Failed step1 - what q bank should i do now?? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Unhappy Failed step1 - what q bank should i do now??

Hi guys, I just found out last week that i failed step 1 186/74.. I am devastated.. as I am sure everyone else would be. I kinda knew that I should not have been going into that exam hall .. but family and peer pressure pushed me.. and so here I am.
I'm following the TAUS method of studying, obviously beginning with those subjects I'm weak in. I spent 9 months studying for this exam the first time, and I am hoping for another 4 months and then re-take it.

Here is my dilemma- I already did uworld two times and Kaplan qbank once.. I'm not sure what qbanks to do now!
I subconsciously may have uworld memorized and I'm so upset because I know its gold standard.
So, what do I do now?? I don't know if its a good idea to do uworld because it may over estimate my score, WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Any help guys, please, thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 04-27-2011
nicki's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 109
Threads: 27
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 49
Default

hey pkul85, I can imagine what you must be going through but look at the bright side. Now you have a chance to work on your weaknesses and get an awesome score. Take some time and reflect on where you went wrong the first time and what you would like to do differently this time around. You have done the two big qbanks for this test so maybe try another?? What were your nbme scores right before your test? Just study smart and make a plan from the beggining...it will all fall into place. I'm sure your going to do great if you give it your all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pkul85 (05-31-2011)
  #3  
Old 04-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Thanks fr your response! Im trying to study smarter ... my nbme scores was 320... i kno i should not have taken it... any reccoemndations, shoudl i still do uworld?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-27-2011
heights's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 557
Threads: 69
Thanked 1,041 Times in 351 Posts
Reputation: 1061
Default

The explanations from UWorld are more important than whether it over-predicts your score (use NBMEs to predict). One thing you can do if you feel like you remember the questions is to do a bock, get the correct answers, then try to figure out why all the other answer choices are wrong. Compare your reasoning with the UW explanation and that will help you figure out if you're on the right track. You can also just do USMLERx if you want a new bank, from what i hear this bank will help you learn FA really well. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-27-2011
nicki's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 109
Threads: 27
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 49
Default

Honestly, UWorld has helped me alot with concepts and that is the main thing with this test. So if I were you, maybe you could try UW again but don't care about percentages and if you only get them right bc you remember (which will happen). Just focus on why the answer is right and why every other option is wrong Use usmlerx or another to test yourself. The general advice I have picked up on forums is to not take the test til the nbmes show atleast 450.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-27-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default hi

failing in step 1 means is nothing to do with again writing n passing the usmle as it is uslees after 1s failed , its better to study for u r country s pg entance exam or buy a pg seat in ur country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsravan View Post
failing in step 1 means is nothing to do with again writing n passing the usmle as it is uslees after 1s failed , its better to study for u r country s pg entance exam or buy a pg seat in ur country
I dont think thats true. I think I can do well the 2nd time around and still have a future as a doc. Many have done it before me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
one_destiny (04-17-2012)
  #8  
Old 04-27-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default hi

may bee at that time its possible , but now its difficult to have residency even if we have 99 also . many of my seniors they r had hard times evn after they got 99 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-27-2011
nicki's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 109
Threads: 27
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 49
Default

I know of people who have step 1 marks ranging 84-89 and they got residency. It's not impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-27-2011
mary's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 339
Threads: 12
Thanked 423 Times in 143 Posts
Reputation: 433
Default

If your question is what comes in third position after UW and Kaplan then you can find the answer here
What is the best USMLE Step 1 Question Bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pkul85 (01-31-2012)
  #11  
Old 04-27-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 336 Times in 126 Posts
Reputation: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsravan View Post
may bee at that time its possible , but now its difficult to have residency even if we have 99 also . many of my seniors they r had hard times evn after they got 99 .
That was them, you cant say to anyone that studying to retake the exam is useless. Many other factors come to place. You dont even know if the person is a US citizen, has US experience, connections and all. Besides the point, I personally know people with multiple failures, who not only went through residency but are practicing now.
Some PDs wanted to know how someone got a 92 after failing several times, and asked them that during their interview. You see that shows persistent and diligence, being able to continue even when you fall. Residency isnt a cake walk after all.
Dont make assumptions, just based on "what you hear", or "what others tell you", do your own personal research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cheesewarrior (04-16-2012), one_destiny (04-17-2012), pranavmerchant (09-07-2013), usmleroad (05-10-2012)
  #12  
Old 04-27-2011
Dr_Laura's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 499
Threads: 85
Thanked 529 Times in 222 Posts
Reputation: 539
Default

I agree... That's just wrong to tell someone. This forum is about encouraging one another, not putting people down. A bunch of people fail and still get residencies. Don't listen to this person, you might have to work a little harder and get other things in your favor, but you can do it. Don't give up! Let the person who made that comment give up and you can take HIS spot!!! HEE HEE
__________________
YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cheesewarrior (04-16-2012), cosiMD (05-26-2011), ElizabethNYC (04-30-2011), Lena (04-27-2011), pkul85 (05-31-2011), usmleroad (05-10-2012)
  #13  
Old 04-27-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 487
Threads: 95
Thanked 1,459 Times in 357 Posts
Reputation: 1469
Arrow

Hello pkul85'

One thing you should know that this is not the end of your study.. actually, this is the stating point for your next step. You are not the only one in the world failed step one, there are many but they didn't fail their effort, they keep on working on their steps and finished step 2 and 3, now working as a physician in US hospital. I know many people personally, they failed step 1 and 2 twice but got residency in IM, family and peds.

Don't be disappointed by this result. Take more effort and keep the momentum flow toward the goal. I'm telling you right now and right here that you will be a wonderful physician one day and will be working in one of the US hospitals.

Let me tell you what you should do now ... take a few weeks off and go somewhere to relax your mind. Don't start studying right away. Keep all your notes and q banks for review. I want you to have new version of UW qbank subscription for 2 months. Read the explanation again and again, make sure you understand the concept behind it. Don't try to memorize the information. Understanding is very important.

Do web-path after the completion of UW. Sign up for robbins q bank online. Do forum qns posted by other students. Make notes from NBMEs and look at them online and read more on that topics.

Doing more qns after qns will help you recall the materials that you have learned already and make you understand well. I suggest you not to read the text books or any other notes except your own notes.

If you do that what I said, you will be fine on the exam and will do better than last time.

I wish you the best of luck on your exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
1TA2B (06-16-2011), cosiMD (05-26-2011), ElizabethNYC (04-30-2011), Lena (04-30-2011), pkul85 (05-31-2011), sami trailer (01-31-2013), savleem (12-21-2011)
  #14  
Old 04-30-2011
Banned
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 38
Threads: 2
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

I know people who failed the exam the first time, retook it, aced it and got awesome residencies. Don't worry. You'll be fine. Just take some time off and relax. After your mind is clear, start studying again. Think about where you went wrong and then start working on the problem. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aktorque (05-02-2011), pkul85 (05-31-2011)
  #15  
Old 05-31-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Smile thank u!

thank you aktorque , and others for your motivating responses. I was so discouraged after i failed, but somehow am picking myself back up to study. Everytime i look at old notes, old highlights i tear up a little... its kinda pathetic. But im hanging in there thanks to support from all of you! I hope to one day practice and make myself proud, i cant see myself doing anything but this, i love it <3... hopefuly soon it will begin to love me back. Thank you.. i will try to keep posting more frequently with ups and downs of this struggle.. hang in there guys and please stay around, your motivation is very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktorque View Post
Hello pkul85'

One thing you should know that this is not the end of your study.. actually, this is the stating point for your next step. You are not the only one in the world failed step one, there are many but they didn't fail their effort, they keep on working on their steps and finished step 2 and 3, now working as a physician in US hospital. I know many people personally, they failed step 1 and 2 twice but got residency in IM, family and peds.

Don't be disappointed by this result. Take more effort and keep the momentum flow toward the goal. I'm telling you right now and right here that you will be a wonderful physician one day and will be working in one of the US hospitals.

Let me tell you what you should do now ... take a few weeks off and go somewhere to relax your mind. Don't start studying right away. Keep all your notes and q banks for review. I want you to have new version of UW qbank subscription for 2 months. Read the explanation again and again, make sure you understand the concept behind it. Don't try to memorize the information. Understanding is very important.

Do web-path after the completion of UW. Sign up for robbins q bank online. Do forum qns posted by other students. Make notes from NBMEs and look at them online and read more on that topics.

Doing more qns after qns will help you recall the materials that you have learned already and make you understand well. I suggest you not to read the text books or any other notes except your own notes.

If you do that what I said, you will be fine on the exam and will do better than last time.

I wish you the best of luck on your exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Amenah (05-31-2011), heights (05-31-2011), sami trailer (01-31-2013)



  #16  
Old 05-31-2011
heights's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 557
Threads: 69
Thanked 1,041 Times in 351 Posts
Reputation: 1061
Default

Way to go! That's awesome that you're ready to go at it again. Just keep pushing and whenever you need some motivation or advice, folks are happy to help! Good luck, you can do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pkul85 (06-16-2011)
  #17  
Old 05-31-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 438
Threads: 111
Thanked 232 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 242
Smile

You can do it, keep working hard. If this is your passion and this is what you want NEVER EVER give up.
Thereīs always people who want to make you feel like sh..t and scare you. Donīt let that get into your head, you are a great smart person and you can do this.
Keep on with the hard work, study with passion and love (I know is hard) but set a goal in your head and before you know it you will be there.
One day you are going to be about this situation and about all the tears and stress of studying for this exam.
Good luck with everything.
By the way take the exam when you feel ready, donīt let the pressure from other people, even family, make you take wrong decisions. Every person is different, some people take 4 months, other 6 months, other a year and so on. ONLY YOU know when you are ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ashishkabir (06-16-2011), pkul85 (06-16-2011)
  #18  
Old 05-31-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jumpman2...26/_-EyRUgp9Mk
Something motivational that tells us that that nothing in life comes without hardwork, everything has a price we must pay.
Other than that, FA UW.... Pain is temporary, quitting is forever--- Lance Armstrong someone who won 7 medals after being diagnosed with a mix testicular cancer- choriocarci, embryonal, and having metastasized to his lungs. He chose not to take bleomycin as a part of the cocktail to avoid pulm fibrosis...still survived because of his will power. Its all in the mind, If you know you can do it, You CAN

Last edited by step1saga; 05-31-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pkul85 (06-16-2011)
  #19  
Old 06-16-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Listening pick urself up...

Pain is temporary, quitting is forever---> I love it!

Also-

Its called overtime and its by Ace hood& Akon. Its been my mantra every morning, i listen to it and i know i gotta put in the 'OVERTIME'.

In these past few days ive bee through all of Kubler- Ross stages of the grief cycle in random orders. FA says that some ppl who fail go through clinical depression. Even though i know i can let myself get there, im trying every which way to stay on track. Ive realized a few reasons why i was super depressed , and all of them come down to my warped sense of security. I dont know why i was soo sure i was going to do well-- it must have been because everyone non-med related ( fam, friends) kept boosting my undeserved confidence... : you're gonna rock it, ur gonna do amazing.. blah blah. MY UW assessments, nbmes all told me otherwise, but i chose the path of believing what i wanted to believe, so here i am.

Bottom line, DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE.... NO ONE. In the end, no one is gonna give a **** about how you got the score you got, whether it took you 7 weeks or 70 weeks, its that score number that will stay with you, for better or for worse. I made my error, i was compelled to take it .. family pressure.. despite better judgement. Please guys, i hope you read this and do not make my mistake.
If you have, accept my sympathies and my chant- ITS NOT OVER . You screwed up, now pick your butt back up , dust off your coat, and re-read! No excuses, no one else to blame. Put your overtime in overdrive. This is our life now, it doesn't matter whether we will ever have to know the difference between carnitine shuttle and citrate shuttle in practice, it is still medicine and its all we've got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
INCOGNITO (06-16-2011), patelMD (06-16-2011)
  #20  
Old 01-31-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Star

An update.
So, after months of studying and getting nowhere, finally ( in a month before my exam scheduled date), i finally crossed a bridge in my head. My scores are scores that people may vomit on-- 200's... But for me this was a cross over. In the last month, for each week i studied, i moved up points. It was very motivational when back in the day, i NEVER PASSED A SINGLE NBME, now i scored around 200 average in the hard nbmes - 7, 11, 12.

My eligibility period ends March 31, and i scheduled my exam for feb 2nd. So, now i made the deicion to push it back till the end of my period. I am really happy that finally, the hours of studying was worth it, and my score can only go up from here. I took nbme 12 yesterday and i realized that i dont want to make the same mistake i made the last time- take the exam out of frustration. As ive said in one of my past posts, no one is going to care how long it took u to score well, as long as u do. ALSO, HONESTLY what difference is 4 more weeks going to make in the long haul. If i dont get a residency because i decided to settle now, ill be using my medical diploma to wipe toilets. Its not worth it.

So, im going to spend the weekend with my fam, not open up a book, and then try to go up a few points. If in these 4-5 weeks, i can go up 20 points, i will consider myself sucessful and will make the cutoffs for residencies that i want to get.

So, here are the things i changed about my study habits:
1- RAPID REVIEW- RR =GOD. Read it and inhale it. This last month, i read RR and it dramatically enhanced my knowledge and understanding to a point where even if i dont know the right answer, i can try to now understand it from the words in the question and eliminate answers that are off base. DO Rapid review.
2- RR+ Questions: Ofcourse do RR in conjuncture with questions. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really is important to make sure u know wat the test needs u to know.
3- RR+ Q BANK + FA: Yup, im adding more material. But FA is key. However, FA will not sink in if u dont undestand RR.
4- Try to have some free time- dinner with freinds one night will not kill you.

My study day:

Morning ( 3 hrs)- Do a random block and go over right and wrong asnwers.

Afternoon ( 3-4 hrs?)- Rapid review 1 chapter. ( make sure u start reading RR abt a month before ur exam, cause RR has 30 chp i think.. so one per day)

Evening (2-3 hrs)- Correlative RR chp in FA. So if u did GIT that day in rr, do GIT in FA. Make sure u keep flipping between pages of RR while ur doing FA.. repetition is key.

You know urself and ur stamina better, so schedule ur breaks as u need them. But honestly, these sources have been the changes i made recently and it correlates with the score hike.

Oh also- i started reading things differently. DIFFERENTIALS IS KEY. make sure if 2 things sound alike, KNOW HOW THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

I tried to regurgitate everything that has kinda changed me in the past few weeks. I hope i can come back and report a decent score, i mean i may not be 90s material, but if i can score to be around average, i will consider myself a sucessful person. As a us citizen, im hoping i wont be completely shut out. Also, if i can bring up my step 2 score, then will also consider myself blessed.

Do the best u can guys, its in all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cheesewarrior (04-16-2012), d_wiqed (01-31-2012), DefeatTheBeast (03-10-2012), oksana (03-10-2012), Rookie (04-16-2012), savleem (02-22-2012), USMLE16 (03-19-2012)
  #21  
Old 03-10-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Unhappy

I have failed step one as well aand it s 6 months passed what should i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 03-10-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 452
Threads: 11
Thanked 354 Times in 197 Posts
Reputation: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkul85 View Post
An update.
So, after months of studying and getting nowhere, finally ( in a month before my exam scheduled date), i finally crossed a bridge in my head. My scores are scores that people may vomit on-- 200's... But for me this was a cross over. In the last month, for each week i studied, i moved up points. It was very motivational when back in the day, i NEVER PASSED A SINGLE NBME, now i scored around 200 average in the hard nbmes - 7, 11, 12.

My eligibility period ends March 31, and i scheduled my exam for feb 2nd. So, now i made the deicion to push it back till the end of my period. I am really happy that finally, the hours of studying was worth it, and my score can only go up from here. I took nbme 12 yesterday and i realized that i dont want to make the same mistake i made the last time- take the exam out of frustration. As ive said in one of my past posts, no one is going to care how long it took u to score well, as long as u do. ALSO, HONESTLY what difference is 4 more weeks going to make in the long haul. If i dont get a residency because i decided to settle now, ill be using my medical diploma to wipe toilets. Its not worth it.

So, im going to spend the weekend with my fam, not open up a book, and then try to go up a few points. If in these 4-5 weeks, i can go up 20 points, i will consider myself sucessful and will make the cutoffs for residencies that i want to get.

So, here are the things i changed about my study habits:
1- RAPID REVIEW- RR =GOD. Read it and inhale it. This last month, i read RR and it dramatically enhanced my knowledge and understanding to a point where even if i dont know the right answer, i can try to now understand it from the words in the question and eliminate answers that are off base. DO Rapid review.
2- RR+ Questions: Ofcourse do RR in conjuncture with questions. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really is important to make sure u know wat the test needs u to know.
3- RR+ Q BANK + FA: Yup, im adding more material. But FA is key. However, FA will not sink in if u dont undestand RR.
4- Try to have some free time- dinner with freinds one night will not kill you.

My study day:

Morning ( 3 hrs)- Do a random block and go over right and wrong asnwers.

Afternoon ( 3-4 hrs?)- Rapid review 1 chapter. ( make sure u start reading RR abt a month before ur exam, cause RR has 30 chp i think.. so one per day)

Evening (2-3 hrs)- Correlative RR chp in FA. So if u did GIT that day in rr, do GIT in FA. Make sure u keep flipping between pages of RR while ur doing FA.. repetition is key.

You know urself and ur stamina better, so schedule ur breaks as u need them. But honestly, these sources have been the changes i made recently and it correlates with the score hike.

Oh also- i started reading things differently. DIFFERENTIALS IS KEY. make sure if 2 things sound alike, KNOW HOW THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

I tried to regurgitate everything that has kinda changed me in the past few weeks. I hope i can come back and report a decent score, i mean i may not be 90s material, but if i can score to be around average, i will consider myself a sucessful person. As a us citizen, im hoping i wont be completely shut out. Also, if i can bring up my step 2 score, then will also consider myself blessed.

Do the best u can guys, its in all of us.
Thanks for this post and thread. Wish you the best of luck. Keep on keeping on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pkul85 (02-01-2013)
  #23  
Old 03-10-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 889 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy View Post
I have failed step one as well aand it s 6 months passed what should i do?
It's better if you start a new thread and tell us what you did for your prep the first time around and what your study plans are now... Maybe people have bright ideas to help you get starting again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 03-20-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkul85 View Post
An update.
So, after months of studying and getting nowhere, finally ( in a month before my exam scheduled date), i finally crossed a bridge in my head. My scores are scores that people may vomit on-- 200's... But for me this was a cross over. In the last month, for each week i studied, i moved up points. It was very motivational when back in the day, i NEVER PASSED A SINGLE NBME, now i scored around 200 average in the hard nbmes - 7, 11, 12.

My eligibility period ends March 31, and i scheduled my exam for feb 2nd. So, now i made the deicion to push it back till the end of my period. I am really happy that finally, the hours of studying was worth it, and my score can only go up from here. I took nbme 12 yesterday and i realized that i dont want to make the same mistake i made the last time- take the exam out of frustration. As ive said in one of my past posts, no one is going to care how long it took u to score well, as long as u do. ALSO, HONESTLY what difference is 4 more weeks going to make in the long haul. If i dont get a residency because i decided to settle now, ill be using my medical diploma to wipe toilets. Its not worth it.

So, im going to spend the weekend with my fam, not open up a book, and then try to go up a few points. If in these 4-5 weeks, i can go up 20 points, i will consider myself sucessful and will make the cutoffs for residencies that i want to get.

So, here are the things i changed about my study habits:
1- RAPID REVIEW- RR =GOD. Read it and inhale it. This last month, i read RR and it dramatically enhanced my knowledge and understanding to a point where even if i dont know the right answer, i can try to now understand it from the words in the question and eliminate answers that are off base. DO Rapid review.
2- RR+ Questions: Ofcourse do RR in conjuncture with questions. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really is important to make sure u know wat the test needs u to know.
3- RR+ Q BANK + FA: Yup, im adding more material. But FA is key. However, FA will not sink in if u dont undestand RR.
4- Try to have some free time- dinner with freinds one night will not kill you.

My study day:

Morning ( 3 hrs)- Do a random block and go over right and wrong asnwers.

Afternoon ( 3-4 hrs?)- Rapid review 1 chapter. ( make sure u start reading RR abt a month before ur exam, cause RR has 30 chp i think.. so one per day)

Evening (2-3 hrs)- Correlative RR chp in FA. So if u did GIT that day in rr, do GIT in FA. Make sure u keep flipping between pages of RR while ur doing FA.. repetition is key.

You know urself and ur stamina better, so schedule ur breaks as u need them. But honestly, these sources have been the changes i made recently and it correlates with the score hike.

Oh also- i started reading things differently. DIFFERENTIALS IS KEY. make sure if 2 things sound alike, KNOW HOW THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

I tried to regurgitate everything that has kinda changed me in the past few weeks. I hope i can come back and report a decent score, i mean i may not be 90s material, but if i can score to be around average, i will consider myself a sucessful person. As a us citizen, im hoping i wont be completely shut out. Also, if i can bring up my step 2 score, then will also consider myself blessed.

Do the best u can guys, its in all of us.
ok stupid question, but when you say rapid review do u mean goljan path rapid review or some other book?
and yes i failed my step 1 the first time, over a yr ago...and now ive finally had the courage to pick up those books and start again..plan on attempting in may 2012 but im reallllly scared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 04-16-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Angry

hey im so sorry i just saw this message for some reason!
Yes, i mean goljan rapid review text book- USMLeforums wont let me put in a link but if u google "Rapid Review Pathology Revised Reprint: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 3e [Paperback]" then u will see what im talking about .

(seeing im replying 3 wks later, im sure u must have already figured this out! ) so sorry once again.. stupid spam folder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 04-18-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Thumbs Up i passed :)

As i said, i would update.

... I passed u guys I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU. Thank you for all the support, motivation a ton of you have directly provided me with, and others whose self motivation really pushed me to my max.

I am not going 2 put up my score here- because i realized recently that my cover has been blown unfortunately.. but i passed and trust me, i am happy :-)

Here are a few things i learnt on my journey that ive posted above already but i will reiterate:

- Rapid review is god- inhale and never exhale it. ever.

- Schedule is essential : Make a schedule- you cant just "wing" it, decide what to study the day of.. it doesnt work that way. You make a schedule- first for 2 wks and see how u stick to it.. adjust as necessary. Then you make monthly schedules and stick to it. Leave weekends free- one day should be a free day, the other should be what i call " catch up" day. On catch up day ( in my case, saturday was my free day because thts when my friends were available to hang out, and sunday was my catch up day).. you should use tht day to catch up on shortcomings in your weekly schedule .. for example: wednesday u read 10 pgs instead of 20 that were due. Those remaining 10 pgs must be saved for catch up day. Whever u do- stick to ur schedule.. work around ur off days ( weekends)

- Genetics, Neuro, Path, Biochem, Molecular- I can not emphasize how important these subjects really are. In my opinion, you must surpass the boundaries of FA for genetics.. its just not enough. Make sure you read something substantial. I was not a huge fan of HY for molecular and genetics- but it may help others and its gotten rave reviews by others.

-Dr. Najeeb lectures- They are fairly long and priced fairly online.. ( im sure torrents are also available somewhere). They take up time, but seriously, they are wicked amazing. I wish i knew about his lectures before i started studying- thats waht i would have started off with.. no joke. He takes a lot of pride in teaching and it shows in his videos.

- NBME= gold. It has never failed me. I took an nbme 6 wks before my exam ( scores which i posted on one of these threads), but then i took one 4 wks before ( didnt post that score).. it was nbme 12. My score on this one, was EXACTLY THE SAME as my real exam score. Please dont take nbme lightly.

- You can lie to others,but not to urself.. so i suggest u dont even try. Dont act like u know a subject when u dont. Ask urself.. dig deep.. u will know when ur lying to urself. Its never too late to catch it and fix it. Work on ur weaknesses- dont just go to the temple and pray that they wont show up. Remember, god wont help u if u dont help urself.

Please dont email me and ask me what my "score" was. I did not get a 75 or 99.. but at the same time.. I am not ashamed because i worked really hard to fix my mistakes. If you need some help, i will be more than happy to try and help u based on my experience.

I just wanted to come here and thank u all so much!!!! I have a headache because i cried ( tears of joy ofcourse) so much all day, i was a hot, happy mess. The sacrifice, u guys, it will be worth it in the end.. just please hang in there. If you are burnt out, take the weekend off.. it wont kill u, trust me.. i learnt this after making many mistakes. Good luck, ill still be around ! (unless they decide we dont have to take step 2, 3 anymore )

Im a very very average student. If i can get past this, ANYONE can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (04-19-2012), Doc4Step1 (05-09-2012), letmein (04-19-2012), pranavmerchant (09-07-2013)
  #27  
Old 04-19-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 224
Threads: 12
Thanked 90 Times in 57 Posts
Reputation: 100
Show Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkul85 View Post
as i said, i would update.

... I passed u guys i just wanted to say a huge thank you. Thank you for all the support, motivation a ton of you have directly provided me with, and others whose self motivation really pushed me to my max.

I am not going 2 put up my score here- because i realized recently that my cover has been blown unfortunately.. But i passed and trust me, i am happy :-)

here are a few things i learnt on my journey that ive posted above already but i will reiterate:

- rapid review is god- inhale and never exhale it. Ever.

- schedule is essential : Make a schedule- you cant just "wing" it, decide what to study the day of.. It doesnt work that way. You make a schedule- first for 2 wks and see how u stick to it.. Adjust as necessary. Then you make monthly schedules and stick to it. Leave weekends free- one day should be a free day, the other should be what i call " catch up" day. On catch up day ( in my case, saturday was my free day because thts when my friends were available to hang out, and sunday was my catch up day).. You should use tht day to catch up on shortcomings in your weekly schedule .. For example: Wednesday u read 10 pgs instead of 20 that were due. Those remaining 10 pgs must be saved for catch up day. Whever u do- stick to ur schedule.. Work around ur off days ( weekends)

- genetics, neuro, path, biochem, molecular- i can not emphasize how important these subjects really are. In my opinion, you must surpass the boundaries of fa for genetics.. Its just not enough. Make sure you read something substantial. I was not a huge fan of hy for molecular and genetics- but it may help others and its gotten rave reviews by others.

-dr. Najeeb lectures- they are fairly long and priced fairly online.. ( im sure torrents are also available somewhere). They take up time, but seriously, they are wicked amazing. I wish i knew about his lectures before i started studying- thats waht i would have started off with.. No joke. He takes a lot of pride in teaching and it shows in his videos.

- nbme= gold. It has never failed me. I took an nbme 6 wks before my exam ( scores which i posted on one of these threads), but then i took one 4 wks before ( didnt post that score).. It was nbme 12. My score on this one, was exactly the same as my real exam score. Please dont take nbme lightly.

- you can lie to others,but not to urself.. So i suggest u dont even try. Dont act like u know a subject when u dont. Ask urself.. Dig deep.. U will know when ur lying to urself. Its never too late to catch it and fix it. Work on ur weaknesses- dont just go to the temple and pray that they wont show up. Remember, god wont help u if u dont help urself.

Please dont email me and ask me what my "score" was. I did not get a 75 or 99.. But at the same time.. I am not ashamed because i worked really hard to fix my mistakes. If you need some help, i will be more than happy to try and help u based on my experience.

I just wanted to come here and thank u all so much!!!! I have a headache because i cried ( tears of joy ofcourse) so much all day, i was a hot, happy mess. The sacrifice, u guys, it will be worth it in the end.. Just please hang in there. if you are burnt out, take the weekend off.. It wont kill u, trust me.. I learnt this after making many mistakes. good luck, ill still be around ! (unless they decide we dont have to take step 2, 3 anymore ) happy-2

Im a very very average student. If i can get past this, anyone can.
this time also did u use uworld??? I mean did u write notes for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 04-19-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkul85 View Post
Hi guys, I just found out last week that i failed step 1 186/74.. I am devastated.. as I am sure everyone else would be. I kinda knew that I should not have been going into that exam hall .. but family and peer pressure pushed me.. and so here I am.
I'm following the TAUS method of studying, obviously beginning with those subjects I'm weak in. I spent 9 months studying for this exam the first time, and I am hoping for another 4 months and then re-take it.

Here is my dilemma- I already did uworld two times and Kaplan qbank once.. I'm not sure what qbanks to do now!
I subconsciously may have uworld memorized and I'm so upset because I know its gold standard.
So, what do I do now?? I don't know if its a good idea to do uworld because it may over estimate my score, WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Any help guys, please, thank you so much!!!
Taus is a good method. Do USMLERx to learn FA and do UWorld again. Possibly think of adding kaplan too because you will remember UWorld questions.
__________________
Score high on Step 1:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 04-21-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 134
Threads: 12
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Congratulations..on gettin thru step 1 this time...

Good job!!!! Your hard work has paid off....

oh yeah i was wondering so first time around when you were preparing did you kaplan lecture notes??

Do you think kaplan is enough for the molecular and genetics part?? Or do we have to do high yield book???

How many hours did you study the second time around per day???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 04-22-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj23 View Post
this time also did u use uworld??? I mean did u write notes for it?
Yes yes. Those pointers i wrote up are just things that people may forget or not think of. I did the usual things that everyone cant do without-
- Kaplan Lec notes
- First Aid ( a gazillion times atleast)
- Kaplan videos ( on weak subjects)
-Rapid review ( 3xs)
- Kaplan Qbank
-USMLE world q bank

For both q banks- i did not make seperate notes. Just tried to take notes in first aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 04-22-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hstar View Post
Congratulations..on gettin thru step 1 this time...

Good job!!!! Your hard work has paid off....

oh yeah i was wondering so first time around when you were preparing did you kaplan lecture notes??

Do you think kaplan is enough for the molecular and genetics part?? Or do we have to do high yield book???

How many hours did you study the second time around per day???
First time- Yes, i definitely read KLN. I wish i read it more than once.
Kaplan is really phenomenal for molecular & genetics. I didnt find Kaplan videos helpful for genetics as much.. but to each his own I would also take a day and do HY Molecular. HY has a few explanations that helped me ( lac operon stuff, some genetics)

Round 2- i studied around the same as first round, but i studied smarter and as a result it worked out better. Sorry, to answer ur question- i averaged around 9 hr/day of active studying.

I took some time out for ME and i learnt to STOP when i knew my brain was getting over saturated-- remember, u dont want to turn this experience into something negative.. so before u push urself down a bad road, take a step back and breathe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Hope2Pass (04-22-2012)
  #32  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 134
Threads: 12
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Hii, THanks for your advice appreciate it

Also, you watched all the kaplan videos too right? so you advice going thru kaplan 2x at least??


Good luck with your future endeavours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 646
Threads: 52
Thanked 761 Times in 256 Posts
Reputation: 772
Default

pls read the following thread ...
maybe it will help u in some way

to anyone with "failed" in their result
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 04-23-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hstar View Post
Hii, THanks for your advice appreciate it

Also, you watched all the kaplan videos too right? so you advice going thru kaplan 2x at least??


Good luck with your future endeavours?
Yes, i definitely advise anyone to go through kaplan lecture notes atleast twice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35  
Old 05-09-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 20
Threads: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Question Congragulation on ure score

Hi,

I just want it to know how long does it took you to prepare again to retake the step1 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 01-31-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabirules View Post
Hi,

I just want it to know how long does it took you to prepare again to retake the step1 ?
It took me another year unfortunately :-/ But never unerstetimate the power of a good step score. You should take whatever time you need to get a GOOD SCORE if u have already failed once and use NBME as your guide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37  
Old 02-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 69
Threads: 16
Thanked 86 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratung View Post
@psravan! ur being a jerk by demotivating someone like that!

@pkul..i know someone who had double 77 and got a residency in 2 yrs!dont put urself DOWWWN!!nothing has happened..u hav whole life ahead of you!family pressure doesnot decide what happens to you!take as much time as you desire!and be very sure about your preparation!!i know its hard to start all over again but cheer up bro!somebody you will remember all this as a physician, and ull proudly say that 'i have achieved'
Thanks @ratung! Im hoping i get residency and I wish everyone on here luck as well! If i can get it, ANYONE can .. and im hoping to stick around to motivate others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Failed-Attempts, Qbanks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The difference between UWorld Q Bank+Self assessment and UWorld Q Bank only ? wahaha007 USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 07-26-2016 08:48 AM
kaplan q bank anyone? haritha For Sale & Wanted Items 2 08-22-2012 08:52 AM
Q Bank or Q Bank Plus????? evavar USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 09-23-2010 11:09 AM
Failed Attempt! futureresident USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 06-12-2010 05:57 AM
A great Q bank JSA-mant USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 08-05-2009 07:42 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)