Test your knowledge #12! (Behavioral Science) - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,227 Times in 410 Posts
Reputation: 1251
Arrow Test your knowledge #12! (Behavioral Science)

A 22-year-old female presents with a chief complaint of frequent headaches. On physical examination, perimolysis of her upper and lower teeth is noted (see figure). The patientís BMI is 16. While she admits to excessive exercise, she insists that there is nothing wrong with her, that she has never felt better since she was a teenager, and that her slenderness is inherited from her mother. From what might this woman be suffering?
  1. Acute stress disorder
  2. Anorexia nervosa, purging type
  3. Anorexia nervosa, restricting type
  4. Bulimia nervosa, non-purging type
  5. Bulimia nervosa, purging type
  6. Kleine-Levin syndrome
Test your knowledge #12! (Behavioral Science)-verzak_07-3_fig6.jpg
click image to enlarge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sana Zahid (03-06-2011), Sarah-cali (02-15-2011), struggle (02-16-2011)



  #2  
Old 02-15-2011
Sarah-cali's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 63
Threads: 12
Thanked 145 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 165
Default

I liked it when you used the word "perimolysis" because not all of us knows what that means, which is exactly the situation in USMLE exam, they bring up terms that puzzle us.

Perimylosis means acid erosion, this girl must have been vomiting and therefore the answer is BN - purging type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Mondoshawan (02-15-2011)
  #3  
Old 02-15-2011
mle2resident's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 252
Threads: 51
Thanked 185 Times in 94 Posts
Reputation: 195
Default B

i think its anorexia nervosa purging type..
With a BMI 16, excessive exercise, slender: hints anorexia nervosa
perimolysis of teeth : purging type..
Wonder what could be reason for frequent headaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ibukun (02-15-2011), Mondoshawan (02-15-2011)
  #4  
Old 02-15-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

I believe its Anorexia Nervosa Purging Type.

Differentiating feature: Excessive Exercise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ibukun (02-15-2011), Mondoshawan (02-15-2011)
  #5  
Old 02-15-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 487
Threads: 95
Thanked 1,458 Times in 356 Posts
Reputation: 1468
Arrow Anorexia nervosa, purging type

My answer is Anorexia nervosa, purging type

Anorexia Nervosa - purging type:

An intense drive for thinness - excessive exercise

An intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat - BMI = 16

purging behavior (self-induced vomiting) - perimolysis of teeth

In women- a cessation of the menstrual cycle for at least three months

In men- a decreased sexual drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Amenah (02-16-2011), ibukun (02-15-2011), Mondoshawan (02-15-2011), raheel_memon (02-17-2011), struggle (02-16-2011)
  #6  
Old 02-16-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 335
Threads: 24
Thanked 295 Times in 152 Posts
Reputation: 305
Default

yeah definitely B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-16-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,227 Times in 410 Posts
Reputation: 1251
Correct Answer Correct!

The answer is B. Anorexia nervosa, purging type - for exactly the reasons that aktorque and mle2resident stated. That her body weight is significantly below normal, that she denies being underweight, and that she feels good about her weight loss point to anorexia nervosa rather than bulimia. Purging (Sarah-cali) and hypergymnasia (patelMD and mle2resident) may be characteristic of either anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa. Anorexia nervosa shows family grouping, though whether this is genetic or psychosocial or both I doubt is known. This was new information to me when I read this chapter in Fadem, which is why I wrote the question. Now we all know! The headaches were mostly unrelated, mle2resident, except that I knew a young lady who was anorexic and whose only health complaint was headaches (not that she didn't have other health issues; rather, that she didn't think they were problems). Anorexia is a life-threatening psychological disorder, with mortality rates up to 18%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aktorque (02-16-2011), drortho (12-08-2011), mle2resident (02-16-2011), Sana Zahid (03-06-2011), steps (02-16-2011)
  #8  
Old 02-16-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoshawan View Post
The answer is B. Anorexia nervosa, purging type - for exactly the reasons that aktorque and mle2resident stated. That her body weight is significantly below normal, that she denies being underweight, and that she feels good about her weight loss point to anorexia nervosa rather than bulimia. Purging (Sarah-cali) and hypergymnasia (patelMD and mle2resident) may be characteristic of either anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa. Anorexia nervosa shows family grouping, though whether this is genetic or psychosocial or both I doubt is known. This was new information to me when I read this chapter in Fadem, which is why I wrote the question. Now we all know! The headaches were mostly unrelated, mle2resident, except that I knew a young lady who was anorexic and whose only health complaint was headaches (not that she didn't have other health issues; rather, that she didn't think they were problems). Anorexia is a life-threatening psychological disorder, with mortality rates up to 18%.

EDIT:

You should have included the symptom of Amenhorrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Mondoshawan (02-16-2011)
  #9  
Old 02-16-2011
Hope2Pass's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,684
Threads: 213
Thanked 1,590 Times in 660 Posts
Reputation: 1600
Arrow B- Anorexia Nervosa - Purging Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
You should have included the symptom of gynecomastia
Not sure where that fits in ? gynecomastia - enlargement of breast in males ?

I think the answer is B as well. Anorexia Nervosa Purging Type.
In Kaplan Lecture Notes, they stated that if a person has a lower than normal BMI (16 in this case) it points to ANOREXIA ... However, low BMI or weight are not necessarily related to Bulimia because those patients still tend to eat normal meals! (they just tend to purge it out after they eat it) Whereas, in cases of Anorexia, patients pretty much starve themselves and do whatever else they can (excessive exercise)

Also, I know that BMI is not the differentiating factor because a lot of the athletes have a BMI around that range !

If i didnt read sarah-cali's post about perimolysis of teeth i was thinking in terms of Acute Stress Disorder. Since acute stress disorder or stress (along with anxiety) in general can initiate Bruxism or grinding of teeth, it can lead to tinnitus and frequent headaches along with facial pains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Mondoshawan (02-16-2011), Sana Zahid (03-06-2011)
  #10  
Old 02-16-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Pass View Post
Not sure where that fits in ? gynecomastia - enlargement of breast in males ?

I think the answer is B as well. Anorexia Nervosa Purging Type.
In Kaplan Lecture Notes, they stated that if a person has a lower than normal BMI (16 in this case) it points to ANOREXIA ... However, low BMI or weight are not necessarily related to Bulimia because those patients still tend to eat normal meals! (they just tend to purge it out after they eat it) Whereas, in cases of Anorexia, patients pretty much starve themselves and do whatever else they can (excessive exercise)

Also, I know that BMI is not the differentiating factor because a lot of the athletes have a BMI around that range !

If i didnt read sarah-cali's post about perimolysis of teeth i was thinking in terms of Acute Stress Disorder. Since acute stress disorder or stress (along with anxiety) in general can initiate Bruxism or grinding of teeth, it can lead to tinnitus and frequent headaches along with facial pains.

Sorry I meant amenorrhea lol..

I was studying turner's syndrome when I looked at this question so thats why I wrote gynecomastia lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 02-16-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,227 Times in 410 Posts
Reputation: 1251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
EDIT:

You should have included the symptom of Amenhorrea
Amenorrhea is definitely an important diagnostic symptom of anorexia - but one that might not be reported to the physician, or even one that might be lied about. I thought that, in this case, the patient would not have offered it as a related symptom, since she is there for her headaches and doesn't want to be treated for her anorexia...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 02-16-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoshawan View Post
Amenorrhea is definitely an important diagnostic symptom of anorexia - but one that might not be reported to the physician, or even one that might be lied about. I thought that, in this case, the patient would not have offered it as a related symptom, since she is there for her headaches and doesn't want to be treated for her anorexia...
Haha, its the physicians job to take a complete and thorough history!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Mondoshawan (02-16-2011)
  #13  
Old 02-16-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,227 Times in 410 Posts
Reputation: 1251
Default

Yes, theoretically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Behavioral-Sciences-, Figures-, Step-1-Questions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Behavioral Science Book for USMLE Step 1? Sabio USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads 1 11-25-2015 04:40 PM
Anyone have Behavioral Science Lecture 4b on Alcohol? Shibtag For Sale & Wanted Items 1 05-27-2013 04:35 PM
Test your knowledge #2! - Behavioral Science Mondoshawan USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 02-07-2011 10:48 AM
Behavioral Science Abdi USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 02-08-2010 02:30 PM
Behavioral Science complex DrSeddik USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 11-26-2009 12:42 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)