Exam in a month.Scored 190 on NBME 12. How to increase it by atleast 20 points. - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default Exam in a month.Scored 190 on NBME 12. How to increase it by atleast 20 points.

NBME 11 - March 1st - 170
NBME 12 - March 26 - 190
What should i do to raise my score to 220.
exam in a month ..
Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-26-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 136
Threads: 28
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 29
Default

hey bro me too have d same condition.

i gave nbme 7 offline in feb got 120 q correct

den i gave nbme 15 online march 5 got 175 step 1 score.

den today i gave 11 offline got 145 q correct.

im a fckin scared, already postponed my slot from jan to march to april to june.

im planning to give it till the end of april. what do you think is it worth with this prep.
:conf used:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-26-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
hey bro me too have d same condition.

i gave nbme 7 offline in feb got 120 q correct

den i gave nbme 15 online march 5 got 175 step 1 score.

den today i gave 11 offline got 145 q correct.

im a fckin scared, already postponed my slot from jan to march to april to june.

im planning to give it till the end of april. what do you think is it worth with this prep.
:conf used:
55q wrong shows you have learnt a lot.
Just find out why u got those questions wrong. Weak concept?, silly mistakes?
Poor reasoning ? then target it.
Note that some questions are sitting on the nbme forms u won't find in any book but are answered with common sense ( sorry not to mean insult.) at least that is what I realised.
Good luck guys.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
seemaCMC (03-29-2014)
 
  #4  
Old 03-26-2014
faith255's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 521
Threads: 41
Thanked 74 Times in 63 Posts
Reputation: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety2020 View Post
NBME 11 - March 1st - 170
NBME 12 - March 26 - 190
What should i do to raise my score to 220.
exam in a month ..
Thx
can u plz tell how many ques u got wrong in nbme 12?

my advice is review ur mistakes on nbme.. read FA again & keep doing ques nbme ques or some other qbank.. i'm also scheduled for my exam in apr end IA & doing offline nbme & kap qbank with FA..
__________________
Never let your fear be stronger than your Faith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
seemaCMC (03-29-2014)
  #5  
Old 03-26-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 55
Threads: 7
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 35
Default

Going from 190 to 220 in one month I think is possible, getting to 220s is about knowing " ALL " the basic concepts. Getting 230s and more is about knowing the details.

I would suggest four things I believe they will put you in the 220s in a month:

1-Pathoma. Read chapter every day with the videos. Pathoma is the most amazing preparation resource for step1, easy to read, easy to understand, enjoyable, and hard to forget. IT WILL TEACH YOU PATHOLOGY, AND STEP1 IS ABOUT PATHOLOGY.

2- First Aid. This is the second most amazing preparation resource for STEP1, I would say it is very unusual to have a question on the USMLEWorld, or one of the NBMEs, that is not in First Aid or Pathoma.

3- Remember that you HAVE and MUST understand first, and then memorize what is in Pathoma or FA. You wouldn't have any problem understanding Pathoma if you follow the text with Dr.Husain videos, I think that guy can teach pathology to my grandma! HE IS AMAZING. Sometimes FA will just give Facts, so it is important to search and understand those Facts before memorizing them.


Pathoma + First Aid + UW. Period.

, And doable in one month if you aim for the 220s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
CaribzMD (04-12-2014), maymed (10-07-2015), seemaCMC (03-29-2014)
  #6  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by one11 View Post
Going from 190 to 220 in one month I think is possible, getting to 220s is about knowing " ALL " the basic concepts. Getting 230s and more is about knowing the details.

I would suggest four things I believe they will put you in the 220s in a month:

1-Pathoma. Read chapter every day with the videos. Pathoma is the most amazing preparation resource for step1, easy to read, easy to understand, enjoyable, and hard to forget. IT WILL TEACH YOU PATHOLOGY, AND STEP1 IS ABOUT PATHOLOGY.

2- First Aid. This is the second most amazing preparation resource for STEP1, I would say it is very unusual to have a question on the USMLEWorld, or one of the NBMEs, that is not in First Aid or Pathoma.

3- Remember that you HAVE and MUST understand first, and then memorize what is in Pathoma or FA. You wouldn't have any problem understanding Pathoma if you follow the text with Dr.Husain videos, I think that guy can teach pathology to my grandma! HE IS AMAZING. Sometimes FA will just give Facts, so it is important to search and understand those Facts before memorizing them.


Pathoma + First Aid + UW. Period.

, And doable in one month if you aim for the 220s.
I agree.

But to get 250s u got to add Goljan.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith255 View Post
can u plz tell how many ques u got wrong in nbme 12?

my advice is review ur mistakes on nbme.. read FA again & keep doing ques nbme ques or some other qbank.. i'm also scheduled for my exam in apr end IA & doing offline nbme & kap qbank with FA..
oops i reversed the order.
NBME 12 - 170
NBME 11 - 190

got about 80 questions Wrong in 12
and 66 in NBME 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
faith255 (03-27-2014)
  #8  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Question how to reapply

guys pls help me:
i was scheduled to giv my step1 during , december 2013, but extended it by the given 3 month period which ends this march, but am still not prepared fully.

how to reapply??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-27-2014
dr_kg's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 333
Threads: 25
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
I agree.

But to get 250s u got to add Goljan.

true, if you are short of time, browse through the side notes and the pictures in goljan.
__________________
Work Smarter...not harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-27-2014
dr_kg's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 333
Threads: 25
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny2k7 View Post
guys pls help me:
i was scheduled to giv my step1 during , december 2013, but extended it by the given 3 month period which ends this march, but am still not prepared fully.

how to reapply??????
cancel with prometric, pay the fine. let your eligibility end, then after two weeks when u will be eligible to apply again apply. u need to repay the whole fee.
__________________
Work Smarter...not harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (03-27-2014)
  #11  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default Pathology schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by one11 View Post
Going from 190 to 220 in one month I think is possible, getting to 220s is about knowing " ALL " the basic concepts. Getting 230s and more is about knowing the details.

I would suggest four things I believe they will put you in the 220s in a month:

1-Pathoma. Read chapter every day with the videos. Pathoma is the most amazing preparation resource for step1, easy to read, easy to understand, enjoyable, and hard to forget. IT WILL TEACH YOU PATHOLOGY, AND STEP1 IS ABOUT PATHOLOGY.

2- First Aid. This is the second most amazing preparation resource for STEP1, I would say it is very unusual to have a question on the USMLEWorld, or one of the NBMEs, that is not in First Aid or Pathoma.

3- Remember that you HAVE and MUST understand first, and then memorize what is in Pathoma or FA. You wouldn't have any problem understanding Pathoma if you follow the text with Dr.Husain videos, I think that guy can teach pathology to my grandma! HE IS AMAZING. Sometimes FA will just give Facts, so it is important to search and understand those Facts before memorizing them.


Pathoma + First Aid + UW. Period.

, And doable in one month if you aim for the 220s.
you are so right about Pathology..
since i forgot to mention out of the 66 Qs i got wrong 30 were Patho Q
so here is what i planned.. everyones Feedback will be appreciated
pathoma with respective FA Chapters followed by Patho Questions from UW.
in 10 days..
would it work ? any plans or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 03-27-2014
DocSikorski's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,353
Threads: 94
Thanked 876 Times in 507 Posts
Reputation: 889
Default

Best piece of advice:

Buckle up and study! Do not even think of showing up to the exam when your NBME is under 210
__________________
Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. EP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSikorski View Post
Best piece of advice:

Buckle up and study! Do not even think of showing up to the exam when your NBME is under 210
Sure.. im palnning to do FA patho alongwith Pathoma and UW..
but having troble figuring out wht schedule to follow.
am available to study 12-14 hrs a day..
watch Pathoma and do the respective reading in FA.. or jus Read FA and do the videos for hard Concepts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 226
Threads: 15
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSikorski View Post
Best piece of advice:

Buckle up and study! Do not even think of showing up to the exam when your NBME is under 210
I second that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (03-27-2014)
  #15  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 521 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety2020 View Post
you are so right about Pathology..
since i forgot to mention out of the 66 Qs i got wrong 30 were Patho Q
so here is what i planned.. everyones Feedback will be appreciated
pathoma with respective FA Chapters followed by Patho Questions from UW.
in 10 days..
would it work ? any plans or suggestions?

Hey u can easily hit 220 with the method below:

Start this way.

Do pathoma vedios at least 2x back to back. Read corresponding system from FA.
Do uworld random and timed and know uworld concept.
Do minimum 3 read of FA.
U would hit like 230. I tell u.
Added advantage is add Goljan audios.
Know uworld concepts well
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tweety2020 (03-27-2014)



  #16  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 18
Threads: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default help

Hey u can easily hit 220 with the method below:

Start this way.

Do pathoma vedios at least 2x back to back. Read corresponding system from FA.
Do uworld random and timed and know uworld concept.
Do minimum 3 read of FA.
U would hit like 230. I tell u.
Added advantage is add Goljan audios.
Know uworld concepts well
__________________



hey is it possible to score in 230's if i follow this...
gave my nbme 6 and scored 169
exam in may and i cant extend my eligibility period more than may due to some issues..
i want to score in 230"s .. is it possible to improve my scores in 2 months iam left with??

very tensed and lost!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 18
Threads: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

left with 50% uworld. i did kaplan videos, read the books once for all subjcts except for pathology i did pathoma..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 136
Threads: 28
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
55q wrong shows you have learnt a lot.
Just find out why u got those questions wrong. Weak concept?, silly mistakes?
Poor reasoning ? then target it.
Note that some questions are sitting on the nbme forms u won't find in any book but are answered with common sense ( sorry not to mean insult.) at least that is what I realised.
Good luck guys.

no need apologize, i less dan an aveg student. so i am **** scared giving this exam. so i need a clear n blunt n true answers whether i wud get atleast 220 if i revise fa twice more n give my exam by april 20.

thanks for d reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 64
Threads: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSikorski View Post
Best piece of advice:

Buckle up and study! Do not even think of showing up to the exam when your NBME is under 210
any suggestions /recommendations how to get it past 210??
Ive been doing my annotated FA, and pathoma... but somehow, just....aint movin!..

any suggestions are welcome!!!

also!, the extended feedback consistently shows cell biology n histo on the lower side... any suggestions on how i can work on that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 03-27-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr rookie View Post
any suggestions /recommendations how to get it past 210??
Ive been doing my annotated FA, and pathoma... but somehow, just....aint movin!..

any suggestions are welcome!!!

also!, the extended feedback consistently shows cell biology n histo on the lower side... any suggestions on how i can work on that??
Pathoma Explains most of the histo slides quite well + FA 2014 have some new ones added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 03-28-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 18
Threads: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default help!

nobody ever replies to my msgs in these forums....

i feel asking for help via these forums is a waste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 03-29-2014
faith255's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 521
Threads: 41
Thanked 74 Times in 63 Posts
Reputation: 84
Default

hey tweety how's it going?

did u take any other nbme?

i was wondering if u can msg me ur skype id so that we can discuss our study plan & all as we r in the same boat almost & my exam is also in end of apr IA

doing FA now.. should be able to finish it by 31st then will take a uwsa.. IA
__________________
Never let your fear be stronger than your Faith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tweety2020 (03-29-2014)
  #23  
Old 03-29-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 226
Threads: 15
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shershaz View Post
nobody ever replies to my msgs in these forums....

i feel asking for help via these forums is a waste!
Hey dont feel bad. You can hit 230 in two months. Do FA, pathoma and questions (UW) as many times as you can. Your score will depend on how well you know your FA , UW and Pathoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shershaz (03-30-2014)
  #24  
Old 03-29-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith255 View Post
hey tweety how's it going?

did u take any other nbme?

i was wondering if u can msg me ur skype id so that we can discuss our study plan & all as we r in the same boat almost & my exam is also in end of apr IA

doing FA now.. should be able to finish it by 31st then will take a uwsa.. IA
not doing sooo great..
a lot of Anxiety & still depressed about the score...
at times it feels like nothing is going to help
still trying my best!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 04-12-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default where can i buy pathoma

Hi can somebody please suggest from where i can buy pathoma and goljan ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 04-12-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 63
Threads: 3
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreya.312 View Post
Hi can somebody please suggest from where i can buy pathoma and goljan ?
Hello
You can buy Pathoma videos on pathoma.com. Goljan book on amazon.com. The Goljan video you can download on Google. Com o torrenzs (I'm not sure). Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shreya.312 (04-12-2014)
  #27  
Old 04-12-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default low nbme7 score

I have thoroughly read FA and done UW twice...I gave name 7 yesterday and got a very low score ( CBSSA 220 )....Planning to give step 1 in june and aiming for 240+..
Can somebody please guide me how to improve the score...
Also which nbme should i give next to assess whether i have improved ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 04-12-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Can somebody pls suggest how neurology can be improved...I hve read kaplan and FA multiple times but still stumble when I come across a neuro question specially those related to radiological images...
Pls help !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 01-06-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 18
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default hi

thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 01-25-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 11
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 5 Days Ago
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 18
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsesereso View Post
Hey u can easily hit 220 with the method below:

Start this way.

Do pathoma vedios at least 2x back to back. Read corresponding system from FA.
Do uworld random and timed and know uworld concept.
Do minimum 3 read of FA.
U would hit like 230. I tell u.
Added advantage is add Goljan audios.
Know uworld concepts well
what about rapid review pathology by goljan??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One month to go...need to increase marks! nicki USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 5 Days Ago 04:34 PM
exam in a week scored 182 on NBME 11...what do I do? stayhuman USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 08-26-2013 07:39 AM
EXAM IN EXACTLY 1 MONTH: HOW DO I INCREASE BY 5-10pts? Dr.NickRiviera USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 05-06-2012 11:42 PM
Scored 320 in NBME; Exam in 9 days! doc3912 USMLE Step 1 Forum 40 04-05-2012 02:02 PM
Got 190 in NBME Form 3.. Need advice.. prometheus4321 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 09-05-2011 05:27 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)