The mechanism of arrhytmia in Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 82
Threads: 22
Thanked 33 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 36
Heart The mechanism of arrhytmia in Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy

The most common cause of death in HOCMP is Ventricular tachycardia and Ventricular fibrillation

Anyone knows the mechanism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 02-16-2011
13monument's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 129
Threads: 3
Thanked 110 Times in 64 Posts
Reputation: 120
Default

This is beyond the scope of USMLE.

Your question is something to be studied when you do a cardiology specialty not taking a USMLE exam.

This forum for USMLE students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aktorque (02-17-2011), mary (02-16-2011), shaan.medico (02-18-2011)
  #3  
Old 02-16-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,229 Times in 411 Posts
Reputation: 1253
Default

You can read about it here if that helps...

The story I tell myself about hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is that, as the heart muscle gets so thick, its demands increase while its supply decreases --> subendocardial ischemia --> fatal dysrhythmia. I don't know how accurate that is or if anyone really knows the exact pathophysiology, but it satisfies me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aktorque (02-17-2011), Amenah (02-18-2011), hana (02-17-2011)
 
  #4  
Old 02-16-2011
13monument's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 129
Threads: 3
Thanked 110 Times in 64 Posts
Reputation: 120
Stop It should ring a bell

If you read the posts by Mondoshawan you'll see that he's very knowledgeable and yet he still does not know the answer to your question, even that article he cited does not explain the mechanism.

This should ring a bell to you, that such kind of information is not tested in USMLE and you should spare your hippocampus for the important stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aktorque (02-17-2011), donofitaly (02-16-2011), ibukun (02-17-2011), mary (02-16-2011), shaan.medico (02-18-2011)
  #5  
Old 02-17-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 82
Threads: 22
Thanked 33 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13monument View Post
If you read the posts by Mondoshawan you'll see that he's very knowledgeable and yet he still does not know the answer to your question, even that article he cited does not explain the mechanism.

This should ring a bell to you, that such kind of information is not tested in USMLE and you should spare your hippocampus for the important stuff.
First of all, I do not like your attitude!

I believe these forums are made to discuss ANY DOUBTS, QUESTIONS related to study topics, so it does not hurt to share them. you never know what exactly is gonna be asked on exam. for example if we are supposed to know why there is high risk of v.fib post MI i think they can easily expect us to know other cases-not too deeply as a resident is supposed to know-but at basic levels. if mcc of death in HOCM IS ARRHYTHMIA, really it does not triggers you to know why?!!! or at least share it to see if others are like you or you are missing something and need to learn it.

moreover, even if the q topic is not really asked on exam but the discussions around it may lead to learning other facts which will benefit at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-17-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,229 Times in 411 Posts
Reputation: 1253
Default

Haha! I like your questions, Hana - they are always challenging and often about things we take for granted. I'm like you in that I always want to really understand something in order to learn it.

I doubt that 13monument was trying to stifle you - probably more trying to keep us from going too far down rabbit-holes in search of abstruse points! It's always nice to discuss things with our peers that we don't understand; as you say, other people might have the same question, and there is always something to be learned from the discussion. But there are some things that are unknown, and it's nice to be brought back down to earth sometimes by our fellows who remind us that a topic is not high-yield.

I think that 13 monument did not that post in the way you took it, but rather in the way of a friendly caution... We are all colleagues, after all, here to learn and help one another.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
13monument (02-17-2011), donofitaly (02-18-2011), lee-usmle (02-17-2011)
  #7  
Old 02-17-2011
13monument's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 129
Threads: 3
Thanked 110 Times in 64 Posts
Reputation: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana View Post
First of all, I do not like your attitude!

I believe these forums are made to discuss ANY DOUBTS, QUESTIONS related to study topics, so it does not hurt to share them. you never know what exactly is gonna be asked on exam. for example if we are supposed to know why there is high risk of v.fib post MI i think they can easily expect us to know other cases-not too deeply as a resident is supposed to know-but at basic levels. if mcc of death in HOCM IS ARRHYTHMIA, really it does not triggers you to know why?!!! or at least share it to see if others are like you or you are missing something and need to learn it.

moreover, even if the q topic is not really asked on exam but the discussions around it may lead to learning other facts which will benefit at the end.
Don't take it personal my dear.
I just wanted to wake you up.
I agree that trying to know everything is a Nobel cause, I don't mind you discuss that with your professor or try to publish a paper about it or go and search the whole internet about it.
But, this website, is about preparing for the USMLE Exam. You are actually doing harm to yourself by trying to go into the depths of details that will never be asked in USMLE.
Not only that, you are harming other thousands of students visiting this forum, because they'll start to think that such kind of information is needed for the exam.
So there should be someone (like me) to give the warning and stop you and others from wasting time.

PS - you can notice that my posts are being thanked by members, while your posts are not being thanked by members, that should ring the bell again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
patelMD (02-18-2011)
  #8  
Old 02-18-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

With regards to Hana's question, I believe the answer is mentioned in Rapid Review of Pathology (by Goljan) on page 188. There are aberrant Purkinje fibers present in the asymmetrically thickened myocardium of the heart, which leads to fatal ventricular arrhythmias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hana (02-18-2011)
  #9  
Old 02-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 82
Threads: 22
Thanked 33 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13monument View Post
Don't take it personal my dear.
I just wanted to wake you up.
I agree that trying to know everything is a Nobel cause, I don't mind you discuss that with your professor or try to publish a paper about it or go and search the whole internet about it.
But, this website, is about preparing for the USMLE Exam. You are actually doing harm to yourself by trying to go into the depths of details that will never be asked in USMLE.
Not only that, you are harming other thousands of students visiting this forum, because they'll start to think that such kind of information is needed for the exam.
So there should be someone (like me) to give the warning and stop you and others from wasting time.

PS - you can notice that my posts are being thanked by members, while your posts are not being thanked by members, that should ring the bell again!

as i said before i do not like the way you"try to help" .please next time you see a q posted by me do me a favor and go away!and do not try disturb me with your ringing bells!

and learn somthing ,do not try to help someone when you are not asked to.

ahhh,you are here to be thanked by others? you are counting who thanks who and who is thanked more or less?heheheh! this part really cleared my doubts about u. grow up dear!

and who are you to be in charge to tell me my q should not be posted here or is a"harm" and"wasit of time" ???!!!
i smell grandiosity here.ah not that i have not seen before.

ok i am done here ,thanks for whom tried to help and whom who did not know the answer and just simply did not answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Cardiovascular-, Pathology-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Bainbridge Reflex Mechanism rasheed USMLE Step 1 Bits & Pieces 0 10-18-2010 08:39 AM
What is the mechanism of Air Embolism ? good_boy_1234 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 08-17-2010 09:14 AM
hypertrophic interventricular septum Seetal USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 04-08-2010 05:51 PM
Murmur of Aortic Stenosis versus Hypertrophic Obstructive CardioMyopathy FSUSTC USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 2 03-04-2010 08:18 AM
Obstructive Pulomonary Disease Mnemonic jackat1000 USMLE Step 1 Mnemonics 0 01-13-2010 09:31 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)