got my score today....it's 200/82...:( - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Unhappy got my score today....it's 200/82...:(

Hey guys.....I got my score today and it's 200/82.........

I am an IMG.....and my exam was really really hard.............yes, I got several common topics but for others, I really had no idea..........and after my exam, I felt like I have 50-50 chance....either pass or fail.......but the exam for me was so scary that I thought I'm not gonna sit for it again if I fail!!!!

Hey, I'm not discouraging you guys, actually I faced a lot of problems while preparing for the exam because the exam system....the important diseases...genetics....immunology...behavioural sc......were way too different from our country....and also I was always used to study in groups.......so, the exam for me was scary..........

15 days before the original date of my exam, I took NBME 7 and I scored 240/166....!!!! Then I postponed my exam to 1 month........because that was the end of my eligible period....and then I studied like hell.........!!!!

I knew my score won't be that good.....and it is not good....at least for an IMG....but my question is....isn't there any chance for me to get the chance in residency????

I am happy that I passed but also very tensed about my future....

Please help me guys.......what do I have to do next????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Lena (05-18-2011), txflipmd (04-22-2013)



  #2  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 70
Threads: 2
Thanked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default You still have a chance!

Of course you have a chance! Just get a high score in Step 2. Try to get good LOR's.

When you get an interview, give them a great impression..

I'm sure you will do what is needed. Don't get discouraged!!

You passed it! On the first try!

Best of luck!!

It all depends on how you play the rest of the cards!

Smile ok!! Life is GOOD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 17
Threads: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

hey...Im an IMG too..I know it must be disheartening,but its just one step. You can get good scores in the remaining 2, build up a good CV, do observerships, and you ll be fine. I know of people with both Step 1 and CK scores in 80's or one in 80's and another in 90's , who, with a bit extra effort, have gone on to get matched.
So put this behind you and work harder and harder for whats next.
Cos if you never quit,you never lose.
Best of Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethNYC View Post
Of course you have a chance! Just get a high score in Step 2. Try to get good LOR's.

When you get an interview, give them a great impression..

I'm sure you will do what is needed. Don't get discouraged!!

You passed it! On the first try!

Best of luck!!

It all depends on how you play the rest of the cards!

Smile ok!! Life is GOOD!


thanks a lot for your encouragement.... I heard a lot about the word 'LOR' but never tried to find out....always thought, let me finish my exam first......can you tell me what it stands for???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
hey...Im an IMG too..I know it must be disheartening,but its just one step. You can get good scores in the remaining 2, build up a good CV, do observerships, and you ll be fine. I know of people with both Step 1 and CK scores in 80's or one in 80's and another in 90's , who, with a bit extra effort, have gone on to get matched.
So put this behind you and work harder and harder for whats next.
Cos if you never quit,you never lose.
Best of Luck.
thanks a lot for your encouragement........ Let's hope for the best.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 566
Threads: 25
Thanked 524 Times in 263 Posts
Reputation: 534
Default

Bro, dont worry because of that, Be thankful you passed... and focus in your next steps... you will see with that Courage u will get and conquer great score in the next steps...

Focus on Step 2 /3 score... and LOR's ... u will see

btw, CONGRATS!!! step 1 is left behind by now.=)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrTareq (05-18-2011)
  #7  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 70
Threads: 2
Thanked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default

LOR= Letter of Recommendation..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrTareq (05-18-2011)
  #8  
Old 05-18-2011
Dr_Laura's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 499
Threads: 85
Thanked 529 Times in 222 Posts
Reputation: 539
Thumbs Up Thank you!

I feel like only the 99ers post their experience... Thank you for posting yours! I would be very happy with your score. I'm sure you will match
__________________
YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrTareq (05-18-2011)
  #9  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 566
Threads: 25
Thanked 524 Times in 263 Posts
Reputation: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Laura View Post
I feel like only the 99ers post their experience... Thank you for posting yours! I would be very happy with your score. I'm sure you will match
I feel the same, ppl only see 99 posted here, so sometimes others just keep their 80+ reserved!!

People be advise that only passing this exam means a lot!!! The test dont define you, we are not test takers, we are doctors. Keep that in mind!! God bless u all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Nothing is Impossible, the Word Itself says "I'm Possible"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrTareq (05-18-2011)
  #10  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 336 Times in 126 Posts
Reputation: 346
Default

Look at it this way, u made a dramatic improvement in about 6 wks! Now thats a feat...CONGRATS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrTareq (05-18-2011)
  #11  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Correct Answer Thanks....

thank you all so much for encouraging me....that is why I like this forum...it has been helping me for the last 3 or 4 months of my preparation....I was almost a silent user, posted very little.........but the questions, discussions that are being done here helped me a great deal!!

In that way, I'm thankful to all the users of this forum....wish me luck for the coming exams....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Correct Answer You are right!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulz View Post
I feel the same, ppl only see 99 posted here, so sometimes others just keep their 80+ reserved!!

People be advise that only passing this exam means a lot!!! The test dont define you, we are not test takers, we are doctors. Keep that in mind!! God bless u all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always felt like that way....I've always thought that everyone out there is getting 99, may I'll be the only one who won't get it......hope I were wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 566
Threads: 25
Thanked 524 Times in 263 Posts
Reputation: 534
Default

Just keep it bro ... i just receive the notice of one of my friend who score 85 on step 1 who just Get 99!!! at the CK... =)

Everything is possible just KEEP BRING IT! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrTareq (05-19-2011)
  #14  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 116
Threads: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Congrats!! great advices here, kill the other steps no worries! and its true we only see high scores coz low scores are not posted. Thanks for sharing your honest experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrTareq (05-19-2011)
  #15  
Old 05-18-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 336 Times in 126 Posts
Reputation: 346
Default

Be sure to share your experience too. What did you do differently the last 6 weeks after the dismal NBME 7 score!

I had a friend get 209 on step I and ended up with a 241 on CK!! Knock it out, dead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 17
Threads: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Laura View Post
I feel like only the 99ers post their experience... Thank you for posting yours! I would be very happy with your score. I'm sure you will match
Thats true. I got a 94 yesterday(step 1) and was disappointed.And definitely didn't feel like posting after looking at the slew of 99's. But Im determined to get 99 in CK. Nothing's gonna stop me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 335
Threads: 24
Thanked 295 Times in 152 Posts
Reputation: 305
Default

Hey, like everyone said you showed a great improvement, that shows what you're capable of. You can do great on ck, give it your best and dont rush into it. As for your chances, of course you got them! Just get good score in ck, a few months of observorship, research or externship, whatever you can get your hands on and you are good to go. Remember, this has happened to people before you and will happen to others after you, you are not alone, so don't worry, you're gonna be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrTareq (05-19-2011)
  #18  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Smile

Hi DrTareq,
I'm not preparing for USMLE yet but I want to say something which may help you.
I was a high school student in a non-US,Canada and European country, I started studying for Biology Olympiad. there I studied Biology for THREE years ONLY biology with the dream that I can get to a good university in my country and then go to Harvard Med school. after that I participated in 2 steps of biology Olympiad and I got accepted then I get a permission to go to my country's capital to participate in a 2 month long course which in that our medals with respect to our marks was given the first 8 persons was given Gold and they was permitted to go directly to their dreamed University and I got silver! Now I lost the chance of getting a good university here but I have still the chance of getting to Harvard med school (HMS) that's why I've joined this forum too soon (to get 100! in USMLE and get to Harvard!!!) I've many many problems about getting there like I don't have a very rich family to get to a private university in US but it's my dream and I asked God: ((I've worked hard to learn the science which you've created so if I'm eligible, give me that!)) :sorry:
So never give up friend, Life is long and God is kind.
I hope you BEST! (like Harvard!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.Smaz (05-23-2011), DrTareq (05-19-2011), sandy_presto3 (05-19-2011)
  #19  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulz View Post
Just keep it bro ... i just receive the notice of one of my friend who score 85 on step 1 who just Get 99!!! at the CK... =)

Everything is possible just KEEP BRING IT! =)
Hope I can do it, too.........thanks for letting me know about your friend..hope I'm not a total loser....!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 31
Threads: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 21
Arrow mistakes that I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
Be sure to share your experience too. What did you do differently the last 6 weeks after the dismal NBME 7 score!

I had a friend get 209 on step I and ended up with a 241 on CK!! Knock it out, dead!

actually....at first I thought, I studied very systematically....like..I finished Kaplans first (which I realized later that I don't remember anything)...then I started FA and also USMLE World qbank....I took all the notes on my FA from USMLE world and made that one my main book....and also, I did USMLE World qbanks several times....at first I was getting around 30-35%..then 60-65%.....then 80-85%....and etc.....subjectwise.......chapter wise.....systemwise....anything............I didn't realize that I was studying actually haphazardly....!!!! When I took NBME 7...I was so shattered.....I again finished my FA (and some parts of goljan) in 2 weeks....and took USMLE World questions everyday(I renewed it 3 times)...then I was getting 90-95%.....I was very happy with my performance...but when it was only 1 month left (4 weeks), I took random questions from another source, but saw that I can't answer any of them............then I found out where I was wrong...!!!! I actually memorized most the answers of UWORLD, more than the concepts......which misguided me.....knowledge were there but I didn't know how to apply them....

When I had only 1 month left....I knew I can't do any dramatic change but I'll try my best........I arranged different types of questions from different sources........like other NBMEs.....usmleRx..........kaplans..........kaplan qbook........they became my study material.......everyday I tried to do at least 300 questions.............and tried to find out my weak points..........studied those, related topics....in 1 month, I had nothing more to do..........and then...it's the result....

I know I am not an ideal person to give advice.......but one thing I must say....do lots and lots...and lots of questions...........as many as questions you'll face....you'll be able to think about them, and also the whole book...materials will be set in your mind....your concepts will be clear day by day.........

and another thing is, don't just rely on only one qbank.....ofcourse UWORLD is the best one but don't do it too many times....you'll be confined with that one........now I know my mistakes..........I will work on that on my next steps......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ellen_dinh (06-11-2011)
  #21  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 336 Times in 126 Posts
Reputation: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTareq View Post
actually....at first I thought, I studied very systematically....like..I finished Kaplans first (which I realized later that I don't remember anything)...then I started FA and also USMLE World qbank....I took all the notes on my FA from USMLE world and made that one my main book....and also, I did USMLE World qbanks several times....at first I was getting around 30-35%..then 60-65%.....then 80-85%....and etc.....subjectwise.......chapter wise.....systemwise....anything............I didn't realize that I was studying actually haphazardly....!!!! When I took NBME 7...I was so shattered.....I again finished my FA (and some parts of goljan) in 2 weeks....and took USMLE World questions everyday(I renewed it 3 times)...then I was getting 90-95%.....I was very happy with my performance...but when it was only 1 month left (4 weeks), I took random questions from another source, but saw that I can't answer any of them............then I found out where I was wrong...!!!! I actually memorized most the answers of UWORLD, more than the concepts......which misguided me.....knowledge were there but I didn't know how to apply them....

When I had only 1 month left....I knew I can't do any dramatic change but I'll try my best........I arranged different types of questions from different sources........like other NBMEs.....usmleRx..........kaplans..........kaplan qbook........they became my study material.......everyday I tried to do at least 300 questions.............and tried to find out my weak points..........studied those, related topics....in 1 month, I had nothing more to do..........and then...it's the result....

I know I am not an ideal person to give advice.......but one thing I must say....do lots and lots...and lots of questions...........as many as questions you'll face....you'll be able to think about them, and also the whole book...materials will be set in your mind....your concepts will be clear day by day.........

and another thing is, don't just rely on only one qbank.....ofcourse UWORLD is the best one but don't do it too many times....you'll be confined with that one........now I know my mistakes..........I will work on that on my next steps......
Again great job and thanks for sharing. Take a break and enjoy your score but most importantly try and restore your confidence in yourself, because in this path, you need to be your biggest cheerleader and supporter, cause it gets harder as we climb up the ladder. Dont call yourself a loser, because you cant let Step I or any exam define you, instead use it as ammunition to destroy what is still yet ahead. Best of wishes with CK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
DrTareq (05-19-2011)



Reply

Tags
Exam-Results, Step-1-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just received my score today !!! harlesmd USMLE Step 1 Forum 41 03-19-2015 06:26 PM
Got my USMLE Step 1 Score back today Peewee USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 04-01-2012 04:33 AM
got my score today.... Muqueet USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 05-15-2011 02:24 AM
Got my score today 99/250 sman USMLE Step 1 Forum 14 03-10-2011 05:47 AM
Got my score today...........after waiting for long!!! cool_atomic USMLE Step 1 Forum 21 12-09-2010 11:14 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)