which qbank to do first - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 64
Threads: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default which qbank to do first

hello friends,
my exam is in sept.i just finished my second fa read and i finished usmlerx
so now i want to do kaplan qbank and uworld...my questions are...
1;since my exam is in sept last week will it be a good idea to do kaplan qbank in addition to uworld
2;if yes then should i do kaplan qbank first and uworld after or vice versa
3;also please suggest me how to best use nbme..at what time i need to take nbme...in between my qbanks or at the end of my qbanks..

thanku in advance guys....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
5hstar2 (05-17-2014)



  #2  
Old 05-15-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 25
Threads: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default

I'm very happy you have done USMLERx. My recommendation is USMLERx during the school year while reading FA, followed by Kaplan in the months leading up to the exam, and UWorld in your intensive study period. People say that repeating questions helps, but I don't like it very much.

If you are an IMG, it doesn't help as much, but I'd still recommend doing Kaplan then UWorld.

Get the expanded feedback NBMEs, review them at least twice. Don't do them until you are within a month or two of the exam and have finished at least one more QBank. They are high value, so save them for when you are close and need the extra edge. Try to go over them with a friend or spend time with the forums (there are good threads for each of them).

I work on QBanks during the week, then use NBMEs on Sundays as practice exams (treat it like the real thing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr_pawandeep (05-15-2014)
  #3  
Old 05-15-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 64
Threads: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 24
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymind90 View Post
I'm very happy you have done USMLERx. My recommendation is USMLERx during the school year while reading FA, followed by Kaplan in the months leading up to the exam, and UWorld in your intensive study period. People say that repeating questions helps, but I don't like it very much.

If you are an IMG, it doesn't help as much, but I'd still recommend doing Kaplan then UWorld.

Get the expanded feedback NBMEs, review them at least twice. Don't do them until you are within a month or two of the exam and have finished at least one more QBank. They are high value, so save them for when you are close and need the extra edge. Try to go over them with a friend or spend time with the forums (there are good threads for each of them).

I work on QBanks during the week, then use NBMEs on Sundays as practice exams (treat it like the real thing).
thanku so much buddy..yup m img
so doing kaplan first will be a good idea since i will have healty time to do uworld...kaplan provide their qbank at $99 for month so i think spending one month on kaplan and along with first aid before uworld will be good...
and ur nbme suggestion make sense..i also think that spacing nbme in ur last stages say a month or so before can tell you a broad picture of ur prep...and yeah i m plannig to do them like you said treat them as real thing..
thanku so much for ur suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-15-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 214
Threads: 12
Thanked 107 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 117
Default

I would focus on uworld instead of Kaplan. Kaplan questions dont have much quality i think and most of them are not exam style integrated type. (I enrolled for 3 months but dropped it off after ı completed around 50 percent). Uworld is what you need. you will need 2 months to finish and review uworld meticulously.After that you can buy kaplan simulated exams and test yourself if you still wanna see some kaplan questions. But i dont really recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-15-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 64
Threads: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barıs Olten View Post
I would focus on uworld instead of Kaplan. Kaplan questions dont have much quality i think and most of them are not exam style integrated type. (I enrolled for 3 months but dropped it off after ı completed around 50 percent). Uworld is what you need. you will need 2 months to finish and review uworld meticulously.After that you can buy kaplan simulated exams and test yourself if you still wanna see some kaplan questions. But i dont really recommend.
But kaplan give only one month or one year subscription....and they only give their simulated exams with 1 year subscription
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-16-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 214
Threads: 12
Thanked 107 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_pawandeep View Post
But kaplan give only one month or one year subscription....and they only give their simulated exams with 1 year subscription
I enrolled to their live prep course in NYC . İ didnt pay the extra for qbank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-16-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 64
Threads: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barıs Olten View Post
I enrolled to their live prep course in NYC . İ didnt pay the extra for qbank.
so what i need to do is learn uworld(obviously) and no need to do kaplan qbank at all??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-16-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 214
Threads: 12
Thanked 107 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_pawandeep View Post
so what i need to do is learn uworld(obviously) and no need to do kaplan qbank at all??
If you learn uworld well you will be done for exam. Believe me i did both of these qbanks. Kaplan qbank isnt bad at all but you dont need it after uworld. İt will not increase your points.( maybe can increase around 5 ) But of course you can subscribe it and see yourself. It will not hurt you. But definitely it will take your time and money. İt is up to you to believe me or not but i dropped off kaplan qbank and still doing great in uworld. Now i feel i made a right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr_pawandeep (05-16-2014)
  #9  
Old 05-16-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 64
Threads: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 24
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barıs Olten View Post
If you learn uworld well you will be done for exam. Believe me i did both of these qbanks. Kaplan qbank isnt bad at all but you dont need it after uworld. İt will not increase your points.( maybe can increase around 5 ) But of course you can subscribe it and see yourself. It will not hurt you. But definitely it will take your time and money. İt is up to you to believe me or not but i dropped off kaplan qbank and still doing great in uworld. Now i feel i made a right decision.
k...thanx for suggestions...are you done with ur step 1??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-16-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 214
Threads: 12
Thanked 107 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_pawandeep View Post
k...thanx for suggestions...are you done with ur step 1??
not yet. I hope i will be done next month but havent taken my date yet.

By the way i dont wanna mislead you. In my case uworld worked much more better. But of course more question means better score in exam. İf you have time go for it. İ just wanted to tell you my experience with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Qbank after Kaplan Qbank and Uworld? NGaleas USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 04-24-2016 12:33 AM
Difference between Kaplan QBank and High Yield Kaplan QBank ElenaB USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 0 12-15-2013 11:24 PM
Usmle world Qbank or Kaplan Qbank? Mo-tongji USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 07-30-2013 08:21 PM
What to do after Kaplan CK Qbank: UWorld twice or a Third Qbank? Antonosjn USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 05-21-2012 02:20 AM
Old Qbank versus New Qbank jahn77 USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 07-20-2011 01:23 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)