how many pages FA per day after the 1st read? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 592
Threads: 92
Thanked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 206
Send a message via Skype™ to drpisho
Help how many pages FA per day after the 1st read?

Hello guys,
please those who have done step1 help me out on this.

how many pages is adviceable to read with the uworld annotations per day??
i did a schedule with 73 pages per day to finish on a 7day basis. is it too fast??
please recommend me based on personal experience.

i finished uworld and want to do a full read of FA + my annotations before giving NBME.

exam in 4 weeks.

thansk a lot. please helppp

i have time for 12 hour study.
__________________
Will. Power. Faith. MATCHED IM 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 04-20-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 592
Threads: 92
Thanked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 206
Send a message via Skype™ to drpisho
Default

anyone?? please
__________________
Will. Power. Faith. MATCHED IM 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-26-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 592
Threads: 92
Thanked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 206
Send a message via Skype™ to drpisho
Question

Guys, im reading i think up to 50 pages at the max, am i going too slow??

im getting frustrated and dissapointed as i thought i would finish FA in 8 days in this coming monday, and so far ive only done endocrine, reproductive, respiratory (i started with my weak areas) immuno, biochem, micro.
how many days should i take at THE MOST??
I think with my pace ill be doing 11 days please help me this is my 2nd read i thought it would be faster (doing it with all uworld and pathoma annotations) am i doing the right thing?? or am i going too slow????
__________________
Will. Power. Faith. MATCHED IM 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-26-2014
m_aadil's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 14
Threads: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

your pace is fine. FA first read takes lots of time. Dont compromise on ur quality just to complete your quickly. give it time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drpisho (04-27-2014)
  #5  
Old 04-27-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 130
Threads: 15
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

wow how do you manage so many i can hardly read 4 pages per hour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drpisho (04-27-2014), dwijeshsheth (04-27-2014), Mvp12 (07-18-2014)
  #6  
Old 04-27-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 592
Threads: 92
Thanked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 206
Send a message via Skype™ to drpisho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor drake View Post
wow how do you manage so many i can hardly read 4 pages per hour
thanks you both for replying.
this is the deal, its my 2ND TIME. that is why im getting frustrated. i thought it would be faster.
my first time took me 3 weeks.
thanks for your reassuring words, sometimes we just need that little pat on the back from someone else thats going thru the same thing.
getting tense cause i have 3 weeks before the test.

ill try to do it faster, but fast concise, its funny cause in my 2nd read i find "new meaning" to certain words on FA that probably on my 1st time i took for granted.
does this happen? now it gains more sense why more reads to FA is crucial before the test.
__________________
Will. Power. Faith. MATCHED IM 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-27-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 592
Threads: 92
Thanked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 206
Send a message via Skype™ to drpisho
Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor drake View Post
wow how do you manage so many i can hardly read 4 pages per hour
i have (thank God) up to 12-13 hours per day to study,
this is why, im kinda slow, and actually i like to read and then repeat the things to myself in my words and i guess that consumes time, but it works for me.
__________________
Will. Power. Faith. MATCHED IM 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-27-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 130
Threads: 15
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpisho View Post
thanks you both for replying.
this is the deal, its my 2ND TIME. that is why im getting frustrated. i thought it would be faster.
my first time took me 3 weeks.
thanks for your reassuring words, sometimes we just need that little pat on the back from someone else thats going thru the same thing.
getting tense cause i have 3 weeks before the test.

ill try to do it faster, but fast concise, its funny cause in my 2nd read i find "new meaning" to certain words on FA that probably on my 1st time i took for granted.
does this happen? now it gains more sense why more reads to FA is crucial before the test.
i am on my 3rd and certain things that i am weak at 4th-5th time :P but still i do a max of 4 pages though i dont go forward unless i know every word of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-27-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 92
Threads: 1
Thanked 66 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Hey Drphisho

take your time with your reading. you want to absorb and retain as much as much as possible while understanding the material.

I'd recommend 50 pages a day. But if you can manage 73, go for it. There are some areas that are very dense.

I'd recommend spending more time on areas you are weak on, so if you cover less pages that day but learn and recall more, then so be it. You can always make up those pages on a later date.

I am on my 4th read of first aid. the first time took quite a while. second time i did quickly and realized i went too fast and retained not as much as possible (i think tried 80 pages per day-Redbull intake was high). 3rd time I paced myself and referred back to my kaplan books when i felt weak in areas. My weak areas are biochem and micro. So i felt the 3rd read went very well. 4th time i'm using usmle rx to reinforce the material and uworld notes to see what topics were highly tested.

I hope this advice aids you in performing well on the step.

good luck! you can accomplish anything you can put your mind to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drpisho (04-27-2014), jules07 (04-27-2014)
  #10  
Old 04-27-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 130
Threads: 15
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor2k14 View Post
Hey Drphisho

take your time with your reading. you want to absorb and retain as much as much as possible while understanding the material.

I'd recommend 50 pages a day. But if you can manage 73, go for it. There are some areas that are very dense.

I'd recommend spending more time on areas you are weak on, so if you cover less pages that day but learn and recall more, then so be it. You can always make up those pages on a later date.

I am on my 4th read of first aid. the first time took quite a while. second time i did quickly and realized i went too fast and retained not as much as possible (i think tried 80 pages per day-Redbull intake was high). 3rd time I paced myself and referred back to my kaplan books when i felt weak in areas. My weak areas are biochem and micro. So i felt the 3rd read went very well. 4th time i'm using usmle rx to reinforce the material and uworld notes to see what topics were highly tested.

I hope this advice aids you in performing well on the step.

good luck! you can accomplish anything you can put your mind to!
when are you taking your exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 04-27-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 592
Threads: 92
Thanked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 206
Send a message via Skype™ to drpisho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor2k14 View Post
Hey Drphisho

take your time with your reading. you want to absorb and retain as much as much as possible while understanding the material.

I'd recommend 50 pages a day. But if you can manage 73, go for it. There are some areas that are very dense.

I'd recommend spending more time on areas you are weak on, so if you cover less pages that day but learn and recall more, then so be it. You can always make up those pages on a later date.

I am on my 4th read of first aid. the first time took quite a while. second time i did quickly and realized i went too fast and retained not as much as possible (i think tried 80 pages per day-Redbull intake was high). 3rd time I paced myself and referred back to my kaplan books when i felt weak in areas. My weak areas are biochem and micro. So i felt the 3rd read went very well. 4th time i'm using usmle rx to reinforce the material and uworld notes to see what topics were highly tested.

I hope this advice aids you in performing well on the step.

good luck! you can accomplish anything you can put your mind to!

thanks a lot for your reply. definetely ill take your advice. ill hope ill be done by day 11

good luck and the best for ur prep
__________________
Will. Power. Faith. MATCHED IM 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 04-27-2014
jules07's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 42
Threads: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor drake View Post
when are you taking your exam?
Hi guys,

How many pages per hour? I'm wondering...
In my case i only can read at least 5 (side to side) per/hr... OMG! I'm super behind!! when i spend a few days after reading it, i don't remember much...how you can manage retain so much info...
__________________
"Trust yourself and be perseverant"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 05-01-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 592
Threads: 92
Thanked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 206
Send a message via Skype™ to drpisho
Default

so today is my 11th day...
im still missing cardio, renal, psych, neuro, musculo skeletal this is really frustrating me.
nevertheless i have to continue, im reading faster,
its hard to finish more than 2 areas a day!!!
i dont know how people say they can read it in 7 days
maybe fast reading light reading??? what do u guys think. or is it me that im kinda slow. ?
be honest please

p.s. my reading includes all uworld notes + pathoma notes.
__________________
Will. Power. Faith. MATCHED IM 2016!

Last edited by drpisho; 05-01-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 05-01-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 92
Threads: 1
Thanked 66 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

hey doctor drake,

i am undecided at the moment about when to take my exam. going to take some nbmes and see where i stand.

to dr.pisho,

your at a good pace. just make sure you're retaining as much as possible.

some people say they can complete it in 7 days because they have either
1) read it quickly or skimmed through it or 2)have read FA so many times that everything in it is memorized in their head and this is a refresher and they are only concentrating on their weak areas

the subjects you are yet to cover are very very important, so make sure you know them.


your notes are fine. what i did was annotate my uworld notes & pathoma notes into my FA so i don't have to refer to either & only concentrate on FA and FA alone

any extra info, I would make spare notes.

some ppl prefer to make separate notes which is also fine.

best advice i can give you: DO NOT compare yourself to anyone else. everyone learns differently. I made that mistake earlier but learnt to correct it.

good luck and feel free to ask any questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cuanto117 (08-02-2014), drpisho (05-02-2014), jules07 (05-01-2014), neelima208 (05-02-2014)
  #15  
Old 05-02-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 592
Threads: 92
Thanked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 206
Send a message via Skype™ to drpisho
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor2k14 View Post
hey doctor drake,

i am undecided at the moment about when to take my exam. going to take some nbmes and see where i stand.

to dr.pisho,

your at a good pace. just make sure you're retaining as much as possible.

some people say they can complete it in 7 days because they have either
1) read it quickly or skimmed through it or 2)have read FA so many times that everything in it is memorized in their head and this is a refresher and they are only concentrating on their weak areas

the subjects you are yet to cover are very very important, so make sure you know them.


your notes are fine. what i did was annotate my uworld notes & pathoma notes into my FA so i don't have to refer to either & only concentrate on FA and FA alone

any extra info, I would make spare notes.

some ppl prefer to make separate notes which is also fine.

best advice i can give you: DO NOT compare yourself to anyone else. everyone learns differently. I made that mistake earlier but learnt to correct it.

good luck and feel free to ask any questions
thank you, really the BEST advice i have received so far really appreciated.
last weeks are killing me, but as you said everyone one of us is different
i will continue with this.
today ill do musculoskeletal, nephro and ill push it to see at least half neuro, tomorrow rest neuro, cardio and renal and IM DONE FOR heavens sake lol.


dr2k14, the best of luck to your prep!!!
__________________
Will. Power. Faith. MATCHED IM 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doctor2k14 (05-04-2014)



  #16  
Old 05-02-2014
dr_kg's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 333
Threads: 25
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpisho View Post
thank you, really the BEST advice i have received so far really appreciated.
last weeks are killing me, but as you said everyone one of us is different
i will continue with this.
today ill do musculoskeletal, nephro and ill push it to see at least half neuro, tomorrow rest neuro, cardio and renal and IM DONE FOR heavens sake lol.


dr2k14, the best of luck to your prep!!!
did u take an nbme drpisho?
__________________
Work Smarter...not harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 05-02-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 592
Threads: 92
Thanked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 206
Send a message via Skype™ to drpisho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_kg View Post
did u take an nbme drpisho?
yes! i took nbme11 2 months ago before starting to uworld to see what where my weaknesses. ethics was on low end which was a shocker!! anyways ill see where i stand now lol. hopefully khans and conrads helped me in that area.
after my 1st read ill do both uwsa and leave nbme 16 for my last one.
__________________
Will. Power. Faith. MATCHED IM 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 05-02-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 83
Threads: 8
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpisho View Post
yes! i took nbme11 2 months ago before starting to uworld to see what where my weaknesses. ethics was on low end which was a shocker!! anyways ill see where i stand now lol. hopefully khans and conrads helped me in that area.
after my 1st read ill do both uwsa and leave nbme 16 for my last one.
glad to find this post ... very helpful
everybody keeps talking about this guy conrad ... can u please tell me is he the guy in kaplan beh sci videos ???
sorry if it sounds dumb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 05-04-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 92
Threads: 1
Thanked 66 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Hey mom260,

there is no such thing as a dumb question, you can only learn by asking.

Dr.conrad is in the kaplan physiology videos also wrote a book called 100 medical ethical cases.

I believe people are referring to his ethical cases as they are very useful to ace behavioural science.

hope that answers your question.

good luck with studies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 05-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 31
Threads: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

@Doctor2K14- Can you help me regarding, how to do FA with first read? I am currently doing pathology(2nd subject).I find difficult to read FA at this point. could you help me or give me tip how i should do that?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 05-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 92
Threads: 1
Thanked 66 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Hey Redmoon,

I think you can use usmlerx express to go over FA do first time. If not, you can do as follows.

If you are currently doing pathology, it depends on your source (pathoma or goljan).

I personally used pathoma. So what I did was annotate my pathoma notes into my FA (adding post-it notes or sticky tabs or pieces of paper, depending on the length of the notes) beside the associated diseases. Did this because FA expects you to know the pathology previously and not fully explain the diseases themselves in the detail I like. For me, this really helped. I have some friends who also annotated goljan into their FA books but I don't know how. I started with that book but stopped after seeing how detailed it was and I could not retain all that information to be honest.

I hope that answers your question. Otherwise, feel free to ask.
I tend to check in on here quite frequently during my breaks.

good luck with studies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Redmoon (05-05-2014)
  #22  
Old 05-05-2014
qirkergaard's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 252
Threads: 18
Thanked 129 Times in 98 Posts
Reputation: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor2k14 View Post
Hey mom260,

there is no such thing as a dumb question, you can only learn by asking.

Dr.conrad is in the kaplan physiology videos also wrote a book called 100 medical ethical cases.

I believe people are referring to his ethical cases as they are very useful to ace behavioural science.

hope that answers your question.

good luck with studies
I second this. His 100 ethics cases is a must have! A very light yet resourceful read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 05-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 31
Threads: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor2k14 View Post
Hey Redmoon,

I think you can use usmlerx express to go over FA do first time. If not, you can do as follows.

If you are currently doing pathology, it depends on your source (pathoma or goljan).

I personally used pathoma. So what I did was annotate my pathoma notes into my FA (adding post-it notes or sticky tabs or pieces of paper, depending on the length of the notes) beside the associated diseases. Did this because FA expects you to know the pathology previously and not fully explain the diseases themselves in the detail I like. For me, this really helped. I have some friends who also annotated goljan into their FA books but I don't know how. I started with that book but stopped after seeing how detailed it was and I could not retain all that information to be honest.

I hope that answers your question. Otherwise, feel free to ask.
I tend to check in on here quite frequently during my breaks.

good luck with studies
Thank you so much.
I will try your tip and will get back here for more assistance if i need
God bless ya for your good deeds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doctor2k14 (05-05-2014)



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA 2nd Read Right 1st Read ballers USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 11-13-2013 04:45 PM
20 Pages per day of FA rooshy USMLE Step 1 Study Partners 1 09-13-2013 03:07 PM
for first reading, hw long u read a chapter in first aid? or 50 pages? bigBOSSguy USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 02-25-2013 06:53 PM
How many pages of Goljan RR Pathology in a day?? Aliandro USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 07-19-2012 12:30 PM
How many pages you read per day? azizforum USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 11-25-2011 02:18 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)