you did.

why did you say not to memorize FA while most people tell you totally opposite, to memorize it in final review?
Thank you, Glad it helps you

my point about memorizing FA is '' that better understand content instead of memorizing facts w/o knowledge..
always question yourself why or what is it!

other wise of course you need to remmber all points on finger tips,
GOOD LUCK , believe you can & you are half way there

Last edited by vita86; 02-14-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pd10 (02-14-2015)
  #30  
Old 02-14-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

[QUOTE=daffodil386;662834][QUOTE=thanxs alot dear for sharing great motivational experience n congrats on urs marveolus sucess,can you plz guide me on couple of things,m planning to give step 1 in 2nd week of march,my last nbme score is 181 wht shuld i do right now to improve my score,l huv done wid u world(2times) n kaplan notes (2)f.a,(multiple times)goljn,(2)what would be efficent in this short time,right m again doing u.world along wid f.a...
shuld i do goljan again??[/QUOTE]


181 in Nbme?

that sounds Scary

exam in 2 week,

remember it is not about quantity but quality,
2 time UW , did you understand concepts?
is your problem, tackling questions or knowledge.


Do as many Questions as you can For Step-1
reading is 2ndry to Questions, ^ take online nbme & only take exam if you score Good
do as my Qbanks as you can , i did TWo , you can do three if you have time
again it is subjective , every person has thier own story , figure one out that suits you

I heard D I T helps people that can be last resort


Good Luck, dear, patience & persistence , this journey is tough for all of us

you not alone
GOOD LUCK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 02-14-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 24
Threads: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Smile

[QUOTE=vita86;662938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil386 View Post


181 in Nbme?

that sounds Scary

exam in 2 week,

remember it is not about quantity but quality,
2 time UW , did you understand concepts?
is your problem, tackling questions or knowledge.


Do as many Questions as you can For Step-1
reading is 2ndry to Questions, ^ take online nbme & only take exam if you score Good
do as my Qbanks as you can , i did TWo , you can do three if you have time
again it is subjective , every person has thier own story , figure one out that suits you

I heard D I T helps people that can be last resort


Good Luck, dear, patience & persistence , this journey is tough for all of us

you not alone
GOOD LUCK
thanxs dear for urs help,yeah you r right,i think i huv problem in teckling nbme questions,i scored 57percent on u.world online n 73 percent 2nd time,my eligibility period is expiring atv31st april i ll give another nbme at the end of feb n will see wht happen,wht abt goljan,shuld i give its another quick read?thanxs in advance n best of luck for step2ck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 02-16-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default WOW

congrats ,you got agreat score good for you and thank you for sharing your experience with us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pd10 (02-17-2015), vita86 (02-16-2015)
  #33  
Old 01-20-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita86 View Post
Cannot believe its over ! & finaly its My turn to write down Step-1 experience Like some one said : USmle is colonoscopy of brain without anesthesia !hell its true but i am Glad its Over i wana thank you nassero JEans & aman.J for help n prayers

i am writing down this experience for NAsseero ''& imran & my sister so i thought i should share it with you guys
BACKGROUND : average student- or below average.
PREP time : 11 months
AVERAGE time 7--11 hr per day (oh yeah ' )my suggestion would be always minus 2 hours from time you spend on study tabel so i did 9 hours i count it as 7
ALWYAS Go LIBRARY! u do twice the amount of Work as compared to home
you see people around you studying it gives you boost' - i studies in (HEATH scienes library)
evnvironment matters alott!
Material i used :
KAPLAN videos + notes all subject
physio i used BRS + kaplan
neurology :HY & KAPLAN +( dr najeeb neurology videos once ) after that i wos strongest in neuro
PATHOLOGY: pathoma videos + Goljan RR aka GolJ'Oma ! its a killer combo if u Add goljans' audio aswell - - i did it twice best decision ever
FA 3 times ( use FA to reviseconcepts --donot memorise it ---) example in FA it says cirhosis have smal testes.ask ur self why?? make connections--donot memorise it Ok?
or why D.I.C patient have pleuritic chest pain??--uremia guys '''make concepts ok??
FA takes you to 235-- not more then that (in my opinion)
i didnot do D I T - i couldnot lol they were reading FA in my face !lol
UW offline ( that wos mistake i made)
QBANKS ? USMLE Rx 73%
UW : 1st offline 2nd after 7 months 79% online
GOLJAn questions i did 200 qs from Goljan RR online

no one replied to My threads on this fourm so i wil point them out so that i can help you guys
should i use -
FLASH CARDS? YES! do them daily - i had 3 question from kaplan pharma cards no kidding
MICRO ? i used Kaplan Notes as flash cards i did one Bug a day in last 4 months man its amazing Book you wont miss a single question
anatomy KLN is enough with Qbanks
Immunology? kaplan notes are best!
neurlogy : KLN best if u can Do HY man they are amazing notes for neuro (if you have strong basis in neuro alreadY)
Pharma: FA is enough+ KAPLAN Flash cards-(they help on step-2 aswell)
here is oerder of my nbmes

NBME 5- after 1st read 185 .. yeah its a fail! it shattered me but here is the thing i studies day & nights after that so why do we fall mr wayne?
NBME-11 ONLINE 226 after two months
NBME 3-231 after a week
NBME 12-228 after 40 days
NBME 15-233 after 40 days
UWSA-1 262 (oh yeah i felt it wos easy i ddin guess guestions so it wos my score not mere luck) after 3 dasy
Exam 18decmber
real score 238 ... AlhamdulilAh i am content- i had mixed feeling at that time becuase i always dreamt of 250 but nonetheless i wos happy that AllAh gave me marks more then my nbme

QBANKS-
usmle rx is my fav Qbanks it took me from 180--230
yes guys its easy but Fact it its All FA & you wana do FA for USmle donot you??

kaplan Qbank goes with KLN notes do it if u can in 1st read ( i wish i knew that) I didnot Do kaplan Qbank!!!
UW is stupid Qbank lol i hated it it doesn cover all topics But IT is THE best Qbank despit emy hate for it
see what makes UW best?? its written in exam style do 1st time UW slow n make concepts
2nd time ? do 3-4 blocks per day esp in last two weeks --(very important) it trains ur mind how to think for USmle & at this point you need TEST taking skill Not knowledge ( you had had enough knowledge just trust yourself n imrove skills now)
Biostats : it wos my achiles heel ' guys if i wos not sccoring well on nbmes? wos it pathology? no i can show u my NBme images i had ...graphs All stars toward right side (i.e best performence in pathology) n below border line in biostats n behaviour ****! those doc patient rel qs ...
KAPLAn is STUPID book For biostats .. last month of my prep i picked up
HY biostats this Book is like as if some friend talking To you & teaching you biostats & my score improved after using HY & i wished i had done it earlier--

REASON i could not GET 250 -- LACK of Guidance -else i had put 100% input and thats mwhy i am proud of 238 cuz i went from bottom to top!cuz i did it on my own with help of GOD''prayers of freinds n faimly

for those guys struggling with scores..
NEVER GIVE UP!- you are like a fighter'''this USmle is Boxxing match-- just donot give up
even if u have no strength to stand up...
there were moments when i cried ( i am not ashamed to admit --you cry when dreams break )) cuz my dream of 250 wos breaking but i never broke...up i wud scream inside THAt I AM NOT GIVING UUPPP!!!
& trust me i ran out of time if ihad time i would not have stopped studying tiill i scored 255..i have to take CK n CS .so i fought till last round
if i can Do it you can do it just donot give up! fighters Donot give up You all are fighters Nver let anyone tell you You cant Do it
you lose it the moment you give up''

..FOR Those Who are Going to take exam:
end doesnt matter .. you pass or fail it doesnot matter..
you Donot know you wil be alive after 6 months or not so why do you worry about future?? Concentrate on present--
END doesnot matter now what matter is How you fought ..i told my self if i am going down i wil make sure it wos one hell a good fight -- & trust me i wos very focused on my exam i had no worries on exam days no nervous ness ''

MISTAKEs I MADE : Donot touch UW without basics or 1st read ( it took me double amount of time & wasted my time)--- Not doing HY biostats early in prep'
donot panic in last week you remmber alot donot read books do questions
--simulate exam--ateast twice before exam--- fe days before i got tired in exam & i lost concentration on 4th 5th block i think i cud ve got 240+ becuase after exam i felt i wos better then what i did on exam''i could have done better'

BEST OF LUCK GUYS !
QUESTIOns QUestion Question is the Key i DID 7000 questions
people who score 250 are may be better test takes.. do donot underestimate yourself
i know people who were 231 on NBme n Got 252'' i personlay know her so donot Compare your self with anyone JUST make sure YOU did HARD work n gave Your best
rest its ur LUCK.' many factors affect your score'' test taking skill is one of them
TC guys
hi there
thank you so much for your encouraging words to all of us.
i need your advice. i am studying kaplan notes and when i study first aid i feel like i know nothing . what should i do ? i need strong advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 01-20-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 182
Threads: 20
Thanked 132 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rane View Post
hi there
thank you so much for your encouraging words to all of us.
i need your advice. i am studying kaplan notes and when i study first aid i feel like i know nothing . what should i do ? i need strong advice.
I think it is a sign your concepts are weak.
Read books make notes write them in FA. Watch videos make notes write them in FA.
Then read FA ( each word should make sense and bring back concepts ).
__________________
STEP-1 Passed/ CS - 1st attempt/CK DONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
rane (01-20-2016)



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USMLE STEP 1 and STEP 2 Tutors Launch Skype Tutoring Services for 2014 FutureMD724 USMLE Step 1 Study Partners 0 01-05-2014 05:44 PM
2013-2014? or 2014-2015? alingannan IMG Residency Match Forum 1 08-22-2012 01:22 PM
agha khan university pakistan student advice needed eeman USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 01-17-2012 12:06 AM
Mnemonics and Study Tips by Khalid Khan saty_montana USMLE Step 1 Mnemonics 0 08-25-2010 02:22 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)