Percentage of students getting 99 in USMLE Step 1? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-13-2011
hedihav_x's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 60
Threads: 10
Thanked 53 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 63
Stats Percentage of students getting 99 in USMLE Step 1?

Does anybody know, how many percent of people who participate in step1 will get 99 approximately?
I see in this forum that lots of people got 99.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 01-13-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Arrow Useful links

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedihav_x View Post
Does anybody know, how many percent of people who participate in step1 will get 99 approximately?
I see in this forum that lots of people got 99.....
There's a poll asking members here
What was your USMLE Step 1 Score

If you are looking for official stats, look here
Official USMLE Scores Statistics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-13-2011
hedihav_x's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 60
Threads: 10
Thanked 53 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
There's a poll asking members here
What was your USMLE Step 1 Score

If you are looking for official stats, look here
Official USMLE Scores Statistics!
thanks steptaker, I checked that links but I didn't see any answer to my question!!!do u know how many percent of people that take step1 will get 99 approximately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 01-13-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedihav_x View Post
thanks steptaker, I checked that links but I didn't see any answer to my question!!!do u know how many percent of people that take step1 will get 99 approximately?
No, I don't know and I don't think there's official record of that. But one thing is for sure that it's not 1% of students. It's much higher than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-13-2011
hedihav_x's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 60
Threads: 10
Thanked 53 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
No, I don't know and I don't think there's official record of that. But one thing is for sure that it's not 1% of students. It's much higher than that.
according to this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USMLE_Step_1
At present, the national mean score is 221, with a standard deviation of 24
I think we can calculate now.
so 16% of participants will get score>245(1SD) and 2.5% of them will get score>260(2SD)!!!!!!!!!!
is that right or not?
If its right its more than that we expect it........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dulbee (01-13-2011), StepTaker (01-13-2011)
  #6  
Old 01-13-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Thumbs Up Yes, you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedihav_x View Post
according to this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USMLE_Step_1
At present, the national mean score is 221, with a standard deviation of 24
I think we can calculate now.
so 16% of participants will get score>245(1SD) and 2.5% of them will get score>260(2SD)!!!!!!!!!!
is that right or not?
If its right its more than that we expect that........
Yes your calculation is correct but I have two precautions about that:
First, that Wikipedia article is not up to date, the mean score changes from time to time, it's considerably lower nowadays.
Second, the mean is calculated for US med students only and it does not take into account all other applicants including IMGs, Caribbean, Canadians, Osteopath applicants, ..etc

But, generally speaking your calculation is correct and should give us an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hedihav_x (01-13-2011)
  #7  
Old 01-13-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 61
Threads: 3
Thanked 76 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedihav_x View Post
according to this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USMLE_Step_1
At present, the national mean score is 221, with a standard deviation of 24
I think we can calculate now.
so 16% of participants will get score>245(1SD) and 2.5% of them will get score>260(2SD)!!!!!!!!!!
is that right or not?
If its right its more than that we expect that........
This is really crazy, It means that almost 25% of them are getting 99, OH MY GOD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-13-2011
hedihav_x's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 60
Threads: 10
Thanked 53 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 63
Default

@Dulbee:
yes it is really scary & doesn't make any one happy with her/his score ..i think 16% is quite big portion that will get score>245
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-13-2011
tkourkou's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 220
Threads: 35
Thanked 283 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 293
Default

What you guys forgot about is that the graph can be positively or negatively skewed! Mean SDs are only applicated in bell curves, not skewed one's. So there isn't really a way to calculate how many score a 99...
__________________
No one has ever been killed from work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-13-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 61
Threads: 3
Thanked 76 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkourkou View Post
What you guys forgot about is that the graph can be positively or negatively skewed! Mean SDs are only applicated in bell curves, not skewed one's. So there isn't really a way to calculate how many score a 99...
When they say "Standard Deviation" you must assume it's normal distribution curve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 01-13-2011
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 614 Times in 265 Posts
Reputation: 634
Default Just a thought!

I don't know but I think the percentage is relatively small, as having a 99 score is held in a very high esteem by program directors. If too many can get this score, it would lose its power and the exam would be a joke then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 01-13-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 363
Threads: 18
Thanked 311 Times in 149 Posts
Reputation: 321
Default

I don't know if anyone can answer this.

House said it best- people lie.

You'll even get people in clinicals saying they passed when they didn't.

The internet is a great thing, you can say anything online and there is no way to check. So, even poeple on this forum can say they got a 99 even though they might not have.

it happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 01-13-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewee View Post
I don't know if anyone can answer this.

House said it best- people lie.

You'll even get people in clinicals saying they passed when they didn't.

The internet is a great thing, you can say anything online and there is no way to check. So, even poeple on this forum can say they got a 99 even though they might not have.

it happens
But we are not talking about what people are saying. We are talking about what the officials are giving us numbers of mean and standard deviation.
Take a look at this official score report below
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 01-14-2011
tkourkou's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 220
Threads: 35
Thanked 283 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
But we are not talking about what people are saying. We are talking about what the officials are giving us numbers of mean and standard deviation.
Take a look at this official score report below
In my newer report the Standard Deviation was 24.
__________________
No one has ever been killed from work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
USMLE-Scores

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timed Needed for Medical Students to prepare for USMLE Step 1 StepTaker USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads 8 3 Weeks Ago 09:16 PM
USMLE Step 1 Preparation for Medical Students prousmle USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads 11 12-20-2016 01:11 AM
Failed or Chronic Students of USMLE? xcelusmle USMLE Links & Free Ads 1 06-17-2011 09:47 AM
Eligibility for USMLE Step 2 for International Medical Students? londondreams ECFMG Forum 3 12-30-2010 05:49 PM
Anatomy percentage USMLEhelp USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 09-04-2009 03:58 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)