Honeymoon cystitis; Describe the microorganism! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 20
Urine Sample Honeymoon cystitis; Describe the microorganism!

A 27 y/o woman, after returning home from her honeymoon, has developed urinary frequency, disuria, urgency. Her urine is grossly bloody. Which lab data are most likely to define the causal agent?

a. A gram negative doplococcus, which is oxidase + but do not ferment maltose
b. a gram positive coccus, which is catalase + ang coagulase -
c. an optochin resisitant. catalase -, gram positive coccus
d. a gram positive bacillus grow on a low oxidation-reduction medium
e. a gram-negative bacterium capable of reducting nitrates to nitrites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bebix (05-19-2011), Claus_CU (05-25-2011), dr.muhamad (05-20-2011), drgabroomunda (05-20-2011), dryamnaz (05-25-2011), Evergreen (03-31-2012), keyur28 (07-09-2011), Lena (05-21-2011), Mondoshawan (05-19-2011), Taiwan_Guy (05-21-2011)



  #2  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,229 Times in 411 Posts
Reputation: 1253
Default

B. Gram +, catalase +, coagulase -, (novobiocin resistant) cocci
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ibukun (05-23-2011)
  #3  
Old 05-19-2011
bebix's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,357
Threads: 194
Thanked 3,260 Times in 881 Posts
Reputation: 3270
Default

I will go with E...I think E. Coli is more common than S. saprophyticus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 324
Threads: 70
Thanked 237 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 247
Default

I think its E.bcoz the most common cause of Urinary tract infection in US is E.coli.
but if is S.saprophyticus then it's B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 298
Threads: 45
Thanked 717 Times in 210 Posts
Reputation: 727
Default

I think that since it is this woman's honeymoon, we are led to believe that she is having sex for the first time, so I would answer B, S. Saprophiticus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-19-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default B, staphylococcus saprophyticus

B, staph. Saprophyticus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-20-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

E.Coli is the most common cause of UTI so i'll go with E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-20-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 23
Threads: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to wasify81
Default

I will go with e.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-20-2011
dr.muhamad's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 300
Threads: 22
Thanked 97 Times in 62 Posts
Reputation: 107
Default

i go for e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-20-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 140
Threads: 5
Thanked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 128
Default

b Staph Saprophyticus.
I dont think they would have mentioned honeymoon if they didnt want us to think along this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 05-20-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 20
Default

they think it's E.Coli, so the right answer is e.

That's clear that E.Coli is the most common cause of cystitis, but doesn't it matter that it's a honeymoon cystitis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 05-20-2011
bebix's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,357
Threads: 194
Thanked 3,260 Times in 881 Posts
Reputation: 3270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apx85 View Post
I think that since it is this woman's honeymoon, we are led to believe that she is having sex for the first time, so I would answer B, S. Saprophiticus.
woman's honeymoon = sex for the first time???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 05-20-2011
dr.muhamad's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 300
Threads: 22
Thanked 97 Times in 62 Posts
Reputation: 107
Default

lol i dont think honeymoon =1st time in usa
that means first time in our countries not in usa heeheh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 05-20-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 55
Threads: 2
Thanked 93 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 103
Default

if she happens to be NEWLY sexually active, the answer has to be B. staph saprophyticus. returning from honeymoon might be the hint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 05-20-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 590
Threads: 31
Thanked 1,229 Times in 411 Posts
Reputation: 1253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.muhamad View Post
lol i dont think honeymoon =1st time in usa
that means first time in our countries not in usa heeheh
There are lots of people in the U.S. for whom their honeymoon is their first time, even people who were born here and whose parents were born here... Also remember that, unlike most places, many of the Americans you will see were not born here, or their parents weren't, or their grandparents weren't... but they're no less American than the obese white person with type 2 DM in the next room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
donofitaly (05-23-2011), dr.muhamad (05-20-2011), Gulara (08-26-2011)



  #16  
Old 05-20-2011
bebix's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,357
Threads: 194
Thanked 3,260 Times in 881 Posts
Reputation: 3270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoshawan View Post
There are lots of people in the U.S. for whom their honeymoon is their first time, even people who were born here and whose parents were born here... Also remember that, unlike most places, many of the Americans you will see were not born here, or their parents weren't, or their grandparents weren't... but they're no less American than the obese white person with type 2 DM in the next room.
well, in any case, if you see something like this in your usmle, donīt think "honeymoon = first time", just think "honeymoon = increased frequency of sexual intercourse"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 05-20-2011
dr.muhamad's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 300
Threads: 22
Thanked 97 Times in 62 Posts
Reputation: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebix View Post
well, in any case, if you see something like this in your usmle, donīt think "honeymoon = first time", just think "honeymoon = increased frequency of sexual intercourse"
hehe thank you both my friends
i think it should be a behavioral question too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 05-20-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 71
Threads: 12
Thanked 60 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 70
Default

It's B. S. Saprophyticus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 05-20-2011
1TA2B's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 475
Threads: 39
Thanked 353 Times in 169 Posts
Reputation: 376
Default

WOW! Excellent debates!

What's the right answer, Momiak?

I'm more inclined to B because of its association with intercourse!
__________________
Skill+Hardwork+Preparation=Success
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 05-21-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 20
Default

I'm glad to see, that'a an interesting topic for a discussion
Thanks everybody for your answers)

The RIGHT ANSWER is E. Coz E.Coli is the most common cause of cystitis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 05-21-2011
1TA2B's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 475
Threads: 39
Thanked 353 Times in 169 Posts
Reputation: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momiak View Post
I'm glad to see, that'a an interesting topic for a discussion
Thanks everybody for your answers)

The RIGHT ANSWER is E. Coz E.Coli is the most common cause of cystitis.
Oh "honeymoon" is totally red herring then!

Is the question from UW?

Thanks
__________________
Skill+Hardwork+Preparation=Success
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 05-22-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 20
Default

The question is from Kaplan Microbiology book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 05-22-2011
Lara's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 183
Threads: 29
Thanked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Its B
And thanx everyone up for such informative discussion about the Pathophysiology of Honey moon :P.

Really needed a break and got fresh after reading it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Answer is definitely S. Saphrophyticus guys, 'honeymoon' cystitis is a buzz word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 05-25-2011
Claus_CU's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 113
Threads: 8
Thanked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Reputation: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momiak View Post
I'm glad to see, that'a an interesting topic for a discussion
Thanks everybody for your answers)

The RIGHT ANSWER is E. Coz E.Coli is the most common cause of cystitis.
This is from Kaplan and the right answer is E.Coli.

This is from Harvard Medical School:
"Some women encounter cystitis for the first time shortly after they become sexually active, developing so-called "honey-moon cystitis". During intercourse, bacteria in and around the vagina are pushed up into the urethra.
Because the female urethra is short, the bacteria do not have to travel far to reach the bladder. Eight of 10 times the infecting organism is E.Coli, a bacterium that thrives in the digestive tract"

This is from Kelley's Essentials of Internal Medicine, pp 574:
"Various risk groups are associated with an increased incidence of UTI. The association of UTI with sexual intercourse in women is reflected in the term honeymoon cystitis, because many episodes of bacteriuria develop within 24 hours of intercourse. Women who use a diaphragm have a greater risk of UTI than women who use other contraceptive methods, with E.coli being the most frequently isolated pathogen."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 05-25-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus_CU View Post
This is from Kaplan and the right answer is E.Coli.

This is from Harvard Medical School:
"Some women encounter cystitis for the first time shortly after they become sexually active, developing so-called "honey-moon cystitis". During intercourse, bacteria in and around the vagina are pushed up into the urethra.
Because the female urethra is short, the bacteria do not have to travel far to reach the bladder. Eight of 10 times the infecting organism is E.Coli, a bacterium that thrives in the digestive tract"

This is from Kelley's Essentials of Internal Medicine, pp 574:
"Various risk groups are associated with an increased incidence of UTI. The association of UTI with sexual intercourse in women is reflected in the term honeymoon cystitis, because many episodes of bacteriuria develop within 24 hours of intercourse. Women who use a diaphragm have a greater risk of UTI than women who use other contraceptive methods, with E.coli being the most frequently isolated pathogen."
This is odd because KLN Specifically state S. Saphrophyticus as the causative agent of 'honeymoon cystitis'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 05-25-2011
Claus_CU's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 113
Threads: 8
Thanked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Reputation: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
This is odd because KLN Specifically state S. Saphrophyticus as the causative agent of 'honeymoon cystitis'
Your are right: S. saphrophyticus can cause honeymoon cystitis...BUT is not the only cause!...if you have to choose between SS and E.coli, you have to go with the gram (-) => far more common

here is the explanation from kaplan: (snapshot)

Honeymoon cystitis; Describe the microorganism!-cystits.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bebix (05-25-2011)
  #28  
Old 05-25-2011
qurat21's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 623
Threads: 62
Thanked 287 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 297
Default

im so confused
eeee!!!.... this honeymoon thing hs really messed up my concept
GOD!! hw wud a real honeymoon go??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bebix (05-25-2011), Claus_CU (05-25-2011)
  #29  
Old 08-26-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default The cahnces of E- Coli....

There is major chances of E-coli in such a case.
I am agree with some of these people who insist on
E-coli....


Smith Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 08-26-2011
val7's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 557
Threads: 29
Thanked 296 Times in 186 Posts
Reputation: 316
Default

It's called "honeymoon cystitis" because cystitis often occurs after increased frequence of intercourse, for example during the honeymoon. But also after a new partner, and so on. So it definitely doesn't mean it happens after the first time!
E.coli is by far the most common organism causing it, in my school we learned it is the cause in 90% of all "uncomplicated" UTIs. Don't know about the percentage in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 08-26-2011
yasirsattar75's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 395
Threads: 51
Thanked 292 Times in 111 Posts
Reputation: 302
Correct Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momiak View Post
A 27 y/o woman, after returning home from her honeymoon, has developed urinary frequency, disuria, urgency. Her urine is grossly bloody. Which lab data are most likely to define the causal agent?

a. A gram negative doplococcus, which is oxidase + but do not ferment maltose
b. a gram positive coccus, which is catalase + ang coagulase -
c. an optochin resisitant. catalase -, gram positive coccus
d. a gram positive bacillus grow on a low oxidation-reduction medium
e. a gram-negative bacterium capable of reducting nitrates to nitrites
sure its B
__________________
study study till ur brain is saturated
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 08-26-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 58
Threads: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Honeymoon cystitis E.coli i 'd go with choice E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Microbiology-, Step-1-Questions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)