Problem with Anatomy - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2011
harlesmd's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 390
Threads: 40
Thanked 365 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 375
Anatomy Problem with Anatomy

Hi guys, some of you might say that anatomy is one of the easiest subjects for step 1, but it's not true for me. Since I start preparing for USMLE, anatomy takes the most of my time yet I still score worst in this subject relative to other subjects. My Kaplan diagnostic score for anatomy was only 29% (the lowest score) and now after completing 50% of UW qbanks, anatomy is still the lowest score. I can maintain my average score in UW 79%, all subjects but anatomy score above 72%. Now I barely reach 60% on anatomy and it really affects my overall performance.

I really need your advise how to approach anatomy for step 1. I am using Kaplan Lectures Notes only which I think is pretty comprehensive, but the problem is I can not retain the materials, it comes and goes away easily.

Thanks for your advice
__________________
Time is immortal when you believe on something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 03-26-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 116
Threads: 7
Thanked 343 Times in 94 Posts
Reputation: 353
Default

i hated anatomy. whenever i picked anatomy book, it made me vomit. then what! in real exam, i was begging them to give me more anatomy qs.

Anatomy qs were very easy, and decent. If u do only upper and lower nerves back and forth, brain stem lesions and cranial nerves, ascending and descending pathways, eye reflexes, cereberum with topographical functions and lesions, cns blood supply. GIT blood supply and finally the table that gives embryological origin of different organs, u will get 85% anatomy qs right. and the rest u will be able to guess easily. Don't forget UW anatomy, embryo, histo qs with explanations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bronchiole (03-26-2011), Drmotivation (03-29-2011), harlesmd (03-26-2011), kmdcian (04-02-2011), LatinGeorge (03-27-2011), Mondoshawan (03-27-2011), R777 (12-26-2013), usluipek (03-27-2011)
  #3  
Old 03-26-2011
harlesmd's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 390
Threads: 40
Thanked 365 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drahmednawaz View Post
i hated anatomy. whenever i picked anatomy book, it made me vomit. then what! in real exam, i was begging them to give me more anatomy qs.

Anatomy qs were very easy, and decent. If u do only upper and lower nerves back and forth, brain stem lesions and cranial nerves, ascending and descending pathways, eye reflexes, cereberum with topographical functions and lesions, cns blood supply. GIT blood supply and finally the table that gives embryological origin of different organs, u will get 85% anatomy qs right. and the rest u will be able to guess easily. Don't forget UW anatomy, embryo, histo qs with explanations.
Thanks a lot for pointing out those topics. I think it's true that most anatomy questions come from neuroanatomy. I will write this down on my notes and start revising them again.
__________________
Time is immortal when you believe on something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 12
Thanked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

hi harlesmd

are you using kaplan notes with videos or without videos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-27-2011
harlesmd's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 390
Threads: 40
Thanked 365 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdor View Post
hi harlesmd

are you using kaplan notes with videos or without videos?
Yup I am using the video along with the kaplan lecture notes....
__________________
Time is immortal when you believe on something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 12
Thanked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

harlesmd
50 % of anatomy is not memorization,i tried to memorize HY anatomy and after a month i forgot most of it.
Anatomy=logic + embryology.beleive me.
my advice:this is what i'm doing.
remember that a book can be very good in anatomy of the extremities but not so good in CNS antomy.
Goljan said in an interview that USMLE question's makers know that we can memorize,what they wanna test is if we understand the mecanisn behind.
like drahmednawaz said,there are some specifics chapters that are mostly tested according to the Qbank.
for the plexus_try nmeumonics.
for the CNS tracts -try to see the videos of dr najeed,you can find it in youtube.
for the CNS anatomy-try to read these chapter in guyton,it's very clear.
it explain it like in a conversation.
tell what part of anatomy is most difficult to you?

good luck and don't give up,because anatomy and physiology are almost in everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Drmotivation (03-29-2011), harlesmd (03-27-2011), LatinGeorge (03-27-2011), Lena (05-13-2011), Saiyeda (03-27-2011)
  #7  
Old 03-27-2011
harlesmd's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 390
Threads: 40
Thanked 365 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdor View Post
harlesmd
50 % of anatomy is not memorization,i tried to memorize HY anatomy and after a month i forgot most of it.
Anatomy=logic + embryology.beleive me.
my advice:this is what i'm doing.
remember that a book can be very good in anatomy of the extremities but not so good in CNS antomy.
Goljan said in an interview that USMLE question's makers know that we can memorize,what they wanna test is if we understand the mecanisn behind.
like drahmednawaz said,there are some specifics chapters that are mostly tested according to the Qbank.
for the plexus_try nmeumonics.
for the CNS tracts -try to see the videos of dr najeed,you can find it in youtube.
for the CNS anatomy-try to read these chapter in guyton,it's very clear.
it explain it like in a conversation.
tell what part of anatomy is most difficult to you?

good luck and don't give up,because anatomy and physiology are almost in everything.
Hi, thx for your suggestion. I completely agree that we have to understand the concept behind every subject but for anatomy you have to know the terminology. Let say you understand the concept very well for example the cranial nerves but still you have to remember every details of it, the name of the nucleus, which muscles it innervates, which foramen it passess, and all those things are pure memorization. I agree that using mnemonics will be a great help, but honestly I hate mnemonics just because remembering the mnemonics itself sometimes a daunting task.

I believe that periodically revising the materials is the only way to retain this materials.
__________________
Time is immortal when you believe on something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 12
Thanked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

i agree with you.
the stuff that u think are hard to remember,print some of them in large letters and put them in the wall off your room,stuff like nerve,the IL.and use atlas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
harlesmd (03-27-2011), Tauhid (12-09-2014)
  #9  
Old 03-27-2011
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 653
Threads: 47
Thanked 409 Times in 249 Posts
Reputation: 419
Default

drahmednawaz and drdor .. some great advice!!!!!!!! thats why i like this forum..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Anatomy-, Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PROBLEM while trying to log in Oodesh ECFMG Forum 9 04-25-2011 01:36 PM
HELP: Problem with Goljan Audio harlesmd USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 04-11-2011 08:41 AM
My stupid problem need ur advice! ziad ECFMG Forum 2 10-02-2010 07:50 AM
Parathyroid Problem? Hohepa USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 04-15-2010 02:37 PM
Placental Problem Farazdaq USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 04-01-2010 04:32 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)