got my score, 196/80 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 10
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Exam-Results got my score, 196/80

Unfortunately i didn't score too well. I am an IMG and this was my first attempt for Step 1. What do you guys think are my chances of matching into Family Med in the states in major cities opposed to rural areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 04-20-2011
Hope2Pass's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,684
Threads: 213
Thanked 1,600 Times in 660 Posts
Reputation: 1610
Default

I think you will have to do exceptionally well on your CS and CK exam and get good LoR's as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-20-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 236
Threads: 4
Thanked 124 Times in 96 Posts
Reputation: 134
Default

Hey

You will have to score 99s all the way thru if u r trying for a city residency.....rural will be manageable.......so make great contacts in ur externship and score sky high in all the future steps !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 05-09-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 338 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat bastard View Post
Unfortunately i didn't score too well. I am an IMG and this was my first attempt for Step 1. What do you guys think are my chances of matching into Family Med in the states in major cities opposed to rural areas?
Also things will be easier if you are a citizen/gc holder and dont need a visa.
Also if you are a citizen/gc holder, u can contact progs in ur area, sometimes having ties to an area has helped people get spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-09-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 219
Threads: 18
Thanked 159 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 158
Default

Lena, how important is a gc for an IMG? I don't have a gc. I was wondering if i score great, have LoRs from US, have a few publications and a couple of months of USCE, would I still need to have a gc to get matched in the good programs of general surgery??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-09-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 338 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesfee View Post
Lena, how important is a gc for an IMG? I don't have a gc. I was wondering if i score great, have LoRs from US, have a few publications and a couple of months of USCE, would I still need to have a gc to get matched in the good programs of general surgery??
For general surgery, pretty much, I know people who have but person in question had 60+ publications/abstracts all in surgery as well as connections, in addition to a 99, great LORs (with affiliate surgeons in institution that he matched with) and 2 yrs USCE
The prob too is that if u need a visa, it affects u applying for prelim progs, so pretty much stuck with categoricals.
Its rough with surgery, but I'd still apply anyway but still also add other specialties.
A GC is huge, a few progs dont even accept apps from those who need a visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
eesfee (05-09-2011)
  #7  
Old 05-09-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 219
Threads: 18
Thanked 159 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 158
Default

Thanks a lot. Btw would it affect my chances of getting a visa if I apply for a gc and get rejected? Because it sounds like a risk to me, if I apply for a gc and get rejectd then im screwed right? I wont even get a visa afterwards especially since im from Pakistan so im pretty sure tht my gc application will get rejected if I apply these days Btw did that guy with 60 publications, LoRs and 2 years USCE etc get rejected???????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-09-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 338 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesfee View Post
Thanks a lot. Btw would it affect my chances of getting a visa if I apply for a gc and get rejected? Because it sounds like a risk to me, if I apply for a gc and get rejectd then im screwed right? I wont even get a visa afterwards especially since im from Pakistan so im pretty sure tht my gc application will get rejected if I apply these days Btw did that guy with 60 publications, LoRs and 2 years USCE etc get rejected???????????
The guy got in (the connections pulled strings) but I know a couple others that didnt.
Its not that simple to apply for a GC, whats your basis? marriage or work
You cant just decide to apply for a GC.
If it was that simple, a lot of people would get an application and apply.

That said still apply, let them decide, even if its a rejection, but u cant say u didnt apply. To save yourself though, have a backup specialty and apply broadly (not just to top progs). Best wishes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
eesfee (05-09-2011)
  #9  
Old 05-09-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 219
Threads: 18
Thanked 159 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 158
Default

My mom is a US citizen and my dad is a canadian citizen. I guess my mom can sponsor me. But even that takes a long while to get processed and still with the kind of repo that my country has these days, my application is sure to be rejected. I have some contacts like my aunt is a PD in a hospital in Texas in the department of surgery. So this means I need lots and lots of contacts if I want to get in. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-09-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 338 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesfee View Post
My mom is a US citizen and my dad is a canadian citizen. I guess my mom can sponsor me. But even that takes a long while to get processed and still with the kind of repo that my country has these days, my application is sure to be rejected. I have some contacts like my aunt is a PD in a hospital in Texas in the department of surgery. So this means I need lots and lots of contacts if I want to get in. Thanks for your help.
Yeah it takes a few yrs if your mom sponsors you. Your aunt is a PD, if she wasnt, u need to make her your fav aunt! hope you got her something for mother's day. She can pull some strings, they decide who gets in. Even if its not her prog, she knows other PDs!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Exam-Results, FM-Match, Low-Scores

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the USMLE World Score a good predictor the real USMLE Score? memo.3tef USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 01-23-2014 05:27 PM
Cant's translate good UW score into good NBME score! warriodoc USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 06-05-2012 08:05 PM
NBME 5 score vs. Real score noone_123i USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 7 05-11-2012 04:12 AM
NBME 5 score vs. Real score noone_123i USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 02-06-2011 05:13 PM
UW- whats the appropriate score to score 99? mle2resident USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 12-06-2010 07:02 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)